It is heartbreaking when your dog’s joints start to strain, and each movement becomes more labored than the next.
But what if we told you that CBD hemp extract might help discomfort associated with normal daily exercise and activity? And with muscle recovery, tissue support, and joint mobility.
Do CBD Treats Help Dogs With Joint Pain?
Yes, CBD treats help dogs with joint pain the same way as CBD oils do. Namely, CBD (cannabidiol) works through the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a regulatory system responsible for harmonious body functioning and promoting homeostasis.
The ECS manages various vital functions, including pain and inflammation. Considering they are both associated with arthritis, it is logical to assume that CBD can help dogs with joint pain.
Best CBD Dog Treats For Joint Pain
Honest Paws has taken organic ingredients and created CBD products to assist your pet in their mobility care.
These Mobility Soft Chews combine high-quality, Colorado-grown hemp and other natural ingredients to improve joint mobility and reduce arthritis pain. Let’s take a closer look at each ingredient:
- Organic full-spectrum hemp oil – this ingredient is safe for dogs and supports the canine body in numerous ways, including enhancing joint flexibility and mobility.
- Chondroitin sulfate – a naturally sourced compound (from marine animals) that protects the connective tissues (such as cartilage) from cartilage-damaging enzymes.
- Glucosamine HCL – sourced from shrimp and crab, glucosamine HCI helps support healthy bone function and mobility by providing normal joint cushioning.
- Hyaluronic acid – helps with cartilage function by attracting water from surrounding tissues and healing wounds.
- Boswellia serrata powder – is a herbal extract taken from the Boswellia Serrata tree that promotes a healthy inflammatory response, joint health, and mobility.
As you can see, Honest Paws uses only the best CBD oil that is safe for dogs and sourced in the United States. All of our CBD dog treats are non-GMO and contain no gluten, no dairy, no soy, or other contaminants. In simpler terms, our Mobility CBD dog treats check all boxes for quality, safety, and efficacy.
What are the Benefits of CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain?
Studies refer to CBD as a novel anti-inflammatory drug. Managing inflammation is the essence of managing arthritis as the inflammatory processes fuel joint destruction.
Additionally, studies show that CBD provides pain relief which is another critical arthritis component. Dogs receiving CBD experience lesser arthritis symptoms like joint stiffness and limited mobility. Even topical CBD application over the painful joint can ease the discomfort.
Differences Between CBD Dog Treats & CBD Oil for Dogs
Over half of dog owners (around 60%) prefer using CBD pet treats over CBD oil. The main reason is practicality – giving your dog a tasty treat is much more effortless than putting a dropper inside its mouth. CBD treats can also be used on the go.
Plus, CBD dog treats often contain other ingredients like turmeric root, sweet potato, cinnamon, blueberries, Boswellia, hemp seed powder, or coconut oil with anti-inflammatory features.
CBD treats made specifically for managing joint pain are also enriched with joint-health-boosting compounds like chondroitin, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, omega fatty acids.
On the other hand, CBD oil has a faster onset and is more cost-effective for large dogs as it is available in various potencies.
Bottom line, there is no need to choose or use one CBD product strictly. You can always combine both CBD supplements – soft chews when on the go and oil when your dog feels cooperative.
How Long does it Take for CBD Treats to Work for Joint Pain in Dogs?
CBD treats work a little slower than the sublingual administration of pure CBD oil. Any CBD product entering the body through the digestive system may take between 45 and 90 minutes to kick in. Anticipate your dog’s needs, such as discomfort following their daily walk.
Now that you know how long CBD dog treats need to start working, it is time we talk about CBD doses. CBD dosing for dogs can be pretty complex. But, we have some good news: your dog cannot overdose on CBD. Hemp-derived CBD contains less than 0.3% THC, which is the plant compound responsible for psychoactive effects.
A high dose of CBD could cause temporary diarrhea, high blood pressure, lethargy, or thirst. Finding the correct amount of CBD for your pet means avoiding these side effects while still finding a dose that can be effective in supporting your dog’s joint health.
A general guideline for dosing is to fall within the range of 1 to 5 mg of CBD per 10lbs of body weight. Our CBD dose calculator can help you to determine how much your dog needs.
That said, specific ailments may require a higher CBD dosage. For example, a clinical study with arthritic dogs found that 2 mg/kg of CBD twice daily was most effective in increasing comfort and activity levels in canine patients.
These Mobility Soft Chews include approximately thirty chews per bag, with each bite containing 5 mg of CBD per treat. This is a perfect dose for small dogs, whereas larger breeds can have 2-3 a day, depending on their body mass.
Here are the exact CBD dosage guidelines for our Honest Paw Mobility Soft Chews:
- Dogs less than 25 lbs: 1 x 5 mg treat per day
- Dogs 25-50 lbs: 2 x 5 mg treats per day
- Dogs over 50 lbs: 3 x 5 mg chews per day
We recommend starting with a relatively low dose for your pet’s body weight and gradually increasing it for the best tolerance. Every dog is unique, and you need to find what works for your furry friend.
Finally, let’s say a word or two about the dosing frequency. To ensure your dog is covered 24/7, we recommend giving your dog CBD supplements twice per day. Continuous use is linked with more health-boosting effects.
How to Shop for CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain
- Full-Spectrum CBD – Full-spectrum CBD oil is stronger than broad-spectrum CBD or CBD isolate products. Full spectrum hemp contains whole-plant cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids.
- CBD Hemp Oil – Hemp oil is a seed extract and does not contain health-boosting cannabinoids. CBDs are found in hemp oil made from the whole plant, not just the hemp seeds.
- THC-Free Hemp Oil – CBD products for pets are made from hemp and contain less than 0.3% THC. Marijuana is high in THC and therefore toxic to pets.
- Organic and Made in the USA – A high-quality CBD is made from organically grown hemp plants in the USA. All ingredients in the CBD pet treats must be natural.
- CO2 Extraction Method – Ensure the manufacturer has used CO2 extraction, which is the best choice for high-quality hemp products with maximum purity.
- No Allergens and GMO Ingredients – The CBD treats must be non-GMO and free of potential allergens (soy, dairy, corn, and gluten-free).
- A Certificate of Analysis – A Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a third-party lab document verifying the potency of the cannabinoids, the THC percentage, and the exclusion of harmful chemicals.
- Reputable Brand – A trustworthy brand will stand out above the others with its high number of reviews and good standing with the Better Business Bureau.
Dog Joint Pain: Signs & Symptoms
From the day they are born, dogs are rambunctious – they fetch toys, chase balls, and bounce around the yard. Unfortunately, their joints take a beating from all the use, and for many dogs, joint pain is part of growing old.
Being a responsible dog owner means understanding the common threats for your dogs so you can expect them and, if possible, avoid them. Therefore, we will give you a short lesson on canine arthritis.
Causes of Joint Pain in Dogs
There are many reason for the development of joint issues in dogs. Here is a short review of the most commonly reported problems.
Traumatic injuries can affect dogs of all ages. Dislocation or fracturing of the ankle or any other joint can happen when a car hits a pet or suffers a sporting injury.
Palmar Carpal Ligament Breakdown or hyperextension of the limb can also cause a lot of pain by tearing of wrist (carpal) ligaments and cartilage, leading to joint collapse. Most times, surgery is required, and recovery is good.
But it is essential to check your dog’s joints regularly if they’ve ever been through surgery. Joint trauma can contribute to the development of immediate joint inflammation and dysfunctions later in life.
Several hereditary disorders cause joint problems in young puppies.
- Elbow or Hip Dysplasia can present in dogs less than a year old. It’s defined as abnormal development of the elbow joint in young, rapidly growing dogs. Stress on the joints leads to osteoarthritis of the elbow.
- Kneecap Displacement can also occur in any age dog and is defined by a deformity of the hindlimb, hip joint, femur, and tibia, later leading to cartilage injuries in the knee.
- Aseptic Necrosis of the Femoral Head is common in young miniature and small breeds characterized by a short blood supply to the bones. This is usually a breed malfunction.
- Osteochondrosis is a bone malformation and cartilage problem in rapidly growing dogs. It contributes greatly to degenerative arthritis. This condition is portrayed by joint cartilage cracking and separating from the bone. As painful as it sounds, it is made worse by fluid entering the space and cysts forming under the cartilage. Factors that cause it can be generic, although hormonal factors, lack of blood flow, trauma, or poor diet can also cause it.
Septic arthritis involves an infectious disease’s bacteria spreading through the blood. It can be caused by trauma or surgery. Lyme (tick bite) disease or Rickettsia are among the infectious diseases that can cause joint pain.
Degenerative Joint Disease
Secondary osteoarthritis is a vast topic, but these degenerative diseases are often caused by years of damage to a joint due to one of the aforementioned conditions.
Other causes could be an immune disorder or a cruciate ligament tear and the joints’ subsequent degeneration.
Signs Your Dog is Experiencing Joint Pain
Joint mobility is something we can take for granted until it’s a reality. Here are some common signs of joint paint to look out for in your dog:
- Hesitation to move, jump, run, etc.
- Limping, initially slight but may be more evident when they’re tired.
- Weird stance caused by backache, inflammation, and spinal pain.
- Lethargy and a habit of sleeping longer to avoid movement.
- Behavioral changes, depression, or aggression as a response to pain.
- Constant licking or gnawing on tender areas to try to relieve pain.
Take your dog to the vet if you suspect that it may be in pain. The veterinarian can run some tests and examine your dog to find the source of their problem. Early diagnosis of arthritis and joint pain means more successful mobility care and pain management.
How to Monitor Your Dog’s Joint Mobility
CBD is an excellent supplement for supporting joint health and normal mobility in dogs. However, it is essential to involve your vet in decisions regarding your dog’s health, so speak to them if the arthritis symptoms continue or you see no relief.
Arthritis or joint problems can progress before your eyes, and the last thing you want is for your pet’s joint and bone health to be far from repair. Therefore, close and continuous collaboration with your veterinarian is imperative.
CBD oil for dogs can be a supporting product with other medications, and ongoing use can strengthen and support the endocannabinoid system.
Do not be discouraged if there are no immediate results – CBD is not a magic cure. It may take up to two weeks before you can see the effects of the Mobility CBD treats.
Our Final Thoughts: CBD Dog Treats for Joint Pain
Supporting your dog’s joint health and mobility does not have to be complicated. Our high-quality Honest Paws Mobility CBD treats come as delicious little tidbits with poultry flavor and are convenient to add to every dog’s wellness routine.
Hopefully, those walks in the parks will become less of a strain for your dog’s joints, and you can see your pup speeding to catch the ball for many more years.