Table of Contents
What is the Best Coconut Oil for Cats?
- Best Overall Coconut Oil For Cats: Raw Paws Organic Coconut Oil for Cats
This is our top pick when it comes to the best coconut oil for cats, thanks to its high ratings on Amazon and Chewy.
- Best Organic Coconut Oil For Cats: Raw Paws Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for Cats
If you are looking for the best organic coconut oil, this product is exactly what you need considering it solves most skin problems and digestive issues.
- Most Potent Coconut Oil For Cats: kin+kind Organic Raw Coconut Oil Pet Supplement
If you want a potent coconut oil with numerous health benefits, this product improves metabolic function and has lesser side effects.
- Best Coconut Oil For Cats for Skin Issues: Alpha Pet Zone Coconut Oil for Cats
For overall health, this beneficial coconut oil helps to improve your cat’s coat and also has antifungal properties.
- Best Virgin Coconut Oil For Cats: CocoTherapy Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
There are several health benefits of coconut oil, and this virgin product is exactly what your cat needs for improved health.
- Great benefits for your feline friends, all natural coconut oil, a moisturizing treatment for cats itchy skin, cracked paws, and effective in cleaning cat ears.
- Apply pet coconut oil directly on skin as a rash cream for dogs and cats or as a bite treatment to provide calm itchy skin relief for your pet.
- Great for cat and dog's relief from dermatitis, and the perfect coconut oil dog shampoo, that will leave a soft hydration that smells clean, leaving your dog looking their best.
Is Coconut Oil Safe on Cats?
Yes, coconut oil for cats is safe.
While research on coconut oil use in pets is in its early stages, cat owners report improvements after adding coconut oil to their cats’ food bowls or skin.
Is Coconut Oil Toxic to Cats?
No, when used correctly, coconut oil for cats is neither toxic nor harmful.
However, when misused, coconut oil can have some side effects. For example, giving your cat too much coconut oil can cause gastrointestinal issues like vomiting or diarrhea. In the long run, it can also lead to weight gain and obesity.
As with any diet addition, consult your veterinarian before using coconut oil for your cat. The vet knows your cat’s medical history and can advise whether coconut oil would be beneficial or unnecessary.
What does Coconut Oil do for Cats?
Coconut oil for cats does several things – from relieving itchy skin to managing inflammation to boosting the immune system.
Coconut oil contains saturated fats from medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) or medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), including lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid.
Here is a more detailed look at the benefits of coconut oil for cats.
- Coconut Oil for Supports Cat Skin and Coat. Coconut oil supports a cat’s skin & coat health on several levels – it nourishes and moisturizes dry skin, soothes irritations and bug bites, and repels pests (fleas, ticks, mange, ear mites). Plus, it has strong anti-bacterial and antifungal properties, thus preventing common skin health issues and infections.
- Coconut oil Helps Cat Digestion. The caprylic acid in coconut oil works to remove harmful bacteria, parasites, and fungi from your cat’s gut, thus resulting in more efficient vitamin and mineral absorption. Plus, coconut oil helps prevent constipation issues.
- Coconut Oil Helps Reduce Inflammation in Cats. Coconut oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties that help with issues such as arthritis and gingivitis. Coconut oil has several anti-inflammatory compounds as well as naturally occurring antioxidants.
- Coconut Oil Helps Manage Cat Hairballs. Coconut manages hairballs on two levels. First, it supports fur health, thus decreasing shedding and hairball formation (when coughed up, they irritate the respiratory tract). Second, it is a lubricant that makes the passage of hairballs through the GI tract easier.
- Coconut Oil Boosts the Cat’s Immune System. Coconut oil is an excellent way of boosting immune defenses in cats. Because of its lauric acid content, it has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties, meaning it can prevent infections and fight off harmful pathogens.
- Coconut Oil Helps Cat Liver Health. Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides and antioxidants that support healthy liver function. Described as the “hardest working organ,” the liver is under constant pressure and is responsible for many vital functions and processes.
- Coconut Oil for Weight Management. Coconut oil boosts metabolic functions and can even help with weight loss when used correctly. However, if misused, it can lead to an overweight cat because of its high-fat content.
How can I Use Coconut Oil for Cats?
Cats are known as fussy eaters. However, they do like coconut oil in most cases. Given below are some of the common ways you can use coconut oil with cats.
- Pour Over Kibble. The easiest way to use coconut oil for cats is to melt the product in the microwave and pour it over the kibble.
- Mix with Canned Food. You can mix the melted coconut oil with canned cat food which will mask the scent and flavor.
- Pair with Treats. Another option is to whip up some homemade treats featuring coconut oil in their ingredients.
- Apply on the Cat’s Skin. Coconut oil helps with certain skin issues, in which cases it can be applied directly to the skin.
The Best Coconut Oil for Cats Reviewed
The use of coconut oil for cats is popular, and the pet market offers dozens of products. To help cat owners find the right product, we have reviewed the best five coconut oil products.
Summary: This coconut oil is perfect for cats and dogs as it offers a soothing, natural treatment. It works great on your cat’s dry nose, elbows, ears, and paws, which heals and softens a pet’s dry skin. This product can also be used as an ear cleaner and paw balm. The oil also provides itch relief, thanks to its moisturizing properties. It can also be served with cat food or given off a spoon as a lickable treat.
- Sourced from organic coconuts
- Safe and highly effective itch relief
- Effective in cleaning cat ears
- Provides relief from dermatitis
- Improves a cat or dog‘s digestive health
- The shelf life of the product could have been better
Ingredient Analysis: 100% organic coconut oil (virgin and cold-pressed) is the only ingredient in the product.
Review: This cold-pressed organic coconut oil offers allergy relief, moisturized skin and coat, a natural hairball remedy, and acts as a lotion for dogs and cats. Customers give this coconut oil for cats 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This is an excellent product that offers a wide range of health benefits for both cats and dogs. If consumed orally, it offers benefits like hairball management, itch relief, and digestive tract support. When applied directly to the cat’s skin, it works as a hot spot treatment and can help with dry noses, paws, and elbows. Overall, this is an excellent supplement that promotes cat health on several levels.
- 100% natural and organic virgin oil
- Cold-pressed & unrefined for maximum quality
- Provides potent itch relief
- Offers digestive support and fresh breath
- Boost the immune system naturally
- Needs to be stored in a cool and dry place
Ingredient Analysis: The only ingredient is 100% cold-pressed organic coconut oil.
Review: Cat owners are pleased with the quality, efficacy, and price of the product. Customers give this coconut oil for cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This product is rich in medium-chain fatty acids as it offers several nutritional benefits to pets. It also leads to improved coat, skin, fur, and joints. This product contains nothing but cold-pressed coconut oil that has been manufactured with wheat and grain-free formula. The low-heat recipe preserves a nutritional punch as every ingredient is vet chosen and approved to ensure your pets get all the nutrition they need naturally.
- Vet formulated product
- GMO-free and cruelty-free
- Hand-mixed in the USA
- Perfect for either dry or wet food
- Offers skin and joint support
- More expensive than similar products
Ingredient Analysis: Organic coconut oil is the only ingredient present in this product, and it offers all the benefits of coconut oil.
Review: Pet owners are delighted that the oil is USDA-organic and non-GMO – they say it works great and is easy to use. Customers give this coconut oil for cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This all-natural and organic coconut oil acts as the perfect skin soother. It is the most effective daily defense and best anti-itch topical solution for your pet’s health & sensitive coat (fit for itching, rashes, cuts, and seasonal allergies). It also works great as an ear cleaner. This anti-shedding, hydrating, and moisturizing balm leaves soft hydration that will nourish your cat’s skin and has a tropical scent that smells zesty, clean, and fresh.
- Great against seasonal allergies or itch problems
- Helps with shedding and hydrating
- Smells clean and fresh
- Offers nutritional immunity
- Provides cognitive support and healthy digestion
- Often out of stock on online retailers
Ingredient Analysis: The only ingredient in this product is certified organic virgin coconut oil.
Review: This coconut oil is excellent as a protector and repair & relief ointment for scaly, dry, and damaged skin. It is also a detangler & conditioner for a silky smooth winter coat. Customers give this coconut oil for cats 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This coconut oil uses the purest, organically grown coconuts. They have been grown on a USDA-certified farm making this oil 100% human-grade. This product has a wide range of applications thanks to its versatile nature. This includes cooking, baking, and even first-aid. This oil is 100% pure, natural, and cold-pressed with no GMOs, trans or hydrogenated fat.
- Pure, organic virgin coconut oil for dogs
- A great-tasting, nutritious supplement for your pet’s diet
- Made from the purest USDA-certified organic, non-GMO coconuts
- Maintains your dog’s healthy skin, digestion, and immunity
- Helps your dog achieve a healthy height
- The scent might not suit some cats
Ingredient Analysis: The only ingredient in this product is USDA-certified organic coconut oil.
Review: Pet owners are happy the product promotes healthy skin & coat, immune system support, and a healthy GI tract. Customers give this coconut oil for cats 4.5 out of 5 stars.
What Should I Look for in a Cat Coconut Oil?
Consider these factors when shopping for high-quality coconut oil for cats:
- Virgin. Make sure that the oil you buy is virgin coconut oil. This has more health benefits as compared to other similar products.
- Potency. While coconut oil in its natural state is potent enough, make sure that any substitute you buy contains the right concentration of oil.
- Shelf Life. Ensure that your oil has a good shelf life and is easy to store. In general, cold-pressed oil has a long shelf life and has more overall health benefits.
- Brand. Always opt for a popular brand, especially when buying from online platforms such as Amazon or Chewy.
- Cost. It is best to study several brands before opting for the perfectly priced product. Cheap coconut oils are usually of lower quality, while excessively overpriced ones are not sustainable in the long run.
How Much Coconut Oil Should I Give My Cat?
The usual coconut oil for cats dosage is ¼ to ½ teaspoon once or twice a day.
To prevent GI upsets and allergic reactions, cat owners should start with a smaller amount. Vets suggest starting with as little as 1/8 of a teaspoon daily. This will allow the cat to get used to the new supplement.
How do I Apply Coconut Oil to My Cat?
Coconut oil for cats can be used orally or topically.
Here are some basic steps on how to apply coconut oil to a cat’s coat or skin:
- Use an Elizabethan collar to ensure that your cat does not lick the oil off after a topical application
- Run the oil between your hands to soften it and apply it all over your cat’s coat
- Remove the collar once the coconut oil is absorbed into the skin
Here are some basic steps on how to apply coconut oil to a cat’s coat or skin:
- Measure the recommended dosage
- Pour the coconut oil on the cat’s food
- Make sure the cat eats its entire meal.
What Happens If My Cat Licks Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil for cats is not toxic; therefore, you do not have to worry if your cat takes a lick or two.
However, if using the coconut oil topically, licking will remove it and prevent it from taking action and exerting its benefits. Also, excess licking of coconut oil can trigger digestive upset.
Severe complications are possible in cats with chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), in which case, licking oil (coconut oil, fish oil, olive oil) can cause an episode. That is why you must talk to a vet before adding coconut oil to your cat’s diet.