Best CBD Cat Treats at a Glance
- Honest Paws – Best CBD Treats for Cats
- Petly CBD – Unique Cat Food Topper
- Pet Hemp Company – Best Subscribe and Save
- JustCBD – Best Value
- CBDfx – Natural Ingredients
- cbdMD – Most Options
Table of Contents
How CBD Cat Treats Work for Cats
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is an essential and rather complex system. In spite of its complexity, the ECS has only three components – endocannabinoids, endocannabinoid receptors, and enzymes.
CBD (cannabidiol) is a cannabis plant extract that replaces the body’s cannabinoids and binds with their receptors. Through the endocannabinoid system, CBD ensures health and wellbeing.
Are CBD Treats Good for Cats?
Yes, CBD treats are good for cats since they are natural, safe, and efficient. CBD treats support physical and emotional wellness and can be used in conjunction with other treatments.
To be more accurate, the effects of CBD can be used in cats to help with plenty of ailments such as separation anxiety, skin allergies, chronic pain, mobility issues, inflammations, kidney issues, seizures, and certain forms of cancer.
However, it is imperative that you talk with your trusted veterinarian before adding CBD treats to the healthcare regimen. Also, keep in mind that CBD is not FDA-approved for use in pets, meaning not all vets are willing to discuss the topic.
The Best CBD Cat Treats
There are hundreds of CBD pet products on the market. With so many options, how can pet owners know which product is of the highest quality? To make the search simpler, we have selected and reviewed the best CBD cat treats below.
Summary: Honest Paws is a synonym for premium-quality and organic CBD. The Honest Paws CBD soft chews for cats feature high-quality, full-spectrum, Colorado-grown CBD and an extra delicious salmon flavor. They are additionally enriched with ingredients like silvervine, passionflower, and chamomile flower powder. Each treat has 2 mg of CBD.
- Made with full-spectrum hemp oil
- Human-grade, vegan, and gluten-free
- Cat-friendly flavor and texture
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Often out of stock (high demand)
Review: Pet owners say the Honest Paws CBD soft chews are “working miracles” and describe them as a “great product” their “cats love.” All in all, Honest Paws offers the best CBD treats for cats.
Summary: Petly CBD is a relatively new CBD brand with already proven qualities. The Petly CBD food topper is made with high-grade, broad-spectrum CBD oil and additionally enriched with fatty acids. The topper is powdered and with natural cat-friendly flavor. One scoop of the powder features 15 mg of CBD.
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Convenient powder form
- Natural smoked salmon flavor
- No fillers, allergens, and additives
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil formula
Review: Cat owners say the Petly CBD food topper is “very effective” and “well worth every penny.” They also say their pets “approve the product.” All in all, Petly CBD has the best CBD cat food topper.
Summary: Pet Hemp Company offers reliable and high-quality CBD pet products. The Pet Hemp Company CBD treats are made with full-spectrum hemp and non-psychoactive (completely THC-free). They are enriched with the oil of rosemary and real salmon. Each treat contains 2 mg of CBD, and there are 75 pieces in one package.
- Made with full-spectrum hemp
- No GMO, dairy, gluten, and additives
- Preserved with mixed tocopherols
- Salmon-flavored crunchy treats
- Contain potato starch
Review: Pet owners say the Pet Hemp Company “really help” and “work wells.” They describe the treats as “win-win” and a “great product.” All in all, Pet Hemp Company offers the best subscribe and save options for CBD cat treats.
Summary: JustCBD is a reputable CBD brand on the pet market. The JustCBD cat treats are made with CBD isolate. They feature cat-friendly flavors like chicken, turkey, liver, and fish. The treats are hassle-free and very easy to use. With 1 mg of CBD per treat, they are perfect for smaller cats and kittens.
- Added vitamins and minerals
- No artificial flavoring or colors
- Free from pesticides and GMOs
- Available in two different flavors
- Made with CBD isolate
Cat owners say the justCBD cat treats are “pricey,” but “cats love them” and “go crazy” for the treats. They also say the treats “seem to really help.” All in all, JustCBD offers CBD treats for cats with the best value.
Summary: CBDfx is dedicated to formulating premium-quality CBD products for humans and pets. The CBDfx CBD treats are made with broad-spectrum CBD oil and added superfoods like blueberry, sweet potato, parsley, and spinach. It also contains calming extracts and mood-boosting nutrients. The concentration of CBD per treat is 15 mg.
- With added health-boosting superfoods
- Human-grade, soy-free, and vegan
- Solvent-free and cruelty-free formula
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil formula
Review: Cat owners say the CBDfx CBD treats “work great” and “apparently taste good.” They describe the treats as “something that really works.” All in all, CBDfx has cat CBD treats with the best natural ingredients.
Summary: cbdMD creates CBD products for everyone’s needs. The cbdMD treats are made with superior broad-spectrum CBD oil. The treats come in two different concentrations (150 mg and 300 mg) and feature a delicious chicken & catnip flavor. The soft texture is perfect for the cat’s teeth.
- Rich in CBD, CBG, AND CBN
- Available in two concentrations
- Cat-friendly flavor and texture
- Third-party lab tested
- Broad-spectrum CBD formula
Review: Pet owners say the cbdMD cat soft chews are “really helpful” and cats “like them.” They mention that the treats are suitable even for “picky eaters.” All in all, cbdMD offers the most options for CBD treats for cats.
CBD Oil for Cats vs. CBD Oil Cat Treats
Liquid CBD for cats comes with a marked dropper that makes the dosing easy and precise. Plus, the CBD found in liquid versions enters the bloodstream faster, which ensures quicker effects. However, tincture forms are harder to use in cats.
Because of their delicate palate, cats are fussy eaters and can taste the difference when the meal has something that is not a regular part. Applying the oil directly in the mouth is even more challenging than sneaking a drop or two into the meal.
CBD treats in the form of soft chews are simpler to use and your kitty will feel like you are rewarding them with treats for cats because of her excellent behavior. Plus, the treats are more practical as you can use them on the go.
Treats come in various flavors like salmon and bacon flavor, so basically, there is a perfect fit for every cat’s taste. On the other hand, cat CBD treats come with a fixed amount of CBD, making the dosing a rough estimation rather than precise math.
All in all, both products have their pros and cons. The good news is, you can use them both – liquid when you need precise dosing, and faster effect and cat CBD treats or chews when you are on the go and prefer a more straightforward mode of use.
The goal is to use full-spectrum CBD products that ensure health benefits. The form is a matter of preference. You know your cat best, and you are best suited to choose the CBD product for your cat.
What to Look for in Quality CBD Cat Treats
When choosing the best CBD cat treats for your feline friend, you must never settle for anything less than a high-quality product. Here is a list of the things you should look for when shopping for the best CBD treats for cats:
- High-quality organic Ingredients. Ideally, the best CBD cat treats should come from organic, non-GMO hemp plants. When the plants are organically sourced, the end-product will be free from potentially harmful pesticides, chemicals, and other solvents. The best CBD cat treats must be grain-free and not contain animal by-products, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Type of CBD Within the Treats. There are full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate CBD treats. The best CBD cat treats must contain full-spectrum CBD. The term full-spectrum means that in addition to CBD, the treats contain minor cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. These compounds, when used together, boost each other and result in more potent effects. Broad-spectrum CBD is better than isolate CBD but less efficient than the full spectrum.
- Independently Lab Tested. CBD cat treats made of high-quality ingredients will be third-party lab tested by a third party and have declarations that confirm the third party’s results. Third-party means the declaration is issued by someone other than the manufacturer, and its results are objective.
- Flavor and texture. To increase their edibility the market offers flavored CBD pet treats that taste irresistibly. Popular tastes include salmon flavor, bacon flavor, catnip flavor, and albacore tuna flavor. Treats are also available in different textures, such as soft chews and crunchy bites. You know your pet best just choose the taste and texture your cat will love.
- Sourcing and Manufacturing. It is responsible to check whether the CBD oil treats’ manufacturing process uses cruelty-free techniques and where it is sourced and manufactured. The best CBD cat treats are ideally both sourced and made in the USA. A reputable manufacturer will also have a fair return policy.
- Price. Price is an important factor and is often a good indicator of the CBD oil treats’ quality. It does not always mean that the best CBD cat treats are the most expensive, however, the price can give you an idea of what to expect from the CBD products – make sure you are getting your money’s worth.
How Many CBD Oil Treats Should You Give Your Cat?
Cats need between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight. To make CBD use easier, one CBD treat usually contains a one-time dose.
Cats can have two to three treats per day, twelve to eight hours apart. If dealing with momentary stress, an occasional CBD treat can be enough.
However, the exact dosing should be discussed with your vet as the amount of CBD your kitty needs depends not only on its weight but also on the condition for which the CBD is recommended. The presence of co-existing health issues also influences the CBD dose for your kitty.
Another factor that can make the dosing a challenge is that not all furry friends respond equally to the same dose. Namely, a cat with severe anxiety will experience a less calming effect than a mildly moody cat.
Finally, do not forget to check the manufacturer’s dosing guidelines. Different brands feature a different amount of CBD per treat thus affecting the serving size.
Do Cats Have Adverse Reactions to CBD Cat Treats?
Yes, it is possible for some cats to develop adverse reactions to CBD treats. The most frequently reported side effects are vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, lethargy, dry mouth, lip licking, lowered blood pressure, and drowsiness.
Luckily, these issues are transient and resolve after several days. Cats are more likely to develop adverse reactions if the CBD use is started abruptly and if using high doses. Therefore, we suggest implementing the CBD gradually and starting with smaller amounts.
As for high doses, do not worry – cats cannot overdose on CBD. Worst-case scenario your feline friend will be sluggish and sleep off the effects.