Best Dog Brain Supplements Summary
- SAMe for Dogs Cognitive Brain Support Powder – Best Overall Brain Supplement for Dogs
- SAMe for Dogs Cognitive Brain Support Tablets – Best Brain Supplement in Tablet Form
- Ark Naturals Gray Muzzle Brain’s Best Friend Soft Chews – Best Brain Supplement Soft Chew
- maxxipaws maxxiSAMe Advanced SAM-e Cognitive Supplement Powder – Best Brain Supplement Powder
Why Should You Strengthen a Dog’s Brain?
Brain supplements for dogs are vital for keeping their brains sharp and robust. This is particularly important as dogs age and their cognition starts failing, which affects the overall quality o life. The goal is for your dog to thrive, not just exist as they age.
There are health conditions and medical issues related to cognitive function you can address before your dog gets older. An old dog can learn new tricks, but why not start strengthening a dog’s brain before they’re in their senior years.
Cognitive decline as a dog ages is inevitable, so what you feed them and overall enrichment makes a difference. There are a few health issues pet owners need to understand that may occur and are directly related to cognitive function. Such conditions include:
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s disease and depression
- Canine cognitive dysfunction is typically characterized by memory loss
- Sensory loss (different than memory loss)
- Some aging dogs may be bothered more by loud noises and changes in their environment
- Aging dogs experience behavioral and personality changes
- Cognitive decline in an aging brain can impact how your dog behaves.
All of these conditions and situations could benefit greatly from brain supplements for dogs. However, before supplementing your dog, consult with the vet.
- Coco and Luna SAMe works to enhance cognitive and memory functions for cats and dogs.
- Contains choline and Inositol which promote brain and hepatic health by protecting the liver from damage and supporting metabolic activity.
- Our formula has the best natural ingredients, adjusted for cats and dogs in an easy to serve format.
What can I Give My Dog for Brain Health?
What you feed your dog establishes a long and healthy life. Dog food targeting brain health includes specific nutrients and brain supplements for dogs.
In addition, enrichment and mental stimulation for dogs help meet their instinctual needs. For example, dogs are scavengers and enjoy foraging, which boosts brain health and prevents cognitive function-related health issues.
Brain Supplements for Dogs. The experts at ForeverDog.com curated a list of anti-aging and longevity-promoting brain supplements for dogs. Here are some examples of brain supplements for dogs:
- Antioxidants, like vitamin E (from fruits and veggies) and vitamin C
- L-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid (ALA)
- Ginkgo Biloba
- EFAs or essential fatty acids (docosahexaenoic acid – DHA)
- Probiotics that support mental wellness boost gut health and the immune system.
Brain Food for Dogs. Animal Wellness says introducing longevity foods as brain foods for your dog helps provide extra nutrients as these are life-saving.
- Switch to a healthier diet and supplement foods with sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
- Holistic experts believe root veggies are essential.
- Algae and spirulina are more concentrated sources of chlorophylls. These ingredients help reduce inflammation.
Mental Stimulation for a Dog’s Brain. Games and toys are wonderful ways to help your dog’s mental well-being. Here are some popular mental games for dogs:
- Foraging toys like food puzzles (e.g., Kongs) require the dog to lick the food out of the hole at the end or search for pieces of kibble that are spread throughout smaller components.
- Scent games help dogs use their nose to process information and profoundly affect the dog’s mental well-being.
- Digging is a great outlet as many dogs enjoy this natural behavior. Create a digging pit in the yard by creating a sandbox and filling it with toys and treats.
What are the Benefits of Using Brain Supplements for Dogs?
Studies conducted at the University of Toronto by a team of researchers and behavioral neurologist Norton Milgram share that nutrition and brain supplements for dogs may play a critical role in brain function and overall behavior.
“Inclusion of fish oil rich in Omega 3 fatty acids in maternal foods has been shown to increase learning ability and ERG-assessed retinal function in growing puppies,” says Dr. Milgram.
Omega 3 fatty acids are one example of the many-core benefits of brain supplements for dogs. Here is a short review of the benefits of brain supplements for dogs:
- Helps support cognitive function. Brain supplements can help improve your dog’s well-being and live a healthier lifestyle. This is particularly important for older dogs.
- Contains ingredients that support the dog’s brain health. The ingredients in dog brain supplements slow down cognitive dysfunction and improve your dogs’ quality of life.
- Promotes normal healthy brain activity. There is a marked improvement in energy, behavior, and attitude seen in dogs that take brain supplements over a consistent period.
- Enhances brain function. Dog brain supplements decrease the rate of cognitive decline in many dogs. They reduce oxidative stress and nourish healthy brain cells.
- Increases awareness, decreases disorientation and confusion. Supplements designed to help with brain health in dogs help improve disorientation associated with old age.
- Enhances cognition in puppies. Brain supplements improve training in young dogs. Feeding fish oil rich in DHA enhances a puppy’s response to commands.
The Best Brain Supplements for Dogs Review
There are many different brain supplements for dogs on the market. However, they are not all made the same – some are of superior quality. To ensure a positive shopping experience, we have reviewed the best brain supplements for dogs.
Summary: SAMe for Dogs Cognitive Brain Support Tablets is a formula created to enhance memory overall and help prevent aging dogs from losing their mental capacity. The goal of the medication is to keep dogs mentally sharp and agile. The powder formulation allows you to give the exact amount needed.
- Supports liver health and metabolism
- Reduces inflammation and pain
- Game-changing powdered form
- Some dogs dislike the salmon flavor
Review: Many testimonials talk about how dogs with many cognitive issues and symptoms taking this supplement are seeing a huge difference in just days. One small terrier seemed to be confused at times, peeing in the house or on the cement driveway rather than out in the yard. After reading these reviews (and talking to her vet), the owner started her dog on this product, and all symptoms completely disappeared. All in all, this is the Best Overall Brain Supplement for Dogs.
Summary: SAMe for Dogs Cognitive Brain Support Tablets is a formula created to enhance memory overall and help prevent aging dogs from losing their mental capacity. The goal of the medication is to keep dogs mentally sharp and agile.
- Supports liver health and metabolism
- Reduces inflammation and pain
- Beneficial for dogs with osteoarthritis
- Tablets can be tricky to give to some dogs
Review: An owner with a senior dog was given a very guarded prognosis, but this drug is now an essential part of her pet’s daily regimen. “Our senior dog was given a diagnosis of liver disease, and we were told her ‘days are numbered and to be prepared for her passing. We changed her diet to high-quality protein and added S-adenosyl 225 every day. That diagnosis was 36 MONTHS AGO. I truly believe this liver support has been an important component of her new regime and is why, at 15 years old, we still have her with us today!”
Summary: Ark Naturals Gray Muzzle Brain’s Best Friend Soft Chews are formulated to help manage cognitive issues, disorientation, recognition, and memory issues associated with aging.
- With fish oil, ginkgo, and L-theanine
- Combats cognitive dysfunction
- Convenient size of the chewable tablets
- Decreases dog's anxiety
- May cause diarrhea in sensitive dogs
Review: Especially anxious aging dogs that pant at night got better, and after just four days, one dog was back to using their doggy door. Other testimonials from pet owners tell us that dogs having trouble sleeping are finally sleeping throughout the night. This use of this drug also decreased the daily use of Xanax in some cases.
Summary: The maxxipaws maxxiSAMe Advanced SAM-e Cognitive Supplement Powder contains a powder form of SAM-e that guarantees the availability of this ingredient and protects it from interaction with environmental factors. In addition, the powder formulation allows you to give the exact amount needed.
- Potent antioxidant features
- Increases dopamine function in the brain
- Detoxifies the liver
- User-friendly powdered form
- Some dogs dislike the taste
Review: Pet owners said their dogs started to improve and enjoy walks again. In one case, a dog taking this supplement started eating 4/5 tiny meals a day and enjoying life again. This dog lived an extra six months because of this product, and “he was a very happy little man during that time.”
How to Choose the Best Brain Supplements for Dogs?
Brain supplements for dogs are not universally indicated for all aging pets. Namely, it is important to look at the change in behavior your dog is experiencing. Many age-related problems are associated with memory loss and anti-social behavior.
For example, if your dog is becoming more irritable around your other dogs, then you may research a supplement that focuses on calming, like L-theanine. When looking for high-quality brain supplements for dogs, consider the following:
- Every dog is unique; research an integrative vet to determine the best herbs for your aging dog.
- Too much of any medication may be toxic for your dog; make sure you consult with your vet before experimenting with new meds and supplements.
- Keep all your options open and perhaps try one new supplement and then have a few others in mind as a backup as one herb may have a different impact on different dogs.
What is Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS)?
Vet behavior consultants at Today’s Veterinary Practice tell us that cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS) is a neurobehavioral disorder affecting senior dogs.
“CDS is characterized by an age-related decline in cognitive abilities sufficient to affect functioning, with behavior changes that are not attributable to other medical conditions.”
What are the Symptoms of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction?
According to an article by VCA Hospitals, the top symptoms of CDS include:
- House soiling
- Disrupted sleep cycles
- Excessive whining
- Changes in interactions with other pets
How do You Treat Cognitive Dysfunction in Dogs?
For a senior dog, the symptoms of CDS include disorientation, loss of house-breaking habits, and changes in activity levels. These can be managed with brain supplements for dogs, special diets, and mental stimulation.
Other medical treatments may also help and are used with supplements. Once you see signs of aging and are considering nutritional supplements, it’s essential to rule out dog dementia with your vet.
A vet can help guide you on what to try and what brain supplements for dogs and mainstream drugs work well together. In general, a combination of medical and holistic options is beneficial.
According to research from the famous book “Your Dog’s Golden Years” these options seem to be working:
- Multivitamins and minerals for aging dogs
- High-quality dietary brain supplements for dogs
- Acupuncture and acupressure
- Cognitive and mental enrichment
- Specialized diets with fatty acids and antioxidants (that protect against free radicals)
- Anipryl for dogs with intense cognitive disabilities
- Clomicalm and Fluoxetine are drugs also used for signs like separation anxiety.