What is the Best Antifungal Shampoo for Cats?
- Best Overall Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo
pH-balanced shampoo with vet-grade ingredients that combat infections and deodorize.
- Best Medicated Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: Pet MD Medicated Shampoo for Cats
Great combination of medical strength ingredients to treat a variety of skin conditions.
- Best Antifungal Shampoo for Cats with Skin Irritation: Douxo S3 PYO Shampoo
Hypoallergenic formula that helps with skin irritations, dry skin, dandruff, and skin lesions.
- Best Scent-Free Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: Dechra Mal-a-ket Formulated for Cats
Fragrance-free shampoo that is efficient in treating both fungal and bacterial skin infections.
- Best Antiseptic Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: Dechra TrizCHLOR 4 Shampoo for Cats
Soothing, antimicrobial shampoo with the ability to treat pyoderma and other infections.
- Best USA-Made Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: Jungle Pet Antiseptic Shampoo
USA-made pet shampoo for treating fungal dermatitis and other types of skin infections.
- Best Multi-Use Antifungal Shampoo for Cats: VetWELL Micoseb Medicated Shampoo for Cats
Made with effective antifungal and antibacterial ingredients, this shampoo is fast-acting.
Can I Use Anti-Fungal Shampoo on My Cat?
Yes, the antifungal shampoo for cats is safe. You can use antifungal shampoo on your cat, provided your cat is older than 12 weeks, and you stick to the instructions provided on the product’s label.
Antifungal shampoos are used in the management of fungal skin infections. It is advisable to talk to your trusted veterinarian about the overall treatment and how the shampoo fits into the plan.
However, you should consult with your veterinarian about when antifungal shampoo is necessary and how to use it.
How do Antifungal Shampoos Work for Cats?
Yes, the antifungal shampoo for cats works. Antifungal shampoos usually feature active ingredients that work against fungi (ketoconazole or miconazole). Soma antifungal shampoos can also contain a broad-spectrum antiseptic such as chlorhexidine.
The Best Antifungal Cat Shampoos Reviewed
When searching for an antifungal shampoo for cats in the pet care section, you will find dozens of products. Before clicking checkout, take a look at some of the best antifungal cat shampoos.
Summary: Formulated with benzethonium chloride and ketoconazole, this pet shampoo is made to combat ringworm and other types of fungal infections. It can also help with hair loss, scaly skin, and greasiness. The shampoo is pH-balanced and vet-recommended. It is soap-free and free from harsh chemicals. Available at an affordable price, the shampoo can be used for dogs and cats.
Key Ingredients: Benzethonium chloride, ketoconazole as the antifungal
- Antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic features
- Made with veterinary-grade ingredients
- Comes in spray and shampoo varieties
- Does not wash off topical flea and tick treatments
- Available at an affordable price
- Floral scent is reported (not mentioned on the label)
Review: Many reviewers commented on its effectiveness against ringworm and yeast infections. Some reviewers on Amazon report a floral scent that is not specified on the shampoo label.
Summary: Vet-strength antifungal medicated shampoo made with ketoconazole and chlorhexidine to treat major causes of skin infections, lesions (acne, pustules), and mechanical injuries (abrasions, minor cuts). Plus, it contains aloe and oatmeal for a soothing effect on your pet’s skin. Made in the USA, in small batches, the shampoo is safe for dogs, cats, and horses.
Key Ingredients: Chlorhexidine, ketoconazole, oatmeal, aloe
- Veterinary-strength active ingredients
- Designed for sensitive skin
- Rich in skin soothers and moisturizers
- Suitable for dogs and cats
- Made in the USA
- The scent can be too strong for some
Review: Buyers largely gave praise to the effectiveness of the Pet MD medicated shampoo. Most consumers described the scent as “pleasant” or “soft,” but others complained it was too strong for their pet.
Summary: Antiseptic shampoo containing ophytrium and chlorhexidine to eliminate fungal skin infections and strengthen the skin’s physical barrier. The shampoo helps with other skin infections, inflammations, and different types of dermatitis. It cleanses and moisturizes and is free from soaps, dyes, sulfates, parabens, artificial fragrances, and nanoparticles.
Key Ingredients: Ophytrium and chlorhexidine
- #1 non-prescription topical brand
- Soap-free, sulfate-free, and paraben-free
- Moisturizes skin and detangles fur
- Fast-acting formula (effects after seven days)
- Easy-to-use pump bottle
- More expensive than other products
Review: Customer reviews on Amazon state it was effective to reduce skin infections and hotspots when other medications wouldn’t. However, some reviews express concern about a change in the formula due to a difference in texture and smell.
Summary: Antibacterial and antifungal shampoo formulated for cats, dogs, and horses. The potent yet gentle formula features broad-spectrum chlorhexidine gluconate and antifungal ketoconazole to treat fungal and bacterial skin infections.
Key Ingredients: Chlorhexidine gluconate and ketoconazole
- Antibacterial and antifungal features
- With broad-spectrum antiseptic
- Gel texture for easy use and lathering
- Great for moisturizing the cat’s skin
- Scent-free formula that is easy on the nose
- Ingredients are not clearly stated online.
Review: Customer reviews state that Dechra Mal-a-ket Formulated for Cats is effective in reducing skin infections. Some pet owners complained of an increase in itchiness, even when the shampoo is coupled with an anti-itch medication.
Summary: Water-based medicated shampoo containing chlorhexidine, TrizDETA, and betaine for soothing your pet’s skin and managing different types of skin infections. TrizCHLOR 4 shampoo is available with or without a prescription. The pet shampoo is made in the USA and is safe for dogs, cats, and horses.
Key Ingredients: Chlorhexidine, TrizDETA, and betaine
- Antimicrobial effect that cleans and hydrates
- Water-based, non-irritating formula
- Does not require a veterinary prescription
- Suitable for dogs, cats, and horses
- Made in the USA
- The container was brittle or leaking
Review: Most reviews are complimentary, stating the product does its job well, although those who left critical reviews often noted the container was damaged or malfunctioning.
Summary: Antifungal and antibacterial shampoo for dogs and cats containing ketoconazole and chlorhexidine. Formulated work on ringworm and to reduce hotspots and itching, the high-quality shampoo manages various skin issues. Plus, the shampoo has a pleasant fragrance that deodorizes and keeps dogs smelling fresh.
Scent: Cucumber melon
Key Ingredients: Chlorhexidine and ketoconazole
- Suitable for various skin conditions
- Antifungal and antibacterial features
- Speeds up skin healing
- Can be used on both dogs and cats
- Made in the USA and affordable
- Low conditioning effect
Review: Customer reviews note great efficacy on hot spots, ringworm, and insect bites. They note it is effective on skin issues but can leave the fur rough as it does not contain potent conditioners.
Summary: Veterinary strength medicated shampoo for dogs, cats, and horses with 2% miconazole nitrate and 2% chlorhexidine gluconate. Made with soothing aloe vera, the shampoo nourishes and hydrates the cat’s skin while fighting skin infections and irritation. It also offers relief to itchy skin. It can be used on dogs, cats, and horses.
Key Ingredients: Miconazole nitrate and chlorhexidine gluconate
- Veterinary strength medicated shampoo
- For a broad spectrum of skin conditions
- Suitable for dogs, cats, and horses
- Fragrance-free and pH-balanced for pets
- Made in the USA
- The shampoo does not lather very easy
Review: Consumers largely give praise to safe ingredients and their effects on skin issues. While they noted it works well, they also stated there was little to no lather when using, and the bottle is sold without a tamper-proof seal.
What Should I Look for in Antifungal Shampoo for Cats?
Here are the things pet owners need to consider when choosing the best antifungal shampoo for cats:
- Active Ingredients. An antifungal shampoo will have at least one antimicrobial or antiseptic ingredient. Ideally, the shampoo should feature several active ingredients.
- Skin-Soothing Properties. In addition to the main active ingredient, the shampoo should have soothing and nourishing ingredients like aloe, coconut oil, shea butter, etc.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The ideal antifungal shampoo for cats is free from harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients (more details in the section below).
- Fragrance. Cat shampoos come in various scents. You need to choose one that will suit both you and your cat. There are also unscented shampoos.
- Ease of Use. The shampoo should be of the right consistency and lather easily. It should also come in an easy-to-use and practical bottle.
- Brand. Finally, check the brand – a reliable one will be transparent about its ingredients and manufacturing practices. You can also read reviews from other pet owners.
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Medicated Shampoo for pets is scientifically formulated with benzethonium chloride (antibacterial) and ketoconazole (antifungal) to relieve bacterial & yeast infections.
- This shampoo for dogs/cats is pH balanced for your pet and paraben and soap-free. It will not remove topical spot-on flea and tick treatments and has been proven to safely treat Bacterial Pyoderma and allergic/fungal dermatitis.
- Medicated antiseptic and antifungal shampoo is for use on both dogs and cats over 12 weeks of age. Use twice weekly until skin conditions clear up, then once a week to prevent flare-ups.
What Ingredients Should Not be in an Antifungal Cat Shampoo?
Not every ingredient featured in antifungal shampoos for cats is safe. Here are the ingredients you should avoid:
- Sulfates. Sulfates work as cleaning agents and help create lather. However, they are harsh and associated with exacerbated symptoms and skin irritation.
- Parabens. Parabens are chemical preservatives used to extend the shampoo’s shelf life. Sadly, they get absorbed and accumulated, causing hormonal disorders and cancer.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are, in fact, fragrances that improve the scent of the shampoo. They are known to cause intense hormonal disorders.
- Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a preservative that triggers the immune system and results in itchiness, burning, blistering, and scaling of the skin.
- Artificial Colors. Synthesized from petroleum, dyes are associated with different health issues such as allergic reactions, cancer, organ failure, and birth defects.
- Artificial Fragrances. Artificial fragrances are derived from various ingredients and may cause cancer and reproductive issues, and developmental toxicity.
- Lanolin. Lanolin is a controversial ingredient as it is suspected to cause organ toxicity. Plus, it is often contaminated with dioxane and ethylene oxide.
How Often Should I Bathe a Cat With Antifungal Shampoo?
Typically the antifungal shampoo for cats is to be used every 3-4 days for up to 8 weeks, but you should always follow the manufacturer’s directions to ensure the best results. Or, even better, talk to your trusted vet and ask for advice on how long to use the shampoo.
How Fast does Antifungal Shampoo for Cats Work?
The antifungal shampoo for cats starts working the moment it is applied to the cat’s skin. However, depending on the type and severity of the fungal skin infection, a visible improvement will be seen within two to four weeks after initial use.
How Long does Antifungal Shampoo for Cats Last?
In many cases, medicated baths are recommended on a weekly basis. Based on the exact type of skin infection and severity of the symptoms, the vet may recommend daily baths.
Therefore, one bottle may last for the entire treatment of the cat. However, this depends on the cat’s size and the amount of shampoo in the bottle.