Dog owners are looking for natural and alternative ways to assist their pets and support their health. Even if your dog struggles with a chronic condition like Arthritis, natural products like CBD dog treats for arthritis can support joint mobility and flexibility.
In fact, by adding cannabinoids to your dog’s body, the effects of NSAIDs and Opioids can be more effective in controlling pain and inflammation.
Hemp-derived, full-spectrum CBD oil is becoming famous for its ability to bring calm and help with discomfort, stiffness, and soreness. A clinical efficiency study of CBD for dogs with Osteoarthritis found that their Canine Brief Pain Inventory (CBPI) test on canines showed that “CBD oil increases comfort and activity in the domestic environment for dogs with OA.”
This article takes a closer look at Arthritis and how CBD dog treats can help your dog’s joint pain and mobility levels. Playing with your dog may be something that you can look forward to again.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a commonly occurring chronic condition in humans and animals alike. Dogs are prone to this degenerative joint disease due to their high level of daily activity. To understand how Arthritis develops, you need to know the purpose that cartilage plays.
Cartilage is a flexible fibrous tissue. In joints, cartilage covers the end of bone surfaces so that the connection points of bones can operate smoothly. The partnership of cartilage and joint fluid (synovial fluid) allows for smooth movement and shock absorption during impact activities like running and jumping.
Arthritis is characterized by irregular changes in one’s joints, resulting in pain and limitations of joint mobility. In dogs, the commonly affected joints are the hips, knees, shoulders, and elbows. However, Arthritis can affect any joint in the body.
Types of Arthritis
- Degenerative Joint Disease (Osteoarthritis) is the most common form of Arthritis, with pain as the number one area of concern. It is a slowly progressing disease where the cartilage breaks down, and the bone grows or becomes thicker (hypertrophy) at the edges. The condition of the joint will get increasingly worse with daily activity or obesity.
- Inflammatory Joint Disease is another form of Arthritis caused by an infection or autoimmune disease called Rheumatoid arthritis. In this disease, blood cell antibodies attack healthy cells around the joint tissues and eventually damage healthy bone and cartilage.
Signs of Arthritis in Dogs
Pain is a tricky symptom to identify in pets. Discomfort can bring on some behavioral changes that owners easily overlook. Cats are incredibly crafty at hiding their discomfort.
Unfortunately, this means that vets often diagnose Arthritis when it has escalated to the point of extreme agony. It’s important to identify even the most minor changes in your pup.
Look out for these signs of pain associated with Arthritis:
- Weight gain due to inactivity
- Disinterest in exercise or daily activities
- Depression and behavioral changes
- Limping, avoiding placing pressure on one or another limb
- Sensitive to the touch
- Difficulty climbing stairs and jumping
- Stiffness when getting up
- Reluctance to jump onto your lap, or come when you call them
- Swollen joints
Several signs of Arthritis in dogs are non-specific and could be a sign of a different underlying condition. If you suspect that your fur child has joint mobility issues, then schedule an appointment with your vet.
They will be able to properly diagnose your dog and send them for x-rays that will assist in identifying inherent diseases associated with Arthritis, such as hip dysplasia.
How to Help Dogs with Arthritis
Sadly, Arthritis is a progressive disease, and damaged cartilage cannot be fixed. However, vets and pet parents can take some measures to slow the escalating damage. Management of pain, inflammation, and joint support are crucial in keeping your dog comfortable and mobile.
Here are some ways to help your arthritic pup:
Involve Your Vet
CBD products are available without a prescription. However, if your pet is already on some pretty strong medication, then it’s best to consult with your vet about adding CBD dog treats to their pillbox. As with any supplements or natural products, CBD can interfere with the metabolism of drugs that your dog may need for its condition.
Wholesome Plants and Foods
- CBD hemp oil supports a healthy inflammatory response, has a calming effect on anxious dogs, and may assist with occasional discomfort.
- Leafy green vegetables contain antioxidants that keep inflammation in check.
- Turmeric root has many benefits, including being support for joint health.
- Hemp seed powder or hemp seed oil contains Gamma-linoleic acid (GLA), which has been shown to reduce inflammation. The omega fatty acids will also make their skin and coat look healthier than ever.
- Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, analgesic (pain reducing), and antipyretic (fever-reducing) activities.
- And more
Avoid giving your arthritic dog processed meat, cheeses, refined grains, and polyunsaturated oils like soybean, corn oil, or sunflower oil.
Inactive dogs can gain weight or develop muscle atrophy. Movement is medicine! Keeping your pet active, even for a few minutes a day, will strengthen their muscles and help slow down Arthritis development.
Hydrotherapy is an excellent form of rehabilitation and exercise that is gentle on sore joints. The warm water and reduced contact are kind to joint pain and inflammation.
You can introduce gentle exercises at home with an interactive puzzle toy or taking your pet for a short walk around the garden. A hide-and-seek game with treats is good for mental stimulation, but it can also burn a few calories. Avoid high impact or sudden movements like running or jumping that can cause further injuries.
Weight management is an integral part of caring for a dog with Arthritis. If your dog is already a roly-poly pet, put them on a diet, increase their low-impact exercise, and speak to a veterinary dietician.
Managing your dog’s food intake is essential when activity has decreased due to joint mobility limitations. When your dog drops the pounds, the pressure on their dog’s joints will also drop.
Benefits of CBD Treats for Dogs
Brightfield Group research has found that 84.8% of pet parents are interested in CBD edibles for their pets compared to only 43.2% keen on CBD hemp oil.
This is largely because CBD dog treats are easier to give to your pet. You can pop their daily dose into your bag if you’re out for the day and offer it to them with minimal effort. CBD absorbed through the stomach will take effect within 45-90 minutes, which is slightly slower than sublingual (under the tongue) administration of CBD oil.
However, the convenience of edibles, and the level of enjoyment in dogs when they receive a treat, is worth the wait. Once CBD edibles take effect, they are just as impactful as CBD hemp oil.
Full-spectrum CBD oil treats have the following benefits for dogs with Arthritis:
- CBD dog treats may block pain associated with Arthritis and inhibit the development of discomfort and nerve damage in affected joints.
- For dogs who experience anxiety due to their condition, CBD dog treats may help animals maintain a regular and relaxed disposition.
- CBD oil supports immune system function and overall wellness.
- After low-impact exercise, CBD dog treats may help with joint stiffness and soreness.
- And much more.
CBD Treats for Dogs with Arthritis
Many CBD brands, like Honest Paws, add tasty and organic ingredients to create the best CBD dog treats. From pumpkin spice, cinnamon flavor, organic turmeric, peanut butter, or delicious chicken, pet CBD treats are designed with furbabies in mind and cater to their unique taste palates.
However, not all CBD products are top-quality. Take a close look at that ingredient list. Ideally, you want to find a CBD dog treat that is non-GMO and contains no dairy, no gluten, no soy, and excludes other irritants (Honest Paws ticks all those boxes). Natural ingredients that are kind to your fur baby’s digestive system are a huge plus.
Potency and Dosage
CBD dog treats are easier to measure out than CBD oils when it comes to CBD dosage. A pet hemp company should typically offer dosage guidelines with their CBD products. A general guideline is to fall within the range of 1-5 mg of CBD per 10lbs of body weight.
Each of the Honest Paws bites and soft chews has 5 mg of CBD per treat. Dosage instructions are as follows:
- Dogs less than 25 lbs: 1 x 5mg treat per day
- 25-50 lbs: 2 x 5mg treats per day
- Over 50 lbs: 3 x 5mg soft chews per day.
Dogs with Arthritis and daily discomfort may benefit from a higher dose or potency of CBD.
Best CBD Treats for Dogs with Arthritis
Finding the best CBD dog treats for Arthritis can be challenging. While shopping online, it’s easy to do some digging into the pet hemp company that you’re interested in. Customer reviews and customer ratings help find a genuine, organic brand that offers high-quality products.
Choose Safe CBD Products
To be confident that your pet is getting CBD safe for dogs, you want to give your dog CBD sourced from hemp plants. Hemp and marijuana cannabis plants both contain CBD and THC (the mind-altering plant compound).
However, for a hemp plant to remain legal and for CBD products to be safe for dogs, they need to contain less than 0.3% THC. A Certificate of Analysis will confirm the irrelevant presence of THC and the exclusion of other harmless chemicals or pesticides due to inorganic farming techniques.
Natural Ingredients for Joint Support
Several natural supplements can offer joint support for your pet. Honest Paws has added some of these natural ingredients to their products to bring you the best possible CBD treats for Arthritis and joint support.
- Hyaluronic Acid is a supplement for healthy cartilage function.
- Glucosamine HCL supports cartilage structure and may provide mild anti-inflammatory effects.
- Organic Oats are a good source of dietary fiber, but it also offers bioactive phytochemicals with strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Organic Turmeric supports a healthy inflammatory response and can provide relief from discomfort.
- Chondroitin Sulfate inhibits destructive enzymes in joint fluid and cartilage.
- Boswellia Serrata Powder is a unique supplement that provides joint support from occasional discomfort from daily activity.
The Best Treats for Your Dog’s Mobility Care
Honest Paws has created a range of products that target some of the primary needs that pet parents want to support in their pets: Wellness, Calm, and Mobility. All of these products will be great for your arthritic hound.
Still, with the addition of the above-mentioned ingredients that assist canine arthritis patients, their condition will be supported when using the Mobility or Relief range.
If you’re looking for a CBD treat that will enhance your pet’s joint health so that they can move about more freely, then the Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews with Glucosamine and ChondroitinSulfate will be a great addition to their mobility care.
Caring for your pet is a journey, and we hope that by adding these high-quality CBD treats to their diet, you can hit the road with your furry friend again soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do CBD dog treats help with pain?
CBD dog treats may block pain associated with Arthritis and inhibit the development of discomfort and nerve damage in affected joints.
What is the best CBD treat for dogs?
If you’re looking for a CBD treat that will enhance your pet’s joint health so that they can move about more freely, then the Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews will suit their needs.
How long does it take for CBD dog treats to kick in?
CBD absorbed through the stomach will take effect within 45-90 minutes, which is slightly slower than sublingual (under the tongue) administration of CBD oil.