Table of Contents
Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin Summary
- Best Overall Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin
A 5-in-1 oatmeal-based shampoo made from 98% natural ingredients that are pet-safe and highly moisturizing.
- Best Medicated Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: TropiClean OxyMed Medicated Anti Itch Conditioning Treatment
Ultra soothing medicated shampoo that heals common skin conditions while being a dye, paraben, and soap-free.
- Best Budget-Friendly Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: WAHL Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo for Dogs
This affordable shampoo for dry dog skin features an oatmeal formula and lathers very well even when used in small amounts.
- Best Vet-Formulated Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Veterinary Formula Solutions Ultra Oatmeal Moisturizing Shampoo
Ultra-moisturizing oatmeal shampoo with silk proteins and pomegranate formulated by veterinarians.
- Best Tear-Free Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: K9 Pro Oatmeal Dog Shampoo for Dry Itchy Sensitive Skin
Cucumber-melon scented aloe and oatmeal dog shampoo made with groundbreaking liposome technology.
- Best Puppy Shampoo for Dry Skin: Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin
Oatmeal dog shampoo fortified with natural ingredients such as aloe, shea butter, and olive oil for optimal itch relief.
- Best Multifunctional Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Pro Pet Works Organic 5 in 1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Made with aloe vera gel and almond oil, this shampoo is gentle on the dog’s skin and helps restore natural oils.
- Best Fragrance Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo for Dogs
Coconut scented shampoo with a tearless and dandruff-free formula made with aloe vera and baking soda for an anti-itch effect.
- Best Natural Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Vet’s Best Medicated Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs
Veterinary-formulated, medicated, and natural dog shampoo that can be used together with other skin treatments.
Do Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin Work?
Yes, the dog shampoo for dry skin works, all thanks to moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, essential oils, and coconut oil that help dog skin stay healthy – well-hydrated and conditioned. They also soothe irritated skin and relieve itchiness.
The Best Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin Reviewed
With so many dry skin products it is hard for owners to choose the right one. To make the process simple, we reviewed the best dog shampoos for dry skin.
Summary: This 5-in-1 dog wash by Honest Paws is best for the dry, itchy skin of dogs as it cleans, conditions, deodorizes, moisturizes, and detangles dog’s fur flawlessly. Furthermore, it is a plant-based and safe shampoo made with natural ingredients. Plus, as much s 98.25% of shampoo ingredients are derived from natural sources like palm and coconut.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, oatmeal
- 5-in-1 formula
- Helps with various skin issues
- Lathers easily and rinses well
- Dye, phosphate, sulfate, and paraben-free
- Made in the USA
- Some owners dislike coconut scents
Review: The dog shampoo for dry skin has 71% five-star reviews and hundreds of satisfied customers on Amazon. A few customers suggested it is not suitable for dogs with sensitive skin.
Summary: This is a medicated shampoo for dogs by TropiClean. Its anti-itch and conditioning formula is excellent for dry skin. The shampoo can also help heal skin conditions like scaling, flaking, eczema, dandruff, seborrhea, hot spots, and flea bite dermatitis. It has a paraben, dye, and soap-free formula.
Scent: Aloe vera
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, chamomile, aloe vera
- Restores moisture and promotes healing
- Helps with various skin conditions
- For dogs and cats of all breeds and ages
- A nourishing blend of vitamins
- Spill-resistant packaging
- Needs to stay on for at least three minutes
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 77% of five-star reviews. Most pet parents are happy with the shampoo. However, a few found sharp particles inside the liquid.
Summary: This pet shampoo is excellent for dry skin. It contains an oatmeal formula that acts as a great moisturizer. The shampoo is highly concentrated, meaning owners can use just a small amount to make a good lather. It claims its 24oz bottles contain 64oz worth of quantity, thanks to its concentrated coconut-derived sodding agent.
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal
- For dogs of all hair types
- Alcohol and paraben-free
- Allergy-friendly with ph balance
- Over 50 years of experience
- Up to 70% more baths
- Often out of stock
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 78% five-star reviews. Pet owners mention is easy lathering, nice fragrance, and overall efficacy for skin hydration. I
Summary: This is another oatmeal formula moisturizing shampoo by Veterinary Formula and is best for dogs’ dry skin. This formula contains silk protein, DL-panthenol, glycerine, and pomegranate that cleans and strengthens your dog’s coat. It also has an antioxidant formula enriched with colloidal oatmeal and jojoba oil, useful for hydrating the dog’s coat.
Scent: Raspberry tea and pomegranate
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, glycerin, pomegranate
- Sulfate and paraben-free
- Ph balanced for both dogs and cats
- Gentle enough for frequent use
- Long-lasting fragrance
- Does not wash away other treatments
- Some dogs dislike the scent
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 72% of five-star reviews. Dog owners say it works miracles and they mention the excellent hydrating effect on the dog’s dry skin.
Summary: This oatmeal puppy shampoo by K9 Pro is veterinarian formulated and is best for dry, itchy, sensitive skin. The shampoo is based on liposome technology, allowing the nano liposome particles to reach the skin for an optimal anti-itch effect. The shampoo is mild and can be used on different animals.
Scent: Cucumber melon
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, oats, melon extract
- Vet-formulated hypoallergenic shampoo
- Made with proprietary liposome technology
- Uses real aloe vera gel
- Suitable for dogs, cats, and horses
- The scent is pleasant and not too strong
- May not work for all dogs
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 73% of five-star reviews and works best for itchy and flaky skin. Some reviews said it led to red spots and bumps.
Summary: This is an oatmeal dog shampoo for dry skin made with natural ingredients such as olive oil, aloe, and shea butter. The shampoo is a strong cleanser that relieves dry dog skin and helps with skin irritation. It is free from sulfates, parabens, dye, and alcohol. Plus, the brand offers a 100% money-back guarantee if the shampoo is not working.
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, olive oil, shea butter, aloe vera
- Made with all-natural ingredients
- Helps fight dryness and other skin problems
- Makes bath time a breeze
- Free from harsh chemicals and additives
- Provides a refund to unsatisfied customers
- The lack of fragrance can be an issue
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 72% five-star reviews. Pet owners are pleased with the brand’s excellent customer support. They also mention it works exactly as advertised.
Summary: This 2-in-1 oatmeal dog shampoo by ProPet is made with all-natural ingredients and can be purchased with a discount if bought in batches. The formula contains aloe vera, almond oil, oatmeal, and vitamins E, D, A, and B12. It is suitable for different pets and gives hypoallergenic dogs relief from dry and itchy skin.
Key Ingredients: Aloe vera gel, organic almond oil, oatmeal
- Natural, organic dog shampoo
- Hypoallergenic formula fit for sensitive skin
- For dogs and cats eight over eight weeks old
- Cruelty-free and free from chemicals
- Made in the USA
- No information about the scent of the product
Review: This natural dog shampoo for dry skin has 76% five-star reviews. Customers say it forms a nice lather and smell good. Some users claim it is not an all-natural product.
Summary: This is one tear-free and dandruff-free oatmeal dog shampoo. It is the best for dry, irritating, and itchy skin. It is both a shampoo and conditioner and provides a lifetime money-back guarantee. It leaves the dog coat healthy, smooth, shiny, and soft. Its unique formula is made with baking soda.
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, baking soda
- Comprehensive anti-itch formula
- Vet-endorsed and tear-free
- Soothes and helps fight allergens
- Part of the sale donated to pets with cancer
- Detergent and alcohol-free
- Often out of stock due to high demand
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 71% five-star reviews amongst the 6k reviews. It worked for many dog owners and they definitely recommend it.
Summary: This medicated oatmeal shampoo by Vet’s + Best is vet-recommended as it works for dogs with dry, itchy, and flaky skin. The formula features natural ingredients and ensures total skin care. One of the main perks of shampoo is that it can be used in together with other skin treatments.
Scent: Not specified
Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, tea tree oil, salicylic acid
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo
- Highly moisturizing formula
- Boosts skin health and shiny coat
- Provides relief from dry skin
- Vet-formulated and made in the USA
- The scent is not specified
Review: This dog shampoo for dry skin has 67% five-star reviews. Pet owners are happy with the effects of the shampoo and they see a difference in their dog coats’ hydration after using it.
What Shampoo is Best for Dry Skin on Dogs?
Honest Paws 5-in-1 Oatmeal Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin is the best shampoo for dry skin as it’s a 5-in-1 product made with natural ingredients.
Here are the things to consider when buying a high-quality dog shampoo for dry skin:
- Ingredients. Ensure your chosen shampoo is made with pet-safe and natural ingredients that support skin and coat health.
- No Chemicals. The right dog shampoo must be free from sulfates, parabens, DEA, BPA, artificial fragrances, and dyes.
- Moisturizing Ability. The role of the dry skin shampoo is to ensure hydration. Commonly used hydrating ingredients are aloe vera, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- Fragrance. Go for natural fragrances like coconut oil or lemongrass. They are soothing and have a naturally calming effect.
- Cleans, deodorizes, conditions and detangles coat, moisturizes skin-- Honest Paws Well is a one-step and easy to use premium dog wash. It is all you need to keep your dog’s fur and skin soft, moisturized and clean.
- This wash uses the hydrating properties of soothing oats and aloe that replenishes the skin’s natural moisture while conditioning the fur. Prevent matting and irritation, and keep your pup happy with each bath.
- This formula can be used on all breeds and on puppies over 12 weeks of age. It is dye-free, and it does not contain MEA, DEA, sulfates, or parabens.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin?
Harsh chemicals and potential allergens must not be present in any dog shampoo product. As a pet parent, keep an eye on the following ingredients and make sure the shampoo is free of them:
- Sulfates. Sulfates are cleaning agents that classify as harsh chemicals and may worsen the dog’s skin symptoms.
- Parabens. Parabens are chemical preservatives associated with hormonal disorders and cancer.
- Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is another preservative that can triggers the immune system and cause skin irritation.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are fragrances and can cause intense hormonal disorders.
- Artificial Colors. Artificial colors may cause allergic reactions, cancer, organ failure, and birth defects.
- Artificial Fragrances. Artificial fragrances are linked with cancer and reproductive issues, and developmental toxicity.
How Often Should You Bathe a Dog With Dry Skin?
If bathing frequently dries your dog’s skin, bathe them once a month.
However, if using a special formula to combat dryness, you can bathe your dog once a week. If you are unsure about which grooming product is best for your dog’s skin condition, talk to the veterinarians and ask for help.
How Fast Does Dry Skin Shampoo for Dogs Work?
A dry skin shampoo can take at least two to three washes to start working.
The exact timeframe depends on several factors, including the dog’s skin condition and the efficacy of the shampoo.
If using the shampoo for a week or two without an improvement in the dog’s skin dryness we suggest contacting your trusted veterinarian for a consult.
How Long Does Dry Skin Shampoo for Dogs Last?
There is no fixed period for which the effect of dry skin shampoo on the dog may last. If you feel the effect of the dog shampoo is going away, you can use it again, but not sooner than twice a week.
Keep in mind that frequent dog grooming sessions at home or with the groomer can have a counter effect – make the dog’s skin even dryer by stripping the natural oils.