As a cat owner, you probably consider your house cat as part of the family. But have you ever wondered what your cat’s actual family is? Well, you can use a cat test to find out your cat’s ancestry and cat parents – as well as genetic markers and traits to boot! With so many cat DNA test kits out there, you might be wondering which one to choose.
In this cat DNA test reviews, we will examine the pros and cons of three DNA test kits – the Basepaws cat DNA test, the Wisdom cat test, and the Orivet DNA test, so that you can make the best decision for your furry friend!
What Are Cat DNA Tests?
If you are utterly new to genetic testing for your feline companion, you might be wondering how cat DNA tests work and, more importantly, are DNA tests accurate? Well, in our DNA test reviews, we are going to answer these questions and more!
A cat DNA testing kit is similar to human DNA tests. You collect a DNA sample of your cat and then send the DNA sample across to laboratory analysis. You collect your cat’s DNA sample using a cheek swab that you roll around in your cat’s mouth and then leave to dry. You then put back the cheek swab into the test kit and send it back to the pet DNA test company.
Feline DNA tests usually take around three weeks for the test results to reach cat owners. In the test results, you will be provided with a detailed breakdown of your cat’s genetic makeup, the cat breeds that make up your cat, related genetic traits, predisposition to congenital disease as well as other health risks that your furry friend might be prone to.
Using all this information, cat owners can determine not only the cat’s ancestors and cat parents, but they can also use the test results to take preventive measures against the health risks and ensure health and happiness throughout your cat’s life.
Our Top Pick (Basepaws)
The best cat DNA test kit is the Basepaws test. This cat DNA kit is not only perfect for determining cat breeds and cat ancestry but also for improving your cat’s health. The best part about this cat DNA kit is that it contains a wild cat index to check for the number of wild cats that make up your cat’s breed.
What to Look for in a Dog DNA Test
Feline genetic testing is a highly complicated process, and you need to ensure that you are purchasing only the best for your furry companion. Here is everything that you need to look for in a cat breed test.
The first and foremost thing that you need to look at is how deep the test results from the genetic test are. You need to examine the number of genetic variants and genetic markers tested for by the cat genetic test kit – as well as how many genetic diseases and health risks your cat is being tested for.
Of course, you also need to look at genetic traits present within the database of the feline test to assess where your cat’s fur and beautiful bottlebrush tail have come from. Ideally, your feline DNA testing company should have at least 39 to 40 genetic diseases and trades in their database as around 38 genetic markers.
Speed of Results
One of the most important aspects of feline genetic testing includes how fast you are given the results about your cat genetics. Usually, cat owners are provided the results within a matter of 3-4 weeks or sooner.
It is extremely important for feline DNA testing to be as accurate as possible. This is because most cat parents would be using the test results from genetic testing to improve their mixed breed cat’s health and wellbeing throughout their cat’s life. Cat DNA testing should also ensure the accuracy of information regarding cat breeds and breed groups. Several cat breeders use such tests to ensure selective breeding and prevent inbreeding.
If you are a wild cat owner on a tight budget, your cat DNA kit needs to be affordable. You might be wondering, “how much does an average cat test cost?” Well, feline DNA tests usually cost around $130 for the average pet owner. However, your cat’s veterinarian and breeders might opt for an extensive chromosome map. They will require more detailed information about cat genetics, which they can use to improve a cat’s life. The cat DNA test cost might be around $500 – $600.
A cat breed health DNA test looks for genetic mutations and possible genetic diseases in your four-legged companion. Whether you have a mixed breed cat at home or a purebred cat like a Siamese cat or a Maine Coon, the best cat DNA test will ensure that you can discover the health risks related to your cat breed and improve your cat’s health. This is why you should choose a genetic testing company that provides a comprehensive breed health test for your kitty at home.
So, which is the best cat DNA test out there that fulfills all of these criteria? Let’s take a look!
Basepaws is one of the newest DNA testing companies on the block for pedigree cats and purebred cats alike, but it has made a name for itself in the short time that it has been in the market. How exactly does this cat DNA test kit compare with other cat DNA tests out there? What are some of its pros and cons, and what is included in the box? Let’s take a look!
- The breed DNA test determines the breed groups your cat belongs to and the various cat breeds that make up your feline companion.
- It provides a percentage breakdown of various breed groups and cat’s ancestry.
- This genome DNA test provides an overview of the genetic makeup of cats and the various traits and personalities associated with each breed. For instance, you can know the mystery behind your cat’s fur and unusual eyes.
- It contains a wild cat index so that you can know whether your cats are pedigree or have some wild cats mixed into them.
- Collecting the cat’s DNA sample with this cat DNA kit is simple and easy.
- It contains a health DNA test to check for common genetic diseases such as polycystic kidney disease and retinal degeneration.
- This is a relatively new genetic testing company, so the breed database is still being updated.
- Pet parents who wish to use this DNA testing kit outside the United States will have to pay a shipping fee of $15.
What’s in the Box
- Cheek to collect your cat’s sample
- A database of breed groups to identify your cat’s breed
- Information about cat ancestry and parentage
- Health information regarding possible genetic disease such as polycystic kidney disease
The Bottom Line
Basepaws is definitely the go-to genetic testing company for your cat at home. This cat DNA test kit is definitely one of our top recommendations primarily because of the accuracy and speed of results!
Wisdom Panel has made a name for itself as a brilliant dog genetic testing company, but it also offers a great cat test as well. Although the cat genetic testing kit does not test for as many cat breeds or genetic diseases as the dog equivalent does, the Wisdom test kit is still one of the best ones for cats out there. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of this cat breed DNA test kit so that you know whether you have to opt for this genetic testing company or not!
- Contains a database of more than 40 different kinds of genetic disease
- Contains more than 20 different traits, including morphology, coat colors, coat type, blood type, coat pattern etc.
- Helps you determine cat ancestry and parentage.
- Excellent customer reviews.
- Good customer support in the form of phone numbers and email.
- Not great for the average pet owner since this DNA test kit is aimed more towards breeders.
What’s in the Box
- A cheek swab test that you need to roll around in your cat’s cheek for at least 30 seconds to collect the DNA sample.
- A health test kit to improve your cat’s health.
- Breed identification which helps you determine the various cat breeds that make up your kitty at home.
The Bottom Line
The Wisdom Panel DNA testing kit for cats is definitely highly recommended. This is one of the most accurate DNA tests you will ever find. Unfortunately, since this DNA test is aimed more towards breeders than the average pet owner, it might be better for you to choose the Basepaws DNA test. That being said, if you still wish to choose the Wisdom DNA test, you don’t have to worry! This test kit performs well for pet parents too!
Orivet has proven itself to be a brilliant genetic testing company for both dogs and cats. This is a simple cheek swab test through which you collect your cat’s sample and send it across for testing. You should get your results back in a matter of 3-4 weeks. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of the Orivet cat DNA kit and understand how it stands up to other cat DNA tests out there!
- Best option for health screening as it tests for more than 40 different diseases and inherited health risks
- Test results are guaranteed within three weeks
- Simple and easy cheek swab test
- Information regarding inherited traits and personalities is also available.
- You can also use this test to check your cat’s ancestry.
- Not available for pet parents outside the United States.
- Some customer reviews have complained that the results can sometimes take more than three weeks.
What’s in the Box
- A cheek swab test that you can use to collect your cat’s DNA sample
- A health screening test.
- A cat’s DNA test for breeds and ancestry
The Bottom Line
The Orivet health screening test is one of the best you will ever find amongst all the other cat DNA tests out there. So, if your primary aim is to understand the genetic diseases that your cat might be prone to in his life, then it would be ideal for you to opt for the Orivet cat’s breed DNA test.
Our Final Thoughts
Just like you can use a dog DNA test to determine the various dog breeds that make up your canine companion at home, you can use a cat breed genetic test to do the same. Cat DNA testing can not only provide you great insight into feline genetics and cat’s ancestry, but it can also provide you with excellent information regarding possible genetic mutations and genetic disease. So, which of these cat DNA testing companies do you prefer? Let us know!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best cat DNA test?
The best cat DNA testing kit is the Basepaws genetic test. This is one of the best DNA test kits for understanding your cat’s genetic makeup, genetic markers, and various traits. Of course, it also provides you information about cat breeds and health conditions associated with your cat breed.
Are cat DNA tests accurate?
Yes, cat genetic testing is accurate depending upon which DNA test kit you opt for. Some of the most accurate genetic cat DNA test kits include the Basepaws cat DNA , Orivet cat DNA test kit, and Wisdom cat test kit.
How much does it cost to get a DNA test for your cat?
The average cost of genetic testing for your cat is around $100 to $150.
Which DNA test is the most accurate?
The Basepaws cat DNA test is the most accurate genetic testing available for cats.