Best Dog Boat Ramps Summary
Our Top Pick
With its premium quality, durable yet lightweight design, and non-slip walking surface, this is our top pick.
|Get on Amazon|
Weighing just about 13 pounds and having an inflatable body, this ramp is the most affordable on our list.
|Get on Amazon|
The simple hook mechanism in the boat’s boarding ladder makes this product our pick for the most convenient.
|Get on Amazon|
Easy to Store
The easily foldable mesh body and aluminum handles make this dog boat ramp space-friendly and easy to store.
|Get on Amazon|
From webbing straps to special boat clamps to grabber’s teeth, this dog boat ramp is highly equipped.
|Get on Amazon|
The outstanding 600 lb loading capacity makes this dog boat ramp extremely durable and suited for large breeds.
|Get on Amazon|
What is a Dog Boat Ramp?
A dog boat ramp is a ramp explicitly designed to assist dogs in climbing aboard boats or similar water vehicles without any human assistance.
The dog boat ramp ensures easy access to boats for dogs who may not easily climb on and off due to health conditions, mobility issues, or other complications.
What are the Benefits of Dog Boat Ramps?
The main benefit of the dog boat ramp is allowing dogs to go in and out of boats without having to jump or be carried. Here are some of the benefits of getting petsteps designed explicitly for boats:
- Perfect Fit. Dog boat ramps are specialized ramps that specifically cater to the requirements and structure of a boat as opposed to other vehicles, SUVs, or places like cars and houses.
- Better Safety. Unlike many other vehicles with smaller ground clearances, boats may require the ramp to have a longer and a broader body which makes it suitable to use specialized boat ramps instead of normal ramps.
- Durability. Since boat ramps are used very close to water, they are almost always made of lighter, waterproof, and UV resistant material like plastic, while regular dog stairs and dog steps are made of even wood, fabric, or stainless steel.
The Best Dog Boat Ramps Reviewed
From telescoping skamper-ramps to bi-fold boat stairs, there are many different types of dog boat ramps. Here is a thorough review of the best dog boat ramps on the pet market.
Summary: Paws Aboard Doggy Boat Ladder and Ramp is an excellent pick and very suitable for dogs that are significantly overweight, arthritic, or old, with dual benefits of both durability and minimal weight. It is an ideal mate to have fun boating time with dogs effortlessly.
Weight Capacity: About 150 lbs
Size: 64 x 17 x 4 inches
- Very durable
- Lightweight and easy to hoist on a boat
- Ideal for arthritic and older dogs
- It is not a snap-on-snap-off ramp
- Does not work well with Pontoon boats
Review: With 3.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Paws Aboard Doggy Boat Ladder and Ramp is a decent ramp to buy with all the essential features in place. It is available for a competitive and decent price.
Summary: Perfect for all swimming environments, Solstice Inflatable Pup Plank Pet Ramp consists of a weighted wire mesh that sinks below the water, making it ideal for pets to enter the ramp through a valid entry point.
Weight Capacity: Up to 110 lbs
Size: 48 x 32 x 5 inches
- A weighted mesh entry point
- Built-in D rings
- Two 8 foot tie ropes
- Comes with a repair kit, pump, and a carry bag
- The wire mesh or netting does not offer enough traction to climb easily
Review: It has 3.6 stars out of 5 on Amazon, and therefore, the Solstice Inflatable Pup Plank Pet Ramp makes a good purchase in terms of dog ramps.
Summary: Great Day Load-A-Pump Pet Loading Platform is very versatile and can be used with any boat. Once attached to the boarding ladder of a boat, it is fully functional. It is constructed out of lightweight and highly durable aircraft aluminum and has gripping ridges installed to ensure safer use.
Weight Capacity: 200 lbs
Size: 24.5 x 17.5 x 3 inches
- Large weight capacity
- Made of aircraft aluminum
- Durable yet lightweight
- Easy to use
- Perfect for any boat with a dog boat boarding ladder
- The weight capacity is lower than advertised
Review: With 4.2 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Great Day Load-A-Pup Pet-Loading Platform is an ideal dog boat ramp to buy. It is also a universal ramp for any boat with a boat ladder.
Summary: Drifter Marine Dog Boarding Boat Ladder is very durable as it is made from anodized aluminum and has mesh netting for slip-proof loading of dogs. The arms and the climbing platform are easily foldable, making them suitable for storage.
Weight Capacity: 125 lbs
Size: 41 x 18 x 5 inches
- Constructed with anodized aluminum material, which adds to its durable design.
- Easily adjustable and can be fitted into boat gunwales up to 6 inches.
- Folding dog boat ladder
- Easy storage
- Less versatile than similar products
Review: Rated with 4.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Drifter Marine Dog Boarding Boat Ladder is one of the best picks in the market.
Summary: Momarsh Foldable Dog Ramp consists of a foldable body, equipped with adjustable gunnel clamps, and is ideal for boats. It consists of tree grabber teeth, webbing straps for extra traction, separate clamps for boats, and a draining dura mesh floor.
Weight Capacity: NA
Size: 29.5 x 19.5 x 6 inches
Review: With 4.1 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Momarsh Foldable Dog Ramp is an impressive addition for spending a quality evening with your pooch.
Summary: Harbor Mate Aluminum Pontoon Boat Ramp is a heavy-duty pontoon boat ramp with a whopping load capacity of 600 lbs, making it very strong and durable. It is made of aluminum and is 6 feet long.
Weight Capacity: 600lbs
Size: 72 x 24 x 3 inches
- High weight capacity suitable for big dogs
- Traction surface to prevent slipping
- Universal mounting brackets for easy attachment
- Easy to use floating dog ramp
- It cannot be used on tritoons
Review: With 4.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Harbor Mate Aluminum Pontoon Boat Ramp is one of the best pontoon boat ramps for your furry friend.
What is the Best Dog Boat Ramp?
After a thorough look at all our seven picks of Dog Boat Ramps, we’ve chosen the Paws Aboard Doggy Boat Ladder and Ramp as our best pick for a Dog Boat Ramp.
As a dog owner, here are a few things to consider while buying a suitable Dog Boat Ramp include:
- Quality. Durability and strength are two important factors. You want your dog boat ramp to be durable to avoid any injuries to your dog.
- Multipurpose Use. Versatility is another important factor while choosing the best dog boat ramp. You want your dog ramp to work with all kinds of boat docks. So, choose the one that goes well with all.
- Material. Pay attention to the material of your chosen dog water ramp. It should be able to withstand heat and moisture. It should also not be prone to corrosion. Synthetic rubber and metal ramps with ridges are recommended options.
- Weight Capacity. Also, check the weight capacity of the dog boat ramp. You don’t want your ramp to kneel under the weight of your dog. It is recommended to keep your dog’s weight in mind while choosing an appropriate ramp.
How Do You Get a Dog to Use a Boat Ramp?
There are several ways to train a dog to use a boat ramp. Still, the easiest way is to give them treats continuously until they climb through the ramp.
Make your dog go through several such practice sessions until they are comfortable doing so on their own without any treats or human assistance.
To ensure maximum safety for your pet during the training process, get a high-quality dog life jacket. This is helpful even for skilled swimmers such as Labrador Retrievers.