What Can I Give My Dog for Dental Care?
- Best Overall Dental Products for Dogs: Vets Preferred Water Additive Oral Care for Dogs
This water additive is lightly flavored to offer your dog a healthy treat and clean their mouth while they are quenching their thirst.
- Best Easy-Use Dental Products for Dogs: Petlab Co. Dog Dental Formula Keep Dog Breath Fresh and Teeth Clean
This water additive is flavorless and odorless, so it can easily be mixed with the dog’s water without the dog noticing its presence.
- Best Toothpaste-Style Dental Products for Dogs: Vets Preferred Dog Enzymatic Toothpaste
The peanut butter flavor and enzymatic action of this toothpaste is effective at cleaning a dog’s teeth and preventing tartar buildup.
- Best Treat-Style Dental Products for Dogs: Pedigree Dentastix Large Dog Dental Care Treats
With over 40,000 reviews and available in several flavors and varieties, these dental treats are a particularly popular option.
- Best Dental Products for Dogs for Medium Breeds: OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews for Medium Dogs
These chews are most often recommended by veterinarians to maintain a dog’s oral health and prevent dental issues.
- Best Wipe-Style Dental Products for Dogs: Wellnergy Pets Dental Wipes for Dogs
These dental wipes are easy to use and coat the dog’s mouth with powerful dental cleaning agents to promote oral health.
- Best Dental Products for Dogs for Large Breeds: Greenies Original Large Size Natural Dog Dental Care Chews
Greenies are a well-known product that is very effective in stimulating blood circulation to the gums and cleaning plaque off a dog’s teeth.
- Ensure fresh breath, clean dog teeth AND overall dog health!
- Help prevent tartar formation and protect your dog’s teeth and gums and from irreversible gum disease and countless vet visits.
- Don't waste time wrestling with a dog toothbrush! Simply add a small amount of this dog breath freshener to your dog's water!
What are the Types of Dental Products for Dogs?
There are several types of dental products for dogs. Here is a closer look at some of the most popular options:
- Toothpaste & Tooth Brush: It is often recommended to brush your dog’s teeth daily. Doing so can freshen bad breath, improve oral health, and prevent dental health issues in the future, same as it does for humans. It is essential to use products made for dogs (dog pastes are free from xylitol and dog bushes have soft bristles).
- Water Additives. Dental water additives help freshen breath and clean the dog’s mouth. They are made without ingredients like fluoride or xylitol, which are toxic to dogs. Usually, additives are odorless and flavorless for easy use. However, some feature dog-friendly flavors.
- Dental Sprays. Some dental liquids come in a spray bottle and are formulated for direct use. Just spray the liquid into the dog’s mouth. Some dental sprays are flavorless, and others have dog-friendly flavors.
- Dental Treats. Dog treats are a great way to improve your dog’s dental health. They come in all sizes and textures and clean teeth in various ways. For instance, crunchy dental treats help to remove tartar and plaque from a dog’s teeth by rubbing against the tooth, and things like Greenies are semi-hard to stimulate gums without becoming crumbs first.
- Chew Toys. Dog dental chews, like Nylabone or Benebone, help prevent tartar buildup by mechanically scraping the plaque off of the pet’s teeth. Dog chew toys come in a variety of designs, and some are even flavored to promote frequent use and a healthy mouth.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Products for Dogs?
There are several benefits of using dental products for dogs. Here is a closer look at them:
- Fresher Breath. Fresh breath is a sign of good oral hygiene. When a dog’s breath smells clean, it is generally because its mouth is clean. A clean mouth is much less likely to develop problems over time than a dirty mouth because the bacteria associated with having a dirty mouth and bad breath are often also associated with cavities, gum disease, and an array of adverse impacts on a dog’s health.
- Cleaner Teeth. Cleaner dog teeth are stronger, and stronger teeth are imperative to a good quality of life. Keeping teeth clean does not have to be difficult, but it is something that needs to be done regularly for best results and to avoid some expensive vet bills in the future.
- Preventive Maintenance. Preventing dental issues before they start is the best way to combat things like tooth decay, gum disease, and periodontal disease. Cleaning a dog’s mouth regularly will prevent the buildup of bacteria, tartar, and plaque that can inflame and damage gums and teeth.
The Best Dental Products for Dogs Reviewed
Finding the best dog dental product can be tricky. We reviewed some of the best dental products for dogs to help the search.
Summary: This water additive is flavored lightly with mint to provide fresher breath and a cleaner-looking mouth. There is no brushing required for this veterinarian-recommended oral care additive to be effective at cleaning a dog’s teeth and gums. It is made in the United States for top quality and helps to prevent gum disease with the use of chlorhexidine digluconate, a great oral antiseptic. This is one of the easiest-to-use products on the market for dog dental health and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
Best for: Dogs of all ages
Flavor: Mild mint
- No toothbrushing needed
- Prevents gum disease
- Easy to use by just adding to your dog’s drinking water
- Promotes fresh breath with a mild mint flavor
- Made in the USA
- Dogs may not like the flavor
- Uses artificial colors
Ingredient Analysis: Chlorhexidine digluconate is the first ingredient and provides most of the anti-septic qualities of this water additive. Peppermint oil adds a healthy source of flavor and freshness to this product, but the use of artificial colors is a bit concerning as this product is made to be put into water, so the color of the additive would turn the color of the water into an odd shade of green.
Review: Most consumers were happy to see their dogs did not notice this additive in their water, or if they did, they didn’t care. The most common comment about the product was “it works,” and people seemed surprised by this. Critical buyers, however, were off-put by the side effects of the additive. They said it upset their dog’s stomach, and they would not be using it again, although some said it had done what it was supposed to in freshening their dog’s breath.
Summary: This dog mouthwash uses a water-based solution to provide affordable dental support, even for those hard-to-reach places. It supports fresh breath and clean teeth with the use of stabilized chlorine dioxide. Using one teaspoon of the solution to 8 ounces of water is all you need to provide your dog with daily dental care. It is flavorless and odorless, so your dog won’t even know you are helping keep their mouths clean.
Best for: Dogs of all ages
- Promotes overall oral health
- Flavorless and easy to use
- Available with an auto-ship subscription
- Reaches all areas of the mouth
- Made in the USA in an FDA-registered facility
- Contains parabens
Ingredient Analysis: Stabilized chlorine dioxide is one of the active ingredients in this formula and adds a powerful whitening effect. Menthol paraben is a preservative, although parabens are often controversial among dog owners. Sodium bicarbonate and sodium benzoate act to further clean teeth and gums and maintain good dental health.
Review: Numerous reviews call this water additive “amazing” and were “so happy” that it works so well. Their dog’s mouth is clean, and their breath smells fresh. The most common cause for concern among critical reviewers was the use of parabens in the formula. They are concerned about the ingredient’s reputation for causing cancer, among other possible negative side effects.
Summary: Using a 100% natural solution that features anti-bacterial properties to clean the mouth of a dog, this dog toothpaste helps to freshen breath and reduce the potential for dental issues. It is made in the USA in a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certified facility, so you can be assured that each product is made consistently and with high standards. This formula contains silica to give it the texture needed to help loosen tartar and plaque that build up on teeth over time. This toothpaste is a great way to kill bacteria that can get into a dog’s bloodstream and cause kidney and heart diseases
Best for: Adult dogs
Flavor: Peanut butter flavor
- Comes in a flavor dogs love
- Cleans and freshens the dog’s mouth
- Provides antiseptic effects and tartar control
- Made of 100% natural ingredients
- Made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility
- Does not include real peanut butter, instead uses peanut butter flavor
Ingredient Analysis: The first active ingredient in this toothpaste is silica. This is used to grind away tartar but is controversial among some dog owners. The main concern is that the coarse, sand-like texture of the silica can grind away a dog’s tooth enamel, which does not grow back. Sorbitol is included as a sweetener and is generally considered safe for dogs, unlike xylitol. Saccharomyces enzymes are then used as a safe antibacterial and make this safe for regular brushing.
Review: Happy buyers were simple in their reasons. Their dogs just happen to like this toothpaste. The toothpaste had cleaned their dog’s mouth well as well as acting as a breath freshener, and they were happy with this. While their dogs liked the flavor and texture of this product, many others did not. The most common complaint was that their dogs just didn’t like the flavor, and it made brushing their teeth difficult.
Summary: These dental treats are shaped in an X pattern to help reach the gum line and get in between teeth as dogs chew. The texture is coarse to work effectively on loosening tartar and reducing plaque. Each flavor includes using a real chicken to help provide real nutrition in a dental care treatment. They are available in a variety of flavors and sizes to fit the needs of any dog.
Best for: Adult dogs over 30 lbs.
Flavor: Chicken; Beef; Bacon; Bacon & Chicken; Fresh
- The texture helps to remove plaque and tartar
- X-shape design that helps clean teeth
- Provides a host of vitamins and minerals
- Safe to be used on a daily basis
- Variety of flavors and multiple package options
- Does not include antiseptic ingredients
Ingredient Analysis: Rice flour is used as the base of this formula. Wheat starch and glycerin are second and third, and both are fine for added flavor and texture. Chicken is next and provides these treats with flavor and some nutritional value, but there is not enough chicken in the formula to add much. It uses supplements to fortify itself with vitamins and minerals, but there are no antiseptic ingredients.
Review: Many consumers who bought this treat for their dogs were satisfied with the results the treats offered. Their dog’s breath had significantly freshened, and their dog enjoy receiving the treats, so they said it “must taste good.” Only 2% of total reviews on Amazon were critical of these treats. These people, who owned dogs of various ages and health statuses, said the treats had made their dogs sick.
Summary: Made to be chewy and highly dissolvable, the treatment reaches all corners of a dog’s mouth. These oral care treats are often recommended by vets to keep a dog’s mouth clean, happy, and healthy. Each treat uses your dog’s chewing action to dislodge and loosen plaque and tartar and creates a barrier on the teeth to prevent future buildup with the use of delmopinol. It features a subscription feature, so you never have to worry about running out and can give these treats to your dog daily. They are made for dogs over six months old and come in a pack of 30 to last an entire month at a time.
Best for: Dogs over six months of age
- First and only pet product with delmopinol
- Creates a barrier to the dog’s teeth
- Soft but firm texture helps loosen plaque and tartar
- Helps prevent several dental diseases
- Subscription option to receive these treats on a regular basis
- The ingredients are difficult to find
Ingredient Analysis: The active ingredient in this product is delmopinol hydrochloride, a surfactant used in human oral rinses and is a good ingredient for creating a protective barrier on a dog’s teeth. They contain corn, wheat, and soy as potential allergens. The green color of the chew comes from chlorophyllin, alfalfa, and parsley. Complaints mostly came from customers whose dogs became sick after eating these treats. They say their vet recommended them, and they soon discontinued use because their dogs became ill.
Review: Most dog owners who purchased this product raved about how well it worked for their dog’s bad breath, saying it was one of the best dog dental treats on the market.
Summary: These wipes are a convenient way to, quite literally, wipe away plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth. The textured design scrapes against teeth to loosen unwanted plaque buildup, and the easy-to-use, no-brush formula is flavored with mint and apple to be both pleasing to your dog and you. The presoaked cotton pads are perfect for reaching the harder-to-reach back teeth and gums. These have been clinically proven to maintain oral health and keep a pet’s breath fresh and teeth clean.
Best for: Adult dogs
Flavor: Fresh Mint and Apple
- Textured to break up tartar and plaque
- Veterinary formulated
- Pre-soaked for easy use
- Does not require brushing
- Made in the USA
- Wipes may be a bit thin and tear while using
Ingredient Analysis: Water and glycerin are the first two ingredients, and these offer moisture and sweetness to the mix. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is used to freshen breath and whiten teeth, while apple extract and mentha are used for the flavor. Overall, this is a safe and effective formula for dog dental health.
Review: Numerous buyers were happy with how easy these wipes were and how effective they were at cleaning their dog’s teeth. They call it a “must have” and recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their dog’s oral health. Other buyers were disappointed by how thin the wipes were and said they were prone to tearing.
Summary: The chewy but firm texture of Greenies uses a dog’s chewing action to break up tartar and plaque on teeth and along the gums. They are made in sizes for every dog and available in packages of up to 34, so you have enough to get through the month without running out. They have the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) seal of acceptance for dental health for pets. Each greeny treat is made with 100% natural ingredients and provides balanced nutrition, so your dog is receiving high-quality dental care each time it receives a treat.
Best for: Dogs of all ages
- Made with natural ingredients
- Texture helps clean teeth and strengthen gums
- Very easy to digest
- Suitable for dogs up to 100 pounds
- Available in a large variety of packages
- An unspecified natural poultry flavor and added colors are used in this formula
Ingredient Analysis: Wheat flour and glycerin are the first two ingredients in this formula that treat its taste and some of its texture. Powdered cellulose offers a bit of fiber and contributes to the treat’s texture. An unspecified natural poultry flavor and added colors are used in this formula, and this is generally not what dog owners are looking for.
Review: With over 18,000 reviews and an average rating of 4.8 stars, it is clear the majority of buyers are happy with Greenies. They say their dog’s breath is fresh, and their teeth and gums are clean and healthy. Their dogs digest these treats well and have no problems chewing them. Negative reviews were left by people whose dogs became sick after eating these treats, or they claimed the treats did nothing to help clean their dog’s mouth.
What Should I Look for in a Dog Dental Treatment?
When looking for dental products for dogs, you need to pay attention to several factors:
- Safe Ingredients. The safest ingredients will often be the most natural. Some dental products feature health-boosting ingredients such as probiotics, vitamins, and minerals.
- Flavor. When it comes to things like toys and water additives, it might be best to go with a flavorless option or one featuring a dog-friendly flavor.
- Method of Use. As can be seen on this list, there are a lot of ways you can administer a dental treatment to your dog. From water additives to treats to dog toothbrushes, there are various ways to give your dogs a healthier, cleaner mouth.