As one of the most popular online retailers of American pet products, Chewy carries a supply of various pet products. Whether you are familiar with Chewy or if you are one of the new customers, this is your guide to Chewy. We will tell you more about what they have to offer and what pet owners have to say about them.
Chewy was a big hit with our team at Veterinarians.org.
- Pet owners can visit the Chewy pet store at chewy.com
- Chewy also owns private brands of pet food
- Their pet supplies list includes pet food, treats, toys and accessories
- The Chewy pharmacy offers an array of supplements and medications for boosting pet wellness
- Chewy is focused on making pet care and wellness a priority
What is Chewy?
Chewy is one of the largest American pet products online retailers with headquarters in Dania Beach, Florida. The 10-year old brand was founded by Ryan Cohen and Michael Day with one mission – “to be the most trusted and convenient online destination for pet parents (and partners), everywhere.” After three months of dedicated work, Chewy grew from an online pet store to a pet-supplies business with over 45.000 pet products – some made by or exclusively for Chewy and others only sold through the site.
- Made in the USA by a family-owned company using quality ingredients from trusted domestic and global sources.
- With real pasture-raised lamb as the #1 ingredient, this recipe helps support bones, joints and lean, strong muscles.
- Crafted with lamb protein and moderate levels of fat to provide your dog with the nutrients she needs to stay active. This recipe also contains omega fatty acids for skin and coat health and features vitamins and minerals from superfood fruits like blueberries and oranges.
- Each serving includes species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics, plus antioxidants and prebiotics to help support healthy digestion, immune system health and overall wellness.
- Made without corn, wheat, artificial flavors or colors.
Who is Chewy Owned By?
Today, Chewy is an independent standing public entity. With over 70% stakes, Chewy’s largest shareholder is the private equity firm BC Partners.
Is Chewy Owned by PetSmart?
No, Chewy is not owned by PetSmart. Namely, in 2017 PetSmart acquired Chewy for $3.35 billion (which was the largest e-commerce business acquisition at the time). However, in June 2019, Chewy went public with a $9 billion initial evaluation, and the brands became separate entities.
Does Chewy Have Their Own Brand?
Yes, Chewy has its own private brand of wholesome, fresh, and human-grade meals under the name Tylee’s. The frozen dog food is available in four different flavors (chicken, turkey, beef, and pork) and conveniently shipped to subscribers packed in patented sustainable packages. Tylee’s also offers human-grade jerky treats. Chewy owns other brands, too, including the pet food brand American Journey and the pet supply manufacturer Frisco.
What Does Chewy Sell
Chewy sells everything pet-related – from food and treats to toys and accessories to supplements and medications. A more detailed list of the general product categories you can find on Chewy’s digital shelves can be found below:
- Pet Food: dry, wet, premium, fresh, veterinary subscription
- Pet Treats: soft chews, rawhides, jerkies, dental sticks
- Pet Supplies: bowls, crates, leashes, collars, toys, carriers
- Litter and Accessories: boxes, cleaners, deodorizers
- Pet Vitamins and Supplements
- Preventive Products: tick and flea protectors, dewormers
- OTC and Prescription Pet Medications
Does Chewy Sell Medications?
The Chewy pharmacy offers an array of over-the-counter and prescription medications, preventive products, and supplements for dogs, cats, and horses. The pharmacy section is convenient and can be searched based on pet species, health condition, brand, type of medication, etc. Chewy also has a compounding pharmacy service for pets with unique needs. In case you need a prescription, Chewy will give you information about the closest licensed veterinarian in your area so you can acquire the necessary documentation and then place the order.
What Dog Products does Chewy Sell?
The Chewy dog products are classified into three major categories – food, treats, and supplies. With a wide spectrum of over 2000 product brands, you have everything your dog needs at the click of a button. From growth support puppy diet to sensitive stomach formulas to veterinary prescription foods – the selection of dog food is overwhelming. The category of treats is also rich and offers diversity while under supplies, you can find everything else for dogs – leash, collars, toys, bowls, crates, grooming items, and even fashionable clothes and accessories.
What Dog Food Does Chewy Sell?
Each dog has unique dietary requirements. Here is a list of the Top Chewy Dog Food Picks:
- Dry Food: Dry foods from brands like Purina, Blue Buffalo, Pedigree, Nutro, America Journey are the mainstream choice for puppies, adults, and seniors.
- Premium Food: From human-grade to grain-free to limited ingredient, brands like Acana, Orijen, Stella & Chewy, The Honest Kitchen, Zignature offer premium foods for dogs of all life stages.
- Wet Food: Delicate palates require wet food options from brands like Merrick, Purina, Hills, Cesar, Nutrish by Rachel Ray, Blue Buffalo, etc.
- Veterinary Diets: Vet prescription diets from Hills and Royal Canin are critical if your dog has a specific health condition that benefits from tailored nutrition.
- Fresh and Prepared Meals: With brands like Tylee’s and Freshpet, your dog can enjoy wholesome, fresh, and healthy meals on a daily basis.
What Dog Treats Does Chewy Sell?
It is no secret that dogs adore treats. Below is a list of the different Chewy dog treats:
- Biscuits, Cookies & Crunchy Treats: From peanut butter cookies to grain-free biscuits brands like Blue Buffalo, Old Mother Hubbard, American Journey, Nutro, Alpo offer a variety of crunchy treats.
- Soft & Chewy Treat: Brands like American Journey, Hills, Rachel Ray Nutrish, Milo’s Kitchen offer various treats, from soft savories to snacking sticks.
- Dental Treats: DentaLife, Pedigree, Milk-Bone, Greenies offer treats for dental health support.
- Jerky Treats: True Chews, Full Moon, Bones & Chews, Blue Buffalo, Tylee’s offer a rich selection of juicy jerkies.
- Bones, Bully Sticks & Natural Chews: If your dog is into bully sticks, antlers, Himalayan chews, rawhides, try brands like SmartBones, Good’n’Fun, Nylabone, BusyBone, etc.
What Dog Supplies Does Chewy Sell?
Dog supplies may seem like a splurge, but they are essential. Below is a list of the Chewy dog supplies:
- Dog Toys: Chew toys, plush toys, fetch toys, interactive toys, rope & tug toys from various brands like Kong, Frisco, Zippy Paws, Bones & Chews, Nylabone, Mammoth, etc.
- Dog Vitamins & Supplements: Different dietary supplements from Four Paws, Purina, Nutramax, VetriScience, Zesty Paws, etc.
- Dog Flea & Tick Product: Collars, chews, and topicals from brands like Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, Trixie, Bayer.
- Dog Crates, Pens & Gates: Brands like MidWest, Frisco, Pet Adobe, Bundle offer supplies like indoor and outdoor kennels, houses, crates, gates, pens, steps & ramps.
- Dog Beds: The Best Chewy Dog Beds come from brands like Frisco, FurHaven, Best Friends by Sheri, K & H Pet Products and are available in different types like sofas, bolster, covered, orthopedic, heated, personalized, and pillow beds.
- Dog Leashes: Collars & Harnesses. From leashes and harnesses to collars and ID tags in all designs and sizes from brands like PetSafe, GoTags, Flexi, Puppia.
- Dog Bowls & Feeders: Elevated bowls, travel bowls, fountains, automatic and slow feeders from brands like Outward Hound, Ethical Pet, ORE Pet, Gamma2.
- Dog Grooming Products: From shampoos and skincare products to nail clippers and brushes, you can find everything for grooming from brands like Hartz, Buddy Wash, Pet Republique, Oster, Zesty Paws, etc.
- Dog Clothing & Accessories: For fashionable dogs, brands like Bundle, Frisco, Wagatude offer coats & jackets, shirts, sweaters & hoodies, pajamas, dresses, and accessories.
What Cat Products does Chewy Sell?
The Chewy cat products are classified into four categories – food, treats, litter and accessories, and supplies. The food and treat choices are rich in terms of both types and brands. Basically, there is an ideal food and treat option for every cat’s needs and taste preferences. The litter and accessories category offers everything cats need to do their business in a clean and hygienic manner. Finally, the supplies section offers products like toys, bowls, carriers, collars & leashes, beds, etc.
What Cat Food Does Chewy Sell?
The Chewy cat food category includes different diet formulas. A list of the cat food subcategories follows below:
- Wet Food: Chunks in gravy, shredded meats, bits in broth, and creamy pates for cats of all life stages from popular brands like Purina, Sheba, The Honest Kitchen, Tiny Tiger, Tiki Cat, 9 Lives, etc.
- Dry Food: For cats that prefer crunchy meals, Chewy offers dry foods for cats of all ages (kittens, cats, seniors), lifestyles (indoor and outdoor), and sensitivities (grain-free) from brands like Royal Canin, American Journey, Purina, Nutro, Blue Buffalo, Iams, Orijen, etc.
- Premium Food: Delicate palates and sensitive stomachs require premium diets with novel protein and ingredient combinations from brands like Weruva, Nulo, Orijen, Fussy Cat, Wellness, Acana, and Applaws.
- Raw Food: Brands like Stella & Chewy, Instinct, Tiki Cat, and Nulo offer raw diets for cats with wild spirits.
- Veterinary Diets: The Hill’s Prescription Diets and Royal Canin Veterinary Diets have your dog covered if suffering from health issues (from sensitive stomachs to weight management to diabetes).
- Food Toppings: Picky cats agree that everything tastes better with food toppers from brands like Caru, Freely, Solid Gold, etc.
- Freeze-Dried and Dehydrated Foods: The Honest Kitchen, Ziwi, Stella & Chewy are your choices if your cat likes raw foods, and you need the convenient freeze-dried food part.
- Frozen Food: If you do not have time to cook and your cat likes raw food, choose frozen options from brands like MeatMe, Instinct, Tiki Cat, or Nature’s Logic.
What Cat Treats Does Chewy Sell?
Chewy understands that every cat needs treats. Here is a list of the treat options below:
- Kitten Treats: Kittens and young cats have unique dietary requirements, which is why they need exclusively formulated treats.
- Treats for Adults: From soft and juicy to crunchy and delicious, the range of treats for adult cats is vast.
- Treats for Cats with Health Issues: Cats with unique health issues (urinary, diabetes, food sensitivities) should be offered veterinary-grade treats.
What Cat Litter Does Chewy Sell?
When you have a cat, you definitely need cat litter. Below is a list of the Chewy cat litter and accessories collection:
- Cat Litter: The choice of litters from brands like Tidy Cats, Fresh Step, and Frisco, ranges from unscented, natural, and flushable to dust-free, clumping, and scented
- Cat Litter Boxes: Brands like Catit, Friso, Iris, Whisker, Van Ness, offer litter pans, covered boxes, corner boxes, automatic, top entry litter boxes, etc.
- Cat Litter Accessories: Litter scoops, litter mats, liners, filters, and absorbable pads are must-haves.
- Cat Litter Box Waste Disposal: Disposing of the cat’s waste is easy with products from brands like beyondGreen and Litter Genie.
- Cat Litter Box Cleaners & Deodorizers: Arm & Hammer Litter, Frisco, Nature’s Miracle offer products for keeping the litter box clean and fresh.
What Cat Supplies Does Chewy Sell?
There are many essential cat supply products. Below is a list of the different Chew cat supplies:
- Cat Toys: Ethical Cat, Frisco, SmartyKat, Kong offer teasers & wands, balls & chasers, scratching toys, catnip toys, tunnels, and interactive toys.
- Cat Vitamins & Supplements: Purina, Nutramax, Four Paws, VetriScience, Zesty Paws offer dietary supplements for cats of all ages and different needs.
- Cat Flea & Tick Products: From collars, chews, and topicals to wipes, brushes, and shampoos from brands like Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, Trixie, Bayer.
- Cat Training & Cleaning: Brands like Feliway, Sticky Paws, Fur-Zoff offer calming aids, lint rollers, stain removers, deodorizers, and air purifiers.
- Cat Bowls & Feeders: From bowls and dishes to fountains and waterers brands like Bundle, Van Nes, Catit offer various types of cat bowls and feeding systems.
- Cat Beds: Orthopedic, covered, bolster, heated, pillow beds from FurHaven, Best Friends by Sheri, Aspen Pet, Pet Magasin, etc.
- Cat Furniture: Trees & condos, scratching posts, wall shelves, window perches, and houses from brands like K&H Pet Products, Oster, Bundle, Trixie, etc.
- Cat Travel Accessories and Carriers: Carriers, kennels, strollers, car accessories from brands like EliteField, Pet Gear, Petmate, etc.
- Cat Leashes, Collars & Harnesses: Pet Safe, GoTags, Red Dingo, Frisco, offer fancy products and accessories like personalized tags.
Is Chewy Good Quality?
Yes, Chewy is good quality and the go-to online pet store for parents. This is because Chewy has a more decadent selection of brands and offers higher quality products than most regular pet stores. Plus, its range of products (food and supplies) covers different pet species – from dogs, cats, and rodents to reptiles, fish, and horses. Additionally, Chewy is the cheapest online option (prices 11% lower than the all-store average).
Where can I Buy Chewy?
Chewy is an online retailer meaning you can buy its products on the official website’s digital shelves. The site is user-friendly and easy to use. Plus, Chewy frequently offers discounts and promo codes. Chewy also accepts coupons from manufacturers, offers free shipping for deals over $49, and has a 1-year money-back guarantee. The excellent 24/7 Chewy customer service rounds up the shopping experience.
“Veterinary prescription diets are a godsend for people with pets having specific dietary needs and restrictions. Instead of making your own tedious diet plan for your pet with sensitive skin, urinary tract disorders, or gastrointestinal diseases, these diets already have helpful ingredients and are free of the ones that can aggravate your pet’s specific kind of disease. This is a luxury regular pet food cannot assure you and it’s truly worth the extra bucks.”
– Alysper M. Cormanes, DVM