Related Articles: Flea Shampoo for Dogs, Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs, Flea Shampoo for Puppies, Dry Shampoo for Dogs, Dog Shampoo, Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Medicated Dog Shampoo, Dog Conditioner, Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin, Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs, Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin, Dog Shampoo for Allergies, Dog Dandruff Shampoo, Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo, Mange Shampoo for Dogs, Antifungal Dog Shampoo, Natural Dog Shampoo, Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin, Dog Lice Shampoo, Best Puppy Shampoo
Best Chlorhexidine Shampoos for Dogs Summary
- Best Overall Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs: PetHonesty Chlorhexidine Shampoo
This is a product highly recommended by vets for its ability to combat itchy and irritated skin with safe ingredients.
- Best Medicated Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs: Curaseb Chlorhexidine 4% Shampoo for Dogs
Medicated shampoo with 4% chlorhexidine for dogs with severe skin allergies and skin irritations.
- Best Antifungal Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs: Curaseb Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
This medicated shampoo is designed for any dog with yeast infections or fungal skin irritation.
- Best Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs with Sensitive Skin: Douxo S3 PYO Antiseptic Shampoo
This shampoo is suitable for dogs with dandruff and canines that may benefit from a burst of hydration.
- Best Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Smelly Dogs: Pet MD Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
This medicated shampoo for dogs helps neutralize the smell of dogs suffering from yeast and bacterial infections.
- Best Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs with Ringworm: Jungle Pet Antiseptic Shampoo for Dogs
This medicated chlorhexidine shampoo is designed to combat skin issues such as hot spots, ringworm, and acne.
- PetHonesty's Chlorhexidine Shampoo is made with Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole for the safest and most effective way to help treat your dog or cat's skin issues right in your own home. The shampoo is has a light cucumber melon scent to help combat smelly skin issues.
- The addition of soothing aloe to PetHonesty's Chlorhexidine Shampoo helps calm itchiness, redness and irritation brought on by skin infections, rashes, wounds, hot spots, and bug bites.
- This gentle cleanser is vet-recommended to promote skin and coat health, as well as support skin-related issues associated with shedding, allergies, skin infections, itchiness, hotspots and dandruff. It's great for irritated and sensitive skin!
What Does Chlorhexidine Shampoo do for Dogs?
Chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs helps treat the dog’s skin and effectively manages various coat issues. Chlorhexidine is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent technically classified as a cleanser or disinfectant.
When bacteria, fungus, and yeast are the underlying causes of skin issues, veterinarians frequently recommend chlorhexidine shampoos. It must be one of the active ingredients in shampoo to work effectively.
Skin allergies and coat irritation are common issues in dogs. According to experts at Four Muddy Paws, “about 20 percent of the dogs in the United States suffer from some type of allergy, whether it be atopic dermatitis, flea allergy, food allergy, inhalant allergy, or contact allergy.” PetPlace.com also explains the use of chlorhexidine on hot spots (a skin condition).
Is Chlorhexidine Shampoo Safe for Dogs?
Yes, the chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is safe.
In fact, many vets recommend the use of chlorhexidine shampoo for skin issues like pyoderma, hot spots, rashes, and mange. Such shampoos can also be used to treat mild cases of irritated skin.
The typical chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs has somewhere between one and two percent of the active ingredient gluconate.
According to VIN’s research, chlorhexidine is very effective against most bacteria, except for some Pseudomonas and Serratia strains. Chlorhexidine shampoos are well tolerated by most dogs.
The Best Chlorhexidine Shampoos for Dogs Reviewed
There are many medicated shampoos in the pet supplies section on Amazon and Chewy. This can make it hard for pet owners to find the right one. To make the choice more accessible, we have reviewed the best chlorhexidine shampoos. Take a look before clicking checkout.
Summary: PetHonesty Chlorhexidine Shampoo’s three main active ingredients are known to be very effective. It is recommended for wounds and skin irritations. The addition of aloe soothes the skin, and both the 2% Chlorhexidine and 1% ketoconazole treat skin issues and infections. The brand is vet-recommended to promote skin and coat health and manage issues like allergies, skin infections, itchiness, hotspots, and dandruff.
Scent: Light cucumber and melon scent
Active Ingredients: Ketoconazole, chlorhexidine, aloe vera
- It has a nice cucumber scent and lathers well
- Vet-recommended formula
- De-tangles knots and promotes smooth hair coat
- Helps relieve itchy skin and skin inflammation
- Made in the USA with an NASC-seal
- Complaints about damaged bottles and bottles without pumps
Review: The Pet Honesty brand is well known, and the ingredients are safe. The Amazon ratings for this chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs are 4.6 out of 5 stars, and customer testimonials say how well the shampoo lathers and the pleasant scent. Overall, the shampoo helps manage dogs with skin issues and allergies.
Summary: Curaseb Chlorhexidine 4% Shampoo for Dogs helps with severe skin allergies and skin irritations that benefit from the 4% Chlorhexidine active ingredient. This higher strength medicated shampoo is very effective and known to be anti-bacterial and antimicrobial. This chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is safe to be used on puppies and senior dogs.
Scent: Pleasant blueberry scent
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4%
- Veterinary strength ingredients
- Pleasant fruit-like scent
- Works well for puppies
- Can manage environmental allergies
- Made in the USA
- Needs a long contact time (ten minutes) to be effective
Review: In many cases, the 4% strength is what made the difference for pets. One customer testimonial on Amazon says, ”the first bath had a huge impact, completely order Xanax online clearing up all the red, moist, inflamed areas and bringing them to a dry, healthy pink color overnight. All the sores healed significantly as well, so after a few days, we gave her a second bath.”
Summary: The Curaseb Medicated Shampoo for Dogs is the best antifungal and anti-yeast medicated shampoo. While there are other products with ketoconazole as an active ingredient, this shampoo, does a very effective job of eliminating yeast from a dog‘s skin and coat. This chlorhexidine shampoo is designed for any dog with yeast infections or fungal skin irritation. This shampoo also has natural ingredients like aloe vera to help soothe skin.
Scent: Cucumber-melon scent.
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine gluconate 2%, ketoconazole 1%, aloe vera
- Contains aloe vera and vitamin E
- Works as an antifungal shampoo
- Deodorizes and cleanses
- Reasonably priced product
- Made in the USA
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: Most testimonials say they really saw the benefit of both antimicrobial and anti-yeast ingredients after a few sessions. Dogs having multiple issues benefited from the active ingredients and customers saw a real difference. One pet owner says this chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is life-changing.
Summary: The Duoxo S3 PYO Antiseptic Shampoo is good for dogs with dandruff and dry skin, which may benefit from a burst of hydration. This medicated pet shampoo contains a natural ingredient, ophytrium, that helps support the skin’s physical barrier for hydrated skin and soothe irritated skin. This chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs can be used on sensitive skin and canines with dermatologic diseases.
Active Ingredients: Ophytrium, chlorhexidine
- Helps decrease skin inflammation
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Helps soothe irritated skin
- Reduces yeast counts in seven days
- Can be used on dogs and cats
- Some customers say the shampoo doesn’t lather well
Review: This shampoo received 4.7 out of 5 stars when rated by customers. One customer says it worked for her dog with severe skin issues, ”You can see the difference this shampoo made in her skin. She was getting bathed every other day with it, and we got the mousse to apply where we couldn’t bathe her. It, along with medication, worked wonders for her skin.”
Summary: Pet MD Medicated Shampoo Dogs helps eliminate the major causes of skin infections in dogs. This medicated shampoo for dogs also helps neutralize the smell of dogs suffering from yeast and bacterial infections. In addition to hot spots, this medicated chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs also helps manage superficial cuts, abrasions, and insect bites.
Scent: Cucumber-melon scent
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% and ketoconazole 1%
- Astringent qualities help dry the affected area
- Appropriate for dogs with staph infections
- Helps with superficial cuts, abrasions, and insect bites
- Leaves your dog smelling good for days
- Free from harsh chemicals and artificial additives
- Does not lather very much and easy
Review: Pet owners say this shampoo immediately soothes their dog’s skin. One owner says this shampoo saved her dog’s life. ”I have a mixed breed, who has had medical conditions all her life. After using this shampoo and the spray every other day, for about 2 or 3 weeks, his skin started to clear up and fur started to grow back.”
Summary: Jungle Pet Antiseptic Shampoo for Dogs is the best chlorhexidine shampoo to fight ringworm. This medicated chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is designed to combat skin issues such as hot spots, ringworm, and acne. It also speeds up the process of healing skin irritations, superficial cuts, abrasions, and insect bites.
Scent: Cucumber-melon scent
Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine gluconate 2% and ketoconazole 1%
- Helps manage insect bites
- Pleasant scent dogs and owners
- Helps with itching and leaves the coat soft
- Works well for dogs with sensitive skin
- Free from soap, sulfates, and parabens
- Not enough conditioning agents
Review: Pet owner testimonials on Amazon also say it is effective with dogs that have sensitive skin, ”My dog was constantly licking herself and had a bitter odor when she did. Bathed her a few times with this shampoo, and it is gone. Highly recommend it. She has very sensitive skin and had no bad reaction to it.”
What is the Best Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs?
The best chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is PetHonesty Chlorhexidine Shampoo. The brand is vet-recommended to promote skin and coat health, as well as manage issues like shedding, allergies, skin infections, itchiness, hot spots, and dandruff.
We picked this product based on several features and considerations. Here are some of the things to consider when choosing the right chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs:
- Ingredients. There should be safe ingredients (especially the active ingredients listed after the chlorhexidine), and natural ingredients are a bonus.
- Scent. The scent shouldn’t be overwhelming for the pet owner or dog, and the product needs to smell natural.
- Life Stage Suitability. Puppies also have delicate skin, so make sure the shampoo isn’t too harsh when it comes to the active ingredients.
- Effectiveness. The active ingredients need to target specific skin conditions, and even natural ingredients like aloe vera need to address a problem.
- Ease of Use. The residue should wash off easily, and the shampoos should lather well, which makes bathing and longer contact times easy for pet owners.
- Brand. Make quick research on the brand you are considering. You can learn a lot about the brand by reading customer reviews.
How Often Should I Bathe My Dog With Chlorhexidine Shampoo?
The frequency of medicated baths depends on the specific skin condition.
According to VCA Hospitals, ”In many cases, medicated baths are recommended on a weekly basis. Your veterinarian may recommend bathing more or less frequently, depending on the details of your dog’s particular skin condition.”
If your dog has a severe skin issue, you may need to bathe up to twice a week.
How Fast Does Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs Work?
The chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs starts working from the first use. However, it usually takes longer for the improvement to become visible. Some dogs have trouble standing still in the tub, and this may impact how quickly the shampoo works. The
Many of the products we reviewed say the shampoo is to be absorbed for 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly, and for best results, repeat the procedure. However, in some scenarios, the shampoo needs a contact time of 3 to 5 minutes.
How Long Does Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs Last?
The chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs lasts for several months. However, the exact longevity will depend on the frequency of use and the dog’s and shampoo bottle’s size.
Certain skin problems require more frequent use which will make the shampoo last for a shorter time. On the other hand, if the chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs is more concentrated it will allow using a small amount of product per bathing.