What Deshedding Shampoo is Best for Cats?
- Best Overall Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: FURminator Deshedding Shampoo for Cats
A high-quality and well-rounded deshedding pet care product that manages excess fur loss by promoting healthy skin and coat.
- Best Waterless Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: FURminator Super Shine Ultra Premium Shampoo
Using a gentle formula of plant proteins and omega fatty acids, this no-rinse shampoo is safe for cats as young as six weeks.
- Best Concentrated Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: Earthbath Pet Shed Control Shampoo
Made with natural ingredients, the shampoo has a concentrated formula that allows using less product for a full bath.
- Best Organic Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for Cats
This cat shampoo stops excessive shedding, nourishes the skin, and leaves a lasting fragrance while being affordable.
- Best Hypoallergenic Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: Breezytail PetO’Cera Cat Shampoo
Vet-formulated and hypoallergenic cat shampoo with ultra-moisturizing properties for healthy skin and coat and shed-control.
- Best Budget-Friendly Deshedding Shampoo for Cats: Top Performance Shed Patrol Deshedding Shampoo
Offering the largest amount of product for the lowest price, this deshedding pet shampoo is affordable, safe, and efficient.
Does Deshedding Shampoo Work for Cats?
Yes, the deshedding shampoo for cats works.
The deshedding shampoo for cats works by nourishing the cat’s fur and skin with omega fatty acids and vitamins, so the fur is less likely to become brittle and fall out from shedding.
Shed control is important for preventing the formation of hairballs. Hairballs are hazardous to the cat’s overall health.
Do All Cats Need to Use Deshedding Shampoo?
No, not every cat needs to be bathed with deshedding shampoo, but it is generally recommended to regularly bathe your cat, especially if your cat has medium to long fur.
A cat with short hair can still benefit from a deshedding shampoo but not on a regular basis. Only hypoallergenic cats (cats that do not shed) do not benefit from a deshedding shampoo.
The Best Deshedding Shampoo for Cats Reviewed
If searching the pet supplies section for a deshedding shampoo for cats, you will find hundreds of options. With so many choices, it can be hard to select the right product for your cat. To make things easy we reviewed the best deshedding cat shampoos.
Summary: Made with proteins, vitamins, and essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6), the pet shampoo controls shedding by supporting healthy skin and coats. The shampoo has a non-drying and non-irritating, hypoallergenic formula suitable for cats with sensitive skin.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, proteins, and vitamin E
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Promotes healthy skin and coat
- Helps control shedding
- Recommended by vets and groomers
- Can also be used as a dog shampoo
- More expensive than other entries on this list
Review: Most users on Amazon gave this FURminator Deshedding Shampoo for Cats high ratings due to its results on their cat’s fur and the fact that it’s hypoallergenic. Some customers, however, mention that the price is too high.
Summary: The shampoo helps reduce excess shedding and prevents hairballs using a formula of hydrolyzed plant proteins and omega fatty acids. The product is waterless or rinse-free meaning it is used without water. Plus, it is free from parabens and other harsh chemicals.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Hydrolyzed wheat and oat proteins, omega fatty acids, calendula, cava, papaya extracts, aloe vera, mild surfactants, vitamin E
- With plant proteins and extracts
- Waterless, no-rinse formula
- No parabens and chemical dyes
- Easy-use pump bottle
- Excellent cat grooming product
- Possible formula changes
Review: Amazon reviews are positive and say that the Furminator Deshedding Rinse-Free Foaming Shampoo worked great. Customers are happy it is made in the USA. However, some users have noted an apparent change in the formula reducing its effectiveness.
Summary: This well-rounded pet shampoo moisturizes the cat’s skin using all-natural ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, green tea, ginseng, and Awapuhi. The potent and concentrated formula helps reduce shedding, dander, and controls allergens.
Shampoo Scent: Green tea
Key Ingredients: Organic shea butter, aloe vera, green tea, ginseng, Awapuhi, fatty acids
- Reduces shedding and prevents hairballs
- Does not wash topical use pest treatments
- Soap, sulfate, dye, and paraben-free formula
- pH-balanced and cruelty-free shampoo
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Fragrance may be strong for some users
Review: Reviewers on Amazon are mostly positive statements regarding the condition in which it left their cat’s fur and its usefulness in reducing shedding, but some are quick to note the fragrance was too strong for them.
Summary: This shampoo is formulated to reduce excess shedding by nourishing the cat’s fur and undercoat with a blend of essential amino acids, oils, and an array of vitamins. In addition to being effective and affordable, the shampoo leaves a pleasant and lasting fragrance after use.
Shampoo Scent: White ginger and nectarine
Key Ingredients: Wheat and oatmeal proteins, flaxseed oil, grapeseed oil, alpha hydroxy acid, DL-panthenol, vitamins A, D, and E
- Organic and high-quality formula
- Enriched with natural ingredients
- Nourishes the cat’s skin and coat
- Leaves a lasting fragrance
- Available at an affordable price
- Only one bottle size (8 fl oz)
Review: While the majority of pet parents rated this product highly with claims it helped reduce excess shedding and dander in their cat, others stated they were unsure the shampoo was doing its job and stated the amount their cat shed was the same before and after a bath.
Summary: Hypoallergenic and pH-balanced, this cat shampoo helps prevent hairballs and excess shedding using safe ingredients like botanical extracts and allantoin. The shampoo is tear-free and formulated by veterinarians. It is gentle enough to be used on kittens.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Water, botanical extracts, allantoin
- Cleans and removes trapped dust, dirt, and bacteria
- Tear-free and hypoallergenic formula for sensitive skin
- Helps prevent hairballs and reduces shedding
- Rich in herbal supplements
- pH balanced and free from harsh chemicals
- The bottle may get damaged in transit
Review: Consumers noted positive outcomes when using this product on their pets stating their coats were left feeling silky and looking great. A small percentage of cat owners, however, stated displeasure with leaking packing.
Summary: Made with natural ingredients to enhance the health and vitality of your pet’s coat, this deshedding shampoo cleans, deodorizes, and relieves itchiness.
Shampoo Scent: Exotic mandarin
Key Ingredients: Wheat germ oil, aloe vera, and vitamins
- Made with natural ingredients
- Controls shedding and itchiness
- Supports healthy skin and coat
- Can be used for both cats and dogs
- Available in two sizes (17 fl oz; 1 gallon)
- Some cats may dislike the scent
Review: Most users enjoyed the scent of this product and noted it left their pet with less loose hair and made deshedding a simple process, but a small number didn’t seem to notice a difference in the amount of pet hair left behind.
What Should I Look for in Deshedding Shampoos for Cats?
When searching for the best deshedding shampoo, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here is a list of things to consider:
- Natural Ingredients. Always checkout cat shampoos made with all-natural and ideally organic ingredients. Good ingredients include aloe vera, buttermilk, shea butter, etc.
- No Harsh Chemicals. Pet parents must steer clear of shampoos containing parabens, sulfates, and artificial additives (dyes and fragrances).
- Concentration. A highly concentrated shampoo will lather easily even if using a small amount of product. In the long run, this is money-saving.
- Shampoo Scent. The shampoo fragrance should be pleasant for both you and your cat. This is important to ensure comfortable use of the product.
- Brand. Finally, consider the brand you are purchasing. A trustworthy brand will be open about its ingredients and feature reviews from other customers.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Deshedding Cat Shampoo?
Certain ingredients in cat deshedding shampoos and other pet care products are hazardous. Here are the ingredients that should not be in your cat’s shampoo:
- Parabens. Parabens are preservatives used to increase the shelf life of a product but they can cause adverse reactions in your cat such as itching, blisters, and swelling.
- Phenols. Known to cause vomiting, tremors, and respiratory distress, this mildly acidic, toxic white crystalline solid is used as a disinfectant in some cat shampoos.
- Sulfates. Sulfates are inexpensive foaming agents that can be effective in removing dirt and oil but can cause excessive dryness in a cat’s skin and fur.
- Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a carcinogen known to promote the growth of tumors. It is a rare preservative in cat shampoos, but it is worth mentioning.
How Often Should You Bathe a Cat With Deshedding Shampoo?
According to the National Cat Groomers Institute of America, it is recommended you bathe your cat with a deshedding shampoo every 4 to 6 weeks.
The frequency of using a deshedding pet shampoo depends on the length of your cat’s fur. A cat with a short coat needs fewer bathing sessions than a long-haired cat. The use of the deshedding shampoo also depends on the cat’s overall skin/coat health.
How Fast does Deshedding Shampoo for Cats Work?
The deshedding shampoo starts working within a few minutes but may take up to two hours from the initial application to complete its effects. You can expect a visible improvement or in this case, reduced shedding after several uses.
Is Deshedding Shampoo for Cats Worthwhile?
Yes, the deshedding shampoo for cats is worthwhile. Even a cat with short hair needs an occasional bath with a deshedding shampoo, and if the cat’s coat is longer, the shampoo is essential for shed control and preventing hairball-related issues.