Did you know that one in three dogs is diagnosed with cancer? If your dog is that one-in-three dog, you are familiar with the aggressiveness of the canine cancer treatment. But did you know that CBD oil is a promising anti-cancer drug for dogs?
CBD (cannabidiol) is a multipurpose supplement that can help dogs with cancer itself and the side effects of conventional therapy. CBD can also be used in conjunction with traditional cancer treatments.
Keep reading to find out how CBD oil can make your dog’s journey through battling cancer less painful and more comfortable.
Top 5 CBD Oils For Dogs With Cancer
- Honest Paws – Best CBD for Dogs with Cancer
- Simple Wag – Quality Price
- Four Leaf Rover – Best Value
- NuLeaf Naturals – Highest Potency
- Petly CBD – Most Options
How CBD for Dog Cancer Works
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) – a regulatory system in mammals responsible for maintaining a state of homeostasis.
The ECS achieves homeostasis by managing appetite, sleep, inflammation, pain, immunity, metabolism, memory, etc.
The cannabinoids from the Cannabis sativa plant replace the endocannabinoids and bind with the cannabinoid receptors, thus interacting with the ECS.
Summary: With over 113K satisfied customers, countless 5 star-ratings, 92 media mentions, and vet approvals, Honest Paws is a reputable brand offering condition-specific lines of premium-quality CBD products. Its CBD oil definitely deserves the number one place as best CBD oil for dogs with cancer.
Our number one choice for dogs with cancer is the Honest Paws CBD oil. Rich in various cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, the product has potent anti-cancer features. Plus, the Honest Paws CBD oil is deliciously flavored and available in different potencies.
- Different CBD products for dogs with cancer
- Full-spectrum CBD oil
- Different CBD potencies
- 100% organic hemp, vegan, and gluten-free
- Highly palatable flavors
- Sourced and manufactured in the US
- Certificate of analysis
- High-demand and occasional low stock
Review: We love the condition-specific product selection the brand offers. We dislike that the high demand of products leads to occasional low stock.
Summary: Simple Wag offers CBD oil with unmatched quality at an affordable price. Therefore, its CBD oil is the best option for dogs with cancer while on a limited budget.
The Simple Wag CBD oil is a full-spectrum formula made from 100% pure and organic hemp. It is efficient in reducing pain and managing cancer symptoms. This CBD oil is an excellent choice for dogs with cancer that need a natural managing approach.
- Full-spectrum oil
- Non-GMO and completely organic
- Rich in antioxidants, omegas, and vitamin B and D
- Made in the US
- Lab-tested and USDA certified
- Eco-friendly packaging
- Limited choice of products
Review: We love the product’s quality and eco-friendly package wrapped at an affordable price. We dislike the limited choice of CBD products.
Summary: Made of natural and premium-quality ingredients, the Dogs Naturally CBD products are of unmatched quality. The brand beliefs in changing the world one dog at a time. The Four Leaf Solution is an excellent addition to any dog’s anti-cancer treatment strategy.
The Four Leaf Rover CBD oil by Dogs Naturally is a full-spectrum CBD oil with human-grade MCT as a carrier. The CBD oil’s anti-inflammatory and anti-pain properties make it a suitable choice for dogs with cancer.
- Various selection of CBD products
- Full-spectrum CBD oil
- Many CBD oil potencies
- Organic and free from harmful chemicals
- Extracted with supercritical CO2
- Certificate of Analysis available
- Only one CBD product for dogs
Review: We like the human-grade quality of the ingredients and the brand’s reputability. We dislike the limited product selection.
Summary: The pioneer brand NuLeaf Naturals specializes in formulating high-quality CBD oils for humans and pets. The company’s pet CBD oils are of unmatched quality and can help dogs with cancer while promoting physical health and emotional wellbeing.
The CBD pet oil from NuLeaf Naturals is of supreme potency. It contains high levels of CBD and trace amounts of other cannabinoids helpful for dogs with cancer as it can help with both the cancer symptoms and the treatment side effects.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil
- Organic hemp
- CO2 extraction
- Lab-tested formula
- Subscription pricing available
- Limited CBD product choice
- No flavor options
Review: We like the potency of the CBD oil and hemp seed oil carrier. We dislike the limited choice of CBD products for dogs with cancer.
Summary: Petly CBD is a relatively new brand but with a well-established concept of quality. Petly CBD is passionate about creating high-quality CBD dog products and takes the science behind its formulas very seriously. With a rich selection of CBD supplements, it is easy to find the right one for a dog with cancer.
Quality, safety, and efficacy are among the several attributes placing the Petly CBD oil on our list of top 5 CBD oils for dogs with cancer. Despite being new on the pet CBD market, the brand has already made it clear that it is serious about the products its offers.
- Wide selection of CBD products
- 100% organic, vegan, and gluten-free
- Free form additives and preservatives
- Excellent customer service and policies
- Donates funds for pets in need.
- Broad-spectrumCBD oil
Review: We like the vast choice of options for dogs with cancer and the fact that the brand donates funds for pets in need. We dislike that the CBD formulas are broad-spectrum versus full-spectrum.
The Benefits of CBD Oil For Dogs With Cancer
CBD is the perfect finishing touch on a multimodal anti-cancer treatment. Here is what science has to say about how CBD oil helps dogs with a cancer diagnosis.
CBD Improves Immune Health
CBD gives the immune system a natural boost and promotes gut health. Given the fact that the major part of the immune system is located in the gut, CBD indirectly supports the immune system. Plus, CBD reduces oxidative stress and helps defend against foreign pathogens.
CBD Supports Anti-Tumor Medication
CBD can enhance the effects of conventional methods used to treat cancer, like radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
When used together with radiation therapy, CBD boosts the tumor-shrinking effects, and when used in conjunction with chemotherapy, it decreases the reproduction of cancerous cells, thus ensuring increased survival rates.
CBD can Reduce Pain and Inflammation
Pain and inflammation are inevitable in cancer patients. Pain is debilitating and delays the healing processes while inflammation supports tissue damage,
CBD offers both pain relief and inflammation reduction. Plus, it has the ability to enhance the potency of traditional meds like opioids and NSAIDs without causing the side effects associated with these medications.
CBD May Slow the Growth of Cancer Cells
How CBD Compares to Alternative Dog Cancer Treatments
CBD is a natural holistic option meaning it is safer and has fewer and lesser side effects than conventional cancer treatments.
Plus, unlike most treatments focusing on one anti-cancer approach, CBD works on multiple levels – it manages cancer, its symptoms, and the treatment’s side effects like nausea, loss of appetite.
Plus, pet owners should know that CBD can be combined with other anti-cancer treatments as part of a multi-modal strategy.
Dog Cancer: Signs & Symptoms
The most common types of cancer in dogs are:
- Bone cancer – also known as osteosarcoma, usually affects the limbs but the skull, spine, and ribcage are also at risk. It is more common in large and giant dog breeds.
- Hemangiosarcoma – attacks the blood vessels of the spleen and is prone to rupturing and causing fatal internal bleeding. It is more common in older, medium to large dogs.
- Lymphoma – accounting for 15-20% of cancer cases, it is the third most common canine cancer type. It affects the lymphoid tissue and lymphocytes.
- Melanoma – aggressive, fast-spreading tumor of the pigmented skin cells (melanocytes). It is one of the few cancers visible on the outside as dark spots on the skin.
- Mast cell tumors – quick-spreading and metastasizing cancer of the mast cells. It is among the most malignant canine cancers.
CBD Oil Dosage For Dogs With Cancer
Based on the general CBD dose guidelines for dogs with cancer, you should give your pet between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight per day.
We recommend starting with lower doses and gradually increasing the CBD amount as your dog gets used to the new supplement.
For the perfect dosage amount, check out our CBD oil for dogs dose calculator that will factor in your dog’s size and weight. If you have any dosage-related concerns, talk to your trusted veterinarian.
The good news is it is impossible to overdose your dog on CBD oil. However, if you give a few extra drops, your dog may develop some minor and transient side effects like dry mouth, increased thirst, lethargy, drowsiness, lowered blood pressure, and diarrhea.
How to Shop for the Best CBD Oil for Dog Cancer
Finding the best dog CBD oil for cancer can be tricky, considering the many CBD products on the market combined with the lack of regulations and misleading labels.
The best CBD oil for dogs with cancer should check the following boxes for quality, safety, and efficacy:
- Full-spectrum CBD. It has more benefits than CBD isolate and broad-spectrum oil because it contains various compounds like cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
- Hemp-Derived. The dog CBD oil must be extracted from the hemp plant (not marijuana) and contain less than 0.3% THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
- Hemp CBD oil. The hemp oil should be made from the whole hemp plant and not just the seeds (hemp seed oil does not contain cannabinoids).
- Organic. Non-GMO, natural, organic hemp farming practices are ideal for a high-quality CBD product.
- CO2 extraction. This extraction method ensures a pure CBD oil free from questionable chemicals while retaining all health-boosting cannabinoids.
- Certificate of Analysis. A Certificate of Analysis (provided by a third-party lab) will display the oil contents, proving its purity and exclusion (or low percentage) of THC.
Our Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Dogs with Cancer
Bottom line, CBD oil is not a magical cancer cure, nor can it be used as a substitute for life-saving surgical procedures.
However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) “recognizes the potential opportunities that cannabis may offer,” and there is plenty of research supporting the CBD use for dogs with cancer. In simpler words, CBD can improve the quality of life.
For more information about the best Honest Paws CBD for dogs with cancer, browse the topics on our Honest Paws website.
Crosstalk between the gut microbiota and the endocannabinoid system: impact on the gut barrier function and the adipose tissue – Cani – 2012 – Clinical Microbiology and Infection – Wiley Online Library
The effect of cannabidiol on canine neoplastic cell proliferation and mitogen‐activated protein kinase activation during autophagy and apoptosis – Henry – 2021 – Veterinary and Comparative Oncology – Wiley Online Library
Cannabidiol inhibits paclitaxel‐induced neuropathic pain through 5‐HT1A receptors without diminishing nervous system function or chemotherapy efficacy – Ward – 2014 – British Journal of Pharmacology – Wiley Online Library