Table of Contents
Best CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain Summary
- Best CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain: Honest Paws
High-quality, tasty, and health-boosting CBD dog treats for joint pain.
- Highest Potency CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain: Penelope’s Bloom
CBD dog treats for joint pain with high potency for large and giant pups.
- Best Price CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain: CBDistillery
Palatable and easy-to-use CBD dog treats for joint pain with broad-spectrum.
- Best Broad Spectrum CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain: CBDfx
Broad-spectrum CBD dog treats for joint pain that are safe and efficient.
- Best Value CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain: Charlotte’s Web
Chicken-flavored and full-spectrum CBD dog treats for joint pain.
- This bacon popcorn flavored Honest Paws Joint Powder uses a blend of ingredients that focus on all-encompassing joint health and support.
- It works to maintain joint mobility, improve cartilage development, and enhance overall bone and joint health.
- Green lipped mussel extract contains a nutrient-rich blend of natural proteins, minerals and omega fatty acids.
Do CBD Treats Help Dogs With Joint Pain?
Yes, CBD dog treats for joint pain and arthritis work. In fact, CBD (cannabidiol) works through the endocannabinoid system (ECS), thus managing the two main aspects of osteoarthritis, pain, and inflammation. Therefore, CBD dog treats for joint pain make an excellent addition to mobility care for arthritic dogs.
However, keep in mind that CBD is not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for use in veterinary medicine, and veterinarians cannot prescribe it as an official medication or supplement. On the other hand, early research from the Colorado State University shows that “CBD is a well-tolerated supplement.” The American Veterinary Medical Association agrees there is a gap between the legal aspect of CBD products and the growing evidence favoring their benefits.
Therefore, if you want CBD dog treats for joint pain, find a holistic vet and ask for general guidelines. CBD treats are a natural, holistic remedy. The best thing about such natural treatment options is the low risk of negative side effects. Plus, CBD treats will boost your dog’s overall wellness in addition to supporting its joints.
Best CBD Dog Treats For Joint Pain
With so many CBD dog treats for joint pain (different flavors, textures, and potencies), finding the right choice for your dog can be overwhelming. Since we want pet owners to spend more time with their canines, we have thoroughly researched the pet CBD market, selected and reviewed the best CBD dog treats for joint pain.
Summary: As a CBD company, Honest Paws is the definition of quality and high standards. All Honest Paws products are made with the best CBD oil, and check all boxes for quality, safety, and efficacy. For maximum efficiency, Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews are made with Organic Full Spectrum Hemp Oil, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine HCL, Hyaluronic Acid, and Boswellia Serrata Powder. With 5 mg of CBD per treat, these chews are safe for puppies, adult dogs, and seniors and suitable for long-term use. Plus, they are GMO-free, vegan, and human-grade.
- Made for joint pain and inflammation
- With full spectrum CBD oil and organic ingredients
- Poultry-flavored and soft textured
- Third-party lab tested
- Sometimes out of stock due to high demand
Review: Pet parents say their dogs have “no trouble with the steps” and are “going for longer walks” after starting to use the CBD treats. They also mention praises like “noticeable results” and “works wonders.” All in all, Honest Paws is the best CBD dog treats for joint pain.
Summary: Penelope’s Bloom is a CBD company that makes vegan, human-grade, and cruelty-free pet CBD products. They offer CBD oils, treats, and balms. The Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats feature a pet-approved sweet potato flavor and added health-boosting nutrients. Because of the high concentration of powerful ingredients (10 mg of CBD per treat), they are a good option for large and giant dogs.
- Fast-acting and with full spectrum CBD
- With turmeric root and Boswellia
- Oven-baked, nicely textured, and delicious
- Third-party lab tested
- Often unavailable due to low stock
Review: Pet parents say their “dogs love them,” although they are “picky eaters.” Some customers have mentioned “what a difference” and “very effective” in the product’s reviews. All in all, Penelope’s Bloom has the highest potency CBD dog treats for joint pain.
Summary: CBDistillery is a CBD brand that makes high-quality products using non-GMO industrial hemp grown with sustainable farming methods. The Zesty Paws CBD Mobility Bites include broad spectrum CBD oil and active ingredients that support joint health. Each bite contains 5 mg of CBD oil and a roast beef flavor. They are quite affordable and the best option for pet owners on a budget.
- Added joint-friendly ingredients
- No grain, corn, or soy derivatives
- Convenient resealable bag
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Limited CBD product selection
- With broad-spectrum CBD oil
Review: Pet parents say they “love the scheduled shipments” and their “dogs love the beef.” They mention their dogs are “walking better up and down stairs” after starting to use the tasty treats. All in all, CBDistillery offers the best price for CBD dog treats for joint pain.
Summary: CBDfx is a CBD brand offering high-quality products made of high-grade, broad-spectrum hemp CBD. The CBDfx Joint & Mobility treats are made with joint-friendly turmeric and a healthy blend of spinach, blueberries, and parsley. With 15 mg of CBD per treat, they are potent and suited for larger dogs.
- Rich in several superfoods
- Human-grade, soy-free, and vegan
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- USA made with verified potency
- With broad-spectrum CBD oil
Review: Pet parents say the treats are a “great product” and their dogs “love the taste”. They mention that their “senior dogs are much happier” after using these treats. All in all, CBDfx offers the best broad-spectrum CBD dog treats for joint pain.
Summary: Charlotte’s Web is a CBD brand with a mission which is to bring high-quality and plant-based cannabinoids closer to users. The company offers an array of CBD products for people and pets. The Charlotte’s Web CBD Hip and Joint Chews are made with CBD, glucosamine, chondroitin, and turmeric. They have a chicken flavor and feature 2.5 mg of CBD oil per treat, thus being the best option for smaller and medium dogs.
- With full spectrum CBD oil
- Support healthy joints and flexibility
- No GMOs, harsh chemicals, and pesticides
- Suitable for dogs of all life stages
- Free shipping for orders over $74
Review: Pet parents say the treats “put some pep in the step of my senior pup” and their dogs “jump of joy” when served with the chews. The treats “work great” and achieve a “noticeable difference.” All in all, Charlotte’s Web offers the best value CBD dog treats for joint pain.
What are the Benefits of CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain?
CBD dog treats can benefit dogs with joint pain or arthritis on various levels, including CBD’s ability to support joint health and manage problems stems from its anti-inflammatory effects, pain-relieving powers, and anxiolytic properties. Below is a more detailed review of the potential benefits of CBD treats for dogs:
- Anti inflammatory benefits. Scientific research refers to cannabidiol as a novel anti-inflammatory medication. Reducing inflammation is the essence of managing arthritis as the inflammatory processes are the initial factor fueling joint problems and causing mobility issues.
- Pain-relieving powers. Numerous studies show that CBD provides pain relief which is another critical arthritis component. Dogs receiving CBD experience lesser arthritis symptoms like chronic pain, joint stiffness, and limited mobility. Even topical CBD application over the painful joint can provide satisfactory pain management.
- Anxiolytic properties. Chronic pain is linked to anxiety which has an adverse effect on overall health (physical and mental). Scientific studies show that CBD has an accented anxiolytic effect, thus offering anxiety management.
Finally, in this case, the main reason for using CBD treats for joint pain is discomfort relief. However, CBD is more than an effective treatment for joint pain as it also supports the dog’s overall health and wellbeing. Namely, CBD dog treats for joint pain also boost the dog’s immune system, support healthy sleep and appetite, and improve the dog’s mood.
Differences Between CBD Dog Treats & CBD Oil for Dogs
The main difference between CBD treats and CBD oils is their form. Around 60% of dog owners prefer using CBD pet treats over CBD oil. The reason is practicality since giving your pet tasty treats is way more effortless than putting a dropper inside its mouth. CBD treats are also a good idea when on the go.
Plus, CBD dog treats often contain other natural ingredients like turmeric root, sweet potato, cinnamon, blueberries, Boswellia serrata, hemp seed powder, or coconut oil with anti-inflammatory features. CBD treats explicitly made for managing joint pain are also enriched with chemical compounds that ensure proper joint support like chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine HCL, hyaluronic acid, omega fatty acids.
On the other hand, CBD oil has a faster onset and is more cost-effective, especially for large dogs. CBD oil is available in various potencies and can make CBD dosage calculations more straightforward. CBD oil can be used alone, mixed with the dog’s food, or baked into homemade pet CBD treats.
Bottom line, there is no need to choose or use one CBD product strictly. You can always combine both CBD supplements – convenient CBD dog chews when on the go and fast-acting CBD oil when your dog feels cooperative.
How Long does it Take for CBD Treats to Work for Joint Pain in Dogs?
CBD dog treats for joint pain usually need between 45 and 90 minutes to start working and provide pain relief in arthritic dogs. As a general rule, dog CBD treats work a little slower than the sublingual administration of pure CBD oil. However, the exact timeframe CBD dog treats for joint pain needs to yield effects vary based on the dog’s body weight and the severity of the joint problems.
For example, Great Danes are larger than Labradors and therefore would require higher doses, but the type of joint health issues matters too. Namely, an old Lab with mild arthritic changes on one joint may experience quicker pain relief despite receiving smaller amounts of CBD than a Great Dane puppy with severe and advanced elbow and hip dysplasia.
As for the dosage itself, dogs generally need between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight (check this CBD dose calculator to determine how much your dog needs). Do not worry if you accidentally gave your dog too much CBD. The good news is that dogs cannot overdose on pet CBD products.
In a 2018 clinical study at Cornell University, “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs,” it was determined that 2 mg of CBD per kilogram (0.9 mg per pound) twice daily increase mobility and comfort in arthritic dogs.
How to Shop for CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain?
With CBD manufacturers and new products popping up every day, the best way of purchasing the right CBD treats for your dog is to know what to look for. Here is a short overview of the characteristics of high-quality CBD dog treats for joint pain:
- Full-Spectrum CBD. Full-spectrum hemp oil is stronger than broad-spectrum CBD oil or CBD isolate products. Full-spectrum hemp contains whole-plant cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. Always choose CBD treats made with full-spectrum CBD pet oils.
- CBD Hemp Oil. Hemp seed oil is a seed extract and does not contain health-boosting cannabinoids. CBDs are found in hemp oil made from the whole plant, not just the hemp seeds. The treats must be made with whole hemp plant extracts.
- THC-Free Hemp Oil. CBD products for pets are made from the hemp plant and contain less than 0.3% THC. On the other hand, marijuana is high in THC and therefore toxic to pets. The CBD treats for your dog must be made from hemp extract and not marijuana.
- Organic and Made in the USA. A high-quality CBD is made from organically grown hemp plants in the USA. All ingredients in the CBD pet treats must be natural. The CBD treats must be non-GMO and free of potential allergens like soy, dairy, corn, and gluten-free.
- CO2 Extraction Method. Ensure the manufacturer has used CO2 extraction methods. The method results in maximum purity and the highest quality CBD pet products.
- A Certificate of Analysis. A Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a third-party lab document verifying the potency of the cannabinoids, the THC percentage, and the exclusion of harmful chemicals like pesticides or heavy metals.
- Reputable CBD Brands. A trustworthy CBD company will stand out above the others with its high number of reviews and good standing with the Better Business Bureau. It will also have customer-friendly offers like discounts, free shipping, money-back guarantees, 24/7 support for pet parents, etc.
Finally, you can bake homemade CBD treats using high-quality CBD oil. However, keep in mind that the baking heat can deactivate even the best CBD oil. Also, when cooking with CBD oil, dosage calculations can be tricky due to the uneven distribution of the oil within the baking mixture.
Dog Joint Pain: Signs & Symptoms
From the day they are born, dogs are rambunctious, they fetch toys, chase balls, and bounce around the yard. Sadly, their joints take a beating from all the use, and for many dogs, joint pain is part of growing old.
Being a responsible dog owner means understanding the common threats for your dogs so you can expect them and, if possible, avoid them. To understand the importance of early management, we will give a short lesson on joint pain.
Causes of Joint Pain in Dogs
Joint pain in dogs is a complex issue and can be triggered by several culprits. Here is a short review of the most common causes of joint pain in dogs:
- Trauma. Traumatic injuries can affect dogs of all ages. Dislocation or fracturing of the ankle or any other joint can happen when a car hits a pet or suffers a sporting injury. Joint trauma can trigger immediate joint inflammation and contribute to dysfunctions later in life.
- Hereditary Disorders. Several congenital disorders cause joint problems in young puppies. For example,
- Elbow or Hip Dysplasia can present in dogs less than a year old. It’s defined as abnormal development of the elbow joint in young, rapidly growing dogs. Stress on the joints leads to osteoarthritis of the elbow.
- Kneecap Displacement can also occur in any age dog and is defined by a deformity of the hindlimb, hip joint, femur, and tibia, later leading to cartilage injuries in the knee.
- Aseptic Necrosis of the Femoral Head is common in young miniature and small breeds characterized by a short blood supply to the bones. This is usually a breed malfunction.
- Osteochondrosis is a bone malformation and cartilage problem in rapidly growing dogs. It contributes greatly to degenerative arthritis. Factors that cause it can be generic, although hormonal factors, lack of blood flow, trauma, or poor diet can also cause it.
- Infections. Septic arthritis involves bacteria spreading through the blood. It can be caused by trauma or surgery. Lyme (tick bite) disease or Rickettsia are among the infectious diseases that can cause joint pain.
- Degenerative Joint Disease. Secondary osteoarthritis is a vast topic, but these degenerative issues are often caused by years of damage to a joint due to one of the aforementioned conditions. Other causes could be immune disorders or a cruciate ligament tear and the joints’ subsequent degeneration.
Signs Your Dog is Experiencing Joint Pain
Joint mobility is something we can take for granted until it’s a reality. Here are some common signs of joint paint to look out for in your dog:
- Hesitation to move, jump, run, etc.
- Limping, initially slight but may be more evident when they’re tired.
- Weird stance caused by backache, inflammation, and spinal pain.
- Lethargy and a habit of sleeping longer to avoid movement.
- Behavioral changes, depression, or aggression as a response to pain.
- Constant licking or gnawing on tender areas to try to relieve pain.
Take your dog to the vet if you suspect that it may be in pain. The veterinarian can run tests and examine your dog to find the source of their problem. Early arthritis and joint pain diagnosis mean successful mobility care and pain management.
How to Monitor Your Dog’s Joint Mobility?
CBD dog treats for joint pain are excellent for supporting joint health and mobility in dogs. In fact, the list of potential benefits of CBD oils and treats for dogs with joint issues is long. The best benefits of CBD treats can be summarized in three words – efficacy, safety, and ease of use.
However, there are other ways you can help your arthritic dog on a multimodal approach. Below is a list of the things and approaches you can use in combination with the CBD dog treats for joint pain:
- Weight Management. Keeping a lean body. Excess weight will put extra pressure on the joints. Make sure your dog eats a complete and nutritionally balanced diet rich in proteins, fatty acids, dietary fiber, vitamin E, B, A, and C, minerals, and other essential nutrients.
- Physical Therapy. Physical therapy can help dogs with painful joints. There are various options, but swimming and underwater treadmills are the best way of keeping your dog active. Hydrotherapy supports the joints and promotes a healthy weight without putting too much pressure on the arthritic joints.
- Other Joint Supplements. There are many supplements with active ingredients that repair cartilage and ensure overall support of the joints. We recommend the Honest Paws Mobility Powder, which contains several compounds like Green Lipped mussels, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, fish oil, hyaluronic acid, MS, etc. The powder has a dog-friendly, bacon-popcorn flavor and is easy to use.
- Prescription Medications. More severe cases require anti-pain medications. The most frequently used meds are of the non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs class. If your dog needs such meds, you need to talk to your vet and get a prescription (never self-medicate your dog).