Buying dog food in bulk is always great for pet owners, however how to storage all of this dog food can be an issue.
Unless safely stored, dog food easily goes rancid and can be attacked by pests and rodents. This is where dog food containers kick in as a smart and efficient storage solution.
This article will discuss the importance of pet food storage containers and give some buying tips. Plus, it will review some of the best dog food containers available on the market.
Table of Contents
The Best Dog Food Containers: Our Top Picks Summary
- Simplehuman X-Large Dog Food Storage Container
- Gamma2 Vittles Vault Stackable Dog Food Storage
- IRIS Airtight Dog Food Storage Container & Scoop Combo
- IRIS Airtight Dog Food Storage Container
- Gamma2 Vittles Vault Outback Food Storage Container
- OUTSHINE White Farmhouse Dog Food Bin
- Travel Set for Dog Food Storage
- Vittles Vault Gamma Dog Food TRAVEL-tainer
- Morezi Dog Food Containers Set with Scoop
- PetSteel Rustic Silver Dog Pet Food Storage Set
- Humane Society Nylon Self Folding Travel Dog Food Bag
Why Buy a Dog Food Container?
Purchasing a dog food storage container may seem like an investment at first. However, in the long run, it definitely pays off. We’ve listed below why buying a dog food container is a wise and practical decision.
Keeps Dog Food Fresh. Stale kibble is less appealing for dogs with fussy eating habits as it changes in terms of both flavor and texture. Plus, rancid kibble poses a health risk for dogs. The main role of dog food storage containers is to keep the kibble fresh and crunchy for your pup.
Keeps Pests Out. Pests like bugs and rodents are more than a nuisance. Some pests can spread harmful pathogens, others are toxic if ingested, and some fight back (bite or sting). Last but not least, pests are costly – you will have to discard the entire dog food bag if pest-infested.
Portable for Travel. Looking for a hassle-free method of transporting dog food when traveling? Well, you have found it – containers are ideal. They are portable (most products have handles and casters for easy mobility) and, based on size and shape – can fit into the car trunks.
Versatile for Small Spaces. Dealing with limited space and storage issues is something we can all relate to. Dog food containers are a simple yet efficient storage solution that allows making the most of small spaces without compromising the dog’s food freshness and nutritional value.
What to Look for in a Dog Food Container?
Finding the best dog food storage container can be tricky, especially if you do not know which features are worth considering. To make the shopping experience pleasant and ensure you get your money’s worth, we recommend paying attention to these factors listed below when shopping for a dog food container.
Airtight Seal. The airtight pet food container prolongs the kibble’s shelf life because it prevents exposure to light, air, heat, and moisture from getting inside. Plus, it is pest-proof, thus keeping potentially harmful intruders like bugs and rodents out.
Materials. Containers are usually made of either plastic or stainless steel. Plastic containers are budget-friendly (check if the plastic is food-grade and BPA-free). Stainless steel containers are more expensive but allow easy cleaning and do not interact with the kibble.
Durability. Obviously, you want to purchase a pet food container capable of withstanding years of use. The main factor determining the container’s durability is the material. If not sure which container will last for longer, check the price tags (they are excellent quality indicators).
Dimensions. Finally, consider the container’s dimensions. Big containers store more pounds of dry food than treat jars, but they are also more space-consuming. Go for the container that fits underneath the counter or in the closet.
The 11 Best Dog Food Containers
We want you to spend as much time as possible with your pooch. Therefore, we did the time-consuming homework for you and reviewed the best dog food containers on the market. Listed below you will find the best dog food containers list.
Summary: The Simplehuman container features a fingerprint-proof stainless steel outer shell and a BPA-free plastic cart. The container is gasket-sealed, and the lid is controlled with an ergonomic lock-tight handle. The magnetically mounted scoop adds convenience to the otherwise perfect design.
- Nice-looking and sleek chrome design
- Air-tight seal and lock-tight handle
- Magnetic lid with mounted scoop
- Availability in three different sizes
- Heftier price tag than similar products
- Hard-to-reach bottom kibble due to the tall design
Review: Users describe the Simplehuman dog food container as “handsome, functional and very well made” and “easy to operate with one hand.” They also say the product is “top of the line” and “worth the money.”
Summary: The Gamma2 Vittles Vault Stackable Dog Food Storage is made of durable food-grade plastic and features an innovative sealing system. Plus, the unique stackable design is space-friendly. Finally, the storage is reasonably priced despite its heritage (Gamma2 patented its first air-tight container over 30 years ago, in 1989).
- Heavy-duty and shatterproof container
- Stackable and air-tight with threaded locking system
- Stores large amount of food (40 or 60 lbs)
- Includes free measuring cup
- Stores less food than marketed due to the side opening
- The bottom bin can bend under too much weight
Review: Customers say the Gamma2 Vittle Vault is a “great value for the price” and that it offers “wonderful food storage” due to the “convenient size.” However, we should note that there are complaints about ants penetrating the vault.
Summary: The IRIS Airtight Container and Scoop Combo is a 3-piece set consisting of two containers and a color-matching food scoop. The dual compartment system allows keeping two different types of food in the same unit. Made in the USA with FDA-compliant materials, this container checks all boxes for quality and efficacy.
- High-quality and durable materials
- Two separate compartments (combined storage of 35 lbs)
- Snap-lock latches for airtightness and four wheels for mobility
- Available in seven different colors
- To open the bottom container, you need to remove the top container
- More expensive than similar plastic-made containers
Review: Customers say the IRIS 3-Piece Set “helps organize pet clutter,” “keeps food fresh,” and often describe it as a “must-have.” Anyway, some customers complained that the latch opens and allows pet food to spill when the container is knocked down.
Summary: The IRIS Airtight Dog Food Container is described as a hygienic, compact, and mobile storage solution. The airtight seal provides an ideal environment for preserving the dog food fresh, and the casters prevent back strains. As a US brand, IRIS is inimitable, and the superior quality of its products is easily recognizable in this food container.
- Snap-lock airtight design
- Easy-to-slot casters for easy mobility
- Stores up to 55 pounds of dry food
- Made in the USA by a reputable brand
- Allow dog food smell leakage
- Needs to be hand-washed
Review: Users say that the IRIS Airtight Container is “sturdy and air-tight” and “does the job.” They also note it “holds more food than expected.” Some users mention that the container’s “quality has decreased over the years.”
Summary: With over 7,500 5-star reviews on Amazon, the Vittles Vault Outback Container is a best-seller. It is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE), BPA-free plastic, and the thread-locking system ensures maximum food freshness. And we cannot expect anything less from this brand, Gamma2 is all about high-quality products for affordable prices.
- A truly airtight design for extra freshness
- Threaded locking system with double gaskets
- Easy-grip handles and well-functioning lid
- Excellent cost to value ratio
- Not as waterproof as marketed
- Not very stable for stacking
Review: Users say the Gamma2 Vittle Vault Outback Container is a “great space saver,” “easy to maneuver,” and that it keeps “raccoons and ants out.” However, there are certain complaints about the container’s mouth cracking if roughly handled.
Summary: The OUTSHINE White Farmhouse Dog Food Bin is the definition of attractiveness, practicality, and quality. The bin is made of almost indestructible powder-coated carbon steel, and it can be personalized using the included cling sticker. Storing only 12 pounds of dry food capacity, the container is small, but it fits perfectly on vintage countertops.
- Pleasing farmhouse-like vintage design
- Airtight seal for freshness upkeep
- Made of durable and sturdy material
- Allows personalization
- Not practical for large dog breeds
- The lid is not hinged and cannot be opened with one hand
Review: Customers say the OUTSHINE Bin is “super cute” and of “great size and quality.” They also love the personalization feature. Some buyers complain about the lid not being airtight, although the food remains fresh (perhaps due to the small capacity).
Summary: The Modocker Airline Approved Pet Travel Bag is a tote organizer with several multi-function pockets and a luggage sleeve. In addition to the tote bag, the set includes two dog food carrier bags, one water-resistant placemat, and two collapsible silicone bowls. The tote and bags feature water-repellent oxford outer material and leak-proof inner lining.
- Airline compliant design and size
- Fits everything a dog needs for travels
- Practical, convenient, and portable
- Available in different colors
- Does not include food scoops
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: Pet parents say the Modocker Travel Set is “excellent for doggies on the go.” They also describe the product using words like “purfect,” “sturdy,” and “practical” and mention that the set is “worth the money.”
Summary: The Vittles Vault Gamma Dog Food TRAVEL-tainer is all-in-one storage, feeding, and drinking system made of HDPE (food-grade, BPA-free) plastic. The three stackable components include an airtight canister and two bowls. The overall design is compact, and the construction sturdy. The lid is airtight and keeps the food fresh yet easy to spin on and off.
- Convenient all-in-one system
- Made of high-quality plastic
- Airtight and compact design
- Clips to bags for easy mobility
- The bowls are not dishwasher-safe and too small for large dogs
- The plastic handle does not seem to be very sturdy
Review: Customers say the Vittles Vault Gamma TRAVEL-tainer is “awesome” and “exactly as it is promoted.” They also describe it as a “convenient way to travel with dog food” and “easy to use & easy to wash.” Some users mention it may be “too bulky.”
Summary: The Morezi Dog Food Containers are made of coated carbon steel, thus ensuring long-lasting use and easy maintenance. The lid is airtight (rubbered seal) yet easy to open and close. The overall design is attractive, and therefore, the set of containers goes excellently on countertops. Plus, the scoop is conveniently hung on the handle.
- Uniquely attractive design
- Comes with a matching serving scoop
- Easy to keep clean
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Stores small food quantities (5 lbs)
- Unavailable in large sizes and not suited for large breed dogs
Review: Customers say the Morezi Container is “super cute,” “very well made,” and ensures the “food and treats stay fresh.” We must mention that some owners complain about the container lacking side handles.
Summary: The PetSteel Rustic Silver Dog Pet Food Storage Set is an innovative design for dog food storage with a vintage outlook. The set includes two containers (a larger one with 50 lbs capacity and a smaller one with 20 lbs capacity) and two proportionally sized scoops.
- Rustic design for aesthetic appearance
- Comes with matching scoops
- Convenient to use and keep clean
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The lids are not hinged
- Not particularly airtight
Review: So far, there are no available customer reviews for the PetSteel Silver Dog Pet Food Storage Set.
Summary: The Humane Society Self-Folding Dog Food Travel Bag is designed with two concepts in mind – practicality and durability. It is made of PVC-free nylon and features an easy-to-roll foldable top with an extra clip for added protection. The bag keeps the food fresh and is exceptionally easy to carry when road-tripping.
- Portable and suitable for outdoor use
- Additional clip for extra protection
- Machine washable
- Available in two different colors
- Stores less food due to the fold-down closure
- Unlike similar products, it does not include bowls
Review: Customers say the Humane Society Self-Folding Travel Bag is a “great product” and “perfect for travels.” They also mention it is “well-made” and “holds a lot.” Some users mention that the dog food’s oils seem like seeping out.
Our Final Thoughts on Dog Food Containers
Now that you are familiar with the qualities of a good dog food storage container going on a shopping spree will be straightforward.
All you need to do is a little bit of homework – make a list of the container features you need and then compare them with the ones provided in the buying guide.
Or, you can skip the homework part and go through the best dog food container reviews. Considering the pet market’s versatility, there is a perfect fit for everyone.