Best Dog Paw Balm Summary
- Best Overall Dog Paw Balm: Honest Paws Relief Paw Balm
Best dog paw balm helpful for a variety of issues like cracked paws and nose made using quality ingredients.
- Best Easy-Use Dog Paw Balm: PetLab Co. Paw Balm
This paw soother balm comes in an easy-to-use twist stick, so you can quickly apply it to your pup’s paws before and after walks.
- Most Soothing Dog Paw Balm: Vets Preferred Paw Pad Protection Balm for Dogs
This balm has a soothing effect on your pet’s cracked paws, making it feel comforted and relaxed.
- Best Natural Dog Paw Balm: Natural Dog Company Paw Soother Stick
Made using natural ingredients, this balm helps repair and restore damaged areas like the paws and nose.
- Most Versatile Dog Paw Balm: Natural Dog Company Paw Soother Tin
Able to work against various problems, this dog paw balm is highly versatile and 100% safe to use.
- Best for Cracked Paws and Nose: Natural Dog Company PawTection Dog Paw Balm
Formulated for dogs with cracked paws and noses, this balm is made with USA-sourced, natural ingredients.
- Best Moisturizing Dog Paw Balm: Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax
This balm has a moisturizing effect when applied, and it is free of harsh chemicals like colorants, sulfates, and added fragrances.
- Best pH Balanced Dog Paw Balm: Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter
Made with a pH balancing formula, this balm has been designed to protect both older dogs and small puppies in mind.
- Most Nourishing Dog Paw Balm: USDA Certified Organic Paw Balm for Dogs
This dog paw balm features a unique recipe made with wholesome ingredients that leave paw pads soft and smooth.
What is Dog Paw Balm?
A dog paw balm is a thick gelatinous ointment that can be applied to dogs’ paw pads. The role of the paw balm is to nourish and moisturize the dog’s pads, thus offering protection and a soothing effect.
The dog paw balm is great during the winter season as it keeps your dog’s paw pads in good shape. Snow, ice, salt, and deicing chemicals can damage the paws. The balms are excellent in summer too, when hot pavement can cause burns.
What are the Benefits of Dog Paw Balm?
There are several benefits of using a dog paw balm. In certain cases, when the terrain is extreme, or your dog’s paws are very sensitive, you may need to consider booties to protect their paws. However, in every case, a dog paw balm is a great tool for general dog paw care. Let us look at some benefits of dog paw balm.
- Prevents Damage. Paw balms can help avoid damage to the skin on your dog’s paw pads in the long run. It can also be used for prevention purposes in dogs spending too much time outside on rough surfaces.
- Moisturizing Benefits. The paw balm can help soothe and repair sore and cracked pads with its healing and moisturizing properties. Hydration is vital for keeping the paw pads soft and elastic.
- General Care. The balm can be used for general paw care, preventative care, or to aid in a healing/repairing process. There are different types of paw balms on the market, and each has its unique purpose.
The Best Dog Paw Balms Reviewed
Shopping on Chewy or Amazon for the perfect dog paw balm for your pet’s cracked pads? We have selected and reviewed some of the best products on the market. Let’s take a look at each.
Summary: This pet balm is made of purely natural ingredients and free from gluten, GMO, and xylitol. The hypoallergenic balm helps relieve skin irritations, rashes, minor cuts, itchy dry skin, and cracked paws. It also improves overall joint health and supports connective tissues.
- Soothes and nourishes cracked paws
- Ensures fast discomfort relief
- Made with 100% natural and organic ingredients
- Supports connective tissue and joint health
- Gluten, xylitol, and GMO-free
- Being additive-free, it expires quickly
Review: This balm is perfect for your dog, especially if they love to go out often. It helps to repair paw tissue that is damaged from extreme hot or cold surfaces.
PetLab Co. Paw Balm
Summary: This concentrated balm is rich in moisturizing oils and wax, which will help to support paws that may be dry or cracked as a result of continuous licking. Plus, it comes in an easy-to-use twist stick, so the application is no mess.
- Help soothe and moisturize
- Easy to apply
- Powerful ingredients
- Premium products
- Very simple to use
- Hefty price tag
Customer Review: Customers say the balm leaves their pets’ paws well-moisturized. They are also happy there is no strong scent and the product is very easy to use. Overall, they would recommend it to other pet owners.
Summary: This balm contains cold-pressed natural oils and waxes. As a result, it can help to soothe cracked pads and provides overall paw protection even in extreme conditions. Plus, it is made of safe and natural ingredients. The balm is suitable for dogs of all ages and sizes.
- New and improved formula
- Made with cold-pressed natural oils and waxes
- Great for chapped and dry paws
- Ensures paw protection
- GMP quality made in the USA
- Can make the dog’s paws slippery
Review: This balm is highly efficient against dry paws. It comes in large packaging, making it easy to apply to your dog’s paw pads.
Summary: This product is handcrafted by a pack of dog lovers and experts. Every balm stick is made for the health and happiness of our furry friends. The balm can help the treatment of scars and wounds and works on dry and irritated skin. It is vet-approved and moisturizing.
- Moisturizes and soothes the dog’s feet
- Vet-approved and chemical-free ingredients
- Organic, vegan, and all-natural
- With coconut oil, chamomile, mango, and cocoa butter
- Comes in a stick for easy application
- Dogs may leave oily pawprints after use
Review: This balm stick is highly portable and works great on small wounds and cuts. It also helps to reduce dryness in the paws by moisturizing them.
Summary: This balm is made using all-natural and chemical-free ingredients. This includes coconut oil, chamomile, and cocoa butter. The balm is highly efficient against scars, wounds, dryness, and irritated elbows.
- Soothes and hydrates the dog’s paw pads
- Prevents excessive licking due to dryness
- Made with high-quality organic ingredients
- Can be used as a nose balm
- Brand offers discounts for larger orders
- Slipping and oily pawprints are possible
Review: This balm has a soothing effect on your pet’s dry skin. It is made up of natural ingredients that can improve your dog’s skin.
Summary: This balm helps to form a protective wax layer on your pup’s paw pads. This helps prevent cracking and peeling. It also defends the paws against damage from harsh elements like cold snow or hot pavements. The balm is 100% natural and safe for dogs of all ages.
- Advanced pet care formula
- Prevents cracking and peeling
- Creates a wax layer on the dog pads
- All-natural and organic ingredients
- Extremely easy to apply
- Must be stored in a cool and dark place
Review: Being highly versatile, this dog product can help ease your worries about your pet’s pads. It works great against cracked and dry skin.
Summary: This wax works like invisible pet boots as it forms a thick yet breathable shield that protects against climate extremes (ice and hot pavement). Additionally, it also works great on sled dogs because of its time-tested formula. The waxes in the formula are plant-based and natural.
- With plant-based and food-grade natural waxes
- Great for itchy hot spots and similar skin issues
- Fast-drying and non-staining formula
- Carnauba wax, candelilla wax, beeswax, and oils
- Family-owned and Canada-based manufacturer
- Reports about skin allergies after using the wax
Review: According to pet parents his wax has stood the test of time and helped heal their pooches’ chapped paw pads. It is also helpful against itching problems.
Summary: This paw butter has the scent and soothing effect of oatmeal. The balm is made to provide protection and to comfort dry and cracked paws. It contains natural ingredients that are safe for your dog. The paw butter can be used in the management of several skin conditions.
- Needs specific storage and has a relatively short shelf life
Review: This paw butter is highly convenient to use because of its packaging. Additionally, it also smells great and is gentle on your dog’s skin.
Summary: This balm has been made using socially responsible practices and locally sourced ingredients. Additionally, it has eco-friendly and recyclable packaging making it easy to dispose of after use.
- With shea butter, jojoba oil, beeswax, and hemp seed oil
- 100% USDA-certified organic dog product
- Dog-friendly and pleasant smell
- Does not leave a greasy residue after application
- Excellent choice for pets with hyperkeratosis
- May cause allergies in sensitive dogs
Review: This paw balm is free from chemicals and ensures efficient protection for dry and cracked paws. Plus, it comes from a reliable brand, dog owners trust.
What is the Best Dog Paw Balm?
The Honest Paws Relief Paw Balm is the best dog paw balm available on the modern pet market. This ranking is based on several factors.
Here is a closer look at the factors one should consider when searching for the best dog paw balm:
- Organic Ingredients. It is highly advisable to get a balm made of all-natural ingredients. Dogs tend to lick themselves and you need to make sure the product is free from toxic or otherwise harmful ingredients.
- Ease of application. Your dog might not like the process of applying the balm which can make the task difficult for you too. Therefore, the paw balm you choose must be easy to apply.
- Wellness and Recovery Benefits. The dog paw balm that you choose should not only moisturize, but also nourish and soothe. Ideally, it should also be able to help heal old wounds (cuts and scrapes).
- Hot and Cold Weather Protection. The balm must work well during both hot and cold seasons. In summer, it should protect from hot pavements, and in winter, from dryness and frosts.
- Helps soothe and moisturize your pup’s paws from irritation caused by licking
- Comes in an easy-to-use twist stick, so you can quickly apply it to your pup’s paws before and after walks
- Supports your dog’s paws by providing a barrier from internal and external irritants
- Made with natural ingredients like organic shea butter and coconut oil
- Exclusively manufactured in the USA with domestically and globally sourced ingredients
Should You Use Paw Balm on Dogs?
Absolutely! Using paw balm as prevention is always a good idea. The dog’s paws are more sensitive than we think and would benefit greatly from the added protection.
During extremely cold weather, the paw pads can easily become dry and cracked. When your doggo is prancing around in the snow or on ice, there is not only a danger of that snow getting stuck in-between their toes but also the deicing chemicals causing injuries.
Can I Use Vaseline on My Dog’s Paws?
Yes, you can use Vaseline on your dog’s paws. However, Vaseline is not the ideal option, and there are far better-suited products for paw protection.
Even though Vaseline is not toxic for your dog, it can still cause issues if ingested. This can include an upset stomach which results in vomiting or diarrhea.
It is recommended to use natural balms in place of Vaseline. They will keep your pet’s paws hydrated enough and help your furry friend have a jolly playtime.
Can I Put Olive Oil on My Dog’s Paws?
Yes, olive oil can be applied to your dog’s paws. Olive oil is excellent for moisturizing and for nourishing the dog’s skin as it is rich in healthy nutrients.
Additionally, olive oil can also be included in the dog’s diet. Olive oil helps lubricate the dog’s digestive system. This ensures healthy digestion after meals and proper nutritional intake.
Can I Put Human Lotion on My Dog’s Paws?
No, you should not use human lotions on your dog. Many human lotions and balms are toxic to dogs and can do more harm than good.
Even if the lotion is made with dog-friendly ingredients, its pH balance will be different which will irritate the dog’s skin. Plus, unlike dog products, human lotions are not safe if ingested or licked.
When Should I Use Dog Paw Balm?
There are various situations that would entail the use of a paw balm. If your dog goes out a lot, you might need to use balm to prevent damage to its paws.
Let us look at some reasons why you should use a paw balm.
- Heat/Cold Protection. A dog balm can protect your dog’s paws from damage caused by extreme heat or cold.
- Prevents Contact with Chemicals. Prevents the absorption of toxic chemicals to which the paws are exposed.
- Easy on the Skin. A dog balm can help soothe sore and irritated skin. This is particularly helpful to dogs prone to skin issues.
- Good for the Nose. The paw balm can also be used on your dog’s nose and help prevent cracking during extreme temperatures.
- Helps to Heal. A paw balm can speed up the healing process of cuts, scrapes, or cracks and also soothe the skin in that area.
How Do I Apply Dog Paw Balm?
First, ensure that the paw and the pads have been wiped clean and patted dry. Then rub a thin layer of the balm all over and around the pads.
If your dog hates having someone touch its feet, you might want to start giving him regular foot massages to get him used to your touching its feet. This will hopefully mean that next time you need to apply the balm, he doesn’t make a fuss.
Hopefully, the balm absorbs quickly, but if your dog is a licker, you may need to pop a sock or some gauze and vet wrap onto the foot (reaching above the ankle) to prevent them from licking off the balm.
Can I Make My Own Dog Paw Balm?
Yes, if you are a DIY person, you can make your own dog paw balm. Here is a simple recipe for a basic paw balm, to which you can add your own ingredients and tailor it to your liking.
- 2 parts organic coconut oil
- 1 part shea butter
- 4 parts beeswax
- 2 parts organic olive oil or organic almond oil
- A couple of drops of your preferred essential oil
- Containers for the balm (such as empty lip balm jars)
- In a saucepan over low heat, mix all ingredients together
- Keep stirring until the mixture is well blended
- Pour the mixture directly into the plastic containers
- Wait until it cools down and solidifies before using.