You may have been in a situation where you ran out of human CBD oil, but you have dog CBD oil on hand. Chances are you considered taking a few dog CBD oil drops.
However, you wondered, “Can humans take pet CBD oil?” Well, we are happy to confirm that pet CBD oil is perfectly safe for human consumption.
Keep reading to learn how humans can safely use CBD oil formulated for pets but not the other way around – why dogs should not consume human CBD oil.
Is it Safe for Humans to Take CBD Oil for Dogs?
Yes, humans can safely use their dog’s bottle of pet CBD oil. Superior quality CBD oils for humans and pets will have the same impact on health and overall well-being.
CBD Affects All Mammals in the Same Way
To help you understand how CBD affects mammals, first, we need to explain what CBD is. CBD (cannabidiol) is a naturally occurring compound found in Cannabis plants.
The Cannabis family includes two closely related plants – hemp and marijuana. Since the 2018 Farm Bill, the hemp plant has been legalized throughout the U.S.
The hemp plant is rich in health-boosting cannabinoids and low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – a psychoactive compound responsible for psychedelic experiences in people and powerful toxic effects in pets. Since the marijuana plant is rich in THC, all pet CBD products are hemp oil derivatives and not marijuana extracts.
With CBD covered, it is time we elaborate on how it works. Simply put, CBD works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is present in all mammals, and as a regulatory system, it is responsible for maintaining a state of balance or homeostasis.
The ECS consists of endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors. The cannabinoids from the cannabis plant can replace the body’s endocannabinoids and bind with the receptors, thus boosting the ECS.
Since CBD affects all mammals the same way, we can expect that dogs and people will experience the same health benefits of CBD oil. They can also experience the same potential side effects.
The side effects of CBD oil include dry mouth, increased thirst, drowsiness, lowered blood pressure, diarrhea. These side effects are minor, self-limiting, and can be managed through CBD dosage modification.
What is the Difference Between Pet CBD and Human CBD?
When it comes to pure CBD oil, the herbal extract is essentially the same for both humans and pets.
However, CBD oil as an end product can differ based on whether it was formulated for humans or pets. The differences can be classified into one of the following groups.
Human CBD oils are required to meet strict FDA regulations to ensure safety for human consumption. On the other hand, pet supplements are not held to the same safety and quality standards.
Therefore, to ensure a safe and trustworthy product for your pet, choose a certified and reputable CBD brand offering human-grade CBD products.
CBD dosage for dogs is different from the dosage for people due to the vastly different body weights between dogs and humans. The dosage guidelines on a pet CBD product do not apply to humans and vice versa.
For example, your high dose will not agree with your Toy Poodle’s tiny bodyweight. Make sure you have the correct CBD dosage for you and your pet before using the CBD product.
CBD oils for pets and humans come in various strengths. A high-potency product is better suited for larger dogs and for a longer-lasting tincture as it contains more milligrams of CBD per milliliter of oil.
For example, one milliliter of a 1000 mg CBD tincture will have a more powerful effect than the same amount from a 125mg CBD oil.
Pet CBD oils and treats are enriched with flavors appealing to the dog’s palate. This is because dogs are not big fans of the CBD’s natural, earthy taste and prefer taste-enhancing flavors like bacon, cod liver oil, or peanut butter.
Based on personal preferences, those dog-friendly flavors may not be appealing to the more delicate human taste buds.
Can Humans Take CBD Oil for Dogs
Yes, humans can take CBD oil for dogs. Pet owners must ensure their dogs are using high-quality, human-grade CBD. Humans should not rely on the dosage guidelines provided by the pet CBD manufacturer.
Can Dogs Take the Same CBD as Humans?
Since human products can contain high doses of THC, which is toxic to animals, human CBD oil is not suitable for dogs.
Plus, human CBD oil can contain other potentially toxic and troublesome ingredients for dogs, such as xylitol (an artificial sweetener with toxic effects on dogs).
How can Humans Take Dog CBD Oil?
The most popular way of using CBD oil for both pets and humans is sublingual (under the tongue). From this point, the oil overpasses the digestive system and shortly enters the bloodstream, thus achieving fast results.
However, if you dislike the CBD taste, you can mix it with food but keep in mind that it will take a little longer before the CBD effects kick in.
Sharing CBD tinctures is acceptable, but what about sharing other CBD products? Well, in theory, people can consume high-quality, human-grade CBD dog treats, but in practice, their taste might not be ideal.
To avoid the minor side effects that are seldomly associated with CBD products, pet parents need to follow dosage guidelines for themselves and their pet, especially if dipping into the same bottle of CBD oil.
When you have calculated the correct CBD dosage for your body weight, you can adjust the amount of oil in the dropper depending on your ailment and tolerance. As a general rule of thumb, humans can take around 1 to 6 milligrams for every 10 pounds of body weight.
CBD Oil can be Beneficial for Humans and Pets
CBD oil can be beneficial for managing the following issues and conditions:
- CBD for arthritis: has anti-inflammatory properties and reduces joint pain, thus supporting normal mobility.
- CBD for allergies: manages skin conditions associated with inflammation and helps with seasonal allergies.
- CBD for epilepsy: decreases the frequency and severity of epileptic seizures while increasing the efficacy of conventional anti-epileptic drugs.
- CBD for cancer: decreases the reproduction of cancerous cells, has tumor-shrinking features and increases the survival rates in cancer patients.
- CBD oil for anxiety: relieves stress and anxiety, improves sleep and helps with noise phobias.
- CBD for hyperactivity: balances the mood and promotes calmness and relaxation.
- CBD for glaucoma: lowers the intraocular pressure and protects the eye cells from damage.
Some of the above-mentioned beneficial effects are shown in people and others in animals. However, since CBD affects all animals the same, we can assume that the benefits are also the same in both humans and pets.
Finding the Right CBD oil
CBD has become a highlight in holistic options for pet parents who want to ease traditional medication and embrace alternative remedies. In fact, the pet CBD market achieved 946% growth in 2019, according to Brightfield Group research.
With such a booming market, low quality CBD products have unfortunately started to saturate the market. But what is the point of using a holistic product if it does not check the boxes for purity, safety, and quality?
- Full-spectrum CBD oil is superior to isolate CBD or broad-spectrum CBD oil. It is extracted from the whole plant (flowers, leaves, stalks) and includes flavonoids, terpenes, and other cannabinoids. The CO2 extraction method for full-spectrum oil also guarantees a purer, higher-quality end product.
- Organic CBD oil that is human grade and free of pesticides, harmful bacteria, and chemicals is safe for you and your pets. Ideally, a high-quality CBD oil needs to be free from questionable ingredients like GMO, soy, corn, dairy, and gluten. The only added ingredient should be the carrier oil (usually an MCT like coconut oil).
- Hemp-derived CBD oil is harmless for your pet due to its low THC content. Anything higher than 0.3% THC can hurt your fur baby and leave you flying high.
- Lab results by a third party are important for verifying the claims of the CBD company. Check the Certificate of Analysis to confirm how much CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids are present in the oil.
Our Final Thoughts: Can Humans Take CBD Oil for Dogs
The Brightfield Group research found that 41% of pet owners give their pup CBD oil for dogs but have not tried it themselves. If you belong to this 41% but are curious about the potential benefits of CBD, rest assured pet CBD oil is safe for humans.
However, before you take pet CBD oil, make sure it is human grade and checks all the quality and safety boxes. If it does not, switch to a different CBD brand with premium-quality products.
That way, next time your cannabis tincture reaches its final drop, you can confidently use your dog’s pet CBD oil.