What Is the Best Air Purifier If You Have Animals?
- Best Air Purifier for Pets Overall: Levoit Air Purifier for Home Pets
Multiple filters are available for this purifier, making this a very versatile and handy little air purifier.
- Best Air Purifier for Pets for Large Rooms: Levoit Air Purifiers for Large Room with Washable Filters
This air filter can clean a 900 sq. ft. room in an hour, uses a HEPA-type filtration system, and operates at only 23 dB of noise.
- Best Air Purifier for Pets for Small Spaces: Afloia Air Purifier For Home – Three Stage Air Filtration
This air purifier can fit on a desk or any other small place and efficiently cleans the air in a room up to 220 sq. ft.
- Best Air Purifier for Pets for Effectiveness: Himox Air Purifiers with HEPA Air Filter
The filtration system in this purifier is capable of cleaning air down to .01 microns thus being the most effective option.
- Best Air Purifier for Pet with Hepa: Bissell Air180 Home Air Purifier with HEPA and Carbon Filters
This air purifier is able to clean the air of a 2,000 sq. ft. room in just one hour and features the popular HEPA filter.
- Best Air Purifier for Pets for Tech-Savy Owners: Levoit Air Purifiers Smart WiFi for Large Room
This purifier is WiFi compatible and can be controlled with an app, Alexa, or Google Assistant for added convenience.
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA Air Purifier can purify large rooms, such as bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens, and basements. Purify a 403 ft² room 5x per hour and a 990 ft² room 2x per hour
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, which traps viruses, bacteria, pollen, dust, and pet dander, and a Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter that helps neutralize odors, cooking and wildfire smoke, and VOCs
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy and wildfire seasons helps capture allergens that cause sneezing, congestion, breathing difficulties, and other symptoms.
Do Air Purifiers Get Rid of Pet Smells?
Yes, some air purifiers for pets help get rid of pet odors.
A true HEPA filter can remove pet smells, pet dander, and allergens from the air that are caused by pet fur. It does not, however, remove pet smells from furniture, walls, or carpet. Those areas require a more hands-on approach to eliminating odors.
The Best Air Purifiers for Pets Reviewed
There are dozens of air purifiers on the market. Therefore, finding the best air purifier for pets can be tricky. Here we reviewed several best-sellers so you can find the one that fits your needs best.
Features: Ozone-free, Core 300 True HEPA filter, sleep mode, various filters available, sleep mode
Size: 8.7 x 8.7 x 14.2 inches
Summary: This high-performance air purifier for pets uses a Core 300 True HEPA filtration system to filter out air impurities as small as .03 microns. It cleans the air in spaces up to 547 square feet in just 30 minutes. It features a sleep mode and a quiet 24-decibel motor, and multiple filters to suit your needs. It uses an ozone-free system to filter the air and is perfect for small rooms.
- Multiple filters are available
- Ozone free operation
- Sleep mode quiets the unit at night
- Only reaches 24 decibels of noise
- HEPA filtration system
- The fan may be too noisy for some people
Review: Most of the over 68,000 reviews on Amazon were positive. Buyers were happy with the size of this air purifier for pets, saying it wasn’t too big, but it wasn’t so small that it felt like it wasn’t working. It worked to help clear up their allergies, and they were happy it was very quiet, and they could run it at all times of the day. Critics of this air purifier were disappointed that it put off a plastic smell when running, and some complained it was too loud.
Features: Ozone-free, 3-stage filtration system, washable pre-filter, 23-decibel operation
Size: 13.8 x 8 x 17.58 inches
Summary: This medium-sized air filtration unit uses an ozone-free system and never uses UV-C light. It is powerful enough to clean the air in a 300-square-foot room in just 18 minutes but only emits 23 decibels of noise. The design, with its upward-facing vent, allows you to put this air cleaner anywhere in a room. This air purifier for pets features an auto-mode timer for 2, 4, or 8 hours and a check filter light for when it is time to replace the filter.
- Operates at only 23 decibels
- Energy efficient
- Can be placed anywhere in a room
- Three-stage filtration with washable pre-filter and activated carbon filter
- Can be set to operate at 2, 4, or 8–hour intervals
- Replacement filters are a bit pricey
Review: Users thoroughly like this air purifier for pets. They say they can feel the “dust mites disappear” when using this true HEPA air purifier, and they are happy with the indoor air quality even a day of use provides. Negative reviews only make up 3% of total reviews. Complaints vary with this product, with some buyers upset the prices of filters have gone up and others saying they received repackaged air filters and that this upset them.
Features: 3-Stage HEPA filtration system, 24 dB of noise, 2, 4, and 8-hour timer, 5-year warranty
Size: 7.48 x 7.48 x 15.75 inches
Summary: This tiny air purifier for pets can clean up to 99.99% of the air in a 220 sq. ft. room in just 15 minutes. It features an imported HEPA filter and a high-efficiency activated carbon filter to capture allergens, smoke, and dander. It operates at just 24 dB of noise and can be timed to shut off during quiet moments. Using a 100% ozone-free method of purification, this small air purifier can clean air down to .01 microns for ultra-clean air.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- 3-stage filtration system
- Cleans air down to .01 microns
- 100% ozone-free operation
- Just 24 dB of noise
- Only made for small rooms, not entire houses
Review: Pet owners were happy with the effectiveness this little air purifier for pets has on the air in their homes. Some buyers bought a second one because they were so impressed with how well their first one worked in smaller spaces. Dissatisfied buyers were upset to find their purifier is not cleaning the air the way they had hoped. A common complaint was about how noisy the fan was, with some saying it was louder than their box fan.
Features: 21-55 dB noise level, medical-grade H13 HEPA Filtration system, CARB certified, top vent, auto mode monitors air 24/7
Size: 7 x 11 x 22 inches
Summary: This air purifier for pets is capable of cleaning the air in a 1,500 sq. ft. room in just 30 minutes. It uses a medical-grade H13 HEPA filtration system that gathers both large particles and small particles from the air before you can breathe them in. It features an auto mode that automatically senses the air quality in real-time and turns on when needed. It is CARB certified and can safely run at full speed 24 hours a day, seven days a week if necessary.
- Medical grade H13 HEPA filter
- Removes up to 99.99% of air impurities
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- 100% ozone-free operation
- Great for large rooms
- When running at max capacity, the fan puts out around 55 dB of noise, which can be loud for some people
Review: Positive reviews mention this is a great filter for their larger rooms. People with life-long allergies are happy they can breathe freely inside their house after having used this filter for only a short period of time. Unhappy customers complain that there are no replacement filters available for this air purifier for pets.
Features: 3-stage filtration system, 4 fan speeds, filter change indicator, medical-grade HEPA filter
Size: 24.7 x 13.2 x 12.7 inches
Summary: Cleaning up to 1,3072 square feet per hour, this large air purifier for pets is meant for large rooms. It uses a 3-stage filtration system to rid homes of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and common household odors. Featuring 4 fan speeds to control noise levels, this purifier can be used at all times of day and night. It features inbound airflow vents on all four sides so that this purifier can be used in any corner of the house.
- Quiet operation at only 27 decibels
- 360-degree air intake
- HEPA air filtration system
- Removes 99.97% of airborne contaminants
- Purchases support the BISSELL Pet Foundation
- Can lead to excessively dry air
Review: Happy buyers exclaim “this air purifier works” and call it a “workhorse for allergy relief.” They enjoyed the way the air smelled after using this large room air purifier and said it smelled and felt like “fresh outside air.” The only complaint was a lengthy explanation about how this air purifier for pets put forth an odd smell.
Features: App controlled, Smart WiFi and PM2.5 monitor, H13 True HEPA filter, auto mode
Size: 10.79 x 10.79 x 20.47 inches
Summary: The Levoit Core smart a air purifier for pets is capable of cleaning a 2,000-square-foot room in just one hour. It features a 3-stage filtration system that operates at a whisper noise level of 24 decibels. This air purifier helps to combat allergies and asthma and allows you to view the air quality on a PM2.5 display. Hands-free voice command allows you to take control with Alexa and Google Assistant to control the settings when your hands are full.
- Hands-free operation
- Emits only 24 decibels of noise
- Medical-grade HEPA air filtration
- Perfect for large rooms
- Can be controlled from an app
- The app requests a lot of access to your phone
Review: People with allergies, asthma, and COPD said in the reviews their ailments had “met their match” with this air filter. They were happy with the ease with which they could control the air purifier for pets from their phone and with hands-free voice commands. Other customers were not fans of how much access the app wanted to their phones.
What Should I Look for in an Air Purifier for Pets?
When looking for the best air purifier for pets, you need to consider several features:
- Filters. Seek out a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter for the best results. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), these filters remove up to 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). This indicates the volume of filtered air the purifier delivers into a room within a specified amount of time. Manufacturers will list the recommended room size on the label and a CADR score that is based on the appliance changing the air 4.8 times per hour.
- Room Size. Air filters are made for specific scenarios. Using a purifier that is made for a room smaller than it is placed in will limit its effectiveness in keeping the room air clean.
- Additional Features. These include some useful features such as timers, air quality meters, and filter replacement indicators. All of these are made to make your life a little easier when using an air filter in your home.
Is There an Air Purifier With a Filter for Pet Hair?
Yes, the best air purifiers for pets have pet hair filters.
Where Is the Best Place to Put an Air Purifier for Pets?
The best place for an air purifier for pets is typically the room in which the pet spends most of their time.
Placing the purifier by the vent in this room with several feet of clear floor space around it can help to greatly reduce the amount of pet odor and pet dander that gets into your home’s ventilation system, preventing it from spreading.
Are Air Purifiers Worth It for Pets?
Yes, the best air purifiers for pets are worth it.
About 1 in 5 people suffer from some level of pet allergy, and using an air purifier can make the lives of those who have allergies a little easier. In some cases, it can even allow people who like pets but are allergic to own a pet.
Using an air purifier with the right filter in the right space can do wonders in helping your home to smell fresher and eliminate dust that enters and is spread throughout the house.
Air purifiers only work if you do – changing the filters when necessary, preventing the purifier to become bogged down, and keeping the space in front of it clear are all required steps in allowing an air purifier to work properly.