Best CBD Oil for Cats With Kidney Disease at a Glance
How does CBD Oil for Cats With Kidney Disease Work?
CBD for cats with kidney disease works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS). To simplify things, let’s start by explaining two important terms – CBD and ECS.
CBD or cannabidiol is a compound extracted from the hemp variant of the Cannabis sativa plant. Cannabinoids have strong medicinal properties and have been used for their health-boosting effects for years.
The ECS is present in all mammals and is composed of endocannabinoids – a group of neurotransmitters that affect many biological processes. Some of the biological processes influenced by the ECS include mood, fertility, pain, anxiety, appetite, inflammation, metabolism, memory, and general health and well-being.
The system also contains receptors to which the endocannabinoids attach. Receptors are points in the body to which a chemical such as CBD attaches to exert its effects. Of all the different types of receptors in the system, two have been studied extensively – CB1 and CB2 receptors.
CBD replaces the body’s endocannabinoids and binds with the ECS receptors. By acting on these receptors, CBD may be able to relieve signs and symptoms of kidney disease in cats.
Does CBD oil Help Cats With Kidney Disease?
However, we should note that the use of CBD oil is not FDA-approved in pets. Therefore, before adding CBD to your cat’s kidney disease treatment plan, you need to talk to your veterinarian. Since vets are not at liberty to recommend CBD, you may need to find a holistic vet.
Is CBD Oil Safe for Kidneys?
Yes, CBD is generally safe for both humans and pets when used following the manufacturer’s recommendations. In fact, not only is CBD safe for consumption, but it may also provide health benefits.
Plus, do not worry – a pet CBD oil will not make your cat “high.” Unlike the typical medical marijuana, pet CBD products are made from the hemp variant of the cannabis plant and do not contain THC as a psychoactive compound.
The Best CBD Oil for Cats With Kidney Disease
The modern market offers hundreds of different CBD pet products. With so many CBD brands and supplements emerging every day, finding the right CBD oil for your cat can be tricky. To simplify the search process, we have reviewed the best CBD oils for cats with kidney disease.
Summary: Honest Paws is America’s favorite and most reliable pet CBD brand. The Honest Paws CBD oil is a full-spectrum CBD made from organic, Colorado-grown hemp plants. The CBD oil is rich in terpenes and has strong anti-pain and anti-inflammatory features, thus being perfect for cats with kidney disease.
- Full-spectrum hemp oil
- Non-GMO and free from soy and gluten
- Practical bottle dropper
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: Pet owners say the Honest Paws CBD oil “works great,” and their cats “feel less distressed and are much happier” after using the product. All in all, Honest Paws has the best CBD oil for cats with kidney disease.
Summary: Joy Organics is a CBD brand that makes organic and premium-quality pet CBD products. The Joy Organics CBD oil is a simple formula made with organic olive oil and broad-spectrum hemp extract. The anti-inflammatory properties make the oil suitable for cats suffering from kidney disease.
- Cannabinoid-rich CBD tincture
- With organic olive oil as a carrier
- 0.0% THC (tetrahydrocannabinol)
- 90-days satisfaction guarantee
- Broad-spectrum hemp extract
Review: Pet owners say the Joy Organics “makes a difference” and “works really fast.” They describe the product as a “wonderful tincture.” All in all, Joy Organics offers CBD oil with the best natural ingredients for cats with kidney disease.
Summary: Petly CBD is a new but reliable pet CBD brand. The Petly CBD oil is a simple formula made with phytocannabinoid-rich, broad-spectrum hemp, and MCT coconut oil as a carrier. The CBD oil is non-GMO and made of 100% organic hemp. The unique blend of cannabinoids makes the oil helpful for cats with chronic kidney disease.
- Made from 100% organically grown hemp
- Feline-friendly dropper
- Third-party lab tested
- Affordable subscription options
- Not a full-spectrum formula
Review: Cat owners say the Extract Labs CBD oil “works well,” and cats “seem to like the product.” They also say they “would buy again.” All in all, Extract Labs offers the best value for CBD oil for cats with seizures.
Summary: cbdMD is a CBD brand that offers natural solutions for common health problems. The cbdMD CBD oil is a superior broad-spectrum CBD formula with added cannabinoids. The oil is vegan and free from artificial additives. Available in two different concentrations and flavors, the oil is suitable for all cats with kidney disease.
- Added cannabinoids (CBG and CBN)
- Vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO
- Completely THC-free formula
- Third-party lab-tested
- Broad-spectrum CBD formula
Review: Pet owners say the cbdMD CBD oil is a “lifesaver” and “would recommend.” They also say that “the catnip flavor is a hit.” All in all, cbdMD offers the most options for CBD oil for cats with kidney disease.
Summary: cbdMD was founded by Martin Sumichrast and Scott Coffman from North Carolina. The cbdMD oil is a high-quality CBD oil made with top-notch ingredients. The use of the oil is simple – it has a bacon flavor, and the dropper is conveniently marked. The CBDfx CBD oil is excellent for cats with kidney disease, especially if the owners are on a budget.
- Human-grade, organic, and vegan
- Sustainably sourced hemp plants
- Dog-friendly bacon flavor
- Clearly marked bottle dropper
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil formula
Review: Cat owners say the CBDfx is a “great product” that makes a “big improvement.” They say their pets are “happier and healthier” after using the product. All in all, CBDfx is the best broad-spectrum CBD formula for cats with kidney disease.
How to Use CBD Oil for Cats With Kidney Disease
Like most forms of medication, CBD oil is best administered in small regular doses. Again, your CBD product of choice should have directions on how to administer CBD but if there are none, consult your vet. Most products recommend giving CBD every 8 to 24 hours.
The method of administration will depend on what form the CBD is in. For example, CBD oils kick in really fast, but dosing can be hard because of their bitter taste. In contrast, CBD treats taste great but need more time to start working. If using CBD oil, you can mask its presence by adding it to cat food.
Regardless of the CBD form, you need to make sure you are buying a high-quality pet product. Namely, the CBD oil must be full-spectrum hemp CBD oil (not hemp seed oil) and made from organic (not industrial hemp).
Finally, do not forget to consult with a veterinarian before giving your cat CBD. Although safe, CBD may interact with certain medications (for example, with anti-epilepsy drugs).
CBD Dosage For Cats With Kidney Disease
Since CBD is not a certified treatment for kidney disease, there are no official dosages for effective treatment. The CBD product you choose will most likely have instructions on what dosage is best for your cat. If so, follow package instructions.
The general rule is to give your cat between 1 and 5 mg of CBD oil per 10 pounds of body weight daily. For example, for our CBD oils at Honest Paws, the recommended dosage for a cat is one dropper a day, from a 125mg potency, which translates to 4mg of CBD a day.
As a general rule of the thumb, start with smaller amounts and then gradually increase the dose. Also, do not worry if you accidentally give your cat too much CBD, as cats cannot overdose on this natural remedy.
The Benefits of CBD For Cats With Kidney Disease
Even though the research on CBD is still in its infancy, anecdotal experiences by cat owners have demonstrated that the effects of CBD are beneficial for cats with kidney disease.
Many cat owners have reported that CBD oil was instrumental in relieving cats of kidney disease symptoms such as vomiting, lack of appetite, pain, and anxiety.
Here is a list of the kidney disease-related health issues and symptoms CBD can help with:
- Loss of appetite. CBD oil could help improve appetite in cats with kidney disease since the system that regulates hunger in the body is affected by the ECS. CBD oil also affects sensory perception, in other words, how food tastes to your cat. Plus, CBD’s anti-nausea and anti-vomiting effects support a healthy appetite.
- Anxiety and Mood. One of the proposed ways in which CBD may reduce stress is through acting on a serotonin receptor known as the 5-HT-1 receptor. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter whose role in mood and cognitive function is well-documented. By acting on the same receptor as serotonin, CBD may help alleviate anxiety and improve mood in cats.
- Immunity. The research on CBD and immunity is not as concrete as that on its role in anxiety. However, it is suggested that CBD may support immune function by activating enzymes in disease-fighting cells such as macrophages.
- Inflammation. CBD has strong anti-inflammatory properties, and inflammation is an important component of kidney disease. Because of their ability to manage inflammatory processes, studies often refer to cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs.
Treatment Options for Cats with Kidney Disease
Currently, there is no known cure for kidney disease, particularly chronic kidney disease. However, some treatments can ease the signs and symptoms of the disease. Here are some of the possible treatments:
- Intravenous fluid therapy. To correct the imbalances and help the organism flush and get rid of the toxins. Also, the ensure faster distribution of the symptomatic therapy.
- Symptomatic support. Depending on the symptoms, it may include anti-inflammatories, pain medications, anti-nausea drugs, appetite stimulants, etc.
- Special kidney diet. Usually low-sodium with moderate protein content to avoid putting too much pressure on the kidneys.
- Dietary supplements. To support the kidney function or even the liver as it often gets overworked in patients with renal issues.
How CBD Compares to Alternative Cat Kidney Disease Treatments
How effective CBD is in comparison to other treatments will depend on the individual cat. It is difficult to say which therapy is best because different cats respond differently to a treatment. Besides, in the veterinary medicine field, many therapies are combined to give the best result.
However, CBD has the advantage of being non-invasive and easier to administer compared to other interventions like surgery and injectable drugs. Plus, it is a 100% natural option with minimal and benign side effects.
For better results, CBD is frequently paired with dietary changes. Studies show that cats with kidney disease can benefit from adequate intake of fluids and diets low in protein, sodium, and phosphorus and rich in essential fatty acids, especially omega-3 fatty acids.
Cat Kidney Disease: Signs & Symptoms
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a prevalent metabolic condition in domesticated cats. This medical condition is progressing, and if left untreated, it can culminate in kidney failure.
Even though this renal disease is common among felines, a single best treatment has not been developed. Some vets recommend medication, others nutritional changes, and some alternative approaches.
Causes of Kidney Disease in Cats
There are two main types of kidney disease classified according to how long the kidney disease takes to develop in the cat:
- Acute Kidney Disease
- Chronic Kidney Disease
Acute kidney disease develops in a relatively short period of time. It may take days or weeks to develop. This type of kidney disease can occur in cats of all ages and is usually onset by a sudden event.
Some of the causes of acute kidney disease include:
- Physical injury to the kidneys
- Severe dehydration
Chronic kidney disease, on the other hand, develops over long periods of time, is more common in older cats, and is usually more difficult to treat. The cause of chronic kidney disease is hard to determine since it develops over a long period.
Signs Your Cat has Kidney Disease and What to do
These are some of the most common clinical signs and symptoms of kidney disease in cats:
- Frequent urination and increased thirst. Given that urine production is the primary role of kidneys, urine production is likely to be compromised when the kidneys fail. This is a result of increased water loss that results from increased urination.
- Weight loss. Like any disease, kidney failure may cause appetite loss, resulting in a reduction in body weight if not remedied.
- Vomiting. Your cat may start vomiting, especially after meals. This can also result in weight loss in the long run.
- Change in sleeping pattern. Kidney disease will cause a decrease in energy levels which may cause your cat to sleep for longer hours.
- Lethargy. Cats with kidney disease, especially in the later stages, tend to become weaker. You may notice a reduced interest in playing and an increase in downtime. Increased blood pressure is also likely to occur.
- Bloody urine. If kidney disease is left untreated or progresses to more advanced stages, it may cause wounds in the urinary tract. These wounds may start to bleed, causing blood spots in urine.
- Enlarged and tender abdomen. Disease or injury to the kidneys may strain them, causing them to swell. This swelling is usually painful on compression.
- Frequent bacterial infections. As the kidneys weaken, the urine tract becomes more prone to attacks from bacteria and other pathogens, resulting in increased frequency and severity of infections.
If your cat is showing one or more of these signs and symptoms, seek veterinary attention. The sooner you initiate treatment, the better the potential outcome.