What Bowls are Best for Cats?
Our Top Pick
Pet-safe bowl made from high-quality, food-grade stainless steel with camera monitoring capabilities.
|Get 15% Off Petlibro|
A set of stainless-steel cat bowls for maximum safety.
|Get on Amazon|
A set of two cat bowls on a raised feeding station for the best posture while eating.
|Get on Amazon|
A set of two ceramic bowls with an ideal tilt of 15o for the perfect posture.
|Get on Amazon|
Best Value for Money
Set of two spacious and durable plastic cat bowls available at an affordable price.
|Get on Amazon|
Two clear and transparent cat bowls with a mess-free silicone mat that collects spills.
|Get on Amazon|
A set of three shallow, non-slip cat bowls that help your cat relax as they eat.
|Get on Amazon|
Best for Kittens
A single ceramic and raised cat bowl with perfect dimensions for young kittens.
|Get on Amazon|
What are the Types of Cat Bowls?
From plastic cat bowls to automatic feeders, there are several types of cat bowls. Let’s look at the different types:
- Slow Feeder Cat Bowls. Slow-feeding bowls are specifically designed to slow down feeding time. They are perfect for cats that tend to gulp down on food instead of chew. Slow eating is important for normal digestion and nutrient utilization.
- Elevated Cat Bowls. Elevated bowls are made to support better posture while eating. Proper posture is also important for digestion and even prevents vomiting (a common issue in cats). Elevated bowls are super-convenient for cats with neck issues and arthritis.
- Stainless Steel Cat Bowls. Stainless bowls are one of the safest options for food consumption. They are free of leaking toxins and easy to clean and maintain (usually dishwasher-safe). These bowls often have silicone lining on the bottom to keep them stable and quiet.
- Plastic Cat Bowls. Plastic bowls are lightweight, affordable, and easy to clean. However, they can break. Also, if buying plastic, cat owners must ensure that the plastic material is food-grade and safe – BPA-free. If damaged, they need to be replaced as bacteria grows into crevices.
- Ceramic Cat Bowls. Ceramic bowls are heavy-weight – they stay in place and do not flip, even if your cat likes to play around during mealtime. Ceramic bowls are easy to maintain and clean and are usually dishwasher and microwave-safe. The glazing of the bowls must be lead-free.
- Automatic Cat Bowls. Automatic bowls are a novel design featuring a food storage dispenser and a bowl. It is controlled via mobile apps and dispends pre-portioned amounts of cat food into the bowl at regular intervals.
- Collapsible Cat Bowls. Collapsible bowls are spacious cat bowls that can be folded and stored compactly. They are very convenient for traveling and cat owners that are on the go. They can also have a carabiner and can be attached to backpacks and hiking equipment.
All of these bowls can be used for both cat food and water. There is also another type of water bowl – the water fountain. Pet fountains are an excellent solution for poor water drinkers. The water flow is likely to entice the cat to drink more water.
What Bowls are Safest for Cats?
Stainless steel bowls are the safest option for cats. They are sturdy and cannot break. Plus, they are 100% safe and very easy to keep clean (they are usually dishwasher-safe). Stainless steel bowls are recommended by vets.
The second safest cat bowl option would be ceramic bowls. They are also sturdy and safe. The only thing that needs to be considered is the glazing – it must be lead-free. Most modern ceramic bowls are covered with lead-free glazing.
Non-stoneware bowls, like plastic, can be harmful to cats, especially if made with BPA materials or if damaged. Namely, when the plastic gets damaged, the crevices harbor bacteria which multiplies and is hazardous to cats.
Should Cat Bowls be Elevated?
Yes, cat bowls should be elevated.
The Best Cat Bowls Reviewed
There are many brands offering cat bowls. Based on thorough research and in-depth reviews, we have curated a list of the market’s best sellers. Take a look before clicking checkout.
Bowl Size: 13 × 7.5 × 7.5in (5L capacity)
Bowl Material: Stainless Steel
Summary: Petlibro Granary Camera Monitoring Feeder is an ideal and pet-safe cat bowl since it’s made from high-quality, food-grade stainless steel bowl which allows for healthy and hygienic feeding. It has a sealing strip and a built-in desiccant bag that allow cat food and kibble to stay fresh and crispy. Furthermore, this high-end cat bowl is so easy to clean and assemble, hence making it beneficial for both owners and pets alike.
- Use the code Vets15 for 15% off
- Made from food-grade stainless steel bowl
- Easy-to-clean and detachable
- Has a smart app control and 1080P HD Camera
- Keeps your cat from getting into the feeder to get more food
- Has high-quality sealing strip and a built-in desiccant bag
- Allows for clean, balanced eating
- A little expensive
Review: Based on 626 ratings on Amazon, many cat owners were impressed by Petlibro Granary Camera Monitoring Feeder due to its sleek look, HD camera, and accurate portion sizes.
Bowl Size: 5.87 x 5.87 x 2.2 inches; 4.8 Ounces
Bowl Material: Stainless steel
Summary: A set of two stainless steel cat bowls with a blue and gray colored silicone bottom that keeps the bowl in place with its anti-slip properties. This bowl is perfect for daily kibble, water, wet food, or treats. It is a dishwasher-safe product and is easy to clean up. It can also be used for small dogs and toy breeds.
- Lightweight food-grade stainless steel
- High-quality polished and brushed finish
- Non-skid silicone bottom
- Dishwasher-safe for easy maintenance
- Double functionality (food and water)
- Not elevated
Review: Based on 5,007 global ratings, this bowl set has an average rating of 4.6 / 5 on Amazon. Customers appreciate the size, material quality, and anti-slip properties.
Bowl Size: 5.1 x 7.7 x 16 inches; 30.72 ounces
Bowl Material: Stainless steel, bamboo frame
Summary: A set of two stainless steel cat feeders embedded with a handcrafted and eco-friendly bamboo frame. The frame has non-slip properties at the bottom, and the frame is adjustable from 4-4.5 inches. This improves the posture of your cat while eating and ensures better digestion. The stainless-steel bowls are easy to clean and maintain.
- Set of two elevated bowls
- Made with high-quality stainless steel
- Eco-friendly, elevated frame
- Adjustable bowl size
- Anti-slip feet on the frame
- Often out of stock on Amazon
Review: Based on 5,384 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.5 / 5. Customers claim it is of great quality and has the perfect height for their pets to eat comfortably.
Bowl Size: 13.4 x 6.2 x 4.9 inches, 33.6 ounces
Bowl Material: Food-grade ceramic, bamboo frame
Summary: A compact design with two embedded ceramic bowls in a bamboo top, raised by 4.9 inches. This product can be tilted up to 15 degrees for the best posture for your cats as they eat. This prevents spinal problems and digestion issues. The ceramic bowls can be easily removed and are microwaveable. Overall, the design is compact and innovative.
- Tilted and raised cat bowls
- No-mess and anti-slip design
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
- Excellent material quality
- Easy on the cat’s neck and joints
- Ceramic bowls may break if mishandled
Review: Based on 5,333 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.7 / 5. Customers love its design, elevation level, and ease of use.
Bowl Size: 5.38 x 3.25 x 4 inches, 6.49 ounces
Bowl Material: Plastic
Summary: A set of two plastic bowls raised 4 inches off the ground for the perfect posture while eating. The two bowls come separately in aesthetic pastel shades and can be used for food and water. The food dishes are dishwasher safe and made with BPA-free PET quality plastic. Plus, they are ergonomic and whisker-friendly.
- Ergonomic, raised bowls
- Set of 1 teal and 1 light pink dish
- Whisker-friendly oval design
- Dishwasher safe materials
- Available at an affordable price
- Plastic material
Review: Based on 27,106 global ratings, these feeder bowls have an average rating of 4.6 / 5 stars. Customers are happy with their size, unique design, and ease of cleaning.
Bowl Size: 10.8 x 5.2 x 2.7 inches. 13.4 Ounces
Bowl Material: Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (non-toxic plastic)
Summary: A set of two clear bowls set on top of a silicone mat, raised to a height of 2.8 inches off the ground. This feeding station can also be tilted at 15 degrees for ideal posture and anti-vomit properties. This also reduces stress on your cat’s joints and limbs. The bottom of the feeding station ensures the stability of the bowls. This product prevents water and food spills and keeps the floor mess-free as it comes with a placemat.
- Raised and tilted cat bowls
- Transparent, BPA-free bowl material
- With an anti-slip base
- Spill-proof and cute-looking design
- Comes with a silicone pet mat
- Plastic material
Review: Based on 2,956 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.3 / 5 stars. Customers love the ease of cleaning and its special anti-vomit features.
Bowl Size: 5.8 x 5.6 x 3.5 inches, 8 ounces
Bowl Material: 5A Food-grade melamine
Summary: A set of three food and water bowls that reduce your cat’s stress as they eat. The bowl depth and angles are specially designed to prevent your cat from developing beard fatigue and help them to keep their face clean. The bowls are made of melamine which ensures durability. The bottom of the bowls is equipped with silicone pads that make them stable.
- Set of three melamine bowls
- White, grey, and black dishes
- Unique and anti-stress design
- Anti-slip and silent bottom
- Shallow depth and angles for easy use
- Not elevated
Review: Based on 4,092 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.8 / 5. Customers claim this is a “game-changer” bowl and highly recommend it after continuous use.
Bowl Size: 5.1 x 5.1 x 3.4 inches, 5 ounces
Bowl Material: Ceramic, porcelain
Summary: A single raised ceramic bowl perfect for small cats or kittens. The bowl has a tilted design for optimal posture for a relaxed eating experience. The bowl is made of ceramic and porcelain material and is microwave and dishwasher safe. A cute design and pastel color make it attractive to your cat.
- Raised and tilted design for easy use
- Reduce neck burden and beard fatigue
- Dishwasher and microwave-safe materials
- Backflow (vomiting) prevention
- Available in four different colors
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: Based on 1,603 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.6 / 5. Customers love the design and product quality.
How do I Pick the Right Cat Bowl?
When picking a drinking or feeding bowl for your cat, there are several things to consider:
- Material. First of all, pet owners must ensure that the cat bowl is made of a durable and more importantly, pet-safe material. The safest material for feeding bowls is stainless steel.
- Type. As explained, there are several types of cat bowls. Choose the type of feeder that is best for your cat’s needs – elevated, tilted, or regular.
- Size and Shape. Next, check the size and shape of the pet feeder. The bowl store at least one meal portion. In terms of shape, it depends on the cat’s breed and face.
- Easy Maintenance. The cat bowl must be easy to keep clean. This is important since you will be washing it daily. Some bowls are safe to clean in the dishwasher.
- Durability. Dog & cat bowls made of stainless steel do not break easily and are more durable than ceramic or glass bowls. Durability is important, especially with expensive options.
How do I Know What Size Bowl to Get My Cat?
There are three points of consideration when choosing the size of your cat’s bowl:
- Width. Cats prefer wider bowls to avoid whiskers to bowl surface contact. This is because cats are sensitive to whisker fatigue. A wider cat dish helps them eat comfortably.
- Depth. Cats prefer shallow instead of deep bowls. Putting the head far inside a bowl can cause discomfort and stress in cats.
- Capacity. Ideally, the cat bowl should be big enough to store one meal amount. If the bowl is too small, you will need to refill it during mealtime.
How Big Should a Kitten Bowl be?
Ideally, the kitten’s feeding bowl should be 12 centimeters in diameter and store 2 cups of food.
Adult cats need wider bowls, as when they develop their whiskers, they need extra space to avoid contact between the whiskers and the bowl surface. However, in the case of kittens, this is not an issue.
Where Should You Put Your Cat’s Bowl?
It is best to place your cat’s bowl in a noise-free corner of your home – a calm place that is free of foot traffic.
Experts say that too much noise or people can stress your cat and force them to eat faster. This can result in indigestion and bloating. If your kitchen or bathroom is a quiet place, it is a good idea to place the pet food bowl there.
How Often Should You Wash Your Cat Bowls?
Your cat’s feeding bowl needs to be cleaned every single day by hand and in the dishwasher every few days. This is if they are eating kibble or dry foods. Daily cleaning is also recommended for cat water bowls.
If your cat is on a raw diet or eats a canned wet food diet, you need to wash the bowl every day. It is also advisable to wash the bowl in the dishwasher after the last meal of the day.
Just like dog bowls, cat bowls must be kept clean. Cats dislike eating and drinking from dirty bowls. Dirty bowls are also a health hazard as they harbor harmful bacteria.