Which Harness is Best for Cats?
- Best Overall Cat Harness: rabbitgoo Escape Proof Cat Harness and Leash
A walking vest design harness with adjustable straps and a safety buckle.
- Best Cat Harness for Safety: rabbitgoo Cat Harness and Leash Set with Reflective Strip
A harness designed with reflective strips to help watch over your cat in the darkness.
- Best Minimal Cat Harness: PetSafe Come With Me Kitty Harness and Bungee Leash
A simple cat harness with a leash and adjustable straps for maximum flexibility.
- Best Design Cat Harness: Voyager Step-in Lock All-Weather Mesh Pet Harness
A cat harness with an innovative step-in design for ease of use.
- Most Comfortable Cat Harness: Supet Cat Harness and Leash Set for Walking Cat
A harness with a halter neck design for maximum comfort while walking.
- Most Breathable Cat Harness: Heywean Cat Harness and Leash with Soft Cushioning
A harness made with ultra-light cotton material, making it breathable and airy.
- Best Small Cat/Kitten Harness: Dooradar Adjustable Cat Vest Harnesses and Leash Set
A harness with special design and sizing to fit small cats and kittens perfectly.
Is it Cruel to Harness a Cat?
No, a harness is a harmless way to ensure your cat’s safety.
When on walks, or even for indoor cats, a harness can prevent your cat from escaping or falling down. Similar to a dog harness, a cat harness is considered gentler than a cat leash or collar as it puts no pressure on your cat’s throat.
However, you must look out for the following difficulties in using a cat harness-
- Maintaining Your Grip. Maintaining the proper grip is very important. Too loose, and your large cat may run away. Too tight, and it may get uncomfortable for your cat.
- Getting Your Cat Used to the Harness. A cat is not naturally accustomed to wearing a harness, similar to small dogs. Therefore, it is likely that your cat will reject it initially. To overcome this difficulty, you need patience and train your cat well.
Do Cats Like Walking on a Harness?
Yes, cats can develop a liking for walking with a harness. However, it is important to give your cat some time to get acclimatized to the harness so they can walk comfortably.
Here are some benefits of using a harness for cats:
- Safety First. If you are walking your cat on a busy road, there is a high risk of your cat getting hurt. A harness will allow you to direct your cat safely during a walk.
- No Hunting. Even though hunting is second to nature for a cat, it may become a problem if your cat wants to hunt someone else’s beloved pet. Thus, a harness will prevent your cat from unwanted hunting or chasing during a walk.
- Preventing Escapism. This is the biggest benefit of using a harness. Walking your cat on a harness will enable you to watch over him/her and ensure they do not get lost, thus avoiding escapism efforts.
The Best Cat Harnesses Reviewed
Choosing the perfect cat harness is not an easy task – there are tons of options in the pet supplies section on Amazon and Chewy. We have made a choice easier for you with this in-depth review of the best cat harnesses.
Summary: An adjustable harness designed especially for small kittens and cats. This harness has four adjustable straps that help your cat fit perfectly. It is recommended to measure your cat carefully before you purchase it. This harness has a vest-style design for enhanced comfort of your cat and comes with a safety buckle and metal leash clip. This harness has reflective stripes, so your kitten is visible in the darkness.
Sizes: Extra small, small
Material: Polyester, Nylon
- Adjustable cat harness
- Safety buckle and reflective stripes
- Easy-to-use vest design
- Perfect for escape artists
- Available in multiple colors
- Not suitable for larger cats
Review: Based on 38,224 global ratings on Amazon, this harness has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that it is of good quality and is escape-proof.
Summary: A vest-style cat harness that comes with a leash set. The vest and harness have extra air-mesh padding and soft edges to prevent strain on your cat’s body. This vest is equipped with a fast-release buckle for emergencies. It is designed with reflective stripes on the vest for visibility in the dark.
Sizes: Small, medium, large
- Soft edges and breathable mesh padding
- Vest design with a quick-release buckle
- Leash set for extra safety and convenience
- Super comfortable and easy to wear
- Available in multiple fun colors
- Sizing might not fit all cats
Review: Based on 11,566 global ratings, this cat harness has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim it is easy to put on their cats and works well.
Summary: A 4-ft leash that comes with adjustable sternum straps. This H-style harness has two safety restraint straps at the back that prevent pressure on your cat’s neck and throat. Comes in three different sizes and seven different colors.
Sizes: Small, medium, large
- Adjustable harness for a perfect fit
- Safety restraint straps to reduce pressure
- Lightweight, breathable, and comfy design
- Comes in different colors
- Limited lifetime warranty from the brand
- There is no safety buckle for the harness
Review: Based on 9,229 global ratings, this product has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that it is great for walking their cats.
Summary: An innovative step-in design harness that eliminates the hassles of putting the harness from above your pet’s head. This harness for your feline friend has a wide vest design that divides the pressure equally to make your adventure cat feel comfortable. Comes with adjustable straps and safety D-rings at the back.
Sizes: Extra small to extra large
- Wide vest design with a step-in technique
- Creates a snug and comfortable fit
- Very easy to put on and take off
- Strong buckles and a heavy-duty D-ring
- Multiple fun color options
- Originally designed for dogs
Review: Based on 4,917 global ratings, this harness has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. Customers love the flexibility this harness provides and the durability of the material.
Summary: A halter design harness that maximizes comfort for your cat while walking. This kitten harness comes with two side buckles for safety, with D-rings attached to the leash. The fabric contains extra padding and air mesh to avoid strain on your cat as they walk.
Sizes: Small to large
- Halter design with a comfy yet snug fit
- Breathable fabric with extra padding
- Strong and reliable safety buckles
- Soft edges that do not irritate the cat’s skin
- Can be used for other small pets
- Customers have reported sizing inconsistency
Review: Based on 10,101 global ratings, this harness has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that it is easy to put on their cats and is a high-quality product.
Summary: An ultra-light cat harness made with 100% cotton for the ultimate comfort of your cats. This harness has a 360-degree back cover design that makes your cat feel protected and safe while walking. The harness has soft edges that keep any injuries at bay. The light material makes it breathable and easy to move around in.
Sizes: Small to large
- Made with a light, breathable material
- 360-degree design with soft edges
- Escape-proof and stylish cat jacket
- Widening velcro and sturdy D-rings
- Available in multiple colors and patterns
- Cotton is not stretchable and may restrict movement
Review: Based on 3,621 global ratings, this harness has an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars. Customers claim that the design makes it escape-proof and comfortable for their cats.
Summary: A vest design harness designed especially for small cats and kittens. Comes with a buckle-type closure that ensures maximum safety and sturdy D-rings that connect to a leash at the back. This harness has four adjustable buckles and two quick-release buckles to help your cat during emergencies.
Sizes: Extra small & small
- Easy and comfortable to wear
- Adjustable straps and quick-release buckles
- Vest design with soft edges
- With a reflective effect for safety
- Sturdy D-ring for the cat leash or cat collar
- The neck hole may be too small for some cats
Review: Based on 2,479 global ratings, this harness has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers state that it is good quality and works great for their cats.
What do I Look for in a Cat Harness?
Here are the main points of consideration for choosing a perfect cat harness:
- Size. Proper fit is the most important factor. You need to make sure that the cat harness has a comfortable yet snug fit on your cat’s body. Ideally, there should be a one-finger gap between your cat’s body and the harness set.
- Material. Choose breathable materials such as a mix of nylon and air mesh. These are best for cats as they love to move around. More rigid materials restrict movement and are more likely to be rejected by the cat.
- Adjustability. Your cat will grow, and its body weight will fluctuate. Therefore, an adjustable harness is the best investment. That way, you will not have to squeeze your cat’s head through the harness set every time you put it on and off.
- Design. A vest-type design or any wide design is preferable as it distributes the pressure over the cat’s body and makes it comfortable to walk in.
- Comfortable Outdoor Harness: This real comfy cat harness will snugly fit your feline friend's body, while still keeping him or her cool with its breathable air mesh. Soft and lightweight (approx. 100g), suitable for daily walking, jogging, training, and any outdoor recreations. Also a perfect comfort harness when you’re taking your kitty to an unfamiliar place, such as the vet or groomer
- Escape Proof Cat Harness: This adjustable kitty harness features 4 adjusting straps which allow a just-right fit for your flexible cat. Both sides have a sturdy safety buckle for a more secured closure - never worry about your cat getting lost during outdoor adventures (Tips: The harness should be snug enough for you to fit one finger between the straps and any part of your cat's body)
- Cat Safety Harness: You can attach the long, sturdy nylon leash to the metal leash clip on the back, allowing your kitty to explore the great nature safely and enjoyable. Its vest-style design can evenly distribute leash pressure across the chest and shoulder to prevent choking or neck strain, which is much safer and more comfortable than a basic halter or H-style harness. The reflective strips will keep your kitty always visible in dark environments
Where do I Measure My Cat for a Harness?
To measure your cat to find a harness that fits:
- Measure your cat’s chest: Use a measuring tape and measure your cat’s chest girth.
- Measure your cat’s neck: Measure your cat’s neck girth to ensure the harness’s neck is not too tight.
- Measure your cat’s arms: Some vest harnesses come with arm holes. In this case, measure your cat’s arm diameter with a measuring tape.
Correlate the measurements with the pet product’s size chart to find the best fit.
How Do You Introduce a Cat Harness?
Here are some steps you can follow to get your cat accustomed to the harness:
- Place the harness within your cat’s sight, so they get used to seeing it.
- Then start placing the harness beside them as they sleep, creating a sense of familiarity and comfort.
- Gradually, make your cat wear the harness, but without the cat leash. Give your cat treats for keeping the harness on and not trying to escape. This helps create positive associations with the harness.
- Use the harness indoors for a few days before taking your cat for a walk in it.