Affecting 1.7% of dogs in North America, glaucoma deserves some serious attention. In this article, we will focus on alternative glaucoma treatments or, more specifically, CBD oil for glaucoma in dogs.
Keep reading as we will explain everything you need to know about canine glaucoma and pet CBD. We will also review the top best CBD oils for dogs with glaucoma.
Top 5 CBD Oils For Dogs With Glaucoma
Honest Paws – Best CBD for dogs with Glaucoma
Simple Wag – Most Affordable
Four Leaf Rover – Best Natural Ingredients
NuLeaf Naturals – Best Potency
Petly CBD – Most Options
How CBD For Dog Glaucoma Works
CBD (cannabidiol) for dogs with glaucoma works through the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a signaling and regulatory system present in all mammals. The ECS consists of endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors scattered throughout the body.
When the endocannabinoids bind with the receptors, they regulate different body functions depending on their location. For example, they manage processes like appetite, sleep, immunity, memory, inflammation, mood, pain, cognition, etc.
The hemp plant’s cannabidiol replaces the body’s endocannabinoids and interacts with the endocannabinoid receptors, thus boosting and supporting the ECS functioning.
Summary: If you have quality and efficacy on your mind, Honest Paws should be your first choice. Offering condition-specific lines of CBD products and with thousands of satisfied customers, Honest Paws deserves the number one rating on our list for dogs with glaucoma.
The Honest Paws CBD oil is rated as number #1 for dogs with glaucoma. Its CBD oil is rich in various cannabinoids with proven anti-glaucoma properties. Plus, it is available in different products and potencies for all dogs.
- Selection of CBD products for seizures
- Full-spectrum and 100% organic
- Sourced and manufactured in the US
- Certificate of analysis available
- Low stock due to high demand
Review: We like the selection of CBD products and condition-specific lines. We dislike the need to buy in advance to avoid occasional unavailability. All in all, Honest Paws is our choice as the best CBD oil for glaucoma in dogs.
Summary: Simple Wag believes that the dog’s tail is made for wagging, and the only way to ensure as many wagging tails as possible is by promoting natural health and wellness. Simple Wag offers the most affordable management approach for glaucoma.
The CBD oil from Simple Wag is a full-spectrum formula made from 100% pure hemp. It is efficient in reducing pain and managing inflammation. The anti-inflammation component is critical for glaucoma management.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil
- Rich in vitamins, omegas, and antioxidants
- Lab-tested and USDA certified
- Eco-friendly bottle
- No CBD dog treats or other products
Review: We like the richness of the CBD oil and eco-friendliness Simple Wag bears in mind. We dislike the lack of CBD oil alternatives. All in all, Simple Wag is our top choice as the most affordable CBD oil for glaucoma in dogs.
Summary: Four Leaf Rover by Dogs Naturally moves the quality boundaries for CBD oil. Made of carefully selected and 100% natural ingredients, its CBD oils feature strong anti-glaucoma features.
The Four Leaf Rover CBD oil by Dogs Naturally is a full-spectrum CBD oil with potent anti-inflammation features suitable for dogs with glaucoma issues. Plus, every ingredient in the CBD is mindfully selected and of the highest quality.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil with different potencies
- Organic and all-natural ingredients
- Extracted with supercritical CO2
- Certificate of Analysis available
- Occasional low stock
Review: We like the careful selection of premium quality ingredients and supreme manufacturing techniques. We dislike the occasional low stock. All in all, Four Leaf Rover is our top choice as CBD oil with the best natural ingredients for pets with glaucoma.
Summary: As a pioneer in the CBD market, NuLeaf Naturals will help dogs with glaucoma while simultaneously supporting a healthy body and mind. The strong potency of the oils makes them suitable for all dogs regardless of size.
The CBD pet oil from NuLeaf Naturals is of supreme potency. Containing different cannabinoids, it is the ideal choice for dogs suffering from canine glaucoma and dogs needing eye-health-boosts.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil from organic hemp
- Third-party lab-tested formula
- Human-grade ingredients and manufacturing practices
- Hemp seed oil for a carrier
- Only one CBD product for dogs
Review: We like the human-grade ingredients and the use of hemp seed oil as a carrier. We dislike the limited selection of CBD supplements. All in all, NuLeaf Naturals is our top choice as CBD oil with the best potency for dogs with glaucoma.
Summary: Petly CBD might be new on the market, but it is definitely experienced in formulating different CBD products for dogs with glaucoma. The brand takes the science and the flavor range behind its products seriously.
Despite being new on the market, the Petly CBD oil made it on the top 5 list for dogs with seizures. This is due to the quality, safety, and efficacy of its CBD products in managing glaucoma. Plus, its CBD glaucoma products have dog-friendly flavors.
- Various CBD products
- 100% organic, vegan, and gluten-free
- Excellent customer service and policies
- Donates for pets in need
- Broad-spectrum CBD formula
Review: We like the variety of CBD supplements and the selection of dog-friendly choices. We dislike the broad-spectrum formula. All in all, Petly CBD is our top choice as CBD oil with the most options for glaucoma in pets.
The Benefits of CBD Oil For Dogs With Glaucoma
Considering that the contradictory results occur when CBD is used in significantly high amounts, the mainstream opinion is that CBD does more good than bad and benefits glaucoma patients.
There is one more caveat – most results and statistics about the CBD effects for glaucoma management are derived from human studies.
Nevertheless, the ECS systems work the same in all mammals, and since CBD acts through the ECS, we can assume that CBD will affect dogs the same way it affects humans with glaucoma.
Let’s dive into the scientific evidence backing up CBD use for patients with glaucoma.
CBD may Effectively Lower Intraocular Pressure
According to a study published in The United Kingdom Journal of Ophthalmology, “cannabinoids effectively lower the intraocular pressure (IOP) and have neuroprotective actions.” Another study found that chronic use of cannabigerol (CBG) and cannabinol (CBN) leads to a significant reduction in IOP.
CBD’s Neuroprotective Features may Inhibit Glutamate Effects, Slowing Down Glaucoma Progression
A groundbreaking study determined that the CBDs’ anti-glaucoma powers stem from their neuroprotective features. Namely, CBD inhibits the effects of glutamate – a neurotransmitter causing eye cell death, thus contributing to glaucoma development.
CBD’s Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammation Properties can Protect Cellular Health
It is a well-studied and confirmed fact that CBD has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammation properties. These features support overall cellular health by preventing oxidative and inflammatory cell damage.
CBD Can Relieve Discomfort and Pain
CBD has potent anti-pain characteristics, and many studies confirm its effectiveness in treating chronic pain. CBD can reduce pain perception by increasing the levels of anandamide in the body – a compound associated with pain regulation.
How CBD Compares to Alternative Dog Glaucoma Treatments
Canine glaucoma is a progressive and irreversible condition that cannot be cured only managed. Sadly, most mainstream medical glaucoma treatments fail within months of the diagnosis. Surgical approaches can be more efficient but are also more invasive and radical.
On the other hand, CBD oil is a 100% natural alternative for glaucoma management. CBD is safe for dogs, and based on studies, it has promising effects on pets with glaucoma. Plus, supplementing your dog with CBD is more straightforward than putting eye drops several times per day.
Dog Glaucoma: Signs & Symptoms
Canine glaucoma is a common eye disorder that manifests with increased intraocular pressure (IOP). The normal eye produces aqueous humor fluid, which nourishes the eye tissues and retains the eyeball’s shape.
In glaucoma, the fluid drainage is impaired, leading to increased eye pressure or chronic ocular hypertension (45-64 mmHg). Over time, the pressure damages the eye and optic nerve. If left untreated, glaucoma can lead to retinal detachment and loss of vision.
There are two types of glaucoma in dogs:
- Primary glaucoma – is an inherited condition common in certain dog breeds like Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Chow chows, Siberian Huskies, Beagles, Basset Hounds, and Labrador Retrievers.
- Secondary glaucoma – occurs due to unexpected drainage issues in dogs due to eye trauma and diseases like cataracts, eye tumors, and infections.
Glaucoma is an excruciating condition. However, dogs are usually good at covering the red flags for pain. Therefore, most glaucoma cases are diagnosed once blindness sets in and the condition is already advanced.
Here are some common symptoms of glaucoma in dogs:
- Eye pain and frequent headaches
- Touch sensitivity around the eyes and head
- Appetite loss, panting, and lethargy
- Behavioral changes – aggression or depression
- Changes in the sleeping habits
- Disorientation and bumping into objects
- Clouding of the lens
- Eyeball enlargement and eye redness
- Increased and light unresponsive pupils
CBD Oil Dosage For Dogs With Glaucoma
The use of CBD oil for glaucoma does not come with specific CBD dosage guidelines. The general recommendation is to give your dog between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight per day. However, finding the right CBD amount will take some experimentation.
We suggest using our CBD oil dose calculator as a reference. We also advise you to start with the lowest dose for your dog’s body weight and then gradually increase the CBD amount.
Sudden CBD implementation is more likely to cause minor and transient side effects such as dry mouth, increased thirst, low blood pressure, lethargy, drowsiness, and diarrhea.
These side effects can also occur if you accidentally miscalculated the CBD dosage and gave your dog too much CBD. However, do not panic – dogs cannot overdose on CBD oil.
Last but not least, do not forget to consult with your vet before adding cannabis to your dog’s glaucoma treatment plan. This is because CBD can interact with certain prescription medications.
How to Shop for the Best CBD Oil for Dog Glaucoma
The market is saturated with CBD products for pets, and sadly not every product is what its label claims. Some CBD manufacturers cut corners and do not follow the basic quality standards. Therefore, finding the best CBD oil for glaucoma in dogs can be tricky.
To simplify things and help you narrow the search, we have compiled a list of safety, quality, and efficiency considerations. The best CBD oil for your dog needs to check the following boxes:
- Full-spectrum CBD oil. In addition to different cannabinoids (CBD, CBN, CBG, CBDA), full-spectrum hemp contains active ingredients like flavonoids, terpenes, omega fatty acids. These compounds have an entourage effect meaning they boost each other’s effects.
- THC-free. CBD oil for pets is derived from the hemp plant and not from marijuana because marijuana contains THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is psychoactive and toxic to pets.
- Hemp CBD oil. Hemp oil is extracted from the whole hemp plant (leaves, flowers, and stalks), while hemp seed oil is extracted solely from the seeds and does not contain cannabinoids).
- Organically grown hemp. Ideally, the hemp used for CBD oil production should be organically grown and free from pesticides. Additionally, the CBD product must be free from GMO ingredients, grain, soy, dairy, and gluten.
- CO2 extraction. There are different extraction methods, but the CO2 technique ensures a high-quality end product free from impurities and contaminants. Plus, the technique does not destroy the health-boosting cannabinoids.
- Certificate of Analysis. A third-party lab must confirm the CBD product’s purity, presence of cannabinoids, and exclusion of THC. The Certificate of Analysis must be available on the website.
- Reputable brand. Always choose a trustworthy brand with positive reviews from satisfied customers before making the purchase. Also, check out the brand’s policies – free shipping and money-back guarantees.
Our Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Dog Glaucoma
Canine glaucoma is a devastating condition because of its progressing and irreversible nature. Luckily, CBD can make things easier for both you and your pet.
CBD is not a cure for glaucoma in dogs – it cannot revert blindness and restore eye health. However, it can help with the symptoms of glaucoma in dogs by managing the pain, inflammation, and anxiety.