Table of Contents
Best Dog Conditioners Summary
- Best Overall Dog Conditioner: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Conditioner for Dogs
Manufactured with a unique formula, this anti-allergy dog conditioner also helps to detangle your dog’s fur.
- Best Soap-Free Dog Conditioner: TropiClean Kiwi And Cocoa Butter Pet Conditioner
This conditioner does not contain any soap and has a soothing and hydrating effect on your dog’s skin.
- Best Moisturizing Dog Conditioner: Veterinary Formula Solutions Ultra Oatmeal Moisturizing Conditioner
This dog shampoo and conditioner offers a moisturizing solution to your pet’s skin and coat problems.
- Most Balanced Dog Conditioner: John Paul Pet Oatmeal Conditioning Rinse for Dogs
This pet conditioner is not only pH-balanced but also helps to soothe your pet’s sensitive skin.
- Best Coat-Shining Dog Conditioner: Isle of Dogs Everyday Elements Silky Coating Conditioner For Dogs
Made with the intention to moisturize, soothe, and add a distinctive shine to your dog’s coat.
- Best Detangling Dog Conditioner: BarkLogic Leave-in Spray Conditioner
This leave-in detangling spray works great against tangles in coats and helps to remove them using natural ingredients.
Does My Dog Need Conditioner?
Pet conditioners support dog hair health, help with itchy skin, and prevent hair loss. They are usually made with beneficial natural ingredients such as aloe vera, chamomile, and coconut oil. This helps to control your dog’s deshedding.
If your dog has allergies, then there are hypoallergenic conditioner options. They are mild and easy on the dog’s skin.
What Type of Dogs Need Conditioner?
All dogs with long coats need a conditioner. The conditioner will help to detangle their coats, strengthens hair roots, and adds shine to the fur.
However, even short-haired breeds benefit from the occasional use of dog conditioners. This is becuase conditioners have hydrating and deodorizing effects and have skin/coat-friendly ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, amino acids, essential oils, and vitamin E.
The Best Dog Conditioners Reviewed
There are many dog conditioners on the market. To help pet owners navigate the products, we have selected and reviewed the best dog conditioner products available on Amazon.
Summary: Made with a special formula, this conditioner helps to detangle stubborn coat hair and softens it overall. It is also great against dry skin and relieves itching, dandruff, and other common skin problems.
Key Ingredients: Vegetable-derived conditioner & detangler, organic shea butter, colloidal oatmeal, and organic aloe vera
- Made using natural organic ingredients
- Effective moisturizing action
- pH-balanced and non-toxic
- Cruelty-free product
- Contains no soap, dyes, and colors
- The fragrance is not to everyone’s taste
Review: This conditioner is perfect if your pet has dry skin or similar skin problems. They offer a money-back guarantee too.
Summary: This conditioner features a long-lasting sweet tropical scent of kiwi and cocoa butter. It does not contain any soap, paraben, or dye, making it safe for all pets. It also helps to efficiently detangle your pet’s coat.
Scent: Kiwi & Cocoa Butter
Key Ingredients: Purified water, conditioner blend, colloidal oatmeal, wheat protein, cocoa butter, botanical blend (kiwi extract, blueberry extract, papaya extract, chamomile extract, mallow extract), conditioner agent, vitamin E, preservative, fragrance
- Helps detangle the dog’s coat
- Soothing on the dog’s skin
- Long-lasting sweet tropical scent
- Made with naturally derived ingredients
- Conditions your pet’s skin effectively
- The product’s consistency is thin
Review: This conditioner is made using high-quality natural ingredients and comes in durable spill-resistant packaging.
Summary: This conditioner contains the goodness of micronized colloidal oatmeal and jojoba that have a cooling effect on your pet’s skin. It leaves your furry friend smelling fresh and great for a long time.
Scent: Raspberry tea and pomegranate
Key Ingredients: Deionized water, polyquaternium-37, cetrimonium chloride, natural colloidal oatmeal, jojoba oil, glycerin, silk protein, shea butter, pomegranate extract, fragrance
- Formulated with premium ingredients
- Helps to hydrate your pet’s skin
- Does not wash away flea topicals
- Lasting raspberry tea and pomegranate fragrance
- Available at a budget-friendly price
- The fragrance might not suit everyone
Review: Formulated with silk protein, this conditioner is a great product if your pet has a long coat. In addition to being effective, it is also affordable.
Summary: This is a botanical rinse-out conditioner that is specially designed for dogs with sensitive skin. It gives a silky, shiny, and healthy feel to your dog’s coat. It also contains vitamin E for added strength.
Scent: Oatmeal and chamomile
Key Ingredients: Water, cetyl alcohol, oat protein, aloe leaf juice, chamomile flower extract, sweet almond oil
- Contains five conditioning agents
- Makes combing easy after a bath
- Vitamin E helps to revitalize the skin
- Needs less quantity per use
- Perfect for sensitive skin
- Contains alcohol (a controversial ingredient)
Review: This conditioner is great for hydrating your pet’s skin if it is prone to getting dry often. It also improves coat health.
Summary: This conditioner has a deep-penetrating action that reaches into the skin cells to revitalize them. It also has a freshening formula and a pleasant smell that invites more cuddles from your pets.
Scent: Jasmine and vanilla
Key Ingredients: Water, cetearyl alcohol, castor oil, stearalkonium chloride, behentrimonium chloride, panthenol, aloe leaf juice
- Helps to reduce shedding
- Contains a natural odor-neutralizing complex
- Saloon-quality results
- Adds shine to the coat
- Removes tangled fur
- It might cause an allergic reaction in some dogs
Review: This conditioner has been designed to hydrate, protect, and add shine. In addition to making the fur soft, it also makes it more manageable.
Summary: Made with a special formula, this conditioner helps to detangle your pet’s fur and makes it a lot more manageable. It also contains lavender which is a known ingredient that helps to calm down dogs.
Key Ingredients: Water, canola-based cationic surfactant, glycerin, aloe leaf juice, lavender oil, chamomile flower extract, calendula flower extract, yarrow extract
- Makes the coat easier to brush
- Contains calming lavender oil
- No sulfates, phthalates, or parabens
- Manufactured in the USA
- Cruelty-free product
- The scent might bother some dogs
Review: If your dog gets anxious during baths, then this is exactly what you need. It helps to ease muscle tension and relax your pup for a comfortable bath.
What Conditioner is Best for Dogs?
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Conditioner for Dogs is our pick for the best dog conditioner. In addition to being cruelty-free, the brand offers premium quality dog shampoo & conditioners made using natural ingredients.
When entering the market for a dog conditioner, there are a few things you need to consider:
- Natural Ingredients. Your dog’s conditioner must contain natural ingredients that are not only pet-safe but also beneficial for the skin and coat.
- No Additives. The conditioner must not contain any dyes, sulfates, or paraben, as these are not considered safe.
- Product Type. There are several grooming conditioner types. While most are traditional shampoo-type products, some brands offer waterless conditioners.
- Special Needs. You should also consider any special needs of your dog. For example, if it has allergies, get a soothing oatmeal dog conditioner.
- Affordability. Since a conditioner is a product that will be used throughout your pet’s life, you need to opt for one that you can afford.
- Brand. Finally, check the reputability of the brand. Make sure its conditioners are cruelty-free and read what other customers say about the product and brand.
- This pH-balanced conditioner with colloidal oatmeal detangles coats while re-moisturizing and soothing itchy, dry skin.
- Blended with the finest ingredients, such as vegetable-derived conditioner & detangler, organic shea butter, colloidal oatmeal, and organic aloe vera.
- Our products are designed with the health of your beloved, furry friend in mind.
What Conditioner is Safe for Dogs?
It is important to understand that only those conditioners that have been designed for dogs are safe for them. Ideally, the product should be made with all-natural ingredients.
If a conditioner contains sulfates and parabens, it is not pet-safe. Traditionally, you will find some common ingredients such as aloe vera, oatmeal, shea butter, and chamomile in most products. Some more might be added for extra benefits.
If your dog has sensitive skin and is prone to allergies, you should opt for a hypoallergenic conditioner with a mild formula that reduces the risk of an allergic reaction.
Is Human Conditioner Safe for Dogs?
No, human conditioners are not safe for dogs.
Pet shampoos and conditioners are designed to be pH balanced. The pH level of the dog’s skin is alkaline and in the range between 6.2 and 7.4.
Human skin is on the acidic side and maintains a pH level of around 5.5. Therefore, human care products (shampoos and conditioners) will disrupt the acid mantle of the dog’s skin.
How Often Should You Use Conditioner on Your Dog?
It is recommended that a dog should bathe once a month or so. This can be done using a mild shampoo and a conditioner for maximum cleaning and skin-healing action.
While washing them once a week is overkill, you can use waterless cleaning products to maintain hygiene if you feel it is required.
Using a dog conditioner, especially on long-haired dog breeds, can help prevent matting of the fur and keep the undercoat clean.