CBD oil for dog anxiety promotes calmness and relaxation, thus helping pets with chronic and situational anxiety. Dog anxiety is an emotional problem in dogs that affects all dog breeds and harms overall canine well-being. Anxiety in dogs manifests in barking, howling, shivering, destructive behavior, and cowering or hiding.
CBD for dog anxiety interacts with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) to alleviate stress. CBD oil mirrors the effects of serotonin, the hormone that promotes happiness and relaxation in all mammals and bilateral animals, like worms and insects. CBD contains properties that alleviate post-traumatic stress in dogs. CBD for dogs with anxiety is able to be used alone or in combination with traditional anti-anxiety medications.
CBD supplements for anxious dogs come in different forms, with oils and treats being the most popular.
The best CBD oil for dogs with anxiety helps calm and relax uneasy dogs and has other health-boosting effects, including pain relief, inflammation control, and immunity support. There are 3 best CBD for dog anxiety, including Honest Paws, Penelope’s Bloom CBD, and Batch CBD.
1. Honest Paws
The Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites are formulated for behavioral support and dog anxiety. The treats promote calmness and relaxation and feature organic, full-spectrum CBD that is extracted with CO2 (carbon dioxide) methods.
The Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites are peanut butter flavored, soft, small, easy to chew, and suitable for dogs of all sizes. The product contains less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and is genetically modified organism (GMO) and soy-free.
The treats feature 5 mg of CBD per bite, making them simple to dose and use. The dog-friendly peanut butter flavor is a favorite among canines, making the edibles straightforward to administer, even to dogs with anxiety.
The Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites are excellent CBD supplements for managing dogs with situational and habitual stress. The treats are safe for daily use and fit for dogs of all ages.
The pros of the Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites include high-quality ingredients, full-spectrum CBD oil, easy use, and sealed packaging. The only con is the brand offers one potency option.
The Honest Paws brand recommends 1 treat (5 mg) per day for dogs less than 25 pounds need, 2 treats (10 mg) per day for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds, and 3 treats (15 mg) per day for dogs over 50 pounds of body weight.
The Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites are available at a price of $24.95.
Customers are amazed by the Honest Paws CBD Calm Bites and say that they work great at reducing stress. Pet owners are happy dogs who love the taste of the treats and eat them with ease.
“I give Calm Bites to get my Lucie through the horribly loud fireworks over the Fourth. I also give them to her when traveling in the car. She’s a terrible traveler. Ha! Much better than using prescription sedatives! They work well! I’m also impressed with the excellent service provided by Honest Paws!”
2. Penelope’s Bloom CBD
Penelope’s Bloom is a small CBD brand that cares for pets and the environment. The brand uses natural, plant-based ingredients and makes the products in the USA.
Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats are all-natural and made explicitly to handle dog anxiety and stress. The edibles feature full-spectrum hemp oil sourced from non-GMO hemp and extracted with CO2.
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats are oven-baked in small batches and available in three potency options (5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg). The treats are packed in self-sealing bags, and each bag contains 30 pieces.
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats provide anxiety relief in dogs and support natural tranquility and relaxation. The treats suit dogs of all ages and are safe to use on a daily basis.
The main pro of Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats is the full-spectrum and fast-acting formula. The number one con is the hefty price tag compared to other calming products with cannabinoids.
The Penelope’s Blood brand recommends a dosage of half a treat for dogs less than 25 pounds, one treat for dogs between 26 and 50 pounds, one and a half treats for dogs between 51 and 75 pounds, two treats for dogs between 75 and 100 pounds, and three treats for dogs over 100 pounds of body weight.
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats cost $69.99 per pack.
Pet owners say the Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats bring pets to the most mellow place and that they really work. Buyers are happy with these extra-strength CBD and recommend them to other customers.
“Switched to Penelope’s Bloom from other calming treats, and for our 202 lb. great Dane it has been unbelievable and so much better, not to mention she only gets one chew vs. the multiple chews she was taking with the other calming treats. I would definitely recommend for anyone who has the need for calming and less anxious, more relaxed pup.”
3. Batch CBD
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture is a purified hemp extract featuring three different and healthy cannabinoids: cannabidiol (CBD), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabichromene (CBC).
The cannabinoids are sourced from organic hemp grown locally in Wisconsin. The pet CBD oil is non-GMO, third-party tested, and contains less than 0.3% THC, meaning it does not make pets high.
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture comes in two dog-friendly flavors, bacon (made with bacon oil) and salmon (made with wild Alaskan salmon oil), thus being easy to give to nervous dogs with picky appetites.
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture supports overall health and promotes calmness and ease in anxious dogs. The oil is suited for dogs of all ages and is safe to use regularly.
The pros of the Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture are the non-GMO organic hemp sourcing and availability in two different flavors. The only con is the inclusion of three cannabinoids instead of a wider specter of healthy CBDs.
The Batch brand’s dosage recommendation is between 3 and 5 mg of CBD for every 10 pounds of body weight as a starting point.
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture is available at a price of $64.99.
Pet owners are happy with the Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture’s overall quality, fast shipping, and money-back guarantee. Buyers say that CBD oil makes dogs feel less stressed.
“I use this on my senior rescue dog, who is 14 and has anxiety. It really takes the edge off and allows him to relax. Just started this on my new foster, and she’s also chilling too.”
The cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil is a broad-spectrum CBD tincture designed for anxious dogs needing soothing and calming. The cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil formula contains melatonin, chamomile, and valerian root, which aids relaxation and serenity in dogs with anxiety.
The tincture is made from US-grown hemp MCT oil as a carrier. The product is blueberry flavored, making administration very straightforward.
The cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil is all-natural, vegan, and free from THC and common dog allergens. The product comes in two potency options, 250 mg and 500 mg.
The cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil is specifically formulated to support calmness and restfulness for anxious dogs. The oil is safe for daily use and is suitable to give to dogs of all ages.
The main pros of the cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil are the inclusion of calming ingredients, high-quality CBD oil, dog-friendly flavoring, and budget-friendly prices. The only cons are the broad instead of full-spectrum extract used in the formula.
The cbdMD brand recommends giving 1.0 ml of CBD oil to dogs less than 25 pounds, 1.5 ml of CBD oil to dogs between 26 and 50 pounds, 2.0 ml of CBD oil to dogs between 51 and 75 pounds, 2.5 ml of CBD oil to dogs between 76 and 100 pounds, and 3.0 ml of CBD oil a day to dogs over 101 pounds (the dosage is calculated based on the 250 mg potency bottle).
The cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil comes at an affordable price of $29.99.
Dog owners say the cbdMD Dog Calming CBD Oil works well and makes dogs noticeably calmer.” Customers highly recommend the product.
“This product has absolutely helped my pup with his fireworks and thunderstorm anxiety. His level of alarm is much, much less and once the noise stops, he settles back down pretty soon thereafter. Definitely have better results with consistency. Starting a moderate dose in 24hrs/period leading up to noise.”
5. Joy Organics
Joy Organics is a high-quality CBD brand crafting pet cannabis products with compassion, integrity, and excellence. The brand’s line of CBD pet products includes treats and oils.
The Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs features organic broad-spectrum hemp and is enriched with extra-virgin olive oil as a carrier. The pet product is completely THC-free and does not make dogs high.
The Joy Organics CBD oil comes in two potencies (450 mg and 900 mg) and is simple to dose and use. The cannabidiol oil is packed in an easy-use dropper bottle.
The Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs promotes general health and helps relieve anxiety in stressed dogs. The oil is fit to use in dogs of all ages and safe for daily dosing.
The pros of the Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs are the high quality of sourcing and extracting, the use of olive oil, and the 0.0% THC. The cons are the use of broad-spectrum extract instead of full-spectrum extract and the lack of dog-friendly flavors.
The Joy Organics brand recommends giving between 1 and 2 mg of CBD oil per 10 pounds of body weight.
The Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs comes at a price of $44.95.
Customers are amazed by the Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs and say that it is a great product at an affordable price. Dog owners report a calmer demeanor in dogs following the use of the CBD.
“This worked great for our dog! I think it worked even better for her because there was no flavor (like bacon or turkey) for her to get tired of—and it is effective and worked really quickly. She is almost 90lbs, so we were looking for something that didn’t require giving her the whole bottle before it worked. We have liked all of the CBD products we’ve gotten from Joy Organics so far, and we are adding this to the list.”
The HolistaPet CBD Calming Chews for Dogs features 100% natural ingredients and is formulated exclusively for anxiety relief.
The HolistaPet CBD Calming Chews for Dogs is a broad-spectrum CBD oil enriched with natural ingredients that promote calmness, such as chamomile and l-theanine. The CBD used in the chews is sourced from US-grown hemp.
The edible treats are peanut butter flavored, making administration simple. The chews are packaged in a jar and are available in three different strengths (5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg of CBD per treat).
The HolistaPet CBD Calming Chews for Dogs’ ingredients work together to give anxious dogs much-needed stress relief. The chews are safe for daily use, easy to chew, and fit for dogs of all ages.
The pros of the HolistaPet CBD Calming Chews for Dogs are the use of quality CBD in the recipe, availability of various strength options, peanut butter flavor, and soft consistency. The main con is the low stock, which leaves the chew unavailable on online platforms due to high demand.
The HolistaPet brand recommends giving between 0.25 mg (a regular dose) and 0.5 mg (a strong dose) of CBD per every pound of body weight.
The HolistaPet CBD Calming Chews for Dogs costs $39.95 per package.
Customers say there are visible changes in their dogs’ behavior following the use of these calming CBD treats. Pet owners highly recommend the treats to other potential buyers.
“The cookies help to relax our dog during fire works and thunderstorms.”
“Great product, experience, and fast shipping”
7. NuLeaf Naturals
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs are made with full-spectrum CBD sourced from organic hemp with supercritical CO2 methods for maximum purity.
The CBD’s effect is boosted with other calm-supporting ingredients such as l-theanine and chamomile. The total CBD amount per chew is 6 mg (4mg CBD and 2mg CBN).
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs features an apple cinnamon flavor. The treats come in a user-friendly self-sealing bag for freshness, and each packet has 30 chew pieces.
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs promote calmness and help mellow dogs with anxiety. The chews have an easy-to-eat texture and are suited to dogs of all ages.
The top pros of the NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs are the use of full-spectrum oil in the recipe, dog-friendly flavor, affordable price, and practical packaging. The only con is that the product is new and lacks significant feedback from customers.
The NuLeaf Naturals brand recommends a starting dose of one CBD chew (6mg) per 25 pounds of body weight on a daily basis or as needed.
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs comes at a price of $24.00.
The NuLeaf Naturals CBD Calming Chews for Dogs is a relatively new product on the market with few customer reviews.
“This has helped my dog with her fear of thunderstorms and fireworks immensely. No more uncontrollable shaking and panting. We love it!”
How Can CBD Oil Help Dogs with Anxiety?
CBD oil can help dogs with anxiety by mimicking the effects of serotonin, the feel-good hormone responsible for happiness and relaxation.
Pet CBD oil has potent anxiolytic and panicolytic effects. CBD oil helps manage post-traumatic stress in animals.
The properties of CBD are effective for dogs with situational and chronic anxiety. Situational anxiety occurs when the animal develops anxiety in certain conditions, like thunder, fireworks, or car trips. Dogs with chronic anxiety get much-needed rest and relaxation when treated with CBD oil.
CBD oil supports anxious dogs by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is present in all mammals and regulates many body functions, including mood and emotional health.
CBD or cannabidiol is a natural compound extracted from the Cannabis plant or, more precisely, from hemp. Cannabidiol is non-addictive, non-psychoactive, and safe, is the answer for dog owners asking, “What is CBD?”
How Does Anxiety Affect Dogs?
Anxiety affects dogs differently. Dog anxiety manifests with barking and howling, while other anxious dogs pant and pace, and some run away, cower, and hide.
Common effects of dog anxiety include inappropriate elimination (urinating and defecating inside the house by otherwise house-trained dogs), destructive behaviors, and excess vocalization (barking, whining, crying).
What is Dog Anxiety?
Dog anxiety is an “anticipation of unknown or imagined future dangers,” which results in “bodily reactions (known as physiologic reactions) that are normally associated with fear,” according to PetMD.
Anxiety in dogs typically develops after a stressful event, along with a genetic component to the nervous behavior. Certain dogs are born anxious, and particular dog breeds are prone to anxiety. These dogs include German Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, Toy Poodles, Jack Russell Terriers, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Bichon Frise, Labrador Retrievers, German Shorthaired Pointers, and Cocker Spaniels.
Anxiety is a serious issue in dogs and harms overall mental wellness. Severe dog anxiety impacts the dog’s physical and emotional health and reduces its quality of life.
What are Symptoms of Dog Anxiety?
The symptoms of dog anxiety are listed below.
- Anxious dogs are more vocal than usual and bark, howl, whine, cower, or whimper without an apparent reason.
- Pacing back and forth indicates the dog is incapable of settling down. Pacing is frustrating for the dog and the owner.
- Digging, chewing, and scratching are typical examples of destructive behavior seen with stressed and highly anxious dogs.
- Panting is defined as heavy breathing or increased respiratory rate. Panting is the result of increased activity and nervous feelings.
- Anxious dogs are prone to urinating or defecating around the house, even when successfully house-trained.
- Stressed dogs lick, bite, or chew themselves obsessively. Long-term licking, biting, and chewing results in irritation and self-inflicted injuries.
- Repetitive and compulsive behaviors, like circling and tail-chasing, are common signs of canine anxiety.
How to Diagnose Dogs’ Anxiety?
To diagnose dog anxiety, follow the steps below.
- Rule Out Physical Issues. Take the dog to the vet to rule out physical problems. Brain conditions, thyroid issues, and adrenal disease manifest with behavioral changes and must be eliminated before deciding a dog is anxious.
- Monitor the Dog. Keep a close eye on the dog and determine what makes it anxious. The trigger is easy to establish in some cases but more insidious in others. Monitor the dog or install a baby camera if spending significant time outside the house.
- Use the Lincoln Canine Anxiety Scale. The Lincoln Canine Anxiety Scale (LCAS) is an objective tool for evaluating the dog’s anxiety about a specific trigger. A Frontiers in Veterinary Science study says that “ the Lincoln Canine Anxiety Scale appears to provide a reliable method for determining anxiety and fear responses by dogs.”
What are the Causes of Dogs’ Anxiety?
The three main causes of dogs’ anxiety are fear, separation, and aging, according to the Merck Veterinary Manual.
The causes of dog anxiety are listed and reviewed below.
- Fear-Induced Anxiety: Triggers of fear-induced anxiety include strange people, loud noises, unknown environments, car rides, vet visits, etc. Fear-induced anxiety is situational, meaning it occurs in episodes.
- Separation Anxiety: Separation anxiety affects 14% of the canine population. Separation anxiety is the most common dog anxiety and manifests when a dog is separated from its favorite human.
- Age-Related Anxiety: Senior dogs develop CDS or cognitive dysfunction syndrome, which is similar to Alzheimer’s disease in humans. CDS is confusing and makes dogs feel anxious.
Can CBD Treat Dogs’ Anxiety?
Yes, CBD treats dog anxiety. CBD oil, capsules, powder, and edible chews provide significant stress relief, from separation anxiety and loud noises like fireworks and thunderstorms to vet visits and car rides.
Dogs with mild to moderate anxiety are manageable through CBD alone, while pets with severe anxiety require combining CBD for dogs for regular anti-anxiety medications.
How to Treat Dogs’ Anxiety with CBD Oil?
To treat dogs’ anxiety with CBD oil, follow the list below.
- Decide the CBD Product for the Dog. Full-spectrum CBD oils for dog anxiety are recommended. Pour the oil directly into the dog’s mouth or under the tongue, or combine it with food. The Best 7 CBD oils for dog anxiety are tested by third-party laboratories that provide Certificates of Analysis. Mix CBD powder with food, water, or full-spectrum CBD dog oil treats if the dog rejects oral oil.
- Establish the correct dosage. The recommended oral dose of CBD for dog anxiety is between 1 and 5 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. Finding the correct CBD dose takes practice. Start at the low end of the scale, with 0.1 or 0.2 mg of CBD per pound of body weight, and increase until the dog is calm and relaxed. CBD dog oil treats are easier to administer as they often feature a dog-friendly flavor. CBD treats for dogs are simple to dose; follow the guidelines on the product package.
- Administer the dosage based on the anxiety condition. Dogs suffering from chronic and habitual anxiety benefit from daily CBD supplementation. Dogs with situational anxiety must be dosed with CBD oil immediately before stressful events. CBD, given sublingually (under the tongue), takes effect in 15 minutes, while CBD dog treats take longer to digest and take effect between 30 and 45 minutes after consumption.
- Combine with traditional anti-anxiety medication. CBD for dog anxiety is safe to integrate with anti-anxiety chemical medications. For example, use CBD for animals regularly and add a mainstream anti-anxiety drug (like Prozac, Diazepam, or Xanax) in extra stressful situations.
How Much CBD Oil Can You Give to Your Dog?
The amount of CBD oil you can give to your dog is between 1 and 5 mg per 10 pounds of body weight per day.
Determine the appropriate dosage for a dog by establishing its body weight, then examine the instructions to calculate how many milligrams of CBD oil is in each drop of oil or per dropper. Potencies vary across CBD drops for dogs. Do not focus on the volume of the product. Focus on the concentration of CBD oil in each drop or dose.
Start with a small amount of CBD and assess the results after 30 minutes. Increase the dose gradually as the dog gets used to the CBD supplement.
The CBD dosage for dog anxiety is not set in stone, and finding the adequate CBD amount requires experimentation. Do not worry in case of accidental overdosing, as CBD is not toxic to dogs.
Consult a licensed veterinarian regarding the best CBD starting dose or use a CBD dosage calculator.
How to Choose the Right CBD Oil for Your Dogs?
To choose the right CBD oil for your dogs, follow the six considerations listed below.
- Choose an Oil Type. Dog CBD oils come in different forms, including full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolates. Full-spectrum is the best because it contains various cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids with entourage effects. Broad-spectrum options contain fewer cannabinoids, and isolates feature only one cannabinoid.
- Check the Hemp Sourcing. CBD products for pets must be sourced from hemp, not marijuana. Marijuana contains THC, which is toxic to pets, while hemp is very low in THC and, therefore, safe for dogs. Always check the amount of THC in the pet CBD product (concentrations less than 0.3% THC are safe for dogs).
- Read the Certificate of Analysis. The Certificate of Analysis (COA) is an official document from a third-party laboratory that tests the CBD supplement and confirms the amount of cannabinoids within the product.
- Pick a Concentration. Get a CBD oil whose potency makes dosage calculations more straightforward. For example, buy a lower potency CBD for a Chihuahua and get an extra-strength oil for a Great Dane.
- Consider the Flavor. Buy flavored CBD, especially for picky eaters. CBD is bitter and naturally repelling to dogs, and most pet CBD brands use dog-friendly flavors like chicken, beef, and bacon.
- Research the Brand. Always pick a reputable brand. Trustworthy pet CBD brands are transparent about their ingredients and manufacturing practices. Reading reviews from other customers gives a clear image of the brand’s status and the quality of its products.
Does CBD Oil Have Bad Side Effects for Dogs?
Yes, CBD oil has bad side effects for dogs. CBD oil causes dry mouth, diarrhea, and lethargy in some dogs. Vomiting, increased itchiness, low blood pressure, and inhibited liver enzymes are other potential adverse events.
Reduce the risk of negative reactions to CBD for dog anxiety by using high-quality, pure CBD products and introducing them gradually to the dog’s health regimen. The side effects of CBD to animals are temporary and disappear once the correct CBD dosage is established.
Is Continued CBD Treatment Necessary for Dogs with Anxiety?
Yes, continued CBD treatment is necessary for dogs with anxiety. CBD works best if used consistently and on a daily basis. Dogs with situational anxiety respond well when dosed with CBD on an as-needed basis before an expected stressful event.
Frontiers in Veterinary Science published a study titled “A single dose of cannabidiol (CBD) positively influences measures of stress in dogs during separation and car travel” in 2023. The study showed that a single CBD dosing has a positive impact on stress reduction in dogs with separation and car travel anxiety.
The answer is yes to the question, “Is CBD safe for animals” if used long-term? CBD is natural and safe. Pet CBD is non-addictive, and dogs do not develop dependencies on cannabinoids.
Is Dogs’ Anxiety Genetic?
Yes, dogs’ anxiety is genetic in some dogs. Scientific Reports published a study, “Prevalence, comorbidity, and breed differences in canine anxiety in 13,700 Finnish pet dogs,” 2020.
The study showed that noise sensitivity is most frequent in Lagotto Romagnolos, Wheaten Terriers, and mixed breed dogs, while Spanish Water dogs, Shetland dogs, and mixed breeds are most likely to be fearful in general.
The study’s authors say that the “results suggest a genetic component” to specific anxieties.
What are the Other Health Conditions that CBD is helpful for Dogs?
The other health conditions for which CBD is helpful for dogs are listed below.
- CBD for Seizures in Dogs: CBD has anti-seizure and anti-convulsive features. Cannabinoids help reduce the frequency, intensity, and duration of seizures in dogs. Seizures are a sign of epilepsy, which in dogs is mostly idiopathic (of unknown origin).
- CBD for IVDD Dogs: CBD reduces inflammation and pain, thus helping dogs with intervertebral disc disease (IVDD). IVDD is a common spinal issue, especially in chondrodystrophic breeds.
- CBD for Dogs with Arthritis: CBD’s anti-inflammatory and anti-pain effects are beneficial for dogs with arthritis. Arthritis is a progressive and inflammatory condition affecting the dog’s joints and is typically associated with old age.
- CBD for Allergic Dogs: CBD helps allergic dogs by modulating the immune system and its reaction to allergens. CBD supports skin and coat health, which strengthens the barrier and is beneficial for dogs with atopic dermatitis. CBD reduces pruritus (itchiness), the main symptom of allergies in dogs.
- CBD for Hyperactive Dogs: CBD helps calm down hyperactive dogs. Cannabidiol promotes relaxation and balances the brain’s chemicals, thus reducing the excess energy of hyper dogs.
- CBD for Dogs with Cancer: CBD supports the apoptosis of cancerous cells while preventing tumors from growing and spreading. Cannabidiol is used in combination with traditional anti-cancer treatments to boost their effectiveness and reduce the risk of side effects.
CBD or cannabidiol supports dogs with seizures. Dog seizures are “a temporary involuntary disturbance of normal brain function that is usually accompanied by uncontrollable muscle activity,” according to VCA Animal Hospitals.
Studies have shown CBD reduces the number of seizures in dogs, the inflammation in brain tissue, and has an anti-convulsant effect. Frontiers in Veterinary Science released a trial study, “Safety and efficacy of cannabidiol-cannabidiolic acid-rich hemp extract in the treatment of refractory epileptic seizures in dogs,” in 2022. The study showed that CBD reduces seizure frequency.
Traditional treatments for dogs with seizures are anti-convulsant or anti-seizure medications (ASMs). ASMs include phenobarbital, potassium bromide, levetiracetam, zonisamide, and diazepam. Veterinary ASMs are based on human ASMs, and dogs develop a tolerance with prolonged use. Studies have shown it is safe to combine CBD with ASMs with the potential to reduce the ASM dose.
CBD for dog seizures is safe, has fewer side effects, does not build tolerance during long-term use, and is efficient in decreasing both the frequency and intensity of seizures. Full spectrum CBD oil doses for dogs with seizures start between 2 and 8 mg of CBD oil per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight twice daily, according to studies on dogs with seizures.
CBD help hyperactive dogs. A hyper dog is a dog that displays frenetic activity, abnormally short attention spans, and high impulsiveness, according to Whole Dog Journal. Some hyperactive dogs demonstrate overbearing attention-seeking behavior.
Hyperactivity is connected to sugar-laden foods and glucose spikes. Dog CBD regulates glucose metabolism, thus preventing sudden energy boosts that fuel frenzied activity in dogs. The effect of CBD on glucose is shown in a study, “Cannabidiol attenuates OGD/R-induced damage by enhancing mitochondrial bioenergetics and modulating glucose metabolism via a pentose-phosphate pathway in hippocampal neurons,” published in 2017.
Traditional medication for hyperactive dogs includes Methylphenidate (Ritalin) or dextroamphetamine. Hyperactive dogs respond to a CBD dose of between 1 and 5 mg per pound of body weight.
CBD’s positive health effect against dogs with seizures is stronger than CBD for hyperactive dogs because studies demonstrate CBD’s efficacy in reducing seizures in dogs. Combining CBD and ASMs is able to reduce the dosage of tolerance-building and stomach-harming ASMs that seizure-prone dogs must consume.