Best Dog Backpack for Biking Summary
Our Top Pick
This dog backpack for biking is superior in terms of quality, durability, and design.
|Get on Amazon|
Lightweight and easily portable dog backpack for biking in the park.
|Get on Amazon|
Best Airline Approved
A simple yet efficient design of a small dog backpack that is suitable for hiking, biking, and flying.
|Get on Amazon|
Practical and expandable dog backpack for biking available at an affordable price.
|Get on Amazon|
Best for Toy Breeds
Lightweight backpack carrier with a minimalistic design perfect for toy breed dogs.
|Get on Amazon|
Best for Medium Dogs
Durable and reliable front-facing dog backpack for hiking that can withstand heavier dogs.
|Get on Amazon|
How can I Take My Dog on a Bike Ride?
There are two ways you can take your dog on a bike ride: having her run along aside you or carrying her in a backpack or basket.
Large dogs are usually capable of running alongside you while you ride but smaller dogs might have a hard time keeping up. Even large dogs have to be fit and accustomed to rides to be able to ride with you comfortably.
Dogs you may have to carry include small dogs, sick dogs, senior dogs, and short-nosed dogs.
Is it Legal to Ride a Bike With a Dog?
Yes, it is legal to ride a bike with a dog. Laws can differ in certain areas, so be sure to check with your local law enforcement and traffic guidelines to prevent any legal complications.
Usually, riding with your dog in a backpack should not be a problem in any location. However, having your dog run alongside you may be legislated in some areas.
If it is, in fact, legal to ride with your dog in your area, you should do so cautiously to keep yourself, your dog, and other road users safe.
Can I Bike With My Dog in a Backpack?
Yes, you can bike with your dog in a backpack. As long as you and your dog are comfortable going on a ride together, there is no reason why you shouldn’t.
Just be sure to familiarize your pooch with a backpack before your first adventure. Short rides around the house are a great starting point before embarking on full journeys around the neighborhood.
Choosing the right backpack is also instrumental in ensuring that both you and your dog enjoy yourselves during your ride.
Is it Safe to Take a Dog on a Bike Ride?
Yes, it is safe to take a dog on a bike ride. If you are carrying your dog in a bag or basket, it is best to stick with small dogs with a maximum weight of 50 lbs or as much as you can handle.
With the right backpack, you should be able to ride your bike safely with your dog. Remember to take the necessary precautions like fastening the straps tightly and riding in the right lane. You should also have your dog in a harness rather than a dog collar while riding.
If you follow these and your area’s traffic laws, you will be sure to have a safe ride with your doggie.
The Best Dog Backpacks for Biking Reviewed
Here’s a list of what we believe to be the best dog backpacks for biking.
Summary: This collapsible bike carrier comes with all the bells and whistles of a good dog backpack for biking. First, it is well-ventilated on multiple sides to maximize airflow to your dog to keep her cool at all times. Other helpful features include a safety strap, padded shoulder straps, a fleece bottom pad, mesh pockets, and a drawstring mesh at the top to secure your dog in the bag. Finally, the bag is multifunctional, and it can carry up to 18 lbs.
Best use: Rides with small breed dogs.
Sizes available: Medium
- Multi-functional (works as a bike backpack, basket, and car seat)
- Well ventilated to keep your dog cool even on hot days
- Safety leash onto which you can attach your dog to keep her from jumping out
- Padded adjustable shoulder straps for extra comfort
- Removable fleece pad at the bottom
- Mesh side pockets for storing gear and supplies like water, phone, and poop bags
- Collapsible design for easy storage
- Available in one size and color
Review: Customers of this dog backpack for biking absolutely love it. They love that it is easy to assemble, maintain and that it is so well-made. The multifunctional nature of the bag also allows dog parents to take their furry friends everywhere with no problem.
Summary: Made with water-resistant polyester fabric, this carrier comes in three stylish colors to keep you looking good while enjoying the outdoors with your doggie. The carrier has two large mesh windows to keep your dog cool in hot temperatures. In case of rain, the top is waterproof, so you know your dog is safe. It can take dogs up to 18 lb in weight and can expand on one side if you decide to take a break from riding in the park.
Best use: Rides to the park.
Sizes available: Medium
- Well-ventilated for optimum airflow.
- Extensible side to provide more space
- Waterproof top to protect your dog from rain
- Reflective strips for easy visibility at night
- Comes in three colors: blue, black, and purple
- Removable sherpa at the bottom
- Comes in only one size
Review: Dogs adore this carrier as much as their owners. Many dog owners report that their dogs are excited to get into the carrier for bike rides. They say that the bag works just as well as a travel carrier for long car rides.
Summary: With a separate compartment for you, this backpack is made to serve both the dog and dog owner. On top, it has a handle for when you need to lift the bag. It also has a safety tether, water bottle sleeves, and three straps to keep you comfortable while carrying your dog. As if that isn’t enough, it can carry up to 25 lbs.
Best use: Travel, since it is airline approved.
Sizes available: Large.
- Foldable and breathable mesh top that allows your dog optimal airflow
- Top handle for easy carrying
- Has a compartment in which you can store other items like a computer
- Two water bottle sleeves
- Multiple straps for optimal comfort and support
- Safety tether onto which to attach your dog
- Carries up to 25 lbs
- Only works as a backpack since it can't attach to a bike's handlebars
Review: Customers say this bag is very comfortable and some dogs even fall asleep in it. The inside is very spacious, providing ample space for small dogs to freely move without constraint. The bag also has a very durable build that handles well, even with stubborn dogs.
Summary: The Idee backpack has all the features of a good biking pet carrier. It has multiple points of access to your dog, three breathable windows for ventilation, three pockets, and an expandable compartment. The bag is also foldable to take up less space during storage. To give you more support while carrying the bag, it has a chest strap between the shoulder straps.
Best use: Rides around the neighborhood.
Sizes available: Large
- Easily foldable design
- Three windows for ventilation and easy access
- Pockets to store supplies and gear
- Expandable compartment during rest time
- Poop bag dispenser
- Comes in two colors: blue and gray
- Comes in one size
Review: Fans of the Idee dog backpack for biking describe it as well-made and well-designed. Dog owners love that it is very easy to put together and provides ample space for their dogs to sit and even stand comfortably. The thick material protects the bag from scratches by destructive dogs enabling it to last a long time.
Summary: The Rabbicute carrier is an excellent choice for hiking with toy breed dogs under 12 lbs. Outstanding features of the bag include a safety leash, side pockets, removable support pad, breathable fabric, and a belt buckle. The brand offers three colors and sizes to choose from. It is comfortable to carry at the front and at the back due to its extra supportive straps.
Best use: Rides with toy breeds (eg. Chihuahua).
Sizes available: Medium, Large, and Extra Large.
- Comes in four sizes and three colors
- Padded shoulder straps for comfortable carrying
- Removable foam mat at the bottom for extra comfort
- Breathable mesh window for air circulation
- Reflective strip for easy visibility
- Safety leash to keep your dog from escaping
- Pockets to store supplies
- Low weight capacity of 12 lbs
Review: Pet owners say this dog backpack for biking is well made and highly recommend it for others with small dog breeds. They say the backpack is not only comfortable for the dog to sit in but also for the human to carry. The padding around the bag makes it a pleasant experience for both dogs and dog owners alike.
Summary: With five different sizes and two colors to choose from, this shoulder bag will meet the needs of any dog owner. Not to mention that it can take up to 50 lbs of weight. The bag has multiple sets of straps all of which are padded to give you the best riding experience possible. The variety of sizes makes sure every pet parent has a choice, and the brand provides a very thorough sizing chart to help you choose the best size for your dog.
Best use: Rides with medium-sized dogs
Sizes available: Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large.
- Comes in five sizes and two colors
- High weight capacity of 50 lbs
- Padded shoulder and waist straps for comfy carrying
- The bag has a very thorough sizing chart
- Large storage pockets
- Safety hook to attach to a dog harness
- Pricier than most dog backpacks
Review: This dog backpack for biking is a hit among dogs and dog owners. One dog says his dog loves the bag so much she gets excited when it is brought out. The bag’s large size and durable build seem to be what draws most dog owners to it but the comfortable straps are hard to ignore as well.
What is the Best Type of Backpack for Biking?
The best dog backpack for biking is the Barkbay Pet Carrier Bicycle Basket Bag. The bag meets all the considerations of a good biking bag which include:
- Size. Find a backpack that is the right size for your dog. The bag should have enough space for your dog to fit comfortably and leave some room for slight movements. If possible, measure your dog to find out its proportions before purchasing a bag.
- Comfort. The bag should not only be comfortable for your dog but for you as well. The straps shouldn’t hurt your skin, and the weight should not be more than you can carry.
- Ventilation. A good backpack must be breathable to allow air to flow through it continuously. This helps to keep your dog cool and aerated during your bike rides.
- Safety. There should be a safety hook or strap in the bag onto which you can attach your dog to keep her from escaping from the bag.
- Good material. Finally, the bag should be made with durable fabric so it can last you and your dog a long time. The bag should also be waterproof in case it rains during your ride.
- Attach, remove, and carry with ease. This versatile bicycle basket serves as a pet carrier and convenient storage for your outings.
- Durable metal frame and solid oxford fabric. High-quality craftsmanship and modern quick release handlebar adapter.
- Easily disassembles and reassembles for convenient use as a dog bike basket, pet bed, or dog car carrier.
What are the Benefits of Biking With a Dog?
Biking with your dog by the side comes with several benefits. Here is a short review of each:
- Bonding time. Going on rides with your dog allows you to spend more time with your dog. This can especially be helpful for busy parents who spend a lot of time away from home.
- Dogs love it. An outdoor bike ride would be exciting for any dog as she gets to spend some time outside her kennel and have an intimate experience with you.
- Mental stimulation. Outdoor activities stimulate the mind in a positive way which can foster strong mental agility and capacity, especially in growing dogs.