Table of Contents
Best Dog Shampoos for Allergies Summary
- Best Overall Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo for Allergies
An all-rounder pet shampoo that helps manage allergy conditions and promotes healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Best Affordable Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
A vet recommended natural formulation for fast relief from itchy skin that comes at the most affordable price.
- Best Grooming Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Vets Preferred Dog Wash Shampoo & Conditioner Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo
An all-natural formulation that grooms your dog like a spa day in addition to removing all allergic conditions of the skin.
- Best Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Medicated Dog Shampoo
A vet-formulated quick-relief shampoo with antiparasitic and antiseborrheic features that helps with flaky and itchy skin.
- Best Anti-Inflammation Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Inflammatory Shampoo
A medicated hot spot and itch relief shampoo with anti-inflammatory properties for skin conditions caused by bites, infections, and allergies.
- Best Anti-Microbial Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Antibacterial & Antifungal Shampoo for Dogs
Antibacterial and antifungal active formula that works against skin infections and comes with a money-back guarantee.
- Best Dog Shampoo for Allergic Dermatitis: Dermabliss Itch & Allergy Relief Medicated Dog Shampoo
A vet-recommended formula with natural ingredients that ensures safe dog grooming for pets with allergic and atopic dermatitis.
- Best Allergy Shampoo for Dogs with Sensitive Skin: Natural Dog Company Sensitive Skin Shampoo
A hydrating and soothing oatmeal-based shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin, dry skin, and allergy issues.
- Best Deodorizing Dog Shampoo for Allergies: Pro Pet Works Organic 5-in-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
An aloe vera, almond oil, and vitamin E shampoo that is safe for daily use and has anti-allergic and moisturizing features.
Do Dog Allergy Shampoos Work?
Yes, the dog shampoo for allergies works. Veterinarians often recommend medicated shampoo for dog allergies. The dog shampoo for allergies is not a cure, but it helps manage the allergy symptoms.
The allergy pet shampoo contains medicated formulation with active ingredients that relieve the effects of the allergen on the skin – they reduce itchiness, moisturize the skin, and improve the skin barrier.
When do Dogs Need Allergy Shampoo?
Dogs need an allergy shampoo when suffering from environmental allergies, food allergies, or atopic dermatitis. Changes on the dog’s skin that indicate you might need an allergy shampoo include excessive scratching, itchiness, shedding, hair loss, redness, scaling, dandruff, etc.
A dog scratching excessively may also have self-inflicted wounds like minor cuts. If with bright fur, there can also be stains from the saliva, as itchy dogs tend to chew and lick to relieve itchiness.
The Best Dog Shampoos for Allergies Reviewed
Finding the right dog shampoo for allergies can be hard – there are tons of different shampoos for dogs and cats on the market. To keep things simple, we have reviewed the best shampoos for dogs with allergies.
Summary: An all-rounder shampoo derived from natural sources that multitask with every wash– eliminates allergy-related skin conditions, deodorizes, detangles the coat, and moisturizes the skin, which aids in healing. This is an eco-friendly formula with 98.25% of the ingredients derived from coconut or palm. This formulation is free of soap, parabens, sulfates, and chemical dye.
Key Ingredients: Coconut and palm
- All-natural ingredients
- Potent yet gentle 5-in-1 formula
- No MEA, DEA, sulfates, or parabens
- Made in the USA
- None reported
Review: Based on 1,960 global ratings on Amazon, this dog shampoo for allergies is the best in this category, with an average of 4.8/5 stars. Customers love its effectiveness on allergies and moisturizing properties.
Summary: A vet recommended all-natural anti-itch shampoo that promises relief from all seasonal allergies. Deodorizes your dogs and soothes the affected areas in addition to treating skin allergies. This formula is suitable for sensitive skin as it contains essential botanical oils such as neem oil and tea tree oil for a soothing aftereffect.
Scent: Citrus and lavender
Key Ingredients: Neem oil, oatmeal, chamomile, and tea tree oil
- All-natural ingredients
- Ensures quick itch relief
- Vet-recommended shampoo
- Deodorizing formula
- Essential oils can trigger allergies in some dogs
Review: This Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo has an average rating of 4.4/5 based on 6,669 customer reviews and is acclaimed for its moisturizing properties, scent, and affordability.
Summary: An all-natural formulation that soothes the skin while eliminating allergic conditions of the skin. This shampoo also deodorizes, smoothens, and detangles your dog’s coat like a spa treatment. This gentle shampoo is suitable for sensitive skin with deep moisturizing properties that promote coat health and shine.
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, coconut oil, palm, aloe
- All-natural formula
- Hypoallergenic and gentle
- With coconut, oatmeal, and aloe
- Suitable for all dog breeds
- Not fit for puppies less than 12 weeks of age
Review: Based on continuous use by customers worldwide, this dog shampoo for allergies has earned a 4.3/5 stars average rating. Customers love its cleansing and grooming effect for their dogs suffering from allergies.
Summary: A pH-balanced formula with active ingredients, especially for eliminating rashes on the skin due to allergies and healing the affected area. The shampoo provides quick relief against the inflamed scalp, red skin rashes, itch, and flaky skin associated with seborrhea, mange, parasitic, and fungal infections. This shampoo does not remove topical treatments on the skin and can be used without worries. Available in two different sizes for you to choose from.
Key Ingredients: Coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur
- Medicated and pH-balanced
- Suitable for all breeds and coat types
- Provides quick itch relief
- Paraben, sulfate, and soap-free
- Not suitable for puppies less than 12 weeks of age
Review: This dog shampoo for allergies has an average rating of 4.5/5 based on 49,879 global reviews. Customers vouch for its anti-allergic efficacy and suitability for sensitive skin after constant use.
Summary: An active analgesic formulation for quick relief against skin conditions from excessive biting, licking, and scratching. This shampoo targets itchy dog skin irritations such as swollen, pink-to-red, warm-to-hot, moist, irritated-to-bloody skin associated with allergies. This formulation is free of parabens, soaps, or dyes and doesn’t burn on application.
Key Ingredients: Lidocaine, hydrocortisone, allantoin, colloidal oatmeal, and aloe vera
- Soap and paraben-free
- Active formulation
- Allantoin promotes wound healing
- Not suitable for dogs below 12 weeks of age
Review: based on 23,405 global ratings, this dog shampoo for allergies has an average rating of 4.4/5 stars, and customers love its fast action and clinical formula.
Summary: An active antibacterial and antifungal formulation which is effective on hotspots and also treats skin infections from yeast, fungus, bacteria, mange, hotspots, pyoderma, and great ringworm. This is a veterinary-grade formula and contains expert-approved active ingredients that kill allergens on contact. This product comes with a refund policy in case you are not satisfied with the results.
Scent: Passion fruit
Key Ingredients: Chlorhexidine 2% and Ketoconazole 1%
- Effective anti-itch formula
- Antibacterial and antifungal features
- High-quality, vet-grade ingredients
- Money-back guarantee
- Contains methylprednisolone
Review: Based on 2,672 global ratings, this dog shampoo for allergies has an average rating of 4.6 /5, customers vouch for its fast action and pleasant smell
Summary: A medicated veterinary formula with natural ingredients for Itch Relief and healing Irritated Skin, including atopic dermatitis, suitable for pooches of all breeds and ages. The active ingredient Pramoxine soothes the affected skin and provides relief from the itching sensation, while oatmeal and safflower oil heal the affected area and reduce inflammation and redness of the skin.
Key Ingredients: Pramoxine, oatmeal, and safflower oil
- Works well for dogs with dermatitis
- Provides quick itch relief
- With skin-soothing ingredients
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds and ages
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: 498 customers have rated this puppy shampoo for allergies an average of 4.4/5. Customers vouch for its fast itch relief action.
Summary: A pH-balanced formulation boosted with nourishing natural ingredients that relieve allergic issues of the skin and boost coat health for a natural shine. This shampoo consists of natural soothing ingredients such as chamomile extract and colloidal oatmeal to relieve your dog’s itchy skin. This is a safe formula free of parabens, soaps, dye, alcohol, and toxins.
Key Ingredients: Manuka honey, aloe vera, chamomile extract, and colloidal oatmeal
- Made with natural ingredients
- pH balanced and soothing formula
- Suitable for different skin and coat types
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Avoid if your dog is allergic to honey or shea butter
Review: Based on 1,018 global ratings, this dog shampoo for allergies has an average rating of 4.6 / 5. Customers love its smell and natural formulation
Summary: A medicated formula that provides itch relief and heals hot spots. Specially formulated with all-natural ingredients such as aloe vera, oatmeal, and vitamins, this shampoo has a soothing and healing effect on your dog’s itchy skin. This shampoo is free of sulfates, parabens, alcohol, and soap, making it perfect for daily use. Each shower will leave your dog deodorized and feeling fresh, which lasts for a long time.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera gel, organic almond oil, oatmeal, and vitamins A, D, E, and B12
- Potent 5-in-1 formula
- Deodorizing and hydrating
- Ensures quick itch relief
- Gentle and safe for daily use
- Does not lather easily
Review: 11,735 customers worldwide have rated this dog shampoo for allergies an average of 4.6 / 5. Customers love its ingredient quality and reliability for daily use.
What Shampoo is Good for a Dog With Allergies?
Based on our in-depth review of multiple anti-allergy medicated dog shampoos, we recommend the Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo for Allergies as the best product.
This shampoo is formulated with natural ingredients that work best for skin issues. Plus, it has a 5-in-1 formula that cleans, hydrates, conditions, deodorizes, and detangles.
Here are some things to consider when choosing the right dog shampoo for allergies:
- Active ingredients. To relieve the dog’s allergies, the shampoo should feature both active and inactive ingredients. They need to be pet-safe and ideally natural.
- Skin-Soothing Ingredients. The dog shampoo must contain ingredients that can soothe your dog’s skin, such as aloe vera or oatmeal.
- Skin Moisturizing Ingredients. Flaky and dry skin are common allergy symptoms. The dog shampoo should contain hydrating ingredients that combat these symptoms.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The shampoo must be free from harsh chemicals (parabens, phthalates, sulfates, DEA, MEA) and artificial ingredients (colorants and fragrances).
- Fragrance. The dog shampoo for allergies comes in different scents, and there are unscented options. Choose the one you and your dog like best.
- Ease of Use. The dog shampoo must lather easily and be tearless, so you do not have to worry about getting some in the dog’s sensitive eyes. The bottle should be practical too.
- Brand. Finally, research the brand. Ideally, purchase from a transparent and cruelty-free brand. Also, check reviews from previous customers.
- Cleans, deodorizes, conditions and detangles coat, moisturizes skin-- Honest Paws Well is a one-step and easy to use premium dog wash. It is all you need to keep your dog’s fur and skin soft, moisturized and clean.
- This wash uses the hydrating properties of soothing oats and aloe that replenishes the skin’s natural moisture while conditioning the fur. Prevent matting and irritation, and keep your pup happy with each bath.
- This formula can be used on all breeds and on puppies over 12 weeks of age. It is dye-free, and it does not contain MEA, DEA, sulfates, or parabens.
Is Oatmeal Shampoo Good for Dogs with Allergies?
Yes, oatmeal is good for dogs with allergies.
Oatmeal features an active ingredient known as avenanthramide. Avenanthramide helps manage allergic reactions as it has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory features.
Oatmeal is often incorporated in dog shampoos because of these properties. Oatmeal-based dog shampoos are suitable for pets with sensitive skin and provide relief from skin allergy issues.
Is Baby Shampoo Good for Dogs with Allergies?
No, baby shampoo is not good for dogs with allergies.
While a better alternative to human shampoo, the baby shampoo is not the best option for a dog with a skin allergy. The baby shampoo features different pH, does not have soothing features, and may wash off topical flea and tick treatments.
Does Bathing a Dog Help with Allergies?
Yes, bathing helps dogs with allergies.
Bathing with a soothing, dog shampoo for allergies provides temporary relief – it reduces itchiness and calms down the inflammatory processes in the skin.
The exact frequency of bathing an allergic dog depends on the allergy type/severity and shampoo formula. If not sure how often to bathe your dog, talk to a veterinarian.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Dog Shampoo for Allergies?
Some ingredients are considered harsh and should not be in a dog shampoo for allergies. Let’s take a closer look at those potentially hazardous ingredients:
- Parabens. These chemical preservatives make the shampoo last longer but are associated with severe hormonal disorders.
- Phthalates. Hidden under the name “fragrances,“ phthalates are harsh chemicals that, similar to parabens, disrupt the hormonal balance.
- Sulfates. Sulfates help create lather and make the shampoo foam, but they can make the skin symptoms worse and trigger severe irritations.
- Artificial Fragrances. Derived from different sources, artificial fragrances are linked to cancer and reproductive issues and developmental toxicity.
- Artificial Colors. Artificial dyes synthesized from petroleum can cause health issues varying from allergic reactions to organ failure.
How Often Should You Bathe a Dog With Allergies?
The bath frequency varies depending on the severity of the allergy. In general, bathing the dog once a week is enough.
However, in more severe cases, the vet may recommend daily baths – at least until the effects of the allergy treatment kick in and the dog experiences a general relief.
How Fast does Allergy Shampoo for Dogs Work?
You can expect the dog shampoo for allergies to start working from the first use itself; however, for the skin conditions to completely heal, it may take anywhere from 4-12 weeks, depending on the severity of the allergy, type of allergy, and general health of your dog.
How Long does Allergy Shampoo for Dogs Last?
The longevity of the dog shampoo for allergies depends on the frequency of baths, the size, and the breed of your dog as well, and it can vary anywhere between 2-3 months to up to 6 months.