What is the Safest Cat Carrier for Car Travel?
- Best Overall Cat Car Carrier: Mancro Airline Approved Collapsible Top Loading Cat Carrier
Great soft-sided cat carrier that is not only safe and convenient but is also comfortable and breathable.
- Most Convenient Cat Car Carrier: Henkelion TSA Airline Approved Travel Cat Carrier
Convenient and collapsible pet travel carrier with padded shoulder straps and carry handles on both sides.
- Most Affordable Cat Car Carrier: Moyeno Waterproof Travel Cat Carrier
This airline-approved cat crate is affordable and can also be used for long car rides and during road trips.
- Safest Cat Car Carrier: K&H Pet Products Travel Safety Carrier for Pets
Safety-oriented pet kennel with mesh panels on three sides and seat belt loops for maximum security during road trips.
- Most Spacious Cat Car Carrier: SPORT PET Large Pop Open Portable Kennel
This soft-sided, collapsible cat carrier has enough room to fit a large cat and can also be used as a dog carrier.
- Best Escape-Proof Cat Car Carrier: LOLLIMEOW Pet Carrier Backpack for Cats
Innovative and escape-proof pet carrier with locking zippers and wrap-around mesh windows for stress-free car trips.
Should I Put My Cat in a Carrier in the Car?
Yes, you should use a cat car carrier during car travel.
Since cats are distressed during car rides, putting them in a spacious and strong carrier will make things easier and safer.
Your cat should be put in a comfortable carrier, preferably in the backseat, and the carrier should be secured using the seat belt in a side face position.
The Best Cat Car Carriers Reviewed
Summary: This medium-sized cat car carrier is part of the Mancro family, and it comes at a great price. It has a comfortable and roomy design, with soft, breathable mesh and sturdy locking zippers to prevent your cat from getting out. It also comes with shoulder straps, so it’s easier to carry. The thick bottom padding makes it comfortable, and the collapsible design allows easy storage.
Dimensions: 17×11.5×11.8 inch (L x W x H)
Weight Limit: 20 pounds
- Water and scratch-resistant materials
- Sturdy structure and spacious interior
- Adjustable shoulder straps and carry handle
- Fully breathable and with multiple openings
- Washable and thick bottom pad
- The plastic pieces are difficult to set up
Review: This cat car carrier is recognized as a great cat cage, although the plastic pieces should be less complicated to set up. The overall design, once installed perfectly, is a joy to use. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This soft-sided pet carrier is an airline-approved model for large pets. It is convenient, safe, and portable featuring a breathable mesh design, side pockets, deluxe zippers, and other convenient features. It has an adjustable and well-padded shoulder strap that allows hands-free carrying. Plus, it can be safely secured on top of the luggage. When not in use, the carrier can be stored due to its collapsible design.
Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 0.7 inches (L x W x H)
Weight Limit: 15 pounds
- Can be secured on top of the luggage
- Sturdy leash latch and a cozy 3-layer mat
- Adjustable shoulder strap for hands-free carrying
- Foldable, storage-friendly design
- Available in several different and fun colors
- Not machine washable
Review: This is a great cat car carrier that promises comfort and safety for your cat. It comes with a plush mat that’s guaranteed to distract your cat from the stress of traveling, and it’s big enough for large cats. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This cozy cat carrier is great for small to medium pets and is just perfect for a car ride or a trip to the vet. It comes with a side pocket, three doors, and a handy design so you can drop it on your suitcase and drag it along with you easily. It is also airline-approved, meaning you can use it on airplane travels. The bottom of the pet carrier is padded to optimize the cat’s comfort, and the shoulder strap is padded for easy carrying.
Dimensions: 17.3 x 10.6 x 10.6 inches (L x W x H)
Weight Limit: 15 pounds
- Durable and safe, airline-approved design
- Waterproof, soft-sided, and collapsible carrier
- Padded bottom and shoulder strap
- Removable and washable cozy fleece pet bed
- Available in several fun colors and two sizes
- New carriers sometimes come with a smell
Review: This cat car carrier is an excellent choice for your small pets and is made to be more convenient for both you and your pet. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This pet carrier is great for pet owners who are all about safety. It is available in three different sizes for small, medium, and large pets, and all three can be strapped to the front or back seat of a car. The carrier is very easy to install and then uninstall for space-friendly storage. It has exits on both ends and is surrounded by breathable mesh for ventilation. Plus, the cat travel carrier comes from a reliable and experienced brand.
Dimensions: 29.5 x 22 x 25.5 inches (L x W x H)
Weight Limit: 10 pounds
- Universal fit for front and back seats
- Durable mesh sides for breathability
- Can easily be secured with a seat belt
- Removable and machine-washable pads
- Available in three different sizes
- The comfort mat can move out of place
Review: This cat carrier is safety-oriented and provides comfort to both the pet and the pet owner. From the adjustable leash during use to the collapse feature after use, it’s a joy to use. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This large kennel is perfect for cats of all sizes. It comes with two mesh-covered doors and a comfy waterproof bottom that’s easy to wash. The spacious cat kennel features durable gate entry on each side, roll-up mesh windows, and is collapsible for easy storage. Because of the large size, the kennel can fit two large cats. Plus, there is enough room to put a travel litter box.
Dimensions: 31.8 x 20 x 20 inches (L x W x H)
Weight Limit: 50 pounds
- Ideal kennel for large cats and small dogs
- Machine washable and waterproof pads
- Enough room for a cat litter & food/water bowl
- Can be used as a carrying bag
- Seat belt straps for maximum safety
- The removable liner can shift around during use
Review: This roomy cat car carrier is a great fit for pets of all sizes. With a litter box and plenty of room, it’s perfect for cross-country car travel. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This backpack cat carrier from Lollimeow features high-quality materials and innovative design that have catapulted it to become one of the best products on the market. The pet carrier is fully breathable and allows the cat to observe while being safely secured inside. The carrier is very lightweight and easy to carry around. Plus, it comes in three fun colors and can be used for small cats, large cats, or even puppies.
Dimensions: 11.4 x 10.6 x 16.1 inches (L x W x H)
Material: High-quality canvas
Weight Limit: 13 pounds
- Lightweight, waterproof, and well-ventilated
- Designed for long car rides and outdoor activities
- With a safe latch hook inside the carrier
- Fits under airline seats and on car seats
- Folds flat for easy storage when not in use
- Can be stuffy in hot weather
Review: This great backpack carrier is great for fans of lots of attention. It’s a great fit for pets of all sizes. The clear bubble gives cats the opportunity to observe without the hassle of actual contact. Cat owners give the carrier an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
What Should I Look for in a Cat Car Carrier?
There are a few things to watch out for when you are looking to purchase a cat car carrier. The following are some of the most important details to keep in mind:
- Size. Picking a pet carrier that’s just the right size for your cat should be one of the most important things pet owners should look out for. Cats feel more comfortable in a snug yet spacious carriers. It is important to measure your cat before purchasing a carrier.
- Safety. The safety of your cat is unarguably the most important thing to consider when you want to get a carrier. There are carriers with features like inbuilt seat straps, reinforcement plastic sticks, and others. You should make sure that the straps (shoulder, chest, seat belt, or otherwise) are firm.
- Maintenance. The cat carrier shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to maintain, especially if the carrier is going to get constant use. A lot of cat carriers are machine washable, while others aren’t but can be washed with mild soap and warm water.
- Cost. The cost is an important part of every purchase, and cat carriers are no different. You need to find a cat car carrier that suits your budget. Keep in mind that cat car carriers are a long-term investment.
- [Sturdy and Safe] This soft sided cat carrier comes with dual metal zippers and an inner safety leash to prevent your pet from escaping, The cat carrier with 3-side-mesh is more resistant to scratches and bites. The pet carrier is made of high-grade polyester and a solid metal frame, which will not cause the top to collapse. Pet carriers give your pet a spacious space, ensuring the safety of your pet.
- [Comfortable and Roomy] Mancro cat travel carrier comes with a removable furry washable pad bed made of cozy fleece and durable oxford fabric. When you go out to travel with the pet carrier, your pet sleeps inside the soft pet carrier, the bottom will not move at all because of 2 non-slip sticky belt fixed bottom. The cat carrier with soft fleece pad offers a cozy sleeping space for your pet.
- [Breathable Design] Pet carrier mesh windows on top and sides provide optimal airflow and can help your pet breathe fresh air. This pet travel carrier 3 side meshes can observe the external environment to reduce your pet's anxiety and make it feel safer. Pet carriers can check your pet's condition through the mesh at any time. You can enjoy travel time with your pets.
Where is the Safest Place to Put a Cat Carrier in the Car?
The safest place to put a cat carrier in a car is in the backseat. Your pet will be safe because, in the event of an accident, the front and rear end receive the brunt of the impact.
The cat carrier must be secured to the backseat with seat belts or the inbuilt straps. You should also surround the carrier with a lot of stuff to prevent it from bumping around on the seat.
If you have to keep the cat carrier in the front seat, make sure to wrap the carrier through the top and sides with the seat belt and shoulder straps.