Which Automatic Pet Feeder is Best?
- Best Overall Automatic Cat Feeder: PETLIBRO Automatic Cat Feeder Triple Preservation Dry Food Dispenser
This is our top pick when it comes to an automatic cat feeder because of its excellent reviews on platforms such as Amazon and Chewy.
- Most Innovative Automatic Cat Feeder: PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
This innovative cat feeder offers slow feed and portion control features making it among the most useful among other similar products.
- Most Affordable Automatic Cat Feeder: Amazon Basics Gravity Pet Food Feeder
Known for its high-quality yet affordable products, this automatic cat feeder makes every mealtime a special one for your cat.
- Automatic Cat Feeder with Most Features: PETLIBRO Automatic Cat Feeder 5G WiFi Cat Feeder with APP Control
Build with WiFi, this programmable cat feeder is loaded with features and can provide 1-10 portions per day.
- Most Convenient Automatic Cat Feeder: Ymiko Automatic Cat Feeder
With 4 programmable feeding time settings and voice recordings, this automatic feeder makes food time a lot more convenient for you and your cat.
- Best Automatic Cat Feeder for Portability: PETKIT Automatic Cat Feeder with Stainless Steel Bowl
With a sleek and premium design, this automatic cat feeder is highly portable and makes it easy to feed your cat.
- Most Unique Automatic Cat Feeder: hipidog Automatic Pet Feeder
This unique automatic cat feeder does not need any electricity to work and is even easy to clean ensuring a hygienic environment.
- Safest Automatic Cat Feeder: PetSafe Healthy Pet Food Station Gravity Pet Feeder
This dishwasher-safe automatic cat feeder works mainly on gravity and is available in a range of sizes according to your needs.
- Patented rotor on our auto cat food dispenser in the bottom of the tank and the secure twist-lock lid to keep pets from getting food.
- Easily monitor the pet food level through the transparent window and replenish food in time.
- PETLIBRO timed cat feeder can set 1-6 meals daily and up to 50 portions per meal
Are Automatic Feeders for Cats Good?
Yes, automatic cat feeders are good.
Automatic feeders make it easier for you to feed your cat and are a trending product among pet parents. With improvements in technology, you can also feed your cat with the help of your mobile phone when you are not at home.
This ensures that your feline friend does not go hungry or thirsty. While most automatic feeders work only with dry cat food, there are some that are great even with wet foods.
There are some advantages to using an automatic feeder:
- Always Fresh Kibble. Since most feeders contain a storage area for the food, it ensures that your cat is given fresh kibble for every meal. These storage spaces are airtight and ensure that the food does not spoil.
- Fixed Feeding Schedule. Automatic feeders help fix a schedule for when your cat needs to be fed. You have the feed option of 1 to 10 servings per day, depending on your requirement. Just press a button and their food bowl/food tray is filled with food fresh out of the feeder.
- Smart Feed System. Pour your cat a cup of food when you are not around. Many brands of feeders feature WiFi which cat owners can use to feed their cats. Your cat is out of water? You can also get automatic water fountains that work just like a feeder.
- Consistent Portion Sizes. Does your cat have an unhealthy eating habit? Fix the amount of food you want to give your cat for every meal.
- Great Food Storage. Making things convenient for pet owners, feeders also have the option to store food. By giving out only the required portions, these act as a slow feeder ensuring your cat does not gulp down the food.
- Power Outage Backup. Most feeders come with a power adapter and need a power supply to work. However, they also have inbuilt batteries which help them work when there is no electricity. These feeders are small, compact, and easy to pick up to be carried around.
How do Automatic Cat Feeders Work?
Automatic feeders can work great with cats, small dogs, and even other pets to a large extent. Their main job is to deliver a fixed portion of food for your pet at a fixed time interval. You can pre-schedule the food and set the time when it needs to be delivered.
Some feeders allow almost 12 feedings to be pre-scheduled to make things convenient for pet parents. Many feeders can also be paired with a water dispenser that works with the same principle.
While some feeders are high-tech with RFID, LCD screens, and Microchips, some are as basic as an inverted storage device. These simple feeders work using gravity and portion out food as and when required.
In our opinion, an automatic dog or cat feeder is an important tool that can make things easy to manage for your pet. It is just as important as buying your cat some cat toys.
The Best Automatic Cat Feeders Reviewed
There are dozens of automatic cat feeders on the market. We have carefully selected and reviewed the best products.
Summary: This automatic cat feeder is great for keeping your cat fed throughout the day. Whether it is for breakfast or several meals per day, you can control how much and how often your cat eats per day. You can keep the feeder powered up with the help of a USB type C cable. It also features a secondary power source through alkaline batteries which take over when the primary power is cut off. It also makes a great gift for pet parents.
- BPA-free machine & stainless steel bowl
- Freshness in every bite
- 0-5 times meal call setting
- Pet poaching proof
- Detachable for clean
- Dual power supply
- Uses triple seal lock to keep food fresh
- Set 1-6 meals daily
- Up to 50 portions per meal
- Equipped with a manual feeding button for rewards
- Features dual power supply for power backup
- Does not have WiFi
- Extra batteries not provided with the kit
Reviews: This meal pet feeder is the perfect addition to your home. It is reliable and will keep your cat fed throughout the day. It features a triple-seal lock that keeps food fresh. Customers give the product 4.5 out of 5.
Summary: This automatic cat feeder features a translucent hopper that acts as a low food indicator. It is also easy to lock so that your cat does not sneak an extra bite here and there. It also works using two modes of power – adapter and batteries. You can schedule up to 12 meals daily from 1/8 cup up to 4 cups per meal depending on your cat’s needs. This helps pet parents keep a check on their cat’s weight and overall health.
- Portable feeder
- Pet-proof dispenser
- Dual power supply
- 2 meal splitter for two cats
- Lock feature
- Schedule up to 12 meals per day
- 1/8 cup to 4 cups per meal
- Works with 4 D-cell alkaline batteries or power adaptor
- Great for pets that eat very fast
- Easy to clean
- The power adapter is not included
- The slow feed option might be too slow for some pets
Reviews: This automatic feeder is almost 2 kilos in weight and is still easily portable. You can use it to feed up to two cats. Customers give the product 4.4 out of 5.
Summary: This lightweight gravity cat feeder is only 0.85 Pounds. This not only makes it easily portable, but it is also easy to wash and set up. it can hold a significant amount of food that is suitable for two cats. It is available as a feeder and a feeder + water dispenser in two sizes. The storage area is transparent so you can keep a check on the levels of food that is still left to eat. It also features side handles making it easy to lift.
- Gravity pet feeder & waterer
- Side handles and non-slip feet
- One-year warranty
- Easy to clean
- Easy to use
- Works great for two cats
- Features extra-wide mouth and removable lid
- Holds up to 6 pounds of dry pet food
- Works on gravity so cannot be automated
- Made using a very basic design
Reviews: This food dispenser has a lock function so you can keep your sneaky cats from overeating and then falling ill. It is also easy to wash. Customers give the product 4.5 out of 5.
Summary: If you spend a lot of time at your work and need an efficient way to feed your cat, this automatic feeder is what you need. It boasts a range of features and can be controlled remotely with the help of your smartphone. It has a patented locking feature so that your cat does not end up with extra bites and also has a clear case in which food is stored. This helps you keep track of how much food is left in the feeder to allow for easy replacement.
- 5G and 2.4G WiFi – easy to use
- Low food & blockage sensor
- For pet dry food only
- Twist-lock lid
- Meal call recording
- Stainless steel bowl
- Extra manual feeding
- Works with a smartphone easily
- Dual power supply
- Set up to 10 meals per day with 1-50 portions per meal
- Features food-grade stainless steel bowl
- Sends notifications to your phone to monitor your cat
- Does not include alkaline batteries
- Might be difficult to set up for some pet parents
Reviews: This is among the most feature-laden automatic pet food feeder. It is unique as it can be controlled with your smartphone. Customers give the product 4.5 out of 5.
Summary: Using this automatic cat feeder, you can set personalized feeding time periods for your cat. It requires very low power to work and successfully dispenses food even on the go. This helps keep your cat on a routine when it comes to food. It also allows you to include a voice recording which acts as a great way to bond with your pet when you are not around. It can hold enough food to last your cat for almost seven days.
- 4 programmable feeding time settings
- Anti-clogging design
- Dual power supply
- 10s voice recording
- Easy to set up & clean
- Uses very low power to work
- Can work with two sources of power
- Can be used to record your voice for your pet
- Easy to clean which ensures hygiene
- Easy to assemble and set up
- The product is not very durable
- Might not be very portable
Reviews: This is a great product for feeding your cat, especially if they are not used to a feeding routine. It is, however, not very durable. Customers give the product 4.5 out of 5.
Summary: If your cat has a habit of asking for food at 3 AM, this automatic feeder is just for you. You can provide them meals right from your smartphone without even being in the same room as your cat. It is easy to clean as its feeding bowl is detachable. This helps keep the product hygienic, ensuring that your cat stays healthy. It works with two power sources – an adapter and batteries. The batteries, however, are not included.
- Fresh lock
- High-precision impellers
- Detachable bowl
- Magnetic attachments
- Control through smartphone
- Dual power
- Easy to clean
- Easy to set portion sizes
- Easy to use
- Weighs the food every time
- Back up power
- Backup batteries not included
- Might face some glitches
Reviews: This is a great automatic feeder for cats especially if they are not on a feeding routine. It is easy to clean. Customers give the product 4.3 out of 5.
Summary: This automatic supply feeder and waterer set is just the thing to include in your home if you have an exceptionally hungry cat. Use this feeder to make mealtimes a breeze with your cat. No more meowing at 4 AM in the morning as your cat can help themselves to a meal when they want. It is additionally easy to clean, highly portable, and has an environmentally friendly design. It also has rubber feet for added grip.
- Food-grade material
- Gravity feeding mechanism
- 100% BPA-free
- Non-slip rubber feet
- Easy to clean
- No electricity is required
- Eco-friendly design
- Easily portable
- Large capacity design
- No portioning of food
- Easy for your cat to overeat
Reviews: This product works without any electricity. However, it is convenient for your cat to eat a large portion which might lead to obesity. Customers give the product 4.5 out of 5.
Summary: This gravity-driven automatic cat food dispenser is great for your feline friend if they usually get hungry at random times. It is made with a simple design making it easy to assemble and clean. It is also available as a set along with a water dispenser that offers filtered water. This can keep your cat hydrated easily and help them stay active throughout the day. It has the ability to hold almost 2 pounds of food which can last your cat several days.
- Water is filtered with a carbon filter
- Dishwasher safe
- Holds 2 pounds of food
- Easy to Clean
- Made with safe materials
- Portable design
- Available with water bowl also
- Available in a range of sizes
- No automation in food dispensing
- Easy for your cat to overeat with this product
Reviews: While this is a cat feeder that has a basic design, the product is made using premium materials and therefore is highly durable. Customers give the product 4.4 out of 5.
What Should I Look for in an Automatic Cat Feeder?
There are a few things that need to be kept in mind while choosing an automatic cat feeder:
- Size. If you have a small cat or a small dog, then you can opt for a feeder that is also small. You need to consider the capacity of the feeder along with its footprint. Capacity is the amount of food it can store. The footprint is the space it occupies in your home.
- Features. There are a ton of features that you can get in automatic feeders today. Some offer both feeding and drinking stations. Others work on WiFi and can be activated from a different corner of the world. You have to consider what feature you need and look for the one that suits your needs.
- Portability. While feeders will be placed in one corner of your home, it still needs to be portable in case you want to move around with your pet. It should be easy to carry in your car and not be too heavy.
- Ease of Use. Finally, the feeder must be easy to use and not become an inconvenient addition to your home. The operating instructions must be clear and understandable to pet owners. Additionally, your pet also needs to be aware of what the feeder is all about.
How do I Train My Cat to Use an Automatic Feeder?
These are the steps you should follow to help your cat get used to the automatic feeder –
- Place the device in a convenient location that is easily accessible to your cat. This helps you introduce the device to them.
- Place some cat treats in the folder bowl. This will help them understand that the feeder is for food. Additionally, you can also allow your cat to play with the feeder.
- Some feeders are activated using a button. You can use toys to help your cat learn to push the button. Reward them with treats when they use them correctly. This will help form the connection between the button and the food.
- Finally, repeat the process several times till your cats associate the feeder with their daily meals.
What Time Should I Set My Automatic Cat Feeder?
It is recommended that cats be fed two large meals 12 hours apart. Therefore, you can set the feeder to dispense the food at 7 am and 7 pm.
What this does is ensures that your cat follows a feeding routine. This not only helps them prevent obesity, bloating, and other digestive disorders, but it also ensures easy management of litter.
How Long Can You Leave a Cat Alone With an Automatic Feeder?
While this is a debatable question, we recommended 24 hours at max. This is because it can cause an imbalance of food associations in your cat’s brain. This can thus disturb your cat’s feeding routine and they will end up overeating or stress-eating which could lead to several health problems.