Related Articles: Dog Winter Coat
What are the Best Rain Coats for Dogs?
- Best Overall Dog Rain Coat: HDE Dog Raincoat: Hooded Slicker Poncho
The adjustable straps on this comfortable, waterproof, and high-quality jacket make it easy to use, even when your dog is not cooperating.
- Best Dog Rain Coat for Night Walks: HAPEE Dog Raincoats With Reflective Strip Hoodie
This coat has a reflective strip design which makes your dog easily visible during night walks and foggy, rainy days.
- Best Space-Friendly Dog Rain Coat: RC Pet Products Packable Dog Rain Poncho
This poncho-style coat can be folded into itself, making it easy to store in your car or home until you need it again.
- Best Dog Rain Coat for Long-Haired Dogs: Morezi Waterproof Dog Raincoat
The fabric is soft enough for your pet to wear comfortably and prevents hair from tangling, thus being perfect for long-haired breeds.
- Best Lightweight Dog Rain Coat: Mamore Adjustable Reflective Lightweight Pet Rain Clothes with Poncho Hood
Lightweight coat that folds back when not needed, so it does not get in the way while walking or playing with your pet.
- Waterproof: Crafted from 100% polyester material with waterproof coating to keep your pet comfortable and dry even in the worst weather conditions
- Reflective: High visibility reflective material helps to keep your pet safe when out for walks on dreary days, at night, or during poor visibility
- Adjustable Strap: Easy to secure adjustable belly strap allows for a comfortable and secure fit on most dogs | Please check girth measurements in size chart prior to purchase
Should Dogs Wear Rain Coats?
Yes, the dog rain coat is a must-have.
Rain coats are useful for keeping your dog dry and comfortable when it rains. A rain coat can also protect your dog from sunburns, especially on their ears or nose.
Are Waterproof Rain Coats Good for Dogs?
Yes, the waterproof dog rain coat is good.
They are also great for dogs with sensitive skin and provide extra sun protection for those who live in warmer climates.
The Best Dog Rain Coat Reviewed
Finding the best dog rain coat can be overwhelming. To help owners, we have reviewed some of the best rain coats for dogs that are readily available on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: This HDE Dog Rain Coat Hooded Slicker Poncho is a great value. It fits true to size, is made from high-quality materials, and is comfortable for your dog. The hoodie features a leash and dog harness hole so you can walk safely with your pet even in the rain.
The dog coat has a zip front closure and adjustable straps around the waist and neck, so it fits properly. This dog wear can be used by all breeds of dogs and puppies up to 30 pounds in weight.
Material: 100% Polyester
Features: Reflective material, waterproof coating, belly strap
- Waterproof fabric to keep your dog dry
- Adjustable belly strap for a secure girth fit
- Elastic band at the backside
- Comes in different sizes and colors
- Easy to put on/take off and maintain
- Not suitable for toy breeds
Review: With 4.5 ratings out of 5 stars on Amazon, dog parents love this waterproof dog rain coat. The rain jacket is made from lightweight, breathable material durable enough to withstand the elements. It has a hood that fits snugly around your dog’s head and neck, keeping water out of their ears and eyes.
Summary: HAPEE’s waterproof dog rain coat is a great way to keep your doggy dry on rainy days and protect his coat from mud or dirt. It is made of high-quality materials that are very durable and long-lasting.
The reflective strip makes it easy to see your dog at night. It’s perfect for walks, hikes, camping trips, hunting trips, or any time you take your four-legged friend outdoors! The hood can be folded back when not needed.
Features: Reflective strips, adjustable belly strap, leg straps
- Lightweight design
- Machine washable
- Breathable material
- Reflective strip hoodie
- Quality design and built
- Does not have pockets
Review: Pet parents love this waterproof dog rain coat; they say it is well made and cute. It fits their large dogs perfectly and is very easy to put on. The reflective strip helps keep their dog visible and safe at night. This raincoat is excellent for rainy days and walks in the rain. It keeps your dog dry, warm, and happy.
Summary: The RC Pet Rain Poncho is a lightweight, packable and waterproof dog raincoat. It’s also an excellent choice for keeping your dog warm in rainy weather or as an additional layer of protection in extreme heat.
The dog rain coat is made from Taffeta, which is both durable and lightweight. The coat features an adjustable neck closure that allows you to customize the fit, while reflective trim provides added visibility when walking at night.
Features: Leash access hole, adjustable velcro waistband
- Completely waterproof design
- Easy storage design
- The hooded top protects against rain and snow.
- Available in many colors and sizes
- Adjustable neck closure for a customized fit
- It may not fit dogs with big stomachs
Review: With over 5000 positive reviews, dog parents love this dog rain coat; their dogs do too. They say the dog clothing is easy to put on and take off; it’s lightweight; it doesn’t get in the way of walking a dog; it’s a great value.
Summary: Morezi Waterproof Dog Rain Coat is a great way to keep your dog warm and dry in wet weather. This coat has a waterproof outer layer and an internal fleece lining to keep your dog warm and comfortable.
The easy-on coat has adjustable straps on the neck and chest, so you can ensure it fits your dog perfectly. The velcro closures allow easy adjustment of the coat to suit different breeds of dogs, but there are also reflective strips for added safety at night. The reflective dog raincoat is available in sizes from XS to XXL, so there’s no doubt that you’ll find one that fits your dog perfectly!
Features: Harness hole, double layered zip, adjustable and stylish, drawstring
- Stylish design
- Waterproof and breathable material
- Adjustable neck strap
- Reflective strips for nighttime visibility
- The coat comes in different sizes
- The ties for the hood are short
Review: Pet parents love the Morezi Waterproof Dog Rain Coat. They say it’s easy to put on, take off, and stay on even in the rain. This waterproof dog raincoat comes in 4 colors, so you can find one that fits your style. The waterproof jacket is made from a lightweight, comfortable, durable, breathable fabric. So if you’re looking for a raincoat that will keep your dog dry in any conditions, this one might be just what you need.
Summary: Mamore Adjustable Rain Coat is a high-quality raincoat designed to keep your pets dry in the rain. The front leg holes are designed with adjustable straps, so they can be adjusted to fit any dog, from small to extra large breed dogs.
The back leg holes are elasticized, so they can stretch enough to fit any size of dog as well. It also has reflective strips, which make your pet visible in the dark. The coat comes in six sizes and two colors.
Material: Polyester, PVC
Features: Reflective strips, leash hole, velcro strap
- Lightweight and breathable pet coat
- Adjustable for large and small dogs
- Reflective strips on the front and back
- Easy to put on and take off
- Available from X-small to X-large and XX-large
- No extra buckle (might slip off when running)
Review: Pet owners love this dog rain coat with windbreakers. They say the material is soft and comfortable for their dogs, and the design is attractive. Some people use them as a fashion statement when paired with dog boots! The material is water-resistant, so your pup will stay dry in the rain, but it also allows airflow to help keep it cool.
What Should I Look for in a Dog Rain Coat?
You should consider the following features when looking for the best dog rain coat:
- Water-Repellent Material. The best dog raincoats should be made from water-repellent materials, like nylon or polyester. These fabrics allow water to bead up and roll off, rather than soaking into the coat and weighing down your dog.
- Adjustable Straps and Closures. A good dog raincoat should have adjustable straps and closures at the belly and neck to get a snug fit on your pet’s body. This helps keep out cold air and rain while keeping in warmth.
- Hooded Design. Some dogs love having their heads covered while they run around outside in the rain – but not all of them do! If your pup enjoys playing in wet weather, consider purchasing a hooded design that will protect her ears and face from getting wet and keep her full body warm when the temperature drops during cooler months of the year.
- Size. Ensure you choose the right size for your dog. This is especially important if you have an active breed like a Border Collie or a German Shepherd who is likely to jump around in the mud or run around like crazy chasing squirrels! If the pet raincoat doesn’t fit properly, it will fall off easily, which isn’t ideal for keeping your dog safe from the elements.
- Durability. Look for a waterproof, tear-resistant outer shell with strong seams that won’t easily rip or come apart. Your dog will probably pull at the coat when it rains, so a durable fabric is essential.
- Style. While this isn’t as important as durability and function, style does matter when choosing a raincoat for your furry friend. There are many different styles of raincoats available, so you should find one that fits your dog and your style preferences!
What Can I Use as a Rain Coat for My Dog?
If you do not have a dog rain coat, there are some emergency options. Let’s take a closer look at them:
- Plastic Bags. This is the easiest solution. Cut out a hole for the head and two for the legs. You can use scissors or a knife to cut the plastic bag.
Then, place it on your dog’s body and adjust it to fit well. If you want to ensure there are no wrinkles, you can iron the plastic bag before cutting it out.
Once you’re done cutting out the hole for the head, place the bag on top of your dog’s body and mark where its neck would be. Then cut along this line. Similarly, mark where the legs would be and cut along those lines as well.
Now remove your dog from inside his carrier and put him in his reversible, new raincoat.
- Old Sweaters or T-Shirts. If you have an old T-shirt or sweater that you don’t use anymore, it can easily be turned into a raincoat for your dog.
All you need to do is cut off the sleeves and cut out holes for their head, front, and back legs. Then tie some string around their waist, so they don’t slip out of it while running outside in the rain! This is a great way to recycle old clothes you no longer need.
- Handmade Raincoats. If you like sewing or crafting, this is another excellent way to make a custom-fit raincoat for your dog. You can either buy waterproof fabric on Amazon or go to any fabric store and buy whatever material you want (make sure it’s waterproof).
Then take measurements from your dog and sew the fabric together. This is an excellent way of making a custom-fit raincoat for your dog.
How do You Put Rain Coat on a Dog?
Here’s how you put on a raincoat for your dog:
- Step 1: Have your dog sit or lie down, facing away from you.
- Step 2: Slip one arm under the front legs and behind the back, placing it between the hind legs to cover the rump (the area where the tail attaches to the body).
- Step 3: Wrap your other hand around the dog’s neck and gently pull his head down toward his chest, which will cause it to stand on all fours with his rear end exposed.
- Step 4: Hold your dog’s back firmly against your chest with one hand while you put on his raincoat with the other hand. This will keep it from jumping around and possibly injuring itself, and making sure he doesn’t try to knock off his new rainwear before you’re finished putting it on him!
How Tight Should Dog Rain Coats be?
A dog raincoat should be tight enough that it won’t slip off easily but loose enough to allow your dog to move freely.
The right fit will also keep the coat from rubbing against your dog’s skin, which can cause sores or rashes.
The general rule is that the coat should be snugged against the dog’s body but not too tight that you can’t slide your hand between it and your pet.
Are Dog Rain Coats Worth It?
Yes, a good dog rain coat is worth it.
Rain is one of the reasons dogs get sick. It’s also a leading cause of death for outdoor dogs (and outdoor cats) exposed to it for long periods. You can take many preventive measures to protect your pet from the elements: avoiding heavy rains, keeping them away from puddles and streams, and keeping them inside during storms.
But if your dog is going to be outside regardless of the weather, it’s worth considering investing in a dog raincoat or coat hoodie.