Table of Contents
What are the Best Deshedding Cat Brushes?
- Best Overall Deshedding Cat Brush: Maxpower Planet Pet Grooming Brush Double-Sided Undercoat Dematting Rake
This is our top pick when it comes to the perfect deshedding cat brush because of its high reviews on Chewy and Amazon.
- Best Undercoat Deshedding Cat Brush: Hesiry Cat Brush Undercoat Soft Deshedding Brush
This deshedding brush is perfect for your cat’s undercoat and can help manage loose hair and maintain hygiene.
- Best Self-Cleaning Deshedding Cat Brush: Cat Grooming Brush Self Cleaning Slicker Brushes
This deshedding cat brush has a self-cleaning feature that works wonders in keeping your cat’s brush clean and clear.
- Best Deshedding Cat Brush for Long Hair: Petgle Cat Grooming Brush and Deshedding Tools for Long-Haired Cats
If you have a cat with long hair, this deshedding brush is the perfect addition to your cat’s grooming kit.
- Best Slicker Deshedding Cat Brush: Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush Grooming Tool
If you are looking for the perfect slicker brush with a self-cleaning feature, this product is exactly what you need.
- Best Short Hair Deshedding Cat Brush: FURminator Short Hair Deshedding Tool
If you have a cat with short hair, this deshedding cat brush can do wonders for your cat’s fur and improve their coat.
- Best Professional Deshedding Cat Brush: Lavbella Self Cleaning Groomer Brush
Recommended by groomers, this deshedding cat brush can help improve the quality of your cat’s coat.
- Most Innovative Deshedding Cat Brush: Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush
This innovative deshedding cat brush not only removes loose hair but also helps distribute the natural oils through your cat’s coat.
- Best Dematting and Deshedding Cat Brush: Coastal Pet Safari Dematting Comb
This dematting and deshedding cat brush is available in the form of a comb making it perfect for sensitive skin.
- Best Glove-Style Deshedding Cat Brush: Kennels and Kats Pet Grooming Gloves
These specially made grooming gloves are perfect for cats who do not like the process of grooming.
- Dual-Sided Design: Start with 9 teeth side for stubborn mats and tangles and finish with 17 teeth side for thinning and deshedding. Achieve faster and more professional dematting and grooming results
- Skin Friendly to Your Pets: Our Dematting Brush is designed with Sharpened but Fine Rounded Teeth, allows you easily and safely remove mats, tangles, knots, loose hair without irritation or scratching
- Effective Deshedding Tool: This undercoat rake gently removes loose hair, and eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt.Perfect solution for dogs and cats with thick fur or dense double coat care
What Is a Deshedding Cat Brush?
A deshedding cat brush is a special brush used to remove excess hair from both long and short-haired cats.
The deshedding brush is an essential grooming tool that improves the quality of your cat’s coat and skin. The brush helps with hair removal and manages hairballs. The bristles of this brush can have a therapeutic effect on your cat’s skin as it feels like a massage.
Do Deshedding Brushes Work for Cats?
Yes, the deshedding cat brush works.
Deshedding brushes work wonders for cats as they help remove tangles and mats from their coats. They are made with durable materials such as stainless steel that can help counter dirt and dander from the top coat.
Additionally, they also work great with their undercoat to manage your cat shedding excessive hair. These brushes work great as a deshedder and can be used for managing pet hair of cats, dogs, and even horses.
What are the Benefits of Deshedding Cat Brush?
There are several benefits of using a deshedding cat brush:
- Improves Health. These brushes help improve the overall health of your cat. These shedding tools and cat combs have a massaging feature that helps remove matted fur. Additionally, these undercoat deshedding tools also take care of detangling your cat’s coat.
- Builds Coat. These brushes not only remove dead hair from your cat’s fur but also offer shed control properties. This improves the coat’s life for both small and large cats.
- Improves Bond. Cat deshedding tools help improve the bond between you and your pet through every grooming session. Some of the best cat brushes feature an ergonomic handle that helps reach places that are hard to reach, like the neck and tail. This promotes self-grooming in small cats and cats with sensitive skin.
- Keeps Your Cat Clean. Overall, these deshedding brushes can keep your cat’s coat clean. This promotes a healthy lifestyle and your cat feeling their best every day. These grooming kits also help distribute the natural oils through your cat’s body that also removes loose hair and lint, and also prevent shedding hair.
The Best Deshedding Cat Brushes Reviewed
There are many deshedding cat brushes on the market. To help owners find the right one for their pets, we have reviewed some of the best products, readily available on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: This brush has a dual head design which includes nine teeth on one side for dematting and tangles and 17 teeth on the other side for deshedding and thinning of loose hair.
The slightly sharpened blades smoothly cut through the most rigid mats making the grooming process much more effective. It also reduces shedding through regular brushing by removing excess dead hair from your pet’s undercoat, leaving you with a clean and hair-free home.
Brush Type: Double-Sided Dematting Rake
- Faster and more professional dematting
- Designed with sharpened but fine rounded teeth
- Removes mats, tangles, knots, and loose hair without irritation
- Removes dander and trapped dirt
- Non-Slip rubber handle for comfortable holding
- The product might get caught in your cat’s fur
- It is a bit on the expensive side
Review: Start with nine teeth side for stubborn mats and tangles and finish with 17 teeth side for thinning and deshedding. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This high-quality cat brush features a stainless steel needle with a 60-degree bend and some elasticity, which will buffer the knotted hair during brushing and grooming.
Additionally, it won’t pull your pet’s hair or cause damage, so your pet would feel comfortable and enjoyable using them. It also has skin-friendly beads on the ends of the bristles that can protect your pet’s skin without causing any form of skin damage.
Brush Type: Deshedding Brush
- Remove loose undercoat up to 90%
- Easy to remove all shedding hair from the brush
- Brushing and tickling can occur simultaneously
- Stainless steel needles with a 60-degree bend for safety
- Easy-to-use product
- Not suitable for cats with long and thick coats
- Might poke your cat in the eye in rare cases
Review: Hesiry cat & dog brushes work by entangling loose hair with tiny needles rather than cutting hair by pulling it. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This self-cleaning slicker brush not only helps you save time while grooming but also avoids injury to your cat’s skin and your fingers. It has anti-static functions and, therefore, can be used during any season.
With the help of this brush, you can counter loose hair, which will no longer fly around the house and stick to your clothes and furniture. This will help keep your cat happy and satisfied, a win-win for both you and your pet.
Brush Type: Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Features an ergonomic and durable non-slip rubber handle
- Can be used on Small, Medium, and Large short/ long-haired animals
- Features self-cleaning buttons
- Remove knots safely and comfortably
- Provides you with a clean and hygienic home environment
- The self-cleaning mechanism might malfunction in rare cases
- There are better products available in the same price range
Review: The ergonomic handle includes a silicone, slip-resistant grip that is comfortable to use and helps provide an easier experience for you and your pet. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The blade on this pet grooming brush is specifically designed for both short-haired and long-haired cats (especially those whose hair is between 1.2inches to 2.8 inches).
The ergonomically designed handle provides comfort and ease of use, making your grooming experience a pleasure for both you and your pet. The handles are specially manufactured from TPE & PP, considered eco-friendly materials. These work better than silicone products.
Brush Type: Deshedding Brush
- Removes dead and loose undercoat
- Designed for both short-haired and long-haired pet
- Ergonomically designed handle for comfort
- Made from eco-friendly materials
- Free replacement warranty against any defects
- The brand has only three years of experience
- Might cause scratching on the skin
Review: The brand offers a 2.5” version that is especially for use with small to medium size pets and a 4” version that is more suited to large and giant pets. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This product has been designed to keep the comfort of you and your pet in mind. It features flexible bristles paired with a special ergonomic handle that can give your pet a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
This is not just suitable for cats and dogs, but also for any pet. It removes dirt, oils, dander, and skin flakes that might otherwise lead to various types of skin diseases. The gentle bristles help your pet relax during the grooming process.
Brush Type: Slicker Brush
- Voted best overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets
- Trusted by millions of pet owners
- Great for cats & dogs of all fur types
- Features fine, angled bristles, and ergonomic comfort grip
- Easy to wipe away collected fur
- The product might not be very durable
- Might cause an allergic reaction in rare cases
Review: Reduces shedding, detangles, and removes dirt & debris. Additionally, it also keeps coat looking shiny and healthy. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This Furminator deshedding tool for cats has a short hair stainless steel deshedding edge that has the ability to reach through the topcoat and safely remove loose hair and undercoat. It does so without damaging the coat or cutting the skin.
Additionally, the FURejector button easily releases hair, making deshedding easier than ever. It has an ergonomic handle for comfort and ease of use as you deshed your cat. You can also reduce hairballs as up to 2/3 of the hair a cat sheds is ingested during self-grooming.
Brush Type: Deshedding Tool
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and easy use
- Remove loose hair without damaging the coat
- Deshedding tool for small (up to 10 lbs) cats with short hair
- Helps target the undercoat with ease
- Not suitable for cats with long hair
- Could cause itching in rare cases
Review: The brush’s Stainless steel deshedding edge reaches through the topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This upgraded cat brush is perfect for cats with long, short, medium, thick, thin, or curly hair. It can also be used with dogs and other pets. This deshedding brush, if used on a regular basis, will remove loose hair and tangles.
It also helps clear knots, dander, and trapped dirt, which might lead to health complications. This leaves your cat’s coat shiny and healthy. It features a one-click cleaning button that collects and wipes out the hair in a single sweep. The ergonomic handle allows you to work the brush for hours without getting tired.
Brush Type: Self-Cleaning Grooming Brush
- Suitable for long, short or medium, thick, thin, or curly-haired dogs and cats
- Removes loose hair, tangles, knots, dander, and trapped dirt
- Convenient to use with a one-click cleaning button
- Made from premium environmental protection material
- Perfect for sensitive skin
- The product is a bit on the expensive side
- The product might be challenging to clean
Review: The button of the dog brush for shedding short hair in front saves time and energy when grooming and cleaning. You can slicker brush your pet for hours and never get tired. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Summary: Remove up to 95% of shedding fur from your cat or dog within minutes with this deshedding tool. All you need to do is simply comb gently over your dog or cat’s coat.
Within seconds you will have a fistful of fur, and after 5 minutes, you will be amazed at just how much loose hair has been removed. Remove the Stainless Steel comb quickly & efficiently by pressing the Quick Release Button on the head of the tool.
Brush Type: Grooming Brush
- Removes hair in just 10 minutes
- Leaves your furniture and clothes clean
- The product is extremely durable and made to last
- Keep allergies at bay
- Easy-to-use product
- The product might catch rust with frequent use
- The product might scratch your skin in rare cases
Review: This product can remove 95% of the dead and loose hair in just a span of 10 minutes. This improves your cat’s overall coat life. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Summary: The Safari Dual-Sided Dog Shedding Blade is designed to remove loose hair and leave your pet with a clean, healthy coat. Can be used with handles together or separated. Safari grooming tools are easy to use for every coat type and feature ergonomic comfort-grip handles.
These quality products help to reduce shedding, mats, and tangles while promoting healthy coats. Plus, the brush is made with stainless steel that lasts a long time.
Brush Type: Dematting Comb
- Easily removes stubborn mats and tangles
- Features serrated stainless steel blades
- Perfect for cats with coarse or long, matted coats
- Designed for comfortable gripping
- Suitable for medium to longhaired coats
- Not suitable for cats with short hair
- More suited for dogs rather than cats
Review: This product is especially helpful for coarse or long, matted coats. Additionally, the blades can be reversed for right or left-handed use. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Summary: This cat brush glove collects loose fur on the specially designed silicone tips. The grooming glove has been designed to pick up loose fur and hair that is often found on couches, beds, comforters, blankets, clothes & more.
This not only makes it a perfect grooming glove but also a great tool for picking up loose hair from around the house. It features a breathable mesh and elastic spandex fabric that allows for a good fit on most hand sizes.
Brush Type: Grooming Gloves
- Easy to wash
- Helps distribute oils throughout your pet’s coat
- Feature 260 silicone tips
- Designed to gently detangle fur & dirt
- Stimulates your pet’s skin and improves circulation
- You might have to buy a left-handed version separately
- The rubber might wear out with time
Review: This grooming mitt stimulates your pet’s skin, thus improving blood circulation for a shiny coat. It also softly massages for a relaxing spa-like experience. Based on Amazon customer reviews, this deshedding cat brush scores 4.2 out of 5 stars.
What Should I Look for in a Deshedding Cat Brush?
Here are the key factors to consider when choosing the right deshedding cat brush:
- Purpose. Before you decide on a brush, you need to figure out what the purpose of the brush is. If you are looking for something to manage your cat’s loose hair, you might be better off with a slicker brush. However, if you are looking for some for your cat’s undercoat, you might be better off with a rake brush. Talk to your vet for the best brush for your cat.
- Coat Type. The coat type can play a significant role in determining the type of brush you can opt for. For long and curly coats, you might need a strong brush that has been specially made for that purpose.
- Cost. The brush should not be expensive but still, get the job done easily. Buying an overly expensive brush might not be a good idea when a cheaper one can do the trick.
- Cleanliness. The brush you buy needs to be easy to clean. This ensures that hygiene is maintained and the chances of your cat falling ill are reduced.
- Durability. The brush needs to be durable and last a long time. A cheap brush might look great, but if it does not last, then there is no point in buying it.
How Often Should a Cat Be Deshed?
Cats should be deshed from once every few days to once per week, depending on the coat’s type & length and shedding season.
For cats with long and curly coats, a special long hair deshedding tool might come in handy. These tools have a well-designed grip handle that keeps stray hair at bay.
If your cat has medium to short hair, then they can be deshed once a week.
What is the Best Way to Deshed a Cat?
According to the National Cat Groomers Institute, the best way to deshed a cat is to use a 6 to 8-inch long metal comb that has fine to medium teeth.
This will help remove the dead coat from the skin and also capture all mats that are lying hidden. This is also the perfect way to solve these tangles without irritating your cat’s skin.