What Backpack is Best for Cats?
- Best Overall Cat Carrier Backpack: Lollimeow Airline-Approved Pet Carrier Backpack
This is our top pick for a cat backpack and is one of the best-rated products on platforms such as Amazon and Chewy.
- Most Affordable Cat Carrier Backpack: Lollimeow Pet Rolling Cat Backpack Carrier with Wheels
If you are looking for a cat backpack that is easy on the pocket, this affordable product is exactly what you need.
- Most Innovative Cat Carrier Backpack: Texsens Innovative Traveler Bubble Backpack Pet Carrier
Thanks to a specially crafted plastic bubble, this innovative cat carrier backpack can help your cat fall in love with travel.
- Best Expandable Cat Carrier Backpack: IDEE Expandable Pet Carrier Backpack
If you are looking for a backpack that will grow with your cat, this expandable option is perfect for your feline friend.
- Most Aesthetic Cat Carrier Backpack: XZKING Cat Backpack Carrier Bubble Bag
This aesthetic cat backpack is available in a range of color options that you can choose from depending on your cat’s look.
- Best Breathable Cat Carrier Backpack: IREENUO Cat Backpack Carrier Expandable Mesh Breathable Travel Bag
If your cat has a distaste for enclosed spaces, this breathable cat carrier backpack is perfect for them to go out.
Are Cat Backpacks Cruel?
No, the cat carrier backpack is not cruel.
Cat backpacks are useful, especially for cats that love being inside one. However, it goes without saying that you will have to train your cat to get used to using a carrier.
It is a well-known fact that the cat carrier backpack is not designed to be used for a prolonged period. Just like any carrier, you need to let your cat out so it can stretch itself. Otherwise, it might end up with muscle problems and bored.
Do Cats Enjoy Cat Backpacks?
Yes, some cats do enjoy travel backpacks.
However, it completely depends on your cat’s personality overall. Some large cats might not be comfortable in a small backpack. Other cats might prefer mesh windows/mesh panels to plastic bubble windows.
Are Cat Backpacks Good for Cats?
Overall, yes, the cat carrier backpack is good.
Cat backpacks are great, especially for cats that love to travel. These days there are bags with loads of features such as chest straps, side pockets, foldable design, air holes for airflow, and breathable mesh designs. Additionally, they are washable to maintain hygiene.
Here are several benefits of using a cat carrier backpack:
- Quality Time. With a simple cat backpack, you can spend more time with your cat. This will improve your relationship with your furry friend. Most cat lovers do not like to leave their cats alone when traveling. Your cat can fulfill its curiosity to explore through the transparent window of your backpack.
- Curb your Cat’s Curiosity. These cat carrier backpacks help your cat travel and explore, something they absolutely love! Just make sure that your bag offers plenty of ventilation and is comfy for your feline friend. Additionally, these cat bubble backpacks can be great gifts for cat owners.
- Feeling Safe. These cat carrier bags can provide a sense of safety to your cat. Whether it is a small cat or a larger cat, they do feel uncertain when their owner is not around. Having a cat or dog backpack can help your pet feel more comfortable being in unknown areas. Additionally, these bags also offer benefits such as safety straps, back support, chest buckles, and ventilation holes to make the travel more comfortable.
- Outdoor Activities. You can easily indulge in outdoor activities like hiking, biking, and hands-free pet travel with the help of these backpacks. Many of these are expandable backpacks and can easily hold large cats and small dogs.
The Best Cat Backpack Carriers Reviewed
Many of the premium brands like Petsfit, Petkit, Sherpa, and Petami offer a range of backpacks and cat/dog carriers with features like mesh sides, padded shoulder straps, and tethers. To help owners find the right product, we have reviewed the best cat carrier backpack products on the market.
Summary: Thanks to pioneering innovation and an insistence on using only high-quality materials, this product sets the market benchmark when it comes to cat carrier backpacks. With a new design, the backpack provides not only a completely transparent window but also an extra front expandable part that provides more room for your pet. 9 large Ventilation Holes are placed at the front, left, and right along with ventilation nets to ensure fresh air is provided to your feline friend.
Dimensions: 13 x 14 x 16.5 inches
Weight Limit: 13 lbs
- Hands-free pet carrier
- Eye-catching clear window design
- An expandable design for more space
- Made with an anti-scratching net
- Thick padding on the back for waist support
- Can carry only smaller cats and small dogs
Review: You will want to get a cat harness as there is a strap under the pad on the bottom that comes up and connects to a harness. Most cats can fit through the small holes for petting or treats. The cat carrier backpack has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Summary: Give your pets a better outdoor experience with the help of this backpack. Your pets can enjoy the view just like you as you can carry the backpack with them in it. It features a front opening which is nice to reach in and allows you to pet your cat when they are nervous. It also ensures your pet’s safety as it has a hook to which you can attach your cat’s harness to prevent them from escaping.
Dimensions: 15.5 x 11 x 17 inches
Weight Limit: 15 lbs
- Has a roller carrier built into the backpack carrier
- Great ventilation mesh design
- Openable window design
- Comfortable, lightweight, and roomy
- Easy to carry heavy pets easily
- The wheels might get jammed at times
Review: Smooth, quiet-spinning wheels allow for easy maneuvering through airports, airplane aisles, malls, supermarkets, etc. The cat carrier backpack has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: Texsens is a brand that works to develop products with differentiated features that can bring a high-quality experience to customers. This pet carrier easily fits most cats and small/medium-sized dogs, like Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Corgi, Poodle, Schnauzer, Maltese, Papillon, Beagle, and more puppies weighing up to 15lbs. It features a removable cozy mat for easier cleaning and lets your pet enjoy it inside.
Dimensions: 15.2 x 11.4 x 16.5 inches
Material: Polyvinyl Chloride
Weight Limit: 18 pounds
- Highly durable and offers easy storage
- Scratch-resistant and sturdy for long-lasting use
- Well-ventilated design for optimal airflow
- Reduces shoulder weight with balanced shoulder straps
- Available in a variety of colors
- The mesh can get caught in your cat’s claws
Review: Easily fits cats, small dogs, and most other small/medium-sized pets. However, it is difficult to clean at times. The cat carrier backpack has an overall rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This expandable dog carrier backpack offers more space for pets to move around, reducing their anxiety during the trip. It features an extra-thick pad on the adjustable shoulder strap and back, which increases the overall comfort of the wearer. This pet travel carrier has a side and a top entrance that lets your pet stick their head out when they feel like it. Additionally, its short plush padding allows your pet to sit or sleep comfortably.
Dimensions: 25.59 x 10.24 x 11.81 inches
Weight Limit: 22 lbs
- Anti-escape metal self-locking zip
- See-through transparent PVC plate
- Nylon mesh window withstands scratches
- Durable support structure
- Has pads made of soft, short plush and fabric
- The product might have a scent while new
Review: The material is not waterproof, but the outside material is coated with oxford fabric that offers protection from water splashing. Therefore, the cat carrier backpack can be used in a gentle rain. The cat carrier has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This bubble cat carrier backpack is made with premium materials blended with excellent workmanship. The product is pet-safe, waterproof, easy to clean, and lightweight. It also features side pockets that can easily hold cat food and cat treats to make travel more exciting. It also has nine large ventilation holes on both sides that allow air to circulate through the bag. A small side door allows you to access your cat and calm them down if they feel uncomfortable.
Dimensions: 12.6 x 10.3 x 16.5 inches
Weight Limit: 13 lbs
- Best for long-distance traveling
- Made with high-quality materials
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Nine ventilation holes on both sides and front
- Compliant with most airlines as a cabin baggage
- The plastic might crack easily if not cared for
Review: This cat carrier backpack is not made for an animal over 16 lbs. It has a cute design and is loved by most pet owners with a cat. The cat carrier has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This pet backpack allows you to take your pet with you and explore the world together. Thanks to transparent windows and mesh windows, you can calm your nervous cat or dog and put their mind at ease with your voice. Additionally, the backpack comes with a mat that is able to keep your pet cool on one side and warm on another side. Under normal circumstances, it can be taken on the plane, considering different airlines have different regulations. It is not completely waterproof but is water-repellant to an extent.
Dimensions: 13.1 x 10.6 x 16.5 inches
Weight Limit: 17 lbs
- Designed with an expandable back
- Easily fits cats and most small dogs
- Well-ventilated design for optimal airflow
- Features a widened adjustable shoulder strap
- Made of high-quality polyester
- Does not have a belt clip on the sides
Review: The top ventilated mesh of the cat carrier backpack can be opened for your beloved pet to stick its head out off. The cat carrier has an overall rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
What Should I Look for in a Cat Backpack Carrier?
Before you buy a cat carrier backpack, it is best to consider the following factors in order to make the experience as comfortable for your pet:
- Material. Different backpacks are made up of a range of materials. Since you will be traveling for extended periods, it is best to choose a backpack that is made up of strong material. This will help your cat feel safe and ensure that your cat does not break away from it.
- Comfort. This is one of the key factors that you need to consider before buying a backpack, especially for long trips. If you are planning to place your cat inside one of these, it is your responsibility to buy a pack that is comfortable. We know that animals lack patience when traveling for long periods, so the backpack has to be comfortable.
- Proper Ventilation. Before you place your cat inside a backpack, make sure that they get proper ventilation. Otherwise, they can get extremely uncomfortable and even fall ill. Therefore, the backpack you choose must have a proper way to circulate air through the sitting space.
- Eye-catching Clear Window Design - Cats Love to Keep a Close Eye on Their Surroundings. Clear window makes it come true that cats are able to see everything and bring travel more fun.
- Upgrade to Expandable for Extra Room - Easily expand the bubble part to provide extra room for your pet. Much more room for larger pets. The bottom pad is also expandable, fit for both normal and expandable mode. Total dimension-Folded size 13" L x 11" W x 16.5" H. Expanded size : 13" L x 14" W x 16.5" H. Suggested Weight: 0-13lbs for small to medium cats, 0-10lbs for Dogs and puppies.
- Functional and Cool - This pet carrier is super functional and cool also well made. Made with High-Quality Pet Safe Materials, Easy Clean and Lightweight. The pocket on the other side is nice to fill in pet snacks.
How Long can Cats Stay in a Cat Backpack?
Generally, cats can stay inside a backpack for up to 6 hours. In some rare cases, they can even stay in for 8 hours at a time.
However, it is not recommended to keep your cat restricted for so long. Giving periodic breaks to stretch and explore can have several benefits and extend the time they are willing to stay inside a backpack.
If you are planning a trip with your cat, be sure to add periodic breaks in between. Let your cat out of the carrier in a safe space so that they can take a bathroom break, have water, and stretch their muscles.
How do You Acclimate a Cat to a Cat Backpack?
It is important to get your cat used to the backpack before you place them inside one. Here are the steps you need to follow for the same:
- Place the backpack in front of your cat and leave it open. Give them time to explore it inside out. You can even place treats inside so that they enter it.
- After they have explored the backpack, you can lift them and place them inside the bag with some food and treats.
- In the next step, place your cat inside the bag and close it so that they are inside it. You need to stay within sight of them so that they are not scared. Open the bag and reward them with treats if they were calm throughout.
- Repeat the steps till your cat feels comfortable sitting in the backpack.
- You can also take short trips in your car around your block so that your cat associates the backpack with travel. You can place the backpack on your car seat, so the cat has sight of what is happening outside.