Table of Contents
Best CBD for Dog Allergies at a Glance
- Best CBD Oil for Dogs with Allergies: Honest Paws CBD Oil
Overall best CBD for dog allergies because of its unmatched quality, safety, and efficacy.
- Best CBD Treats: Honest Paws CBD Treats
Dog treats infused with full-spectrum CBD oil for allergy management.
- Best Quality Price: Simple Wag
Full-spectrum CBD for dog allergies at an affordable and budget-friendly price.
- Best Value: Four Leaf Rover
Excellent cost to potency ratio that makes the CBD for dog allergies perfect for large and giant breeds.
- Organic Ingredients: Joy Organics
CBD for dog allergies with carefully selected, all-natural, and organic ingredients.
- Most-Flavor Options: Petly CBD
A rich selection of CBD for dog allergies products that are safe and efficient.
How does CBD For Dog Allergies Work?
CBD for Dogs works for allergies by modulating the immune system, preventing exaggerated immune responses, and relieving allergy symptoms. CBD does this through the dog’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). All medical benefits of CBD for dog allergies stem from its ability to work through the ECS.
Based on current information (research and anecdotal evidence), CBD hemp products are helpful for allergic dogs. Yet, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not approve the use of the cannabis plant for medicinal purposes in pets. On a brighter note, in a 2018 study from the Colorado State University, “A Report of Adverse Effects Associated With the Administration of Cannabidiol in Healthy Dogs,” it is stated that “CBD is a well-tolerated supplement.”
So, can CBD oil help your dog’s allergies? The answer is yes CBD for dog allergies is helpful. However, you need to consult with your vet first and ask for their opinion. CBD is a natural remedy and can help with various health conditions, allergies included, but responsible use is imperative.
The Best CBD for Dog Allergies
With so many brands offering CBD for dog allergies, finding the right one for your dog’s allergies can be challenging. To make things easy, we have selected and reviewed the best CBD supplements for dogs.
Summary: Honest Paws offers condition-specific lines of hemp oil blends. The Honest Paws CBD oil is human-grade and vegan, made of 100% natural and organic ingredients and health-boosting, full-spectrum hemp CBD oil. You can choose a specific CBD if your dog has additional health problems besides allergies.
- Organic full-spectrum CBD oil
- Rich in cannabinoids
- Available in two different potencies
- Third-party lab-tested and US-made
- Sometimes out of stock due to high demand
Review: Pet owners say the Honest Paws CBD oil is an “amazing product” that “works great” and makes a “noticeable difference.” All in all, Honest Paws is the best CBD for dog allergies.
Summary: Honest Paws is a quality leader in the pet CBD industry. The reliable and trustworthy brand has a rich selection of dog CBD treats with different flavors and textures. The Honest Paws CBD dog treats are made with full-spectrum hemp as the main active ingredient and added health-boosting and condition-specific natural compounds.
- Various types of CBD treats
- With full-spectrum hemp oil
- Healthy and natural ingredients
- Delicious and practical
- More expensive than similar products
Review: Dog owners say their “dogs love” the Honest Paws CBD treats, and they make “noticeable results” in their dogs’ condition. All in all, Honest paws offers the best CBD treats for dogs with allergies.
Summary: Simple Wag is a CBD brand specializing in formulating 100% pure organic hemp, non-GMO, and xylitol-free CBD oil. It also wants to make CBD available for everyone and sells at reasonably affordable prices. The Simple Wag CBD oil is easy to use and will provide suitable relief to dogs with allergies.
- Full-spectrum formula
- Excellent cost to potency ratio
- Lab-tested and USDA certified
- Practical and eco-friendly bottle
- Limited product selection
Review: Pet owners say the Simple Wag CBD oil “works wonders” for their dogs, and it is a “good product to have on hand.” All in all, Simple Wag offers the best quality-price ratio for CBD for dog allergies.
Summary: Dogs Naturally crafted a full spectrum organic hemp oil rich in various cannabinoid compounds like CBC, CBN, CBD, CBG, and CBA. The quality of its CBD products makes every cent worth it, which is good news considering the heftier price tag.
- Organic full-spectrum oil with natural ingredients
- CBD oil with different potencies
- Supercritical CO2 extraction method
- COA available on the website
- Limited CBD product selection
Review: Dog owners say the Four Leaf Rover CBD oil works “in less than a couple of minutes,” and their dogs “like it.” The Four Leaf Rover CBD oil is our choice as the best value CBD for dog allergies.
Summary: Joy Organics is a CBD brand dedicated to making high-quality CBD products for humans and pets. Its line of pet CBD products features human-grade, broad-spectrum CBD oil and premium quality organic olive oil as a carrier. Joy Organics CBD oil comes in two different strengths.
- High-quality and organic CBD oil
- Organic olive oil as a carrier
- Completely THC-free (0.0 percent)
- Lab-tested and USDA-certified
- Broad-spectrum CBD formula
Review: Dog owners say the Joy Organics CBD oil is a “great product” with “excellent taste” and “quick effects.” All in all, Joy Organics is the best all-natural CBD for dog allergies.
Summary: Despite being a relatively new CBD company, Petly CBD launched itself on the top by offering safe, efficient, and high-quality CBD products for pets. To ensure easy administration, the brand pays special attention to the flavors, offering various dog-friendly options.
- Different CBD supplements for allergies
- 100% organic, vegan, and gluten-free
- Various dog-friendly flavors
- Donations with every CBD product
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil formula
Review: Pet parents say the Petly CBD oil is an “amazing product” and “dogs are crazy about its flavors.” All in all, Petly CBD offers the most flavor options for CBD for dog allergies.
How to Use CBD for Dog Allergies
There are different ways of using CBD for dog allergies. For example, you can use dog CBD oil and squirt it directly into the dog’s mouth, mixed with the dog food, or into a porous dog treat. Giving your dog CBD oil directly in its mouth achieves fast results, but some dogs do not like the CBD oil’s bitter aftertaste.
In such cases, you should consider CBD treats. There are commercially available CBD-infused soft chews, bites, and other edibles like peanut butter and food toppers. Featuring dog-friendly flavors, CBD dog treats are easy to give but are more expensive, especially for larger canine companions. As an alternative, you can bake homemade CBD treats.
Regardless of whether you choose CBD oils or CBD treats, you need to make sure you are getting high-quality CBD for dog allergies. Here is a short description of the important things you need to consider:
- Full-spectrum CBD is more health-boosting than isolates and broad-spectrum CBD oil as it has a better overall natural compound profile.
- THC-free hemp extract because marijuana contains THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), a psychoactive compound that is toxic to pets.
- Organic ingredients are vital for a high-quality CBD product free from pesticides and other pollutants.
- CO2 extraction ensures high-quality CBD products with high levels of cannabinoids and no impurities and contaminating chemical compounds.
- Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a document provided by a third-party lab proving the oil’s quality, safety, and purity.
- Formulated for Joint Pain and Inflammation
- Made with Full Spectrum CBD Oil
- Third Party Tested
- Support sensitive skin & seasonal allergies
- Boost immune system & cognitive function
- Enhance bone & joint health
- Promote relaxation & combat stress
CBD For Dogs With Allergies Dosage
Although there is no standard dosage for CBD for dogs with allergies, we suggest a dose between 1 and 5 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight a day. The dose can be given at once or divided into two daily administrations.
Considering the wide dosage range, we recommend starting your dog with lower doses and gradually working your way up. The good thing is that CBD cannot make dogs overdose. If you accidentally give your dog too much CBD, it will sleep through the effects.
Like any other supplement, CBD can cause some mild negative side effects – some dogs are more sensitive than others. After starting your dog on CBD, some of the common side effects you can expect include dry mouth, low blood pressure, and diarrhea. If the use of CBD oil seems ineffective or your dog is showing adverse effects, consult with the vet about dosage modification.
The Benefits of CBD For Dogs With Allergies
Using CBD for dog allergies may help on various levels. For example, CBD for dog allergies modulates the pet’s immune system, thus preventing an exaggerated immune response, which is the essence of any allergic reaction. Below is a list of the effects of CBD for dog allergies.
CBD Supports Skin Health in Dogs
CBD works through the ECS, and after 20 years of research, today, we know that the ECS is critical for skin health. Targeting the endocannabinoid system makes it possible to manage specific skin issues. Plus, there is a connection between the ECS, cannabinoids, and omega fatty acids (the most popular skin-boosting supplement).
CBD Eases Pain and Reduces Inflammation for Dogs
CBD has pronounced pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties for dogs. In fact, researchers popularly describe cannabinoids as a pain treatment option and novel anti-inflammatory drugs. This is important because allergic reactions are based on supporting inflammation which over time leads to irritation and pain.
CBD Helps Maintain Normal Moisture Content of Skin for Dogs
CBD for dog allergies can also help maintain normal skin moisture for dogs when applied directly to the skin. For this purpose, there are specifically formulated CBD balms and creams for topical use. They can be applied on dry skin or certain skin lesions. A dog with any type of skin allergy will experience skin moisture changes.
CBD may Help With Occasional or Seasonal Dog Allergies
Scientific studies show that the endocannabinoid system and allergic reactions. Therefore, CBD can help with different types of allergies, including contact allergies and atopic dermatitis. Because of its ability to promote gut health, it is postulated that CBD may even help with food allergies.
Plus, CBD can ease allergy symptoms and their consequences. Namely, the CBD’s anxiolytic effect supports calmness and can help with the itch-related anxiety and chronic pain. Meanwhile, its antibacterial properties help with infections caused by the dog’s itching.
Treatment Options for Dogs with Allergies
There are different ways of treating allergies, and some are more efficient than others. However, it is also true that some treatments come with fewer and lesser side effects than others. Usually, veterinarians recommend a multimodal approach. Here is a list of the treatment options for dogs with allergies:
- Prescription medications. The medications of choice are antihistamines and corticosteroids. These drugs are efficient but, in cases of long-term use, they are associated with serious side effects ranging from weight gain to immune system suppression.
- Desensitization therapy. This is a long-term approach and requires individually tailored injections received over the course of several months. In the meanwhile, the veterinarian will manage the dog’s allergies using medications and natural remedies.
- Natural remedies. Natural options are gaining a lot of attention lately. The reason for their popularity is the lack of side effects. Common natural remedies, in addition to CBD for dog allergies, include fish oils, oatmeal baths, and aloe vera topicals.
How CBD Compares to Alternative Dog Allergy Treatments
The standard anti-allergy prescription medication works by suppressing the immune system. This is efficient in preventing allergies, but the risks outweigh the benefits as long-term use of such medications makes dogs prone to infections.
Novel anti-allergy prescription drugs for furry friends like oclacitinib are safer and more efficient but still associated with some serious side effects ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to skin lumps and aggression.
On the other hand, a 2018 study confirmed that CBD is safe for dogs, and another clinical trial from 2019 showed no side effects associated with CBD use. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also says that “there are no official reports of major side-effects associated with CBD oil use in dogs.” Plus, instead of causing immune suppression, CBD modulates or balances the dog’s immune system.
Dog Allergies: Signs & Symptoms
Dog skin allergies are a common issue among modern canine companions. Allergic reactions are, in fact, exaggerated immune responses triggered by mast cells. Although not a life-threatening condition, they affect the dog’s quality of life, thus requiring prompt veterinary attention.
The vet will perform a physical examination and diagnostic tests like blood tests to evaluate the situation and craft an individually tailored treatment plan. Close collaboration with the veterinarian plays a vital role in allergy management.
Causes of Allergies in Dogs
Allergies are caused by substances called allergens in the dog’s immune system identifies as threats. Based on the type of allergens and where the allergic reaction occurs, there causes of allergies can be classified into four groups:
- Environmental allergies: dust, pollen, mold, dander from other animals, bee stings
- Food allergies: proteins found in beef, chicken, eggs, dairy
- Flea allergy dermatitis: flea bites
- Allergic contact dermatitis: pollen, grasses, fabrics.
Signs Your Dog has Allergies and What to do
The signs of allergy depend on where the allergic reaction occurs. Below is a short list of the different types and symptoms:
- The gastrointestinal system – similar symptoms to GI distress, such as diarrhea, vomiting, boating
- The respiratory system – sneezing, coughing, runny nose, and eyes (a good indicator of allergies in humans, too)
- The skin – itchy skin, redness, skin irritation, paw biting or licking, hair loss, self-inflicted scratch wounds, and other common symptoms of skin conditions.
If your dog shows one or more of these signs, you should call your trusted veterinarian and schedule an appointment. The sooner you get help, the sooner you will successfully manage your dog’s allergies.