What are the Best Joint Supplements for Dogs With Hip Dysplasia?
- Honest Paws Green-Lipped Mussel Joint Powder– Best Overall
- Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews – Best CBD Option
- Vets Preferred Advanced Joint Support– Best Age-Specific Option
- Open Farm Hip & Joint Supplement Chews for Dogs – Best Natural Option
- PetLab Co. Joint Care Chews – Best Flavorful Option
- Vet-Virtue Turmeric Soft Chews for Dogs – Best Turmeric Option
- WoofWell Soft Chews– Best Breed-Specific Option
- Fera Pet Organics Hip + Joint Support for Dogs– Best Gluten-Free Option
- Vet‘s Best Aches + Pains Chewable Tablets – Best Budget-Friendly Option
The best way of treating your dog’s joint issues naturally is through hydrotherapy – underwater treadmills and swimming pool exercises. Maintaining a healthy weight and using natural joint supplements are beneficial too.
Certain dog breeds like Golden Retrievers, Great Danes, and German Shepherds are likely to develop hip dysplasia at a certain point in their lives. Maybe not as puppies, but definitely as senior dogs.
Hydrotherapy, body weight maintenance, and joint supplements are of paramount importance in these breeds – not just for treatment goals but to delay the hip dysplasia onset.
Do Joint Supplements Work for Dog Hip Dysplasia?
Yes, hip and joint supplements for canines work. They help the dog’s joints by supporting cartilage growth, inhibiting its breakdown, managing joint inflammation, and improving joint lubrication.
However, you need to ensure you are using the right supplement for your pup and in the correct dosage. Today, the pet market offers an array of supplements for hip dysplasia, but they are not all made the same. Some are of high quality and beneficial, while others can make more harm than good.
So, before buying dog joint supplements, research the market. If you have any doubts, consult with your trusted veterinarian. The vet will help you choose which supplement is best for your dog’s joint problems.
The Best Joint Supplements for Dogs With Hip Dysplasia Reviewed
Summary: The Honest Paws Green Lipped Mussel Joint Powder features various joint-health-boosting ingredients like Green Lipped Mussels, fish oil, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, vitamin C, Boswellia serrata powder, manganese gluconate, glucosamine HCL, and hyaluronic acid. The supplement is palatable and can be mixed with food and peanut butter.
- Advanced joint health formula
- A rich blend of various active ingredients
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes
- Bacon popcorn flavor
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not always available due to high demand
- Above-average priced supplement
Review: Satisfied customers say their dogs are “acting younger” after starting this supplement. They describe it as “amazing” – “smells good” and it is “easy to use.” All things considered, the Honest Paws Green Lipped Mussel Joint Powder is our choice as the best overall supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Summary: The Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews are made of organic full-spectrum hemp oil enriched with joint health ingredients like chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine HCL, hyaluronic acid, and Boswellia serrata. The soft chews are poultry flavored and feature 5 mg of CBD and 500 mg of glucosamine per treat for easy dosage calculations.
- Organic full-spectrum hemp CBD oil
- Improve joint function and help with stiffness
- Dog-friendly flavor and texture
- Easy to dose and use
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Lab results don’t test for pesticides
- Cannot be shipped internationally
Review: Pet owners say these soft chews are a “perfect intro to CBD” and describe them as “life-changing.” They say their dogs “really like them” and are getting “a pep in their step” after supplementation. All things considered, the Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews is our choice as the best CBD option for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Summary: The Vets Preferred Advanced Joint Support eases joint pain and ensures total joint support (hip, knee, paws, elbow, shoulder). The treats include glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, vitamin C, zinc, hyaluronic acid, manganese, vitamin E, and copper. The supplement is available in three different age-specific formulations – puppies, adults, and seniors.
- Veterinarian-grade product
- Naturally sourced and USA made
- Total joint support and pain relief
- Dog-friendly chicken flavor
- Easily digestible and absorbable formula
- Slightly higher price tag
- Contains liver meal
Review: Customers describe the Vets Preferred Advanced Joint Support treats as a “five-star product for sure.” They say it is a “must” and can make “senior dogs act like pups.” Plus, they are “perfect for picky eaters.” All things considered, the Vets Preferred Advanced Joint Support is our choice as the best age-specific option for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Summary: An old dog can suffer from daily motion and strenuous activities. But save all the worries — Open Farm Hip & Joint Supplement Chews for Dogs were created utilizing only functional, 100% traceable, and vet-recommended ingredients to improve your dog’s joint health and mobility. Get 20% off your first auto-ship order with code VET20.
- 20% off your first auto-ship order with code VET20
- Supports joint health, mobility & relief from occasional discomfort
- Helps maintain healthy cartilage & connective tissues
- Helps support normal inflammatory response
- 100% traceable ingredients
- OceanWise® approved green-lipped mussels
- No significant cons
Review: Satisfied dog owners reported that they have seen their dog’s mobility improving after administering these chews. To quote one honest review from Amazon, “my dogs were a bit hesitant at first but seem to enjoy them now and are eating them. They seem to be moving a bit better as well!”
Summary: PetLab Co. Joint Care Chews contain potent ingredients that are known to support healthy joint fluid and flexible tissue in dogs. These flavorful chews help enhance the mobility of your dog’s joints and lessen any occasional discomfort they may experience. Moreover, these chews offer overall joint and tissue support, especially for aging dogs and those with hip dysplasia, arthritis, or any other joint health problem.
- Contains omega-3 and glucosamine which are beneficial for dogs
- Helps ease everyday joint stiffness brought on by hip dysplasia
- Supports healthy joints and pliability
- Enhances canine exercise tolerance
- Made with premium ingredients from the US and other prime locations worldwide
- A bit pricey compared to other brands
Review: Satisfied customers stated that this product really helped reduce their dogs’ limping and enabled them to gain back their normal, healthy walk. Many have also testified that their dogs have returned from being energetic and playful. Considering all these positive reviews, as well as the proven quality of the product, we highly recommend PetLab Co. Joint Care Chews as a supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia and other mobility issues.
Summary: Vet-Virtue Turmeric Soft Chews for Dogs are a natural supplement for dogs that contain organic turmeric, known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is a powerful natural antioxidant that can help with joint inflammation and mobility in dogs caused by arthritis. These treats also contain curcumin, collagen, and Bioprene for added joint support for dogs. Even the pickiest eater will love these soft chews which are easy to eat and taste great.
- Made with organic turmeric
- Helps alleviate inflammation and pain
- Easy to take soft chew
- Made in a USA laboratory
- Money back guarantee
- Turmeric can stain
Review: Customers who have tried Vet-Virtue Turmeric for Dogs report that their dogs love the taste of the soft chews and that they have seen improvements in their dog’s mobility and overall health.
Summary: The WoofWell Soft Chews is the world’s first breed-specific supplement for dogs. There are slight differences in the ingredient profile based on the breed’s needs. However, all versions include the universal joint-friendly ingredients – glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, fish oil, MSM, and hyaluronic acid.
- High-quality and natural ingredients
- NASC seal for quality
- No artificial additives
- Supports muscles and connective tissues
- Improves eye health and boosts immunity
- Relatively expensive
- The chews are not very soft
Review: After using the supplement, pet owners report an “easier time getting up” and “healthier looking coat.” They say it is “kind of expensive” but “dog-approved” and “helpful.” All things considered, the WoofWell Soft Chews is our choice as the best breed-specific option for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Summary: The Fera Pet Organics Hip + Joint Support for Dogs is a vet-formulated supplement featuring glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, organic turmeric, Green Lipped Mussel, yucca root, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C. The soft chews are chicken liver flavored and free from wheat, grain, fillers, and artificial preservatives.
- Enhances bone and joint health
- Added fish oil and turmeric
- Gluten and dairy-free formula
- No artificial additives
- NASC quality seal
- Some dogs refuse to eat them
- No details about the type of fish oil
Review: Customers say this “awesome product” is “the best hip and joint supplement for all breeds, ages, and stages.” They mention that it “works wonders” and “dogs love it.” All things considered, the Fera Pet Organics Hip+Joint Support for Dogs is our choice as the best gluten-free option for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Summary: Featuring excellent purchaser reviews, top-notch ingredients, and an NASC quality seal, the Vet‘s Best Aches + Pains Chewable Tablets are one of the best natural supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia. In addition to the joint health gold standards – glucosamine and MSM, they contain pineapple bromelain, white willow bark, and yucca root.
- Natural product made of plant-based ingredients
- Features NASC seal of quality
- Relieves joint and muscle discomfort
- Easy to use chewable tablets
- Best for active, senior, and large breed dogs
- Must be kept out of reach (pets and kids)
- Some dogs dislike the flavor
Review: Pet owners say this is an “amazing product” that “works great” and is “easy to use.” They also describe it as an efficient substitute for pain medications. All things considered, the Vet‘s Best Aches + Pains Chewable Tablets is our choice as the best budget-friendly option for dogs with hip dysplasia.
Best Joint Supplement Ingredients for Dogs With Hip Dysplasia
One of the main things you need to consider when choosing the right joint supplement for a dog with hip dysplasia is the ingredients. Here is a list and short explanations of the most important ingredients:
- Glucosamine. Glucosamine is an aminosugar and a key cartilage building block (cartilage is the rubbery tissue on the tips of bones that prevents the rubbing of the two bone surfaces). Glucosamine inhibits cartilage breakdown and stimulates its growth, resulting in decreased joint pain and improved mobility. It also slows down the joint space narrowing – a common symptom in joint disease. All in all, glucosamine supports joint health on various levels, and it is among the first ingredients you should look for when choosing a supplement for dogs with hip dysplasia.
- Chondroitin Sulfate. Similar to glucosamine, chondroitin is a crucial cartilage component. It is therefore beneficial in conditions that cause cartilage breakdown, such as hip dysplasia. Chondroitin sulfate inhibits the cartilage-damaging enzymes and chemicals and improves the joint’s compression resistance preventing bone deterioration. It also slows down the narrowing of the joint space. The effects of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine are very similar. In fact, when used together, they boost each other’s potency. Therefore, they are found together in arthritis and hip dysplasia supplements.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). MSM is a sulfur-based compound with antioxidant properties. The sulfur component is vital as it ensures cartilage repair by providing sulfur to the cartilage building blocks. The antioxidant properties prevent joint damage and degenerations. Chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, and MSM have a synergistic effect on each other. Synergism is a situation where combining two compounds results in a much greater effect than if the compounds were used separately.
- Hyaluronic Acid. Hyaluronic acid is a water-loving polysaccharide molecule and a connective tissue component. Hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the joint to improve its lubrication and prevent the bone surfaces from rubbing against each other. It also supports cartilage tissue repair.
- Omega Fatty Acids. Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Their primary role in arthritis management is combating inflammation and neutralizing free radicals. By reducing inflammation and preventing damage, omega 3 fatty acids minimize swelling, alleviate joint pain and reduce the cartilage degeneration rate.
- CBD Oil. Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is obtained from the cannabis plant. CBD oil can be very beneficial in joint diseases. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help curb inflammation in arthritic joints. Reduced inflammation is important for pain relief. CBD also has a direct effect on pain by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). CBD may also provide relief for other symptoms that may arise from hip dysplasia, like anxiety and bad mood.
- Claw Root Extract. Claw root extract is made from a plant called Devil’s claw. Devil’s claw is a medicinal plant native to South Africa. The root extract has long been used in traditional medicine for various diseases, including joint disease. Claw root extract possesses anti-inflammatory properties and may also provide pain relief.
- Organic turmeric. Turmeric has been hailed for its potent healing properties, and it is for a good reason. Turmeric is one of the strongest antioxidant and anti-inflammatory plants that are known to man. The compound curcumin that gives turmeric its characteristic bright yellow color is what gives it its health-promoting properties as well. Turmeric or curcumin supplements can be of great help in hip dysplasia as they slow down the degradation of joint tissues. The supplements may also be effective in reducing pain.
- Boswellia serrata. Boswellia serrata is a medicinal plant whose extracts are used for healing purposes in Asian and African traditional medicine. The plant’s anti-inflammatory properties are beneficial to several diseases, including arthritis. Its central role in dogs with hip dysplasia is reducing inflammation and joint pain.
- Green Lipped Mussels (GLM). Green Lipped Mussels are a type of mollusk native to the waters of New Zealand. They are eaten in many parts of the world because of their health-boosting nutrient profile. Green Lipped Mussels are rich in many nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, and minerals. Plus, GLM are also loaded with chondroitin – an essential component of cartilage tissue.