Table of Contents
What Is the Best Brush for Long-Haired Cats?
- Best Overall Brush For Long Hair Cats: Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
This is our top pick when it comes to the best brush for long-haired cats, based on the reviews on Amazon and Chewy.
- Best Deshedding Brush For Long Hair Cats: Aumuca Cat Grooming Deshedding Brush
If you are looking for a great deshedding cat brush that caters to fur tangles, this is the product you need.
- Best Dematting Brush For Long Hair Cats: Leo’s Paw Soft Deshedding Brush and Dematting Comb
If you are looking for a dematting brush for your cat’s undercoat, this product works great with both long and short-haired cats and also prevents hairballs.
- Best Grooming Glove For Long Hair Cats: Delomo Pet Grooming Gloves
These grooming gloves penetrate deep into your cat’s coat and distribute the natural oils through your cat’s fur for a shiny coat and healthy cat skin.
- Most Innovative Brush For Long Hair Cats: SleekEZ Grooming Deshedding Tool
This innovative brush works great for cat shedding and can be used for regular brushing as well, much to the relief of cat owners.
- Best Self-Cleaning Brush For Long Hair Cats: GM Pets™ Self Cleaning Grooming Brush
This self-cleaning brush has stainless steel nubs that work great if your cat has sensitive skin and removes loose fur, dirt, and dander from their coat.
- Best Pin Brush For Long Hair Cats: JOCHA Pin Brush Groomer
This high-quality pin brush is perfect for long-haired cats who are prone to matted fur and is recommended by most professional groomers for daily grooming sessions.
- Best Detangling Brush For Long Hair Cats: FURminator Long Hair Deshedding Tool
Among the various types of brushes available, this detangling cat comb helps remove loose hair and offers a comfortable grip handle for hair removal.
- Best Loose Hair Brush For Long Hair Cats: Coastal Pet Safari Shed Magic Deshedding Grooming Tools
This loose hair brush is great as a pet comb and works great on both the topcoat and undercoat, and can be paired with clippers and other grooming tools.
- Most Professional Brush For Long Hair Cats: GoPets Professional Double Sided Pin & Bristle Brush
This professional pet brush removes excess hair, loose hair, and also dead hair with the help of its soft bristles and ergonomic handle and also promotes self-grooming in cats.
Do Long-Haired Cats Need Special Brushes?
Yes, long-haired cats need special brushes.
The brush for long hair cats is specifically designed to be gentle on the coat and prevent damage to the skin. In general, the slicker brush is considered ideal for long-haired cats.
This cat brush has curved pins with thin teeth that help remove dirt, dander, and loose hair. If your cat is troubled with matted fur, this cat brush is perfect for your grooming needs.
Does FURminator Work on Long-Haired Cats?
Yes, the FURminator brush works for long-haired cats.
The FURminator Undercoat deShedding Tool is suitable for medium/large long-haired cats. It has the ability to remove loose hair and reduces shedding by up to 90%.
Additionally, it helps reduce hairballs and keeps your cat healthy overall. Use 1-2 times every week for 10 to 20 minutes per session on dry hair.
Do Cats Feel Better After Being Brushed?
Yes, cats feel better after being brushed.
Cats love to groom themselves. And if the owner does that for them, there is nothing like it. This builds trust between the owner and the pet and also improves the cat’s overall mood and behavior.
The Best Brushed for Long-Haired Cats Reviewed
There are many cat brushes designed for long hair. To help you find the right brush for long hair cats, we have reviewed some of the market’s best-sellers.
Summary: This brush for long hair cats has been designed with your pet’s comfort in mind. Additionally, it also keeps the pet owners in mind as it offers effortless brushing for a healthy coat. It features flexible bristles that give your cat a relaxed grooming experience. Its anti-slip handle provides an enjoyable experience for you as the pet owner. It effectively removes dirt, debris, and dander that is often trapped in your cat’s fur.
Brush Type: Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets
- Trusted by millions of pet owners
- Reduces shedding, detangles, removes dirt, and debris
- Keeps coat looking shiny and healthy
- Great for cats and dogs of all fur types
- The self-cleaning mechanism might stop working
- Could lead to scratching on your cat’s skin
Review: Fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy & healthy. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The wire bristles of this brush for long hair cats are made of stainless steel and are 1.2 times as thick as bristles of other deshedding brushes for cats. As a result, they are more sturdy and not easy to deform, and can be used for a long time. They feature 150° bent needles designed to penetrate deep into the coat and can groom the undercoat well. A button on the brush offers a release mechanism on the handle that saves time and energy when grooming and cleaning.
Brush Type: Deshedding Brush
- Suitable for cats with all hair types and lengths
- Perfect gift for pet owners, vets, and pet groomers
- Perfect for shedding and massaging your cat’s skin
- Made of stainless steel for added durability
- Designed to penetrate deep into the coat
- Can cause itching in rare cases
- Might poke your cat’s eye by mistake
Review: Using this cat brush for long-haired cats on a regular basis can gently and effectively remove loose hair, tangles, knots, dander, and trapped dirt. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: With an elastic, ergonomic design that doesn’t scratch the skin of your cat, your cat will always be ready for its comb-out session. This Hair Removal Massaging Shell Comb works on long, medium & short-haired cats, and works great also on dogs, bunnies & other pets. The Leo’s Paw cat hair removal comb has an elastic & soft plastic teeth design, which removes loose hair and massages the cat gently at the same time, stimulating their skin for better blood circulation.
Brush Type: Deshedding and Dematting Comb
- 200,000+ units sold
- Features an elastic and ergonomic design
- Doesn’t scratch the skin of your cat
- Works on long, medium & short-haired cats
- Crafted by cat lovers
- The design might not suit some cats
- The teeth might grab on to knots causing pain
Review: This 2-in-1 Shell Comb removes loose hair and massages your cat in the gentlest way possible, leaving a healthy and shiny fur, free from tangles & knots. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Summary: These grooming gloves are free from any materials which could cause skin damage to your cat. It is made with soft rubber that ensures a gentle massage and leads to grooming without painful removing of fur or scratching the skin. Thanks to its innovative design, it offers a one size fits all product paired with an adjustable wrist strap for a comfortable fit. These flexible, slip-on grooming brush for long hair cats allows you to brush away dirt and loose hair from cats and dogs.
Brush Type: Grooming Gloves
- Effectively brush away dirt and loose hair
- Suitable for different pets and all coat types
- Hair sticks to the glove and peels easily
- Massages without hurting the skin
- Five-finger design for accessing hard-to-reach places
- You might have to buy the left-handed version separately
- Might not be as effective as some other combs and brushes
Review: With enhanced 255 silicone grooming tips, mimics the touch of your hand for a soft and relaxing massage. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This Patented Wave Pattern Blade is perfectly constructed to gently brush away loose fur, dirt, and dander without snagging on your cat’s hair. This prevents painful grooming sessions that your cat might hate. Hair collects along the blade of teeth in tidy rows before falling to the ground for later cleanup. No need to pull hair from the tool. It just falls into neat little piles on the ground.
Brush Type: Deshedding Tool
- World’s #1 Patented Deshedding Tool
- Made to brush away loose fur, dirt, and dander
- The teeth are configured in a unique tooth and wave pattern
- Easy to clean up the hair
- Works on any animal with fur
- No hair release mechanism
- The wood might wear out with time
Review: Comprised of tiny teeth configured in a unique tooth and wave pattern, SleekEZ works by grabbing at the tips of the hair to extract from the skin without painful tugging. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This brush for long hair cats has been tailor-made, keeping every type of pet in mind. It has a user-friendly design that is easy on your hands and wrists and soft on your cat’s coat. It effectively removes knots, dander, dirt, and other debris that often get trapped in your cat’s coat. This shedding comb also offers a soothing massage feature that most animals love, especially sensitive cats.
Brush Type: Grooming Brush
- Removes undercoat, loose hair, & tangles
- Offers a massaging feature
- Works on all types of cat coat
- Easy to use, keep clean, and store
- Designed for long-term comfort
- Might not be suitable for short-haired cats
- Could scratch your cat’s skin if not used properly
Review: It has a soft, anti-slip grip and a thumb rest for comfort and control. You can brush your pet for hours and never get tired. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This pet grooming brush for long hair cats is suitable for pets of different sizes. You can use it on kittens, puppies, cats, small dogs, big dogs, or rabbits. It can also be used on pets with sensitive skin. Use it on thick or thin coats to gently removes long and loose undercoats, mats and tangled hair dander, and dirt treatment. The stainless-steel pins are durable and will remain in great shape for many years to come. It offers a non-slip surface that will not slide out of your hand during use.
Brush Type: Grooming Brush
- Safely and gently removes loose hair
- Works against knotted hair, dander, and trapped dirt
- Increases blood circulation
- Prevents hair loss and improves immunity
- Made of high-quality PP material
- The product might rust in rare cases
- The width of the comb might not suit some cats
Review: After combing the pet’s hair, you can easily clean the fur on the brush by simply pressing the button. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The Long Hair deShedding Tool for Large Cats is specially designed for cats that are over 10 pounds and have coats that are longer than 2 inches. It features a 2.65 -inch long hair stainless steel edge that reaches deep beneath your cat’s long topcoat and safely removes the undercoat and loose hair. Additionally, the FURejector button cleans and removes loose hair from the tool with ease maintaining hygiene.
Brush Type: Deshedding Tool
- Remove loose hair from the topcoat & undercoat
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and easy use
- Remove loose hair without damaging the coat
- deShedding tool for large cats with long hair
- Not suitable for small cats with short fur
- Can not be used during bath sessions
Review: The deShedding tool may be used on most long- and short-haired pets, including dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, ferrets, and other small pets. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The Shed Magic De-Shedding Tool for Cats with Medium to Long Hair is the perfect multi-purpose tool to quickly remove loose hair, excess undercoat, and stubborn mats or tangles. This professional quality grooming brush for long hair cats has stainless steel blades specifically designed to easily remove dead hair without irritation to the skin. Overall, the product is safe and easy to use. These quality products help to reduce shedding and hairballs while promoting healthy coats for pets.
Brush Type: Deshedding Tools
- Stainless steel blades efficiently stop excessive hair loss
- Successfully removes mats and tangles
- The ergonomic handle ensures a secure grip
- Keeps your cat and home clean
- Designed for medium to long hair breeds
- Not suitable for pets with short hair and coat
- The wide-tooth design might not suit some cats
Review: Use your Safari cat grooming brush frequently to help prevent hairballs, enhance the coat’s natural luster, reduce shedding, and encourage a healthy coat. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: Excessive hair and fur can be a challenge for dog and cat owners. With the GoPets pin comb and bristle comb combo, you can now get a healthy-looking coat without a trip to the groomers. The double-sided combo brush is great for all different types of combing and brushing needs. This improves your cat’s overall behavior and mental health as it develops a strong bond between the pet and the owner.
Brush Type: Double-Sided Pin and Bristle Brush
- Great pin and bristle brush suitable for all coats
- Helps with comfortable grooming
- Gets rid of mats and loose hairs
- Easy to hold and use without fatigue
- Made of durable materials
- The pins might detach and cause problems
- Contains parts that could be a choking hazard
Review: This double-sided brush for long hair cats meets all your cat’s grooming needs and helps with finishing and combing. Amazon customers give this brush for long hair cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
What Kind of Brush is Best for a Long-Haired Cat?
According to most vets, a slicker brush is recommended for a long-haired cat. This is because the unique design of this brush can help remove dirt, debris, dander, and other particulate matter that could otherwise lead to skin problems in your cats.
There are some factors that need to be kept in mind before choosing the right brush for long hair cats:
- Durability. The brush you select has to be durable. Long-haired cats can often have stubborn fur that might be difficult to counter. Therefore, make sure that the brush is made of premium materials and will not break under stress and strain from the grooming session.
- Purpose. The brush you buy should have a purpose. While you can always opt for a generic brush, there are some brushes that offer solutions to common problems such as fur mats, tangled fur, dirt trapped in the fur, and so on. Talk to a vet about what kind of brush would suit your cat.
- Cost. Without compromising on durability, make sure that the brush is relatively cheap. There is no point in buying a costly brush if there is a cheaper one out there doing the work much better.
- Hygiene. Finally, the brush should be easy to clean. This ensures a hygienic environment and keeps your cat free from diseases that could otherwise cause harm to their skin.
How Often Should a Long-Haired Cat Be Brushed?
If you have a long-haired cat, make sure you brush them every day for a minimum of 10 minutes. However, some cats might not prefer being brushed. In that case, try and brush them as much as they would allow you to do so.
What is the Best Way to Brush a Long-Haired Cat?
The best way to brush a long-haired cat is to use a slicker brush.
Make sure that your cat is dry, especially after a shower, in order to prevent further matting in their fur. While brushing, make sure you go in the direction of the fur and not against it. Otherwise, you might cause harm to their skin and make the process a lot more painful.
How do You Brush a Long-Haired Cat that Hates Brushing?
If your cat hates being brushed, make sure that it is tired after a long play session.
The grooming session will be much easier if your cat is relaxed. Additionally, you can also groom it when it comes to you for cuddles or when it shows you its tummy while playing. As an alternative, you can use calming treats such as the Honest Paws Calm CBD Soft Chews for Cats.
Just make sure that you do not do it against their will, or you will end up hurting them and hurting yourself in the process, as cats can get aggressive really fast.