Table of Contents
Best Puppy Shampoos Summary
- Best Puppy Shampoo Overall: Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo
Made with colloidal oatmeal, this natural pet shampoo plays five roles and is perfect for both puppies and adult dogs.
- Best Puppy Shampoo for Sensitive Skin: Earthbath Ultra-Mild Wild Cherry Puppy Shampoo
This gentle puppy shampoo is made with natural ingredients and can be used on irritated skin as it is free from harsh chemicals.
- Best Puppy Shampoo with Vet-Formula: Veterinary Formula Solutions Puppy Love Extra Gentle Shampoo
Natural dog shampoo made with carefully selected ingredients that are gentle and fit to use on puppies as young as six weeks.
- Best Puppy Shampoo for Moisturization: Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for Puppies
With aloe vera and shea butter, this natural product is perfect for furry friends with hot spots, itchy skin, and other skin conditions.
- Best Puppy Shampoo with Dual Action: Warren London 2 in 1 Puppy Shampoo
Recommended by groomers and pet owners, this tearless shampoo cleans the dog’s skin and conditions the dog’s fur.
Do Puppies Need Puppy Shampoo?
Yes, the best puppy shampoo is an essential grooming tool.
It is recommended you use puppy formula because puppy shampoos are made with mild, often all-natural ingredients to avoid skin irritations.
The best puppy shampoo should also feature a tearless formula – that way, you do not have the worry about the cleanser getting in the puppy’s eyes.
The Best Puppy Shampoos Reviewed
Summary: This 5-in-1 formula cleans, deodorizes, conditions, detangles, and moisturizes while using safe and natural ingredients. Ecofriendly and free of synthetic chemicals, this shampoo is a one-stop, easy-to-use dog cleanser designed for puppies older than 12 weeks. Overall, this is the best puppy shampoo.
Key Ingredients: Water, plant-based surfactants derived from coconut and palm, oats, aloe
- With all-natural ingredients
- Excellent 5-in-1 formula
- Free from parabens or sulfates
- Made in the USA
- No hassle satisfaction guarantee
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: Honest Paws 5-n-1 Oatmeal Shampoo has many positive reviews noting its effectiveness and satisfaction with the quality of its ingredients. Some customer reviews stated it made bath time more enjoyable. However, some complained it did not lather as expected.
Summary: Made with a high-grade gentle formula, with ingredients like aloe vera to soothe your puppy’s sensitive skin, this shampoo is excellent for puppies. Plus, Earthbath Ultra-Mild Wild Cherry Puppy Shampoo is safe to use with flea and tick treatments as well.
Scent: Wild cherry
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera and vitamin E
- With plant-based ingredients
- Tearless and ultra-mild formula
- Cruelty-free production
- Super-concentrated formula
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Container may not hold up to the stress of shipping
Review: Reviewers on Amazon praised its effectiveness on their puppy’s skin and fur. They noted the scent was “pleasant” and “soft,” but others complained about their bottle breaking open during shipping.
Summary: Extra-gentle and tearless puppy shampoo formulated by veterinarians. Made with mild and potent ingredients, the shampoo is safe for puppies over six weeks old. The formula leaves the skin and coat moisturized and silky with a fresh scent.
Key Ingredients: Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate and sodium alpha-olefin sulfonate
- Tearless and gentle formula
- Leaves the coat soft and fluffy
- Doesn’t wash off topical treatments
- Free of DEA and parabens
- Suitable for frequent use
- Thorough rinsing takes time
Review: Most pet owners on Amazon found this product useful for cleaning and conditioning their pup’s coat. However, some customers noted that the shampoo was difficult to rinse off and claimed it had a strong and rather “artificial” odor.
Summary: Formulated with oatmeal, olive oil, aloe, and shea butter to protect your pup’s coat and promote healthy skin. This premium quality dog shampoo is designed with all-natural ingredients free of sulfates, dyes, parabens, and phthalates and, therefore, safe for puppies.
Key Ingredients: Gentle surfactant blend with coconut-based cleanser, oatmeal, olive oil, aloe, and shea butter
- Made with natural ingredients
- Hypoallergenic and tear-free formula
- Fit for dry, itchy, and irritated skin
- Free from harsh chemicals
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- A little pricier than other options
Review: Many Amazon reviews noted its positive effects on their adult dog with skin allergies and puppies with dry skin. Some users, however, were critical of the scent noting it did little to cover the odor coming from their puppy.
Summary: Made for adult dogs, puppies, and cats, this shampoo and conditioner is pH balanced to support silky coats and hydrated skin. This moisturizing shampoo formula is recommended by groomers and gives puppies a pleasant baby powder scent.
Scent: New baby scent
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, shea butter, vitamins A, D, and E
- 2 in 1 formula for easy and quick baths
- Healthy blend of natural ingredients
- pH balanced for puppies, adult dogs, and cats
- Suitable for all coat and skin types
- Made in the USA
- Not very good at detangling the coat
Review: Some consumers on Amazon stated this product was a great help for their pets with skin allergies and that it had worked where other products had failed. The main critical point regarded the conditioning effect of the formula is that it does not have a detangling effect.
Which Shampoo is Best for Puppies?
Honest Paws 5-n-1 Oatmeal Shampoo is our top pick for the best puppy shampoo because of its 5-in-1 formula made to clean, deodorize, condition, detangle, and moisturize.
Plus, as the best puppy shampoo, it is made with all-natural ingredients in the USA. The bottle is strong and filled adequately to ensure safe transportation.
What Should I Look for in a Puppy Shampoo?
Generally speaking, it is good to look for natural ingredients and soap-free options with soothing and hydrating effects on your puppy’s fur and skin.
When looking for the best puppy shampoo, consider the following:
- Natural Ingredients. The best puppy shampoo is made of natural ingredients that support skin and coat health. Such as aloe vera, chamomile, coconut oil, essential oils, etc.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The best puppy shampoo is free of chemicals (parabens, sulfates, phthalates) and artificial additives (dyes, fragrances) that are harsh on the dog’s coat.
- Quality of Bottle. Some brands ship their bottles completely full of shampoo, and as a result, the pressure can make the bottle leak or even break the package.
- Scent. This can be a deal-breaker – even the best puppy shampoo will not work if you or your puppy find the scent repulsive or unpleasant.
- Brand. In the end, consider the brand. A reliable brand will be transparent and feature reviews from previous customers. A money-back guarantee says a lot about the brand.
- Cleans, deodorizes, conditions and detangles coat, moisturizes skin-- Honest Paws Well is a one-step and easy to use premium dog wash. It is all you need to keep your dog’s fur and skin soft, moisturized and clean.
- This wash uses the hydrating properties of soothing oats and aloe that replenishes the skin’s natural moisture while conditioning the fur. Prevent matting and irritation, and keep your pup happy with each bath.
- This formula can be used on all breeds and on puppies over 12 weeks of age. It is dye-free, and it does not contain MEA, DEA, sulfates, or parabens.
What Ingredients Should Be Avoided in a Puppy Shampoo?
Some harsh chemicals should be avoided when it comes to searching for a puppy shampoo. Here is a list of common ingredients to avoid when buying a new shampoo:
- Artificial Fragrances. This term can be used to hide harmful chemicals in an ingredients list, such as phthalates, known for disrupting the hormonal balance in dogs.
- Mineral Oils. Mineral oils can disrupt the skin’s ability to produce natural oils. In the long run, this is harmful as it makes the skin dry and prone to dandruff and scaling.
- Parabens. Parabens are preservatives that store in a dog’s body, causing hormonal disruptions that can hinder your puppy’s growth and maturity.
Can I Use Baby Shampoo on My Puppy?
Yes, you can use baby shampoo on your puppy. However, this is just in the case of an emergency.
Baby, just like human shampoo, is made for different skin pH and may irritate the puppy’s delicate skin. Plus, human skincare products often contain harmful ingredients.
Anyway, baby shampoo is a better option than a human shampoo as it is milder and more likely to feature all-natural ingredients.
Do Puppies Need Conditioner?
Yes, puppies need a conditioner.
Puppy shampoos can dry out the puppy’s skin and fur, and using a conditioner helps with hydration and can also help detangle the hair. This feature is particularly useful in long-haired breeds.
However, do not forget to use a conditioner made for puppies. For convenience, shampoo brands often add a conditioner to their formulas.
When Should I Bathe My Puppy?
Generally speaking, you should not bathe your puppy before it is at least eight weeks old. Being wet for an extended period may cause illness as your puppy cannot warm up on its own.
After this age milestone, the bathing frequency depends on factors such as overall skin and coat health, individual needs, and lifestyle.
How Often Should You Bathe a Puppy?
A good rule of thumb is once the puppy reaches eight weeks of age, pet parents can begin bathing on a monthly basis. However, you need to consult with a vet about the specific guidelines for your pup’s bathing schedule.