Table of Contents
Best CBD for Dogs With Arthritis at a Glance
- Honest Paws CBD Oil – Best CBD Oil for Dogs with Arthritis
- Honest Paws CBD Treats – Best CBD Treats
- Simple Wag – Best Price Value
- Four Leaf Rover – Best Quality Ingredients
- CBDfx– Broad Spectrum CBD
- Joy Organics – Organic Ingredients
- Penelope’s Bloom– Extra Strength CBD Treats
- Petly CBD – Unique Food Topper
How does CBD For Dogs With Arthritis Work?
CBD for Dogs with arthritis works by managing its joint inflammation and chronic pain. Cannabidiol, or CBD does this through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). As a regulatory system, ECS supports the dog’s body by maintaining a state of health and balance (homeostasis). All health benefits of CBD stem from its ability to interact with the body’s ECS.
Both clinical trials and anecdotal evidence suggest that CBD is good for arthritic dogs. Plus, in its report on Cannabidiol, the World Health Organization (WHO) says that “CBD is generally well-tolerated, with a good safety profile.” Yet, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not approve the use of CBD products for pets.
Therefore, to ensure the safe use of CBD oil or treats in arthritic dogs, talking to a trusted veterinarian is a good starting point. The American Veterinary Medical Association points that vets cannot recommend CBD products. However, they can explain to dog owners everything they need to know about CBD and answer their questions including the medical treatment plan to types of CBD products, to dosage and frequency of dosing.
Is CBD Good for Arthritis in Dogs?
Yes CBD is good for arthritis in dogs! CBD is a therapeutic and all-around holistic option for dogs struggling with joint pain and inflammation caused by arthritis. Treatments that use NSAIDs to manage pain are effective, but scientific research and anecdotal reports have shown an inadequate ability to reduce arthritic pain caused by canine arthritis. Instead, NSAIDs triggered side effects in senior dogs (55%) with other diseases, mainly GI tract issues.
CBD offers a natural alternative. A recent study by Frontiers, “Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs” found that CBD causes a “significant decrease and increase in activity” as concluded based on baseline CBPI and Hudson score change. And the great thing is that CBD promotes overall health with minimal negative side effects.
The Best CBD for Dogs With Arthritis
Navigating the different CBD brands and finding the right supplement for your dog is challenging. To make things easier, we have selected and reviewed the best CBD products for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Honest Paws checks all the boxes for quality, efficacy, and safety. The Honest Paws products are human-grade, organic, and vegan. They are full-spectrum and rich in health-boosting cannabinoids. Plus, as a condition-specific CBD oil, the Honest Paws Mobility oil is enriched with organic turmeric and safe for puppies, adult dogs, and seniors.
- High-quality full-spectrum CBD oil
- Formulated for inflammation and pain relief
- Yields significant improvements in mobility
- Third-party lab tested for safety
- Some dogs may dislike the flavor
Review: Pet owners say the Honest Paws CBD oil “works wonders”, “makes a big difference” and their dogs “honestly love the product”. Overall, Honest Paws is the best CBD oil for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: In addition to premium quality CBD oils, Honest Paws makes condition-specific CBD treats. The Honest Paws Mobility Soft Chews are made with full-spectrum oil and natural ingredients specifically to help arthritis including chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, and Boswellia serrata. Each soft chew features 5 mg of CBD and is poultry flavored for easy use. The texture makes the chews ideal for older dogs with painful joints.
- With full-spectrum CBD oil
- Free from harmful ingredients
- Flavorful and easy to use
- Relieves joint pain and inflammation
- Only one flavor option
Review: Pet owners say their dogs are “less stiff” and have “no trouble with the steps and are going for longer walks” after starting to use the Honest Paws Mobility treats. Overall, Honest Paws has the best CBD treats for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Simple Wag is a reliable and trustworthy CBD brand. Its CBD Oils are 100% pure hemp, non-GMO, xylitol-free, gluten-free, and completely organic. In simpler words, Simple Wag offers all the value and quality of a premium brand at a budget-friendly price.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil from organic hemp
- Reduces arthritic pain and chronic inflammation
- Eco-friendly bottle packaging
- Lab-tested, USDA-certified, and made in the US
- Lower concentrations of other cannabinoids
Review: Pet owners say the Simple Wag CBD oil is “effective” and yields “fast results”. They are also satisfied with the affordable price. Overall, Simple Wag has the best price value CBD oil for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Made by Dogs Naturally, the Four Leaf Rover line of CBD products is of supreme quality and efficacy. The Four Leaf Rover’s CBD Oil is made of US-grown organic hemp. As a full-spectrum option, it contains an array of cannabinoids including CBC, CBN, CBD, CBG, and CBA. The oil is easy to use and available in different potencies.
- Organic and full-spectrum hemp CBD oil
- Rich in different cannabinoids
- Carefully selected natural ingredients
- Lab-tested and made in the US
- More expensive than similar products
Review: Pet owners say the Four Leaf Rover CBD oil is a “good product to have on hand” and that it “works in less than two minutes”. Overall, Four Leaf Rover is the CBD oil with the best quality ingredients for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: CBDfx is a less known CBD brand but with outstanding features. The brand uses high-quality broad-spectrum CBD oil in its formulations and coconut oil as a carrier. The CBDfx CBD oil is vegan and gluten-free. Plus, featuring smoked bacon flavor, the oil is straightforward to give to dogs.
- High-quality broad-spectrum oil
- Human-grade ingredients
- Supercritical CO2 extraction
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Simpler formulation than other oils
Review: Pet owners say the CBDfx CBD Oil is “wonderful” and they have “noticed a big difference after starting to use the oil”. Overall, CBDfx is the best broad-spectrum CBD oil for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Joy Organics is a CBD brand that focuses on compassion, integrity, and excellence. The Joy Organics line of CBD pet products offers treats and oils. Both are made with organic broad-spectrum hemp. The Joy Organics CBD oil is available in two different potencies and is simple to dose and use.
- High-quality and organic CBD oil
- Organic olive oil as a carrier
- Completely THC-free (0.0 percent)
- Lab-tested and USDA-certified
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil
Review: Pet owners say the Joy Organics CBD oil is a “great product” with “excellent taste and effects”. They are also happy with the customer service. Overall, Joy Organics is the best CBD oil with organic ingredients for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Penelope’s Bloom is a CBD brand that cares and it works with sustainable ingredients, uses recycled packaging materials, and donates to animal shelters. The Penelope’s Bloom CBD Treats are made specifically for joint issues. With 20 mg of CBD per treat, they are ideal for large and giant dogs with arthritic joints.
- Made of full-spectrum hemp CBD oil
- Oven-baked with excellent CBD potency
- With turmeric root and chondroitin
- Recycled and eco-friendly package
- Long customer service response time
Review: Pet owners say they “highly recommend” the Penelope’s Bloom CBD treats. They mention their dogs have” a little more pep to step” after using. Overall, Penelope’s Bloom is the best potency CBD treats for dogs with arthritis.
Summary: Petly CBD is relatively new to the CBD pet market but it has already proven its reputability. Petly CBD offers a large selection of CBD pet products. The Petly CBD Food Topper features high-grade, broad-spectrum CBD oil and comes in the form of powder with 20 mg of CBD per scoop. All you need to do is scoop and pour over the dog’s food.
- Vet-approved CBD dog product
- Rich in omega fatty acid
- Delicious natural bacon flavor
- Free from fillers and allergens
- The powder tends to form clumps
Review: Pet owners say the Petly CBD Food Topper “really helps” and that “dogs love the bacon flavor”. Overall, Petly CBD is the best CBD food topper for dogs with arthritis.
How to Use CBD for Dogs With Arthritis
There is a variety of CBD pet products like oils to treats to food toppers. A recent survey showed that 60 percent of pet parents prefer using CBD treats over CBD oils.
CBD oils ensure a more effective oral dosing with quicker results and are cost-effective for larger dogs. However, many dogs have a hard time swallowing the bitter CBD oils. On the other hand, CBD treats are easy to use, as they usually feature dog-friendly flavors. Basically, the benefits of CBD oil are the fast results while the treats are easier to use.
Before using CBD talk to your vet. CBD affects liver enzymes (alkaline phosphatase) which may alter the metabolism of other drugs due to induction of cytochrome p450. This usually refers to meds for seizures and there is little evidence it affects meds for canine arthritis. Anyway, it is worth checking before starting to give your dog CBD pet oils or CBD dog treats.
CBD Dosage For Dogs With Arthritis
A general guideline is to fall within the range of 1-5 mg of CBD per 10lbs of body weight. At Honest Paws, we have a CBD oil for dogs dose calculator that factors in your dog’s size and weight for the perfect recommended dose.
Many brands also offer different potency levels of CBD oil. The strength of CBD oil you choose will also impact the dosage you give your dog. Here is a breakdown of the amount of CBD in each of our oils here at Honest Paws:
- Our 125 mg strength bottle of CBD oil for small dogs under 25lbs contains 4 mg of CBD oil in a full 1 mL dropper.
- Our 250 mg strength bottle of CBD oil for medium dogs around 25-50lbs contains 8 mg of CBD oil in a full 1 mL dropper.
- Our 500 mg strength bottle of CBD oil for large dogs over 50lbs contains 16 mg of CBD oil in a full 1 mL dropper.
- Our 10000 mg strength bottle of CBD oil for extra strength contains 33 mg of CBD oil in a full 1 mL dropper.
There can be mild adverse side effects of CBD oil in dogs after the first dosage, such as diarrhea, lethargy, dry mouth, and lowered blood pressure. The good news is a dog cannot overdose on CBD oil. So, if you give your dog too much CBD you may see some adverse effects, but hemp-derived CBD cannot kill your dog.
As a rule of thumb, it is always best to start with a lower dose of CBD and work your way up to the recommended amount which will reduce the risk of potential side effects. Once you have found the perfect dose for your pet, administer it daily to see an improvement in your dog’s quality of life and arthritis symptoms.
The Benefits of CBD For Dogs With Arthritis
The health benefits of CBD oil and related products for arthritis are based on their ability to relieve pain and manage inflammation. These effects are proven by numerous studies, and early research on the use of CBD products in arthritic dogs shows promising results.
Animal studies show that CBD can prevent pain. Namely, CBD interacts with the vanilloid TRPV1 receptors in the brain which are critical for the pathways of pain signals. This results in decreased acute, chronic, and neuropathic pain. The anti- inflammatory benefits of CBD are well-proven as well. Recent research shows that CBD manages inflammation on several levels and is therefore popularly called a novel anti-inflammatory drug.
Plus, as a natural remedy, CBD does not cause adverse side effects. A clinical study from the Colorado State University showed that “CBD is a well-tolerated supplement.” The dogs in the study population did not experience side effects due to CBD oil use.
Finally, in addition to helping with arthritis, the use of CBD will have a positive impact on anxiety and will boost the dog’s immune system.
What Kind of CBD Oil is Best for Dogs With Arthritis?
The best CBD oil for dogs with arthritis is the Honest Paws mobility CBD oil. To understand the science behind this choice, let’s make a systematic review of the features of a high-quality CBD oil:
- Full-spectrum. Full-spectrum oils are a better option than isolates and broad-spectrum oils because they contain lesser quantities of other cannabinoids. The carrier oil matters too and needs to be MCT coconut oil, hemp seed oil, or olive oil.
- Hemp plant extract. Pet CBD must be made from hemp to avoid psychotropic effects of certain cannabinoids. Hemp contains less than 0.3 percent THC, while medical marijuana (which humans use) is rich in THC (THC is toxic to dogs and cats).
- Organic CBD oil. The hemp must be organically grown. Nutraceutical derivatives of industrial hemp pose a risk as they can be contaminated with pesticides and other chemicals. For maximum purity, the oil should be extracted with the supercritical CO2 extraction method.
- Natural ingredients. The CBD oil will be enriched with natural and condition-specific ingredients. In the case of arthritis, such ingredients include glucosamine, chondroitin, fish oil, vitamin C, turmeric.
As you can see, the Honest Paws Mobility CBD Oil and the Mobility CBD Soft Chews check these quality boxes. Plus, the brand is trustworthy and reliable. The 5-star ratings and over 113K satisfied customers are excellent proof of the brand’s reputability.
- Full Spectrum CBD Oil
- Third-Party Tested
- Formulated to Relieve Joint Pain and Inflammation
- Formulated for Joint Pain and Inflammation
- Made with Full Spectrum CBD Oil
- Third Party Tested
Treatment Options for Dogs With Arthritis
Canine arthritis is a complex condition with progressing nature. Inflammation and pain management are the two goals of arthritis treatment. Below is an overview of the different treatment options.
- Prescription medications. The standard inflammation and pain medication for arthritis is the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). However, if they do not yield an adequate relief of pain or are causing severe side effects (long-term use of NSAIDs is risky), the vet will recommend other pain meds such as opioids and gabapentin.
- Joint supplements. These supplements provide joint support by nurturing the cartilage, managing inflammation, and providing pain relief. Chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine are the most popular joint supplements.
- Physical therapy. The ideal physical therapy option for arthritic dogs is hydrotherapy (swimming and underwater treadmills). Such activities will keep the dog active and strengthen its musculoskeletal structures without putting too much pressure on the dog’s joints.
What is the Best Treatment for Arthritis in Dogs?
The best medical treatment of a lameness caused by canine arthritis requires a multimodal approach. Most veterinarians will recommend combining the CBD oil treatment with other approaches to ensure pain relief and decrease inflammatory responses fueling arthritic changes.
In general, you need to offer a high-quality diet and keep your dog active to manage healthy body weight. Physical therapy counts as a good activity option. Continuous supplementation with CBD products and joint supplements will help in the long run. If necessary medical support (anti-pain meds) can be added to the regimen.
Dog Arthritis: Signs & Symptoms
Canine arthritis is common in veterinary medicine, especially among older dogs of certain breeds. The condition is linked with chronic inflammation, persistent pain, and impaired mobility. Arthritis is not a fatal condition but it harms the dog’s quality of life. A dog with arthritis cannot be cured, but with the right approach, its symptoms can be managed.
Causes of Arthritis in Dogs
Arthritis occurs when the cartilage cushioning the joints gets damaged. Once damaged, it cannot perform its roles and the two bone surfaces forming the joint begin to rub causing inflammation. The inflammation aggravates the situation as it contributes to more severe joint damage. Such changes can be caused by the following:
- Natural wear and tear. As dogs get older, their joints will experience such changes as a result of the prolonged rubbing. Obviously, this cause of arthritis is more common in older dogs and seniors.
- Orthopedic health problems. Pre-existing orthopedic issues (hip dysplasia, torn CCL) trigger joint changes and increase the dog’s chances of developing arthritis. This cause is not age-related.
Signs Your Dog has Arthritis and What to do
The telltale signs and symptoms of arthritis include:
- Lameness or limping
- Difficulty getting up and/or jumping
- Trouble going up and down stairs
- Disinterest in physical activity
- Lethargy or depression
- Irritability and moodiness
- Decreased appetite
- Inability to squat and defecate
- Whining and crying
- Pain upon touching the joints.
If your dog shows some of these signs, you need to be proactive – call the vet and schedule an appointment. Arthritis is a fast-progressing condition and the sooner you get on top of things the better.