From separation anxiety through fear of loud noises to old-fashioned PTSD, the list of stressors in dogs is long and complex. Therefore, it is no wonder that over 70% of all dogs manifest some form of anxiety.
Keep reading to see how CBD oil fits in your dog’s anxiety management strategy. And more importantly, to learn how to choose the best dog CBD oil.
Top 5 CBD Oils For Dogs With Anxiety
- Honest Paws – Best CBD for Dogs with Anxiety
- Simple Wag – Most Affordable
- Four Leaf Rover – Best Natural Ingredients
- NuLeaf Naturals – Best Potency
- Petly CBD – Best Flavor Range
How CBD For Dog Anxiety Works
CBD (cannabidiol) interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is present in all mammals and consists of endocannabinoids (synthesized in the body), cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2), and enzymes.
When the endocannabinoids bind with the receptors, they regulate different body functions like sleep, memory, inflammation, mood, immunity, appetite, metabolism, pain, etc. The goal of the ECS is to maintain homeostasis – a state of health and balance. Once the endocannabinoid fulfills their role, they are broken down by the enzymes.
CBD works by replacing the natural endocannabinoids and binding with the receptors, thus supporting the ECS. Since mood is one of the functions regulated by the ECS, it is easy to see the connection between CBD and anxiety relief.
Summary: When thinking about CBD oil for dogs with anxiety, Honest Paws should be your first choice because it is definitely our number one. From positive reviews and success stories to media mentions and 5-star ratings, Honest Paws is a vet-approved and recommended brand.
The Honest Paws Calm Collection offers different CBD products for calmness and relaxation. Based on your dog’s preferences, you can choose the full-spectrum Calm CBD oil, the Calm Bites with organic ingredients, the Calm Soft Chews with added L-theanine and tryptophan, or the xylitol-free CBD-infused Calm peanut butter.
- Various CBD products for anxiety management
- Premium-quality full-spectrum CBD oil with dog-friendly flavors
- Organic and extracted with CO2
- Third-party lab tests available on website
- Temporary unavailability due to high demand
Review: We like that Honest Paws offers condition-specific products and that all products are organic and of premium quality. We dislike that the occasional low stock of its CBD products. All in all, we rate Honest Paws as the best CBD oil for dogs with anxiety.
Summary: Wag believes that every dog deserves to wag its tail with happiness. And to ensure as much wagging tail as possible, the brand’s CBD oil offers an efficient yet affordable solution for one of the most common modern dog issues – anxiety.
The enriched full-spectrum CBD formula by Simple Wag is the perfect option for dogs with anxiety problems. Plus, the budget-friendly price makes this CBD product easily accessible.
- Full-spectrum formula with vitamins, antioxidants, and omegas
- Excellent cost to potency ratio
- Lab-tested and USDA certified
- Practical and eco-friendly bottle
- Offers only CBD oil and no other products
Review: We like the health-boosting CBD formula with different natural ingredients and the affordability of the oils. We dislike the limited selection of CBD pet products. All in all, we rate Simple Wag as the most affordable CBD oil for dogs with anxiety.
Summary: Dogs Naturally believes in changing the dog world by offering high-quality CBD products and actively educating pet owners on popular topics. Its products are made of natural and premium-quality ingredients.
Dogs Naturally offers the perfect combo of full-spectrum CBD oil and human-grade MCT oil as a carrier. Available in various potencies, there is a Four Leaf Rover option for all anxious dogs, regardless of their size.
- Organic full-spectrum oil with natural ingredients
- CBD oil with different potencies
- Supercritical CO2 extraction method
- Certificate of Analysis available
- Does not offer pet CBD treats
- No pet-specific flavors
Review: We like the careful selection of the ingredients and the availability of different CBD oil potencies. We dislike the lack of CBD dog treats and that the oils do not feature dog-friendly flavors. All in all, we rate Four Leaf Rover as the best natural ingredients CBD oil for dogs with anxiety.
Summary: As a leader in formulating and producing CBD oils for both humans and animals, NuLeaf Natural definitely makes your money worth it. Its high-quality pet CBD oil will help manage anxiety while also promoting a healthy body and mind.
NuLeaf Naturals is a pioneer and synonym of quality in the CBD market. Its CBD oils are of supreme potency and feature satisfactory high amounts of different cannabinoids. The CBD oil strength makes it perfect for large dogs with anxiety issues.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil from organic hemp
- Supreme potency and high amounts of different cannabinoids
- Human-grade ingredients and manufacturing practices
- Hemp seed oil for a carrier
- Only one pet CBD oil product
- No pet-specific flavors
Review: We like the superior potency of the CBD and the high concentrations of different cannabinoids. We dislike the limited product selection and the lack of flavored CBD oils. All in all, we rate NuLeaf Naturals as the best potency CBD oil for dogs with anxiety.
Summary: Do not be fooled by the brand’s recent presence in the pet CBD market. Petly CBD takes the science behind its products very seriously. Founded by two dog dads, the brand believes that health comes from within.
The safety, quality, and efficacy of Petly CBD products show that even though they are new on the market, they take their product seriously. The formula behind each product is scientifically backed up and made using organic and high-quality ingredients.
- Rich selection of anti-anxietypetCBD products
- 100% organic, vegan, and gluten-free
- Dog-friendly flavors
- Pet charity donations with every CBD product
- Broad-spectrum formula
Review: We like the flavor range and the selection of CBD products for dogs with anxiety. We dislike that the CBD is broad instead of full-spectrum. All in all, we rate Petly CBD as the best flavor range CBD for dogs with anxiety.
The Benefits of CBD Oil For Dogs With Anxiety
CBD helps dogs with anxiety on several levels. We already said that CBD is a potential treatment for anxiety disorders. Let’s see the science supporting this claim.
CBD Helps Promote Relaxation
The leading theory is that CBD works by modulating the brain’s response to serotonin and making the receptors in the brain more susceptible to this chemical.
Serotonin is the so-called “feel-good” hormone responsible for happiness and relaxation. In rat models, regular use of CBD has an anti-panic effect, thus promoting relaxation.
CBD Supports Normal Emotional Balance
As mentioned, CBD works through the ECS, which is responsible for balancing the nervous system. During an anxiety attack, the nerve cells are frantically firing out, leading to a chemical disbalance.
This is where the ECS steps in – it slows down the electrical misfiring and returns the chemicals in the body to baseline. In simple words, when an anxious dog is supplemented with CBD, it is like clicking the factory reset button on an electrical device.
CBD Calms Fears From Environmentally-Induced Stress
Dogs feel scared when there are inexplicable changes in their environment – loud noises, house remodeling, moving to a different home, or new family members.
CBD Helps Maintain Contentment During Separation
As an increasingly common behavioral issue, separation anxiety is a concerning modern dog ailment.
Although triggered by fear of being alone on its basis, separation anxiety triggers the same changes as any other form of anxiety. Therefore, CBD use can help promote relaxation and improve sleep in anxious dogs.
How CBD Compares to Alternative Dog Anxiety Treatments
The most benign medication option for anxiety treatment is Benadryl which is actually an antihistamine. However, not all dogs will experience a satisfactory level of anxiety relief, and Benadryl is not a long-term solution.
The second most popular choice is diazepam. According to one study, diazepam was described as very effective only in 24% of the cases and was more efficient in dogs with noise phobia than separation anxiety. 58% of the dog owners decided to discontinue the diazepam use due to side effects like sedation followed by agitation and increased activity, ataxia, increased appetite, and aggression.
In more severe cases, the mainstream for managing anxiety is drugs like Prozac (fluoxetine), Trazodone, Xanax (alprazolam), and Clomipramine (anafranil). However, although efficient, these meds are likely to cause serious side effects.
On the other hand, CBD is efficient, safe, and rarely triggers side effects. Even if there are any side effects, they are mild, transient, and easily manageable.
Dog Anxiety: Signs & Symptoms
When someone says anxiety, the first things that come to mind are dogs frantically scratching the door and barking excessively.
However, anxiety does not always manifest so strikingly and apparently. Some dogs with anxiety suffer in silence which results in challenging diagnosis and delayed treatment.
Here are some of the most common anxiety signs and symptoms:
- Constant pacing
- Depression and lethargy
- Excessive or frantic barking
- Lack of appetite or overeating
- Lip licking and drooling
- Repetitive behaviors
- Urinating or defecating in the house
The exact clinical manifestation depends on the anxiety form. There are four basic anxiety types in dogs:
- Separation anxiety – the most frequently reported anxiety in dogs stems from fear of being left alone.
- Age-related anxiety – older dogs have a declining cognitive function which leads to confusion and, over time, stress and anxiety.
- Post-traumatic stress – common in dogs with troublesome pasts like abusive owners, early abandonment, or exposure to aggressive pets.
- Fear-related anxiety – dogs do not understand loud and abrasive noises like thunder, fireworks, or construction.
CBD Oil Dosage For Dogs With Anxiety
The CBD dose guidelines are not set in stone, and finding the CBD amount that works best for your dog takes some trial and error. As a general rule of thumb, dogs can receive between 1 and 5 mg of CBD oil per 10 pounds of body weight per day.
We suggest starting with a lower dose and increasing the CBD amount gradually as your dog gets used to the CBD supplement. To ensure your dog is stress-free 24/7, you should use CBD regularly and split the daily CBD dose into two servings.
Since nobody likes calculations, you can easily determine the right CBD amount for your dog by using our CBD Oil For Dogs Dose Calculator. After you have the dose, if you accidentally give an extra dropper of oil, do not worry – dogs cannot overdose on CBD.
Giving your dog too much CBD oil will probably make it sleep off the effects. It is also possible for your pet to develop some minor side effects like dry mouth, increased thirst, drowsiness, lowered blood pressure, and diarrhea.
Finally, we should emphasize the importance of talking to your vet before using a CBD supplement. This is because CBD can interact with some prescription medications.
How to Shop for the Best CBD Oil for Dog Anxiety
Shopping for the best dog CBD oil can be tricky, especially if you are new to the pet CBD market. To help you choose the best option for your dog, we have compiled a short checklist with the most important high-quality CBD oil indicators:
- Full-spectrum hemp oil is more potent than broad-spectrum and isolates as it is richer in health-boosting compounds like cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
- THC-free hemp oil means the tincture is made from the hemp plant and not from marijuana, as this cannabis plant version contains high THC amounts and is toxic to pets.
- Hemp CBD oil is extracted from the hemp stalks, flowers, and leaves, while hemp seed oil from the seeds and while still healthy it does not contain cannabinoids.
- Organic farming practices are a must for making high-quality pet CBD oils. GMO ingredients, soy, dairy, gluten, and corn, must not be present.
- CO2 extraction method ensures high purity of the CBD oil with maximum cannabinoids and no questionable compounds and chemicals.
- Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a third-party lab confirmation of the CBD pet product’s quality and purity (no pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria).
- A reputable CBD brand will be transparent and in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. It will also have polite customer service and working policies.
Our Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Dogs with Anxiety
CBD oil is the answer for anxiety management in dogs. As a natural and drug-free solution, CBD offers maximum efficacy with minimum side effects.
Plus, there is a vast selection of calming CBD products – from tinctures and soft chews to bites and peanut butter.
All you need to do is visit our Honest Paws website, read the product reviews, and find your dog’s favorite calmness-promoting CBD choice.