CBD oils for horses is a natural extract from hemp that contains cannabidiol. CBD Oils for horses is a safe, health-boosting, non-psychoactive, and non-addictive compound. CBD oil is an extract from the Cannabis Sativa L plant that contains more than 100 active properties called cannabinoids. Cannabis plants come in several strains, such as hemp, marijuana, and ruderalis.
Hemp is rich in healthy cannabinoids that are non-psychoactive and non-addictive. Marijuana is high in THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is psychoactive and toxic to horses.
CBD oil for horses and pets is made from hemp and contains less than 0.3% THC. CBD oil for horses promotes health and wellness and works by interacting with the endocannabinoid (ECS) system.
The ECS is present in all mammals and is responsible for regulating critical systems in the body, such as the cardiovascular system, immune system, and central nervous system. The ECS comprises cannabinoid receptors and self-made cannabinoids, and CBD oil for horses and mammals mimics the ECS to produce a sense of wellness and balance.
Cannabidiol for horses has three main health benefits such as pain relief, anxiety control, and inflammation reduction. Horse CBD is natural and safe to combine with other mainstream medications.
The recommended daily dose of CBD oil for horses is between 20 and 60 mg per day, but there are no clear dosing guidelines, and the amount is able to be modified based on the horse’s needs. Horses have a slow metabolism and require less CBD than other mammals because horses are able to ingest CBD oil more slowly and effectively. Rub the CBD oil on the horse’s gums for maximum efficacy.
Innovet CBD Oil for Horses is a 100% organic and full-spectrum hemp CBD rich in naturally occurring phytocannabinoids or cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids. Terpenes affect the taste and smell of the hemp plant. Flavonoids support the cardiovascular system. The terpenes, flavonoids, and cannabinoids interact with the ECS and produce a full entourage effect. An entourage effect means the combination of ingredients produces optimal results compared to individual use.
Innovet CBD Oil for Horses is made with supercritical CO2 (carbon dioxide) extraction and features organic virgin hemp seed oil as a carrier. The CBD oil for horses comes in bottles with different CBD concentrations: 1500 mg of CBD per bottle, 3000 mg of CBD per bottle, and 6000 mg per bottle.
Innovet CBD Oil for Horses is independently and third-party laboratory tested for quality and safety. The oil is sourced and made in the USA and is free from GMO ingredients (genetically modified organisms), additives, and preservatives.
The oil is for horses of all ages and is efficient for pain control, relieves anxiety, and reduces joint pain and inflammation.
The main pros of Innovet CBD Oil for Horses are the full-spectrum extract, the high concentration of cannabinoids, and the inclusion of hemp seed oil as a carrier. The only con is the non flavored formulation, which is able to repel horses from taking the oil.
The high concentration of CBD in the product means Innovet CBD Oil is ideal for horses. The brand recommends a starting dose of 3 drops, a standard dose of 12 drops, and a strong dose of 66 drops from the 6000 mg bottle for the average 1000-pound horse. A detailed dosing chart is available on the brand’s website.
Innovet CBD Oil for Horses costs $129.00.
Innovet CBD Oil for Horses has an excellent rating of 4.9 stars and plenty of satisfied customers. The brand is reliable, and the products are of the utmost quality. Innovet CBD Oil for Horses is the best product due to its efficacy, affordability, and easy availability.
“Ordered and started using the CBD oil for horses last year. Now trying out the PCR pellets and hoping they are just as high quality of a product. We’re recommending this shop for horse CBD products now. Pretty fast shipping as well.”
The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses 5000mg is a premium quality CBD supplement featuring three ingredients: cannabidiol (CBD), MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil from coconut oil as a carrier, and horse-friendly apple flavoring.
The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses 5000mg is extracted from organic hemp locally grown in the USA. The CBD oil is free from THC and contains as much as 5000 mg of healthy CBD per bottle.
The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses is competitively priced. The brand offers free shipping in America and a full refund guaranteed within 30 days of the CBD purchase for unsatisfied customers.
The product works great for horses suffering from pain, anxiety, and inflammation and is suitable for horses of all ages.
The pros of the cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses are the high concentration of cannabidiol and the use of apple flavor, which horses love. The main con is that the product is often out of stock due to high demand.
The manufacturer recommends a daily dose of one milliliter of CBD oils for horses to start. Horse owners are encouraged to modify the dose once the horse gets used to the supplement.
The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses is available at a price of $239.99.
The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses is a premium quality product with many satisfied customers who recommend the supplement to other horse owners. The cbdMD CBD Oil for Horses is the most delicious CBD product due to the inclusion of horse-friendly apple flavor.
“No problems ordering, having it shipped to my residence, to opening the bottle…the whole process was flawless. The CBD oil has done wonders.”
Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses is a full-spectrum whole-plant hemp extract rich in naturally occurring cannabinoids and terpenes. Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses is suitable for anxious horses and horses with joint pain.
The product is made with MCT oil from non-GMO coconuts, and the hemp used is single-sourced from a small family-owned farm in Boulder, Colorado.
The Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses features 1500 mg of CBD per bottle. The oil is third-party laboratory tested for safety, quality, and ingredient concentration. The CBD oils for horses are made in the USA.
The oil is suitable for horses of all ages and works well for issues such as pain control, anxiety relief, and reduced inflammation.
The top three pros of Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses are high-quality hemp sourcing, full-spectrum formula, and budget-friendly prices. The lack of added horse-friendly flavor is the only con of the oil.
The brand recommends a starting dose of 0.5 ml or half dropper for ponies under 600 pounds and 1.0 ml or one full dropper for adult horses over 600 pounds.
The Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses costs $149.99 per bottle.
The Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses has thousands of excellent reviews and happy customers. Dr. Robert J. Silver, DVM, describes the product as a game changer. The Bailey’s CBD Oil for Horses offers the best buy now, pay later policy.
“Bailey’s products are high quality, well packaged, and well priced. Bailey’s staff are helpful and considerate. Great team. Highly recommend to others.”
Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses is a concentrated broad-spectrum CBD oil extracted with supercritical CO2 for maximum purity and hemp seed oil as a carrier.
Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses is made with 100% natural ingredients and features up to 7500 mg of CBD per bottle. The high concentration makes the oil suitable for large horses with laminitis and colic episodes.
Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses is available in a convenient dropper bottle. The CBD product is manufactured in the USA, third-party laboratory tested for safety and quality, and is free from additives and preservatives.
The product works for pain control, relieves anxiety, and reduces inflammation while being fit for horses of all ages.
The main pros of the Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses are the use of hemp seed oil as a carrier and the lack of potentially harmful additives and preservatives. The only con is the extract type, using a broad instead of full-spectrum formula.
The manufacturer recommends 1.0 ml of CBD oil for horses weighing less than 660 pounds, 2.0 ml for horses weighing between 660 and 1110 pounds, and 3.0 ml for horses weighing over 1110 pounds.
The Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses comes at a price of $194.95.
The Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses is a highly potent supplement with many positive reviews. Customers are pleased with the oil’s practicality and ease of use. The Holistapet CBD Oil for Horses is the strongest option on the list and best for large, heavy horse breeds.
“Great product, experience, and fast shipping.”
“The customer service with HolistaPet is outstanding.”
“Website is very informative and easy to use.”
NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil is a premium quality, full-spectrum, whole-plant extract highly concentrated in cannabidiol or CBD, NuLeaf CBD Oil is rich in secondary cannabinoids such as cannabichromene (CBC), which supports brain function and reduces inflammation, cannabigerol (CBG) which soothes anxiety, and cannabinol (CBN) for relaxation.
The oil is made from hemp grown in Colorado with pristine rocky mountain water and harvested at the peak growth time. The CBD is extracted through a supercritical CO2 method for best purity and potency.
The NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil features organic virgin hemp seed oil as a carrier and comes with a potency of 1800 mg of CBD per bottle. The brand offers a 60-day money-back guarantee.
The product reduces pain and inflammation and helps relieve anxiety. The oil is fit to use in horses of all ages.
The top three pros of NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil are the use of the CO2 extraction method, full-spectrum formula, and affordable price. The only con is that the product is often out of stock on online platforms due to high demand.
The brand recommends a dose of CBD oil for horses of between half and one full dropper a day based on the underlying condition for using the oil. NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil is ideal for horses due to the high concentration of CBD in the product.
The NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil is available for $89.00 per bottle.
The NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil has a customer rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars and plenty of satisfied pet owners. The product is well-crafted and easy to use. The NuLeaf Pet CBD Oil is the most affordable CBD oil for horses and the best for customers on a budget.
“This is my first pet cbd purchase from NuLeaf Naturals. So far, it seems to be working well.”
“Great quality products.”
What is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is an extract from the cannabis plant that contains more than 100 active ingredients called cannabinoids. The cannabis plant includes various strains, such as hemp, marijuana, and ruderalis, and each has a unique cannabinoid or phytocannabinoid profile.
Hemp is rich in healthy cannabinoids that are non-psychoactive and non-addictive. THC in marijuana is psychoactive and dangerous in horses.
CBD oil for horses and pets is made from hemp and contains less than 0.3% of THC. CBD oil for horses promotes health and wellness. CBD oil for horses does not cause overdoses.
Horse owners looking for a natural health and wellness supplement for horses ask, “What is CBD?“ The United Kingdom VMD, Veterinary Medicines Directorate, classifies cannabidiol or CBD as a veterinary medicine.
How Can CBD Oil Help Horses?
CBD oil helps horses through the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a complex cell signaling network that manages many body functions and supports health and balance. CBD oil for horses positively and naturally enhances the function of the ECS.
The endocannabinoid system consists of three components listed below.
- Endocannabinoids: Endocannabinoids or endogenous cannabinoids are neurotransmitters synthesized within the body and bind with the cannabinoid receptors.
- Cannabinoid Receptors: There are two types of cannabinoid receptors: CB1 receptors, present in the central and peripheral nervous system, and CB2 receptors, present in the immune system’s peripheral tissues of the immune system.
- Enzymes: Enzymes are necessary for the synthesis and degradation of endocannabinoids
Endocannabinoids bind with the cannabinoid receptors to support body functions. CBD oil for horses replaces endogenous cannabinoids and interacts with the receptors.
Cannabinoids work independently from the ECS in humans and animals. CBD for animals affects the levels of some neurotransmitters in the body and prevents the breakdown of endogenous cannabinoids to promote optimum performance in essential body functions.
What are the Different Horses’ Ailments and Diseases?
Different ailments and diseases in horses are listed and reviewed below.
- Equine Influenza (Flu): Equine influenza, popularly known as the flu, is an exceptionally infectious disease that weakens the horse’s condition. Common signs of flu in horses are nasal discharge, coughing, fever, and appetite loss. CBD oil for horses interacts with ECS to boost the immune system.
- Equine Herpesvirus (Rhinopneumonitis): EHV, or equine herpesvirus, is a highly contagious disease that causes respiratory infections, abortions, and paralysis. EHV is potentially fatal in young horses.
- Equine Encephalomyelitis (Sleeping Sickness): Sleeping sickness is a potentially fatal disease that attacks the central nervous system and is spread through mosquitoes. Walking blindly into objects and excitable or compulsive behavior are the main symptoms.
- Equine Infectious Anemia Virus: EIA or equine infectious anemia is a viral disease causing depression, reduced stamina, lack of appetite, rapid weight loss, and fever. EIA is potentially fatal.
- West Nile Virus: West Nile virus, or WNV, causes encephalomyelitis, which is inflammation of the brain and spine and is transmitted via mosquitoes. Lack of coordination in the hind limbs is a telltale sign of WNV in horses.
- Streptococcus Equi (Strangles): Strangles is a bacterial disease and is deadly in some horses. The infection is more frequent in young horses and manifests with nasal discharge, coughing, fever, loss of appetite, trouble swallowing, and enlarged lymph nodes whose pressure impairs breathing.
- Tetanus (Lockjaw): Tetanus is caused by Clostridium tetani, which enters the horse’s body through deep wounds, such as wire injuries, dropped nails, and surgical sites. Tetanus causes muscle spasms and paralysis, excessive sensitivity to loud noises or sudden movements, and high fever. Death occurs if the muscle paralysis spreads to the chest, causing asphyxiation.
- Equine Rabies: Rabies is a fatal disease caused by a virus transmitted through bites from infected animals. Bats, raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes are common culprits for spreading the disease.
- Potomac Horse Fever: Potomac horse fever or PHF typically occurs in the summer and manifests with increased body temperature, lameness, and diarrhea. PHF is deadly in some cases.
- Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis: EPM is equine protozoal myeloencephalitis, a central nervous system infection causing neurological issues such as ataxia (asymmetric incoordination), weakness, and spasticity. Further study is required to determine if CBD oil for horses is beneficial for the ailments and diseases listed above.
What are the Benefits of CBD Oil for Horses?
The benefits of CBD oil for horses are proven to control pain, reduce inflammation, and relieve anxiety.
The benefits of CBD oil for horses are listed and reviewed below.
- Pain Control: Cannabidiol has strong analgesic features and has been successfully used to relieve pain in horses with mechanical allodynia and laminitis. Researchers are investigating CBD’s anti-pain effect on horses with colic episodes due to the large number of cannabinoid receptors in the ileum or small intestine.
- Reduced Inflammation: CBD oil for horses reduces cytokines, proteins that signal inflammation, and COX-2, enzymes that support inflammation. CBD oil for horses helps with “inflammageing,” a specific type of chronic and low-grade inflammation occurring with old age.
- Anxiety Relief: Cannabidiol oil for horses relieves stress and supports calmness and relaxation. Horses, especially stable-kept and competition horses, show anxiety-related signs such as pacing, windsucking, and cribbling. Anxiety causes sleep deprivation, thus affecting the horse’s athletic performance. Research into the benefits of CBD to animals is continuing and promising.
What are the Side Effects of CBD Oil for Horses?
The side effects of CBD oil for horses are lethargy, dry mouth, and slightly elevated liver enzymes.
The side effects of CBD Oil for horses are listed below.
- Lethargy: CBD oil for horses triggers lethargy and makes horses disinterested in everyday activities and feel sleepy. Lethargy is one of the temporary side effects of CBD to animals and horses and resolves once the horse gets used to the CBD supplement and the correct CBD dosage is established.
- Dry Mouth: Cannabidiol inhibits normal saliva production, resulting in dry mouth or xerostomia. A dry mouth is not dangerous but is quite uncomfortable. Ensure plenty of easily accessible and fresh drinking water for the horse to drink and combat the dry mouth.
- Elevated Liver Enzymes: Recent studies show that CBD causes mildly elevated liver enzymes, which affect how the horse metabolizes certain drugs. Liver enzyme elevation is associated with high doses between 8 and 16 times higher than the recommended CBD amount of CBD oil for horses.
How Can CBD Oil Work with Horses’ Anxiety?
CBD oil works with horses’ anxiety by working with the ECS to support natural calmness and relaxation. The anti-anxiety effects of CBD oil for horses are demonstrated in several studies and involve different stress triggers.
The Journal of Veterinary Behavior issued a paper, “The effects of pelleted cannabidiol supplementation on heart rate and reaction scores in horses,” in 2021. The study involved 17 geldings divided into two groups: control and treatment. The treatment group was given 100 mg of CBD once a day. The researchers observed the horses’ reactivity to novel objects and found that the treatment group “exhibited less reactivity after 6 weeks of supplementation.”
HempMy Pet and Tarleton University conducted a Cannabidiol (CBD) equine study in 2022 to determine the potential calming effect of cannabidiol for horses during transportation. The study found that CBD oil calms horses during transportation and that “higher doses of CBD (.6mg/kg of body weight) are more effective overall compared to lower doses of CBD (.3mg/kg of body weight).”
Elsevier published a study titled “The use of cannabidiol as a novel treatment for oral stereotypic behavior (crib-biting) in a horse” in 2023. The study was performed on a 22-year-old mare exhibiting crib-biting and wind-sucking due to chronic stress. The mare was supplemented with 0.5 mg of CBD per kilogram per day for one month. The manifestation of stress signs was significantly reduced during the trial.
How Can CBD Oil Work with Horse Pain and Inflammation?
CBD oil for horses works with horses’ pain and inflammation through its analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects.
Equine Veterinary Education published a study, “Treatment using cannabidiol in a horse with mechanical allodynia,” 2019. The study was performed on a 4-year-old mare with extreme mechanical allodynia, a pain triggered by non-painful stimuli like stroking or brushing in the shoulder region. The mare experienced significant pain relief after receiving CBD two times a day.
The positive effect of CBD oil for horses with chronic pain was shown in another study, “Equine Research on the Short-Term Effects of Cannabidiol for the Treatment of Chronic Pain and/or Anxiety,” by researchers from the Washington State University and Johns Hopkins University. The study was performed on 41 horses that were given two daily oral CBD doses of 50 mg over the course of two weeks.
D. Ryan and collaborators in “Pharmacokinetics and effects on arachidonic acid metabolism of low doses of cannabidiol following oral administration to horses” showed that CBD affects COX-1, COX-2, and LOX enzymes, which regulate inflammation.
A study, “The effects of cannabidiol on immune function and health parameters in senior horses,” from 2023, reported that CBD“ reduced the production of certain inflammatory markers with no negative side effects.” The trial included 13 horses supplemented with CBD for horses for 90 days.
How to Choose the Right CBD Oil for Your Horses?
Things to consider when choosing the right CBD oil for horses are listed and reviewed below.
- Extract Type. CBD oil for horses is available in three primary forms: full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolates. Full-spectrum oils are the most potent and contain various cannabinoids and ingredients with an entourage effect; broad-spectrum oils contain fewer CBDs, and isolate features only one cannabinoid.
- Source. CBD oil for horses must always be sourced from hemp and contain less than 0.3% of THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. Hemp is rich in CBDs and low in THC, while marijuana is high in THC. Tetrahydrocannabinol is the psychoactive ingredient that makes people “high” and is toxic to horses.
- Extraction Method. Cannabinoids are extracted from hemp using several methods, such as hydrocarbon, ethanol, and steam distillation. Supercritical CO2 extraction ensures the highest purity and is considered the best extraction method.
- Concentration. CBD oil for horses comes in various concentrations. Choose an oil with high potency for more straightforward use and better cost efficiency in horses. CBD Oil with 20 to 60 milligrams of CBD per milliliter is ideal CBD oil for horses.
- Certificate of Analysis. The Certificate of Analysis, or COA, is a report issued by a third-party laboratory that tests the CBD product’s concentration of ingredients, safety, and purity. The COA confirms that the product is free from THC and other potentially dangerous ingredients such as pesticides, metals, and GMO ingredients.
- Brand. Research the brand in depth when choosing CBD products for animals. Reputable pet CBD brands are transparent about ingredients and manufacturing practices used to make the CBD oil for horses. Read reviews from previous customers to learn more about the brand.
What is the Right Dosage of CBD Oil Best for Horses?
The right dosage of CBD Oil best for horses with behavior problems is between 20 and 30 mg of CBD per day. The right dosage of CBD oil for horses with pain issues is 50 to 60 mg, once or twice per day.
The highest safe average daily amount of CBD is called the tolerable upper intake level (UL) and is not yet established for horses. Most studies show that doses of CBD oil for horses of 2 mg per kilogram are safe for horses of all ages.
The average horse weighing 500 kg or 1100 pounds is able to safely consume 250 to 1000 milligrams of CBD per day, depending on the underlying cause and general health of the horse.
Start with a lower CBD dose and gradually increase the amount to allow the horse’s body to get used to the new supplement. Consult a veterinarian or use a CBD dosage calculator if unsure of the correct starting CBD oil dose.
How to Give CBD Oil to Horses?
To give CBD oil to horses, follow the instructions below.
- Give CBD Oils. CBD oil is the most potent option for horses and is removed directly from the hemp plant’s flower, stalks, leaves, and seeds. CBD oil for horses is applied directly into the mouth, rubbed on the gums, or mixed with food.
- Use CBD Tinctures. CBD tinctures are less potent than oils and typically mixed with a solvent, such as alcohol. Give the CBD tincture the same way as oils, directly or mixed with horse feed.
- Add Edible CBD Products. Pellets and treats are infused with pure and high-quality CBD oil. Edible CBD products for horses are slow-acting compared to oil but are very practical and simple to use.
- Apply Topical CBD Products. Use topical CBD products for horses to help with joint discomfort and muscle tension. Popular CBD topicals for horses include gels, creams, lotions, rollers, salves, and sprays.
How Long Would CBD Oil Take Effect on Horses?
CBD Oil would take effect in horses within 15 to 90 minutes after dosing, depending on the method of administration.
Giving CBD oil for horses directly into the horse’s mouth or onto the gums is the fastest delivery route and takes effect between 15 to 60 minutes.
Mixing CBD oil for horses with food or giving CBD treats achieves a slower effect, requiring anywhere between 45 and 90 minutes to start working.
Will the Horse Get High After Receiving CBD Oil?
No, the horse will not get high after receiving CBD oil extracted from hemp.
CBD oil for horses does not cause a “high” sensation because pet CBD products are sourced from the hemp variation of the cannabis plant, and hemp is free from THC or tetrahydrocannabinol.
THC is the psychoactive substance responsible for the “high” feeling and is only found in the marijuana strain of the cannabis plant.
The Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) classifies CBD as a banned substance and prohibits its use in competition horses.
Will the Horse Have a Dry Mouth Effect After Taking CBD Oil?
Yes, the horse will have a dry mouth effect after taking CBD oil for horses. CBD inhibits the production of saliva, which causes dry mouth or xerostomia.
Dry mouth in horses is not dangerous, but it is uncomfortable. Provide plenty of fresh drinking water to counter the dry mouth CBD side effects.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Horses?
Yes, CBD oil is safe for horses. Alicia Yocum, a DVM from Colorado State University, studied the safety of CBD on 12 mixed-breed horses for six weeks. The study determined, “No adverse effects were seen with daily monitoring, physical exam or behavior.”
“Pharmacokinetics and effects on arachidonic acid metabolism of low doses of cannabidiol following oral administration to horses,” determined “Cannabidiol was well tolerated with no significant behavioral, gastrointestinal, or cardiac abnormalities observed.”
Pet owners often ask, “Is CBD safe for animals?” The answer is yes. CBD oil for horses made from hemp (with less than 0.3% THC) and third-party lab tested is perfectly safe and comes with several health benefits.