Related Articles: Best Cheap Dog Food, Anti-Yeast Dog Food, High-Fiber Dog Food, Organic Dog Food, Vegan Dog Food, Hydrolyzed-Protein Dog Food, Dog Food Subscription, Best Dog Food Containers, Dog Food, Grain-Free Dog Food, Raw Dog Food, Dry Dog Food, Wet Dog Food, Dog Food for Allergies, Dog Food for Puppies, Freeze-Dried Dog Food, Senior Dog Food, Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach, High Protein Dog Food, Limited Ingredient Dog Food, Dog Food for Pit Bull, Small Dog Foods, Dehydrated Dog Food, Dog Food for German Shepherds, Diabetic Dog Food, Large Breed Dog Food, Dog Food for Picky Eaters
- Best Overall Dog Food with Probiotics: Nulo Adult Trim Grain-Free Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
A perfect grain-free recipe for optimal digestive system support available in the form of small kibble fit for all dog breeds and sizes.
- Best Affordable Dog Food with Probiotics: “I and love and you” Nude Superfood with Prebiotics & Probiotics
Affordable, grain-free dog food with probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes for dogs of all breeds and life stages.
- Best Dog Food with Probiotics for Immunity: Wellness CORE Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Grain-free, protein-rich formula with wild game, antioxidants, and several strains of probiotics for optimal health and smooth digestion.
- Best Dog Food with Probiotics for Small Breeds: Solid Gold Wee Bit Fiber-Rich with Probiotic Support
Holistic pet food with bison meat and whole grains specially formulated for the gut health of small breed dogs.
- Best High Protein Dog Food with Probiotics: Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food With Probiotics
A protein-rich formula with beneficial microorganisms available in several bag sizes and with a money-back guarantee.
- Best Dog Food with Probiotics for Sensitive Stomachs: Purina ONE Dog Digestive Support Natural Dry Dog Food
Easily digestible dog food formula with real chicken enriched with probiotics and suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- GRAIN-FREE recipe contains no corn; wheat; soy; white potatoes; tapioca; artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives.
- HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB proprietary formula 74% animal-based protein, more amino acids and better flavor. Nulo uses fewer carbs & low glycemic ingredients
- L-CARNITINE transports fatty acids into cellular mitochondria where it is burned as energy. This boosts metabolism and helps burn weight
Probiotic dog food is a specific type of dog food with probiotics for optimal digestion and overall health benefits. Pet foods with probiotics can feature one or more strains of good bacteria.
There are different brands offering probiotic dog food. It is essential to choose a food brand with the beneficial bacteria your dog needs the most. If unsure what to feed, talk to your vet.
Yes, dog food with probiotics is good.
Gastrointestinal issues are common in dogs. Plus, research shows that 70% of the immune system depends on gut health. Switching from normal kibble to probiotic formulations for your dog’s daily meals is a popular recommendation for managing certain pet health issues.
The benefits of probiotics for dogs include:
- Healthy digestion
- Better nutrient absorption
- Improved vitamin synthesis
- GI tract detoxification
- Bad breath management
- Stronger immune system
- Skin allergy symptom relief
- Better mood and stress prevention.
However, switching your pet to dog food with prebiotics may result in digestive tract irritation. If the food switch is sudden, the dog may experience issues like diarrhea, constipation, and bloating.
Finding pet food with the best probiotics for dogs can be hard. Take a look at our list and detailed review before picking a dog food with probiotics for your pet.
Summary: A grain-free cod and lentils food recipe with a high protein to carb ratio. This food is made with L-carnitine to support the fat metabolism and promote a healthy weight. It features a single-strain probiotic and helps with digestion, immunity, and some type of allergies. The grain-free recipe is also free from artificial additives and preservatives.
Best for: All breeds and life stages; Overall dog health & weight control
Price: $6.09 per pound
- 74% of protein from animal sources
- Grain-free, high protein, low-carbohydrates formula
- L-carnitine for weight loss
- Supports digestion and immune health
- Small, triangular, and crunchy kibble
- More expensive than similar products on the list
- Great Ingredients: Deboned cod, lentils, yellow peas, sweet potatoes, chickpeas
- Not-so-Great Ingredients: Meat meals and chicken fat
Probiotic Strains: Bacillus coagulans
Review: Based on 511 ratings, this dog food with probiotics has an average rating of 4.6 / 5 stars on Amazon. Pet owners claim that their dogs have reached an ideal weight and have increased energy levels with this diet. Because of the low-fat content, they say it is also helpful for dogs with pancreatitis.
Summary: A grain-free formula with whitefish, salmon, and sweet potato featuring 34% of protein and additional superfoods like flaxseed, coconut oil, pumpkin, and turmeric. The diet is additionally enriched with probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes. The diet is formulated by a veterinarian, and because of the small kibble size, it is not recommended for large breed puppies.
Best for: Small and medium adult and senior dogs; Gut, skin, & coat health
Price: $2.52 per pound
- Real meat as the first ingredient
- Mix of probiotics, prebiotics, and digestive enzymes
- Free of fillers, artificial additives, and preservatives
- Cute, heart-shaped, crunchy kibble
- Available at a budget-friendly price
- Not recommended for large breed puppies
- Great Ingredients: Whitefish, herring meal, menhaden fish meal, flaxseeds, pumpkin, coconut oil, turmeric, salmon
- Not-so-Great ingredients: Canola oil
Probiotic Strains: Aspergillus oryzae, Trichoderma longibrachiatum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and more.
Review: Based on 1,023 global ratings, this dog food with probiotics has an average rating of 4.7 / 5 stars. Customers are satisfied with the ingredient quality and claim that even their pick eater dogs love the flavor.
Summary: A balanced, grain-free probiotic food formula with nutrient-rich superfoods that boosts the immunity of your dog and keeps them energized. The inclusion of dog probiotics, antioxidants, glucosamine, and taurine in this formula improves heart health and the longevity of your dog. Free from fillers and preservatives, the food is easily digestible and delicious.
Best for: All breeds and all life stages; Immunity and gut health
Price: $4.74 per pound
- Real meat as the first ingredient
- Grain-free and without meat by-products
- Grafted for whole-body health
- Contains antioxidant-rich superfoods
- With several strains of healthy bacteria
- The bag does not seal very well
- Great Ingredients: Duck, Flaxseed, Taurine, Chickpeas, Peas, Lentils
- Not-so-Great ingredients: Meat meals
Probiotic Strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, and Enterococcus faecium
Review: Based on 784 global ratings, this probiotic dog food has an average rating of 4.7 / 8 stars. Pet owners love its high-quality and healthy ingredients. They are also pleased with the fact that the food is made in the USA.
Summary: Formulated especially for small breed dogs, this food comes in a bison, brown rice, and pearled barley flavor. It is made with an iron-rich protein source and is boosted with live probiotics for the best health of your small breed dog. The diet is high in omega-3 fatty acids and prebiotics. The kibble is adequately sized to fit in the mouths of small breed dogs.
Best for: Small breed adult dogs; Gut health
Price: $3.24 per pound
- Pasture-raised bison as the first ingredient
- 90 million probiotics per pound of food
- Rich in fibers and omega fatty acids
- Supports digestion, brain, eye, and coat health
- Available in five protein options
- Limited number of bag sizes
- Great Ingredients: Bison, oatmeal, vitamin supplements, chicory root
- Not-so-Great Ingredients: Chicken fat
Probiotic Strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, and Lactobacillus casei
Review: Based on 1,293 global ratings, this dog diet with probiotics has an average rating of 4.8 / 5 stars. Customers highly recommend this product and even claim that this is the “gold standard” of probiotic dog food.
Summary: This food with shredded chicken and rice formula is enriched with the goodness of live probiotics. The formula uses real meat as the first ingredient and features both hard, crunchy kibble and tender, shredded meat pieces. Made in USA facilities, the food is free from preservatives and has a 100% money-back guarantee.
Best for: All breeds and life stages; Gut health
Price: $2.81 per pound
- With live probiotics and prebiotics
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Comes in several bag size options
- Available in five protein sources
- Money-back guarantee
- The kibble often forms crumbles
- Great Ingredients: Chicken, rice, fish oil, vitamin supplements
- Not-so-Great Ingredients: By-products
Probiotic Strains: Bacillus coagulans
Review: Based on 2,325 global ratings, this dog food with probiotics has an average rating of 4.8 / 5 stars. With over 10,000 five-star ratings on Amazon, pet owners claim that it improves digestive health with consistent use.
Summary: A dry and crunchy chicken-flavored formula with the goodness of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. This is a vet-recommended formula made specifically for dogs with sensitive stomachs. In addition to helping with digestion, the diet supports radiant coat, healthy skin, high energy, and a strong immune system.
Best for: Adult dogs; Digestive health
Price: $2.64 per pound
- Real chicken as the first ingredient
- Supports optimal digestive health
- Highly digestible with probiotics
- Vet-recommended food formula
- Affordable price
- Great Ingredients: Chicken, carrots, peas
- Not-so-Great Ingredients: Corn gluten meal, chicken by-product
Probiotic Strains: Bacillus coagulans
Review: Based on 2,248 global ratings, this dog food with probiotics has an average rating of 4.7 / 5 stars. Customers claim it to be perfect for their dogs with sensitive stomachs. There are also some pet owners mentioning that the food works even for picky eaters.
When choosing dog food with probiotic supplements, there are several things pet parents need to consider.
- High-quality Formula. The first thing to note is the ingredient list. The food must contain real meat and essential nutrients. Dogs with special needs may require specific formulas and need diets with certain ingredients.
- Beneficial Bacteria. When making a choice, check the probiotics in the food. Some dog foods contain one and others have multiple types of good bacteria. In addition to bacteria, the diet should contain prebiotics (dietary fiber).
- Number of Bacteria. It is not just the type of bacteria that matters – the number of probiotics is important too. This bacteria number is expressed in a special measurement called colony-forming units or simply CFUs.
- No Harmful Ingredients. To ensure pet care, the food must be free from fillers, allergens, and other potentially harmful ingredients. It must also contain no artificial preservatives and other hazardous additives.
- Brand. Lastly, you should consider the brand you are purchasing. Certain brands have a better reputation than others. Also, some pet food brands are vet-recommended. You should always read reviews from other pet parents to learn more about the formula and brand.