CBD oil for dogs with allergies helps by modulating the immune system, controlling inflammation, and reducing itchiness. Cannabinoids or CBD Oils for dogs are an excellent addition to the traditional allergy management plan.
Allergies in dogs cause pruritus or itching, which is frustrating and damages the health of the skin. Dog allergies are overreactions of the canine’s immune system to the presence of certain substances, including food protein, flea saliva, pollen, dust, mites, etc., called allergens.
Give dogs CBD for allergies to manage the symptoms. Allergic dogs benefit from the oral use of CBD oil and treats combined with the topical use of CBD balms and creams.
CBD Oil for dog allergies is available online and in retail stores. The top three best CBD oils for dogs with allergies are listed below.
- Honest Paws CBD Oil
- Penelope’s Bloom CBD Oil
- Batch CBD Oil
1. Honest Paws CBD Oil
The Honest Paws Well CBD Oil Tincture is human-grade and vegan, made of 100% natural and organic ingredients and health-boosting, full-spectrum hemp CBD oil.
The Honest Paws Well CBD Oil Tincture features anti-inflammatory properties that help dogs with allergies. The CBD supplement has various potencies and comes in an easy-use dropper bottle. The USDA-certified product features organic medium-chain triglyceride or MCT oil as a carrier.
The top pros of the oil are the full-spectrum extract, the several concentration options, and the high-quality ingredients. The con is the oil’s occasional unavailability due to high demand.
The CBD product comes in bottles in four strengths for dogs of different sizes: 125 mg for dogs under 25 pounds, 250 mg for dogs between 25 and 50 pounds of body weight, 500 mg for dogs between 50 and 74 pounds of body weight, and 1000 mg for dogs over 75 pounds of body weight. The Honest Paws brand recommends one full dropper as a daily CBD dose for dogs with allergies.
The Honest Paws Well CBD Oil Tincture costs an affordable $39.95 per bottle.
Pet owners say the Honest Paws Well CBD Oil Tincture is an amazing product that works great and makes a noticeable difference. Customers are raving about Honest Paws being the best CBD for dog allergies.
“My dog is itching less while I have been giving her this CBD oil. Going to keep her on this for continued improvement.”
“We have been using this for 2 months, and I see difference in her constant itching. Love how well she is doing.”
2. Penelope’s Bloom CBD Oil
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD Oil is a full-spectrum pet CBD supplement that helps relieve allergies and their symptoms. The oil is fast-acting and starts working in 15 to 20 minutes.
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD features MCT oil as a carrier and is available in four potency options for simple use. The oil is all-natural, vegan, sourced and made in the USA, and packed in a user-friendly dropper bottle.
The top three pros of the oil are the full-spectrum extract, the vegan formula, and the availability of four strength options. The only con is the lack of dog-friendly flavor.
CBD oil comes in four different strengths (250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg, and 1000 mg per bottle) for dogs of different sizes. The recommended dose is one full dropper a day or as needed.
The Penelope’s Bloom CBD Oil is available for $34.99.
Dog owners describe Penelope’s Bloom CBD Oil as a game-change” and very helpful product. Customers are happy with the selection of concentrations.
“I was always against CBD oil. I don’t know why. But when allergy meds were no longer working for my big girl I did research. Salmon and CBD oils kept coming up. So I caved and ordered it from you all because it seemed to be highly recommended. All I can say is wow! My dog is off of Apoquel completely. I have only had to give her Benadryl once in the past 3 weeks. Her skin is no longer red. She’s not scratching constantly. And she no longer bites her paws all the time. This oil has been a total lifesaver and I wish I had tried it sooner!”
3. Batch CBD Oil
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture is made from organic hemp grown in Wisconsin. Featuring cannabidiol (CBD), cannabigerol (CBG), and cannabichromene (CBC), the oil provides relief to dogs with environmental allergies.
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture is third-party tested for purity and potency. The oil is vegan, non-GMO, THC-free (less than 03%), and free from allergens such as gluten, dairy, and soy.
The top pros of the Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture are the organic hemp sourcing and availability in two flavors. The only con is the inclusion of three cannabinoids instead of a wider specter of healthy CBDs.
The brand’s dosage recommendation is between 3 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight.
The Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture costs $64.99 per bottle.
Pet owners report a noticeable difference after using the Batch Pet CBD Oil Tincture. Customers say it’s an excellent product, and dogs can’t get enough of it.
“I’ve tried a few different pet specific CBD products and this is the best, by far! Very effective and fast acting. Doesn’t make my dog loopy or groggy.”
4. Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil
The Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil by Dogs Naturally is a full-spectrum hemp product featuring various cannabinoid compounds like CBC, CBN (cannabinol), CBD, CBG, and CBA (copaiba) that help dogs with allergies.
The Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil is made with organic US-grown hemp using CO2 extraction. The oil is available in two strengths (500 mg and 1000 mg) and is free from herbicides, pesticides, and other harmful chemicals.
The main pros of the Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil are quality sourcing, full-spectrum extract, and lack of chemicals and additives. The only con is the oil’s frequent unavailability due to high demands.
The brand recommends giving dogs one full dropper (1 milliliter) of the 1000 mg strength bottle daily for joint and mobility issues.
The Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil costs $69.99.
Dog owners say the Four Leaf Rover CBD Oil works in less than a couple of minutes, and dogs like its taste. Customers agree that this CBD oil offers the best value for money.
“Maxi is our 11 year old Rat Terrier who suffers from a couple of issues. Environmental Allergies, Separation Anxiety and High Liver Enzymes affiliated with a Mass on her Liver. 1,000 CBD I’m hoping will shrink her mass at some point. It’s a great quality CBD and Maxi seems to be able to Rest, Relax and Sleep when left alone at home now.”
5. Joy Organics CBD Oil
The Joy Organics CBD Oil Tincture for Dogs features organic broad-spectrum hemp and extra-virgin olive oil. The cannabinoids offer relief to allergic dogs through their anti-pruritic and immuno-modulatory effects.
The Joy Organics CBD Oil is available in two different potencies and packed in an easy-use dropper bottle. The product is completely THC-free and does not make dogs high.
The pros of the oil are the extra quality of hemp sourcing, the inclusion of olive oil, and the 0.0% THC presence in the formula. The cons are the use of broad-spectrum extract instead of full-spectrum and the lack of dog-friendly flavors.
The brand recommends giving between 1 and 2 mg of CBD oil per 10 pounds of body weight.
The Joy Organics CBD Oil costs $44.95 per bottle.
Dog owners say the Joy Organics CBD Oil is a great product with excellent taste and quick effects. Customers consider the oil to be the best broad-spectrum product for allergies.
“Great products and great customer service!! Love this company! They really care about their customers and producing excellent quality!”
6. NuLeaf Naturals CBD
The NuLeaf Naturals Pet CBD Oil is a full-spectrum hemp CBD oil suitable for dogs with allergies. The cannabinoids modify the immune system and reduce inflammation, thus relieving allergies in dogs.
The NuLeaf Naturals Pet CBD Oil is available in three strength options (300 mg, 900 mg, and 1800 mg) and a user-friendly dropper bottle. The CBD is extracted with CO2 for maximum purity and is THC-free.
The top three pros of the oil are the full-spectrum CBD formula, quality extraction method, and budget-friendly price. The only con is the lack of flavors for added palatability.
The recommended dosage by the manufacturer is two drops (6mg) per 25 pounds, daily or as needed.
The NuLeaf Naturals Pet CBD Oil is available at a price of $49.00 per bottle.
Customers are satisfied with the quality and price of the NuLeaf Naturals Pet CBD Oil. Pet owners report significant allergy relief in dogs after consistent CBD use.
“It seems to be working well for my dog, Riley!”
“I received the product in a timely manner. It was effectively packaged and loved the additional administration information!”
7. CBDistillery CBD
The CBDistillery CBD Pet Tincture is a high-quality and full-spectrum oil rich in healthy cannabinoids. The oil has an anti-inflammatory effect and helps modulate the immune system, relieving dogs with allergies.
The CBDistillery CBD Pet Tincture features hemp seed oil as a carrier and has less than 0.3% THC. The oil is vegan, all-natural, non-GMO, and sourced from US-grown industrial hemp.
The top three pros of the oil are the full-spectrum CBD extract, the use of hemp seed oil, and the affordable price. The con is the lack of dog-friendly flavor options.
The brand recommends giving 0.5 ml of CBD oil for dogs less than 25 pounds, giving 1 ml of CBD oil for dogs between 25 and 75 pounds, and 2 ml of CBD oil for dogs over 75 pounds.
The CBDistillery CBD Pet Tincture costs an affordable $44.00.
Pet owners report significant relief in allergy symptoms with the use of the CBDistillery CBD Pet Tincture. Customers recommend the pet product and are happy with its affordable price.
“It really seems to help my Aussie.”
“Great customer service and support. Was glad they have a subscription available with discounts!”
The CBDfx Pet Tincture is an affordable, human-grade, and broad-spectrum CBD oil that helps manage the allergy symptoms of dogs sensitive to various allergens.
The CBDfx Pet Tincture is USA-made, sourced from organic hemp, and with MCT coconut oil as a carrier. The product has four potency options and two flavors (bacon and chicken).
The main two pros of the oil are the human-grade quality and availability of different potencies and flavors. The only con is the inclusion of broad instead of full-spectrum extract.
CBD oil comes in four different strengths (250 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg, and 2000 mg per bottle) for dogs of different sizes. The recommended dose is one full dropper a day or as needed.
The CBDfx Pet Tincture costs $69.99 per bottle.
Customers are happy with the CBDfx Pet Tincture’s quality and efficacy. Pet owners say CBD oil helps relieve allergy symptoms in pets sensitive to environmental allergens.
“My dog had skin allergies that lead to frequent itching that was often intense. The vet was not sure what exactly was causing the allergies. I started giving him the CBD for dogs. I noticed a significant decrease in the itching within an extremely short amount of time, probably about a week. I highly recommend this product. It is magical how it took care of the problem and how quickly it worked! I hope it continues to work.”
How Can CBD Oil Help Dogs with Allergies?
CBD oil helps dogs with allergies by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Campora L. and associate researchers examined the connection between the ECS and allergies. The results concluded that cannabinoids and the ECS “protect against effects of allergic inflammatory disorders in various species of mammals.”
Many studies show that CBD improves wellness in humans. Humans share the same ECS as other mammals, meaning the benefits of CBD in humans are expected in dogs and cats; however, there is less data on the effects of CBD in animals.
CBD oil for dog allergies modulates the immune system, which is the primary cause of exaggerated allergic reactions.
Veterinary Sciences published a study, “Effect of Cannabidiol (CBD) on Canine Inflammatory Response: An Ex Vivo Study on LPS Stimulated Whole Blood,” in 2021. The study demonstrated CBD’s ability to modify the immune system.
CBD reduces inflammation (the body’s response to the allergen presence) and reduces pruritus or itching (the main dog allergy symptom).
Sumner Burstein wrote a study, “Cannabidiol (CBD) and its analogs: a review of their effects on inflammation,” explaining CBD’s anti-inflammatory effect.
Veterinary Dermatology published a study, “The effect of a mixed cannabidiol and cannabidiolic acid-based oil on client-owned dogs with atopic dermatitis,” in 2022. The study results indicated that CBD reduces itchiness.
CBD supports skin health, and healthy skin means a stronger barrier against contact allergens.
Dermatology Online Journal published a study, “Cannabinoids in dermatology: a scoping review,” in 2018, showing that CBD enhances the production of fat molecules that hydrate and protect the skin.
CBD is a relatively new wellness option for pet owners. Dog owners looking for alternative health and well-being options often ask, “What is CBD?”
The simple answer is that CBD oil and pet treats are natural, hemp-sourced supplements that support wellness and help with certain health conditions.
Dogs experience reduced itching, hair loss, and inflammation when CBD oil is used to treat allergies.
How Do Allergies Affect Dogs?
Allergies affect dogs by irritating the immune system and manifest in itchy skin. Dogs scratch the affected skin, lick their paws, and rub their faces.
Red skin, fur loss, and frequent skin and ear infections are other signs of allergies in dogs. Dogs that are allergic to particular foods suffer vomiting and diarrhea.
Humans with allergies experience a runny nose and irritated eyes, though these symptoms are not as common in canines.
What is Dog Allergies?
Dog allergies are overreactions of the dog’s immune system to allergens.
The exact cascade of processes behind allergies is complex. An allergic reaction occurs when the dog’s immune system misidentifies an otherwise harmless substance (called an allergen) as a threat and mobilizes its entire immune system against the allergen.
Dog allergies develop in all canines regardless of age, breed, and sex. Certain types, however, such as atopic dermatitis and allergies to pollen and plants, have a genetic component.
What are the Causes of Dogs’ Allergies?
The causes of dog allergies are listed below.
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis: Flea saliva is a common allergen in dogs and causes a condition known as flea allergy dermatitis or flea bite sensitivity. Dogs sensitive to flea saliva develop severe allergies with one flea bite.
- Food Allergens: Proteins found in food are allergenic for some dogs. Common food allergens for dogs include beef, chicken, fish, chicken eggs, dairy, corn, wheat gluten, and soy.
- Environmental Allergens: Allergens are found in the environment and cause reactions when inhaled or through contact with the dog’s skin. The most common environmental allergens are pollen (from trees, grasses, or weeds), dust, dust mites, dander, and molds.
Can CBD Treat Dogs’ Allergies?
Yes, CBD treats dogs’ allergies. CBD is not a miracle cure for allergic dogs, but when used consistently, cannabidiol makes an excellent addition to the anti-allergy management plan.
The best CBD for dogs modulates the dog’s immune system, thus helping with the main allergy trigger and reducing inflammation and itchiness, which relieve the main symptoms of allergies.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Dogs?
Yes, hemp CBD oil is safe for dogs.
Pet CBD supplements are sourced from hemp and not from marijuana. Hemp and marijuana are members of the same cannabis plant family but have very different cannabinoid profiles.
Hemp is rich in CBD (cannabidiol) and other health-boosting cannabinoids, while marijuana contains high amounts of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). THC makes people “high” and is toxic to pets.
The answer is yes to the question, “Is CBD safe for animals.” The best CBD for dogs is safe when it is extracted from hemp and contains less than 0.3% THC.
Can CBD Oil Treat Dogs with Seizures?
Yes, CBD oil treats dogs with seizures. Studies have shown that 89% of dogs supplemented with CBD experience reduced seizure frequency.
CBD for dogs with seizures works on multiple levels. Cannabidiol reduces neuronal excitability, reduces neuroinflammation, inhibits seizure spread, and has anticonvulsant properties.
The best 12 CBD oils for dogs with seizures help reduce the frequency, severity, and duration of seizure episodes.
What are Common Treatments for Dogs with Allergies?
Common treatments for dogs with allergies include antihistamines, prescription medications, and desensitization therapy.
Antihistamines such as Benadryl and Zyrtec are available over-the-counter and safe for dogs; however, they are not very potent and are not universally efficient.
Prescription medications used in the management of canine allergies include a list of options, such as Apoquel and Cytopoint. Prescription medications are stronger but, in cases of long-term use, are associated with serious side effects ranging from weight gain to immune system suppression.
Desensitization therapy is a long-term treatment approach and requires individually tailored injections received over the course of several months. The shots are expensive and only 100% efficient in some dogs.
How to Make a Dog with Allergies Comfortable with CBD?
To make a dog with allergies comfortable with CBD, follow the steps listed below.
- Use Oral CBD Oil Daily. Dose the dog with CBD oil once a day or twice a day in half doses. Squirt the CBD amount directly into the dog’s mouth (ideally, under the tongue) or mix it with the dog’s food or water. Use dog CBD treats as an alternative for picky dogs that dislike oils. CBD treats for dogs are easier to administer but take longer to start working.
- Calculate the Correct Dose: The recommended dose of CBD for dogs with allergies is 1 to 5 mg of CBD oil for every 10 pounds of body weight. Calculating the appropriate dose will depend on the severity of the symptoms and require practice. Start with a lower-than-recommended dose and increase until the symptoms disappear. Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- Apply CBD Topically. Use CBD topical products or oil directly on the dog’s skin and sore and irritated skin spots caused by constant itching. CBD reduces inflammation and supports healing. Do not worry if the dog licks some of the topical CBD as the product is not dangerous; however, the effectiveness is reduced if the animal licks the cream before it is absorbed into the skin.
- Determine the correct number of daily applications: Topical CBD oil, gels, balms, salves, and creams work best when applied daily. The best CBD oil for dogs has less than 0.3% or no THC, so there is no risk of overdose. The frequency of application depends on the severity of the symptoms. Some dogs need one treatment a day, while other allergic dogs require several. Always follow the recommendations provided by the brand and seek veterinary advice for specific guidance.
How Much CBD Oil Can You Give for Dogs with Allergies?
You can give dogs with allergies 1 to 5 mg of CBD Oil per 10 pounds of body weight. The dose is able to be given once a day or divided in half for two daily administrations.
Start with a lower CBD dose and gradually work the way up, allowing the dog’s body to adapt to the new supplement. CBD does not make dogs overdose.
Consult a veterinarian or use a CBD dosage calculator to determine the correct starting amount of CBD for allergies. Dogs react differently, and it takes practice to find the ideal CBD dose and CBD oil for a dog.
How to Choose the Right CBD Oil for your Dogs?
To choose the right CBD Oil for your dog, always buy a full-spectrum, hemp-sourced CBD oil that is adequately concentrated, dog-friendly, flavored, simple to use, and made by a trustworthy pet CBD brand.
The six main factors to consider when choosing the best CBD oil for dogs with allergies are listed and reviewed below.
- Choose an Extract Type. Pet CBD supplements for allergies come in three forms: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolates. Full-spectrum is ideal because it contains different cannabinoids and additional compounds (terpenes, flavonoids, and omega fatty acids) that boost the effects of cannabinoids. Broad-spectrum oils contain fewer cannabinoids, and isolates feature a single cannabinoid.
- Check the Hemp Sourcing. CBD oil for dogs is always sourced from hemp and not from marijuana. Marijuana contains THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is toxic to pets. Hemp is very low in THC and, therefore, safe for dogs. The allowed and safe amount of THC in pet CBD supplements is less than 0.3%.
- Read the Certificate of Analysis. Reputable CBD brands have their products tested for safety, efficacy, and label accuracy by third-party labs. The results of those tests are reported in a document known as a Certificate of Analysis (COA). The COA is found on the CBD brand’s official website.
- Find the Right Concentration. Buy a CBD oil product whose potency makes dosage calculations simple. For example, for a Maltese dog, buy a low-potency oil, and for an Irish Wolfhound, get an extra-strength oil.
- Pick a Flavor. Choose flavored CBD oil, especially for picky eaters who dislike CBD’s naturally bitter and repelling taste. Pet CBD brands use dog-friendly flavors like chicken, beef, and bacon to cover the bitterness.
- Consider topical treatments: Dogs with allergies respond well to topical oils, creams, balms, and salves that soothe and heal the skin and reduce inflammation and itchiness.
- Research the Brand. Always buy from a reputable pet CBD brand. The best CBD oil for dogs comes from trustworthy brands that are transparent and honest with their claims. Reading reviews from other customers helps create an image regarding the brand’s reliability.
Does CBD Oil Have Bad Side Effects for Dogs?
Yes, CBD oil has bad side effects for dogs. CBD reduces saliva production and causes dry mouth in some dogs, and temporarily lowers blood pressure in others. The adverse effects of CBD in dogs are benign and transient.
The list of potential adverse events includes stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, dizziness, inhibited liver enzymes, increased itchiness, and tremors.
Use pure hemp-sourced cannabidiol of high quality and introduce it to the dog’s health regimen slowly to reduce the risk of side effects of CBD to animals.
Is Continuing CBD Treatment Necessary for Dogs with Allergies?
Yes, continuous CBD supplementation is necessary for dogs with allergies. CBD works best when used daily.
Pet CBD is safe to use daily, and its beneficial effects increase over time. CBD for animals is simple to use and is implemented in the dog’s daily routine effortlessly.
Does CBD Help Dogs with Allergies?
Yes, CBD helps dogs with allergies. CBD helps modulate the immune system, prevents exaggerated immune responses, and relieves allergy symptoms.
Using the best CBD for animals helps with allergies while promoting overall health and physical and mental wellness.
What are the Other Health Conditions that CBD is helpful for Dogs?
Other health conditions that CBD is helpful for dogs are listed below.
- CBD for Dogs with Anxiety: Cannabidiol mimics the effects of serotonin, hence supporting natural relaxation. A single CBD dose helps calm dogs suffering from separation and car travel anxiety.
- CBD for IVDD Dogs: The CBD’s anti-pain and anti-inflammatory properties are helpful to dogs with intervertebral disc disease (IVDD). IVDD is a frequent spinal condition, particularly in chondrodystrophic breeds.
- CBD for Arthritic Dogs: Arthritis is fueled by inflammation and causes pain. Cannabidiol reduces inflammation and controls pain. Arthritic dogs given CBD are more active and comfortable.
- CBD for Hyperactive Dogs: The CBD’s calming effect helps balance the excess energy of hyper dogs. Cannabidiol promotes natural relaxation and balances glucose metabolism, thus calming down hyperactive dogs.
- CBD for Dogs with Seizures: Cannabidiol has anti-convulsive features and prevents seizure activity from spreading through the brain. CBD supplementation in dogs helps decrease seizure frequency, intensity, and duration.
- CBD Helps Dogs with Cancer: CBD promotes cancer cell death, inhibits tumor growth, and prevents metastasis. Cannabidiol is safe to combine with traditional cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation.
- CBD and Dogs with Lymphoma: CBD helps reduce the side effects of lymphoma through its pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. CBD oil blocks pro-inflammatory cytokines and inhibits COX-2, which triggers inflammation.
CBD or cannabidiol supports dogs with lymphoma and anxiety. Studies on canine lymphoma and CBD are limited; however, studies on dogs with cancer demonstrate positive CBD effects in canines with cancer. The natural herbal extract helps reduce tumor growth, decrease tumor spreading, promote cancer cell death and tumor shrinking. Supplementation with CBD reduces pain and inflammation in dogs with cancer. Anecdotal evidence from pet owners suggests CBD is helpful for dogs with lymphoma. Chemotherapy is the traditional treatment for lymphoma in canines, and a side effect of chemotherapy is loss of appetite and nausea.
CBD reduces nausea and promotes appetite. A study published in 2002, “Cannabidiol, a non-psychoactive component of cannabis and its synthetic dimethylheptyl homolog suppress nausea in an experimental model with rats,” explained how CBD suppresses nausea caused by diseases, medications, and conditioned events.
Daily CBD doses of between 1 to 5 mg per 10 pounds of body weight are recommended for dogs with lymphoma. The correct dosage is determined by the severity of the lymphoma. Start with a lower dose and gradually increase until the dog regains appetite, stops vomiting, and pain is reduced.
Dogs with anxiety benefit from CBD supplementation. The cannabidiol oil and edibles relieve stress caused by separation anxiety, thunder, or fireworks. Dogs with mild to moderate anxiety are manageable through CBD alone, while pets with severe anxiety require a combination of CBD and traditional anti-anxiety medications like Valium, Xanax, Lorazepam, ProZac.
Administer the CBD oil directly into the dog’s mouth or mix it with dog food to treat their anxiety. CBD requires 30 and 45 minutes to take effect and calm an anxious dog. CBD oil works faster, while CBD dog treats take longer.
Treats containing CBD (soft chews and bites) contain various ingredients and need more time for digestion. Giving the CBD oil directly under the dog’s tongue (sublingually) is most effective in emergency situations because it works fastest.
CBD’s positive health effect against anxiety is stronger than lymphoma because different clinical studies prove its efficacy in managing situational and prolonged anxiety in dogs.