What Eye Drops Can You Use on Cats?
- Best Overall Cat Eye Drops: Curicyn Eye Drops for Dogs & Cats
This gel-based eye drop formula is great at cleaning the eye and only requires one application every 2-3 days to be effective.
- Best Natural Cat Eye Drops: Dr. Goodpet Eye-C All Natural Eye Drops for Dogs & Cats
These eye drops are made with vitamin C and zinc to maintain eye health and are perfectly safe for daily use.
- Best Lubricating Cat Eye Drops: Sentrx Ocunovis BioHAnce Gel Eye Drops for Cats & Dogs
This formula is made to offer your pet eye relief by lubricating their eyelids and moisturizing the surface of the eye.
- Best Limited Ingredient Cat Eye Drops: PetSilver Eye Drops for Dogs & Cats
There are only two ingredients in this formula, and it offers cats and dogs a safe and effective treatment for eye problems.
- Most Reviewed Cat Eye Drops: Cliny Eye Cleaner Lotion Drops for Cats & Dogs
These eye drops have over 5,600 reviews which are far more than any product on this list and speak volumes about their quality.
- Our painless eye infection treatment for dogs and cats relieves irritation associated with conjunctivitis.
- This non-toxic, antibiotic-free solution is pH balanced, non-irritating and fast-acting.
- Works in 1-3 days to ease eye irritations and symptoms associated with pink eye.
What is the Difference Between Cat Eye Drops and Cat Eye Wash?
Cat eye drops are medicated solutions used to manage eye problems. They are administered with drops that are placed on the surface of the eye and are meant to help with dry eyes and provide a medicinal effect and lubrication for the eyelids. Eye drops can help clear up a bacterial infection or eye discharge, and help heal scratches on the surface of the eye.
Cat eye washes are gentle solutions for cleaning the tissues around your pet’s eye without causing further irritation. They are great for removing dirt and debris from a cat’s eyes. This helps prevent eye problems like scratched corneas or an irritated third eyelid that leads to inflammation and poor eye condition. Eyewashes can also remove tear stains caused by eye discharge or tearing.
Are Eye Drops Safe for Cats?
Yes, cat eye drops are safe.
In fact, not only are they safe, but they may also be necessary. For example, in the case of cat eye infection (conjunctivitis or pink eye), using eye drops help clear up the infection before it worsens or spreads to other cats.
Can You Buy Over-the-Counter Eye Drops for Cats?
Yes, you can buy over-the-counter cat eye drops.
However, it is important to consult with your vet before using eye drops on your cat. Different ailments require different eye medications or ophthalmic solutions, and using the wrong one can cause more harm than good.
The Best Cat Eye Drops Reviewed
Cat eye drops feature different active ingredients for different purposes. Here is an overview of some of the most popular eye drops for everyday eye care and treatment of eye issues in cats.
Summary: The active ingredient in this eye gel is 96%, purified acolyte. This provides an effective one-time application formula that can be applied every 2-3 days.
It is formulated to provide relief for pink eye symptoms in as little as 1-3 days and is safe for use on dogs, cats, and livestock. It is non-toxic, steroid-free, and pH balanced to provide your pet with the best eye care treatment possible.
Key Ingredients: Purified acolyte
- Effects can be expected in 1-3 days
- pH balanced to not harm the eye
- Made in the USA
- Safe for dogs and cats
- According to reviews, this product sometimes does not help with pink eye in dogs
Review: Many buyers were thrilled with this product. Owners of kittens, cats, and dogs all mentioned how impressed they were with these eye drops, and most of them said it only took one drop to clear up their pet’s conjunctivitis.
Critical reviews were plentiful, however, and the most common complaint was simply that this product did not work on their pet’s pink eye. They cautioned potential buyers to “just go to the vet” instead of purchasing this product.
Summary: These eye drops contain vitamin C and zinc, both of which are vital to healthy eyes. It is made to be safe for daily use and to offer relief for discomfort and minor eye irritations.
It is not tested on animals during development and is safe for both dogs and cats. This is an all-natural solution designed to maintain good eye health and prevent eye problems from developing.
Key Ingredients: Vitamins C and zinc
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Not tested on animals
- All-natural formula
- Vitamin C and zinc for eye health
- Help with irritated eyes
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Review: Most of the reviews were left by satisfied customers. These people tried the drops on themselves first and said after they had no negative effects, they used them on their dogs. They were happy with the clear liquid form of these drops and stated it was easier to use than gel formulas.
Negative reviews came from pet owners who said these drops made their pet’s eyes worse and those with pets with diabetes strongly discouraged others from purchasing this product.
Summary: This eye drop formula uses hyaluronic acid to offer a safe and effective treatment for your pet’s eyes. It has been shown in a masked clinical study to be the preferred brand over leading competitors.
The viscosity of this gel formula allows the drop to form a protective coating around the eyeball to prevent future issues. It is safe for use on both cats and dogs and is meant to treat things from inflammation and redness to infections and pink eye.
Key Ingredients: Hyaluronic acid
- Safe for dogs and cats
- Gel formula is made to spread evenly and create a protective film over the eye
- 100% naturally occurring ingredients
- Made pain-free and sting-free
- Only requires one drop per application
- Sold in a small bottle
Review: Positive reviews rave about how well this product worked on their pet’s eye infection. It was primarily dog owners who left good reviews and expressed having a good experience with this product, though.
Critical consumers were disappointed by the size of the bottle and said it was hard to squeeze. By the time they managed to get anything out of the bottle, their dog had squirmed out of their arms.
Summary: The formula in this eye wash contains only two ingredients: water and chelated silver. This offers pets a minimal formula that is effective on eye infections and safe for use on both cats and dogs.
It is made to be as sting-free as possible and requires only one drop per application to be effective. There are no artificial scents or preservatives and no alcohol in this product.
Key Ingredients: Water and chelated silver
- Sting-free formula
- Made with minimal ingredients
- No alcohol, artificial scents or perfumes, or preservatives
- Safe for both dogs and cats
- Requires only one drop per application
- The bottle can be tricky to use
Review: Most customers liked this product, and some were even surprised it worked. They liked the two-ingredient formula because they knew exactly what they were giving to their pet and said it was effective on their eye irritations.
Negative reviews only accounted for 5% of total reviews, and the only repeating complaint was that this didn’t work on their pet’s eye problems.
Summary: The boric acid in this solution helps reduce inflammation and disinfect the eye. It also contains taurine, which aid in restoring the eye after the infection has been cleared.
This cleaner contains silver ions that help to kill bacteria and panthenol to help heal wounds and soften the skin around the eye.
The solution is powerful enough to only be applied once to twice weekly but safe enough to be used on puppies, kittens, and rabbits.
Key Ingredients: Boric acid; silver ions, panthenol, taurine, and sodium chloride
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Includes taurine to help heal the eye
- Safe enough for kittens
- Only requires one or two applications per week
- Provides relief from inflammation, itching, and puffiness
- According to the reviews, the packaging may be confusing
Review: Many happy customers mentioned this product’s ability to remove tear stains and eye infections in their cats and kittens. It was effective with only one application for most of those who left positive reviews.
Those who were critical of this product were disappointed to find this is an eye cleanser, not an eye drop. Numerous people also mentioned the company had reached out to them after leaving a negative review, offering to send them gift cards in exchange for removing their reviews.
What Should I Look for in Cat Eye Drops?
When shopping for cat eye drops, consider the following factors:
- Active Ingredients. The active ingredients may vary depending on the reason for administering eye drops. An antibacterial eye drop will contain something like ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibacterial. If your cat requires an anti-inflammatory, you may want to use something with dexamethasone.
- Purpose. The cause of the eye infection will determine the type of eye drops you require. Get an eye drop to clear up the specific ailment your cat is suffering from to get the best results.
- Minimal Ingredients. When it comes to the health of your pet’s eyes, you want to use the fewest ingredients possible. The eyes are sensitive, and if an infection is present already, then introducing multiple other substances may make it worse.
Can We Use Human Eye Drops for Cats?
No, human eye drops on cats.
The only situation in which it is allowed to use human eye drops is when the vet instructs you to do so. Some human eye care products are safe. However, the vet needs to approve them.
How do I Know if My Cat Needs Eye Drops?
Talk to your vet as soon as you notice signs your cat may be developing eye problems. They will be able to run tests and diagnose and prescribe medications to treat the ailment.
Generally speaking, cats need eye drops if they suffer from things like:
How Can I Put Eye Drops in My Cat’s Eye?
To put cat eye drops correctly, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Consult with your vet to determine if your cat needs eye drops and what kind of drops, then talk with them about how to administer them.
- Wash your hands to avoid contaminating your cat’s eyes or the drops. This will also help to prevent the spread of infection.
- Clean the area of debris, tear stains, eye discharge, or anything else that is not supposed to be there. This is a good time to offer the cat treats for cooperating.
- Find a suitable place to put your cat. This can be your lap, the counter, or any place your cat will sit still and can be controlled.
- Hold the bottle with the thumb and index finger of your dominant hands and point the tip downward. Place your other hand on the cat’s head to stabilize and minimize movement.
- Hold the bottle close to the surface of the eye but do not touch the eye.
- Squeeze the bottle until the prescribed number of drops has made contact with the eye. Aim for the center of the eye and be ready for your cat to resist at this point.
It is common for cats to paw at their eye or drool after receiving the drops. If swelling or irritation persists after applying the medication, consult your vet to determine the next steps.
How Long Should I Use Eye Drops on My Cat?
It is important to use the medication for as long as prescribed. Symptoms may diminish quickly, but the infection is still present.
Using the eye drops as often as your vet recommends and for as long as they recommend is always the best course of action.
Read the label of the eye drops as well to ensure the medication you are using is safe to be used for the amount of time necessary to clear the infection.