What are the Best Sweaters for Dogs?
- Best Overall Dog Sweater: Jecikelon Pet Knitwear Dog Sweater
A classic round-neck sweater that will help your puppies stay warm.
- Best Affordable Dog Sweater: Bwealthest Cute Knitted Classic Sweater for Dogs & Cats
A comfortable and durable sweater suitable for all breed sizes.
- Most Lightweight Dog Sweater: Gooby Stretch Fleece Vest Dog Sweater
A lightweight and stretchable sweater for all breed sizes.
- Best Designed Dog Sweater: Gooby Sherpa Vest Dog Sweater
A warm and fuzzy sweater with a comfortable fit and innovative design
- Best Hoodied Dog Sweater: Jecikelon Winter Dog Hoodie Sweatshirts with Pockets
A hooded pure wool sweater designed especially for small breed dogs.
Is it OK to Put a Sweater on My Dog?
Yes, using a dog sweater is okay. However, there are many factors to consider before you decide to buy dog clothes, such as the weather, your dog’s health condition, and even the size of the hair of the pet coat.
Do Dogs Need to Wear a Sweater?
A sweater is not an absolute necessity, but it can be a good form of support for your dog. Especially during chilly winters, a sweater can make your dog feel warm and comfortable. Here are some benefits of putting a sweater on pet dogs:
- Protection from External Materials. A sweater acts like a soft cushioned barrier between your dog’s body and external elements. With a sweater on, your dogs are less likely to come in contact with allergens.
- Helps Regulate Body Temperature. This is the biggest benefit of putting a sweater on your dog. Sweaters trap body heat and help your dogs feel cozy and warm during chilly winters.
- Ensures Safety. A sweater also prevents your dogs from getting scratches or insect bites while outside.
- Keeps the Coat Clean. Since sweaters act as barriers between your dog’s skin and the external world, you can rest assured that your dog is perfectly clean, even after a long rendezvous outside.
However, while choosing a sweater for your dog, you must ensure that the fit is correct and the material doesn’t irritate their body. Otherwise, your dog can feel very uncomfortable and even feel suffocated in a sweater.
The Best Dog Sweaters Reviewed
Well, when it comes to sweaters for dogs, the choice is much harder than choosing one for yourself. You have to really understand whether the sweater suits your dog based on research since they won’t be able to tell you their take on it. That’s why we have prepared a list of sweaters for dogs of different breeds and sizes. All bestsellers only!
Summary: A classic knit dog sweater in soft pure wool material that will suit every dog, irrespective of their breed. This sweater is designed to keep comfort in mind. The small dog sweater’s material, weight, and casual fit will keep puppies comfortable. This sweater is available in 12 different colors, vibrant and cool tones. The sizes range from extra small to extra large. However, this pullover is specially tailored for puppies and is not suitable for adult dogs.
- Classic design
- Casual and comfortable fit
- Pure wool material
- Soft and lightweight
- Multiple color options
- A large number of size options
- Runs one size up if your puppy has long and thick fur
Review: Based on 28,597 reviews from pet parents, this sweater has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars. Customers state that their puppies look cute and are comfortable wearing and playing around in this style.
Summary: A knitted dog sweatshirt never goes out of style. This sweater has a classic knit pattern that enhances your dog’s look. The material is a mix of acrylics and is perfectly suitable for dogs who don’t like the feel of pure wool against their skin. The overall fit is loose and comfortable, with accentuated hems on the neck and arm holes. This dog cat sweater is suitable for all breed sizes and all life stages of dogs.
Material: Polyacrylonitrile fiber, acrylic
- Available in 12 vibrant colors
- Suitable for all breed sizes and all life stages
- Soft acrylic material for a smooth feel against the skin
- Safe to be washed in a machine
- Available in sizes from xx-small to xxxl
- The hemmed neckline can be tight and suffocating for some dogs.
Review: Based on 4,479 customer feedback, this sweater has garnered an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. Customers state that this puppy cat sweater is of excellent quality, and the color doesn’t fade even after multiple washes.
Summary: This cardigan is the best choice if you’re looking for a sweater that makes a style statement and keeps your dog warm and comfortable with equal efficiency! This sweater is extremely stretchable and can be used even as your dog grows up. The arm hole design gives a lot of space for free movement. This dog fleece sweater with a turtleneck is suitable for small, medium, and large breeds and comes in 15 different colors. Moreover, this sweater is wrinkle-resistant and machine washable; thus, less hassle to maintain.
Material: 90% Polyester, 5% Polyurethane
- The durable and stretchable material
- Comfortable design for free movement
- Suitable for dogs of all breed sizes
- Multiple sizes and color options
- Wrinkle-resistant and machine washable
- Might not be suitable for dogs with long-haired coats
Review: Based on 10,054 pet parent testimonials, this sweater has an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars. Pet parents state that this sweater is true to size and is comfortable enough for their dogs to sleep in.
Summary: This cable knit sweater is the perfect fit for dogs with sensitive skin and coats that need extra care when outside. This lightweight sweater is made of non-irritating yet fuzzy-warm material for optimum comfort. The sweater’s design contains an easy-to-operate, non-pinchable zip and a bottom opening as well. This windproof dog jacket is perfect for outdoor walks on chilly nights. It can be washed in the machine and is lightweight. Available in several sizes, from extra small to 3x large.
Material: 100% polyester
- Lightweight material, non-irritating on the skin
- Windproof material for protection against chilly winds
- Easy to wear design with bottom opening and protected zipper at front
- Machine washable
- Suitable for dogs of all breed sizes
- Available in a range of sizes from x-small to x-large
- Wearing this can be difficult for dogs with thick coats.
Review: Based on customer feedback, this sweater has a 4.3 out of 5-star rating. Customers state that this sweater is stylish and comfortable for their dogs to go on walks.
Summary: This is the “coolest” sweater on the market, but it will keep your small dogs warm! Small breed dogs are more cold sensitive than large dogs, and this hooded sweater can be their best friend during winters. Made of pure wool, this sweater’s warming capacity is much higher than non-wool sweaters. The hooded design protects your dog’s ears from chilly winds. Available in 8 aesthetic colors and xx-small to xxl sizes.
- Pure wool material
- Hooded design for extra protection
- Soft and lightweight material
- Available in a range of sizes
- Well-stitched and durable
- Not suitable for dogs of medium or large breeds
Review: Based on 9,879 customer reviews, this sweater has an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. Customers are happy with the quality of the sweater and are raving about how cute it looks on their dogs!
What Should I Look for in a Dog Sweater?
Finding the perfect dog sweater can be a task. Use this quick and easy guide to make the correct choice:
- Size. Measure your dog and also check the brand’s size guide to make a perfect choice. However, it’s always safe to choose one size up.
- Design. The design should complement your pooch. For example, if your dog has a long-haired coat, choose a design that is open and has plenty of room. If your dog has a long, thick tail, choose one with a bottom opening.
- Comfort. Make sure that the neckline and the arm holes are big enough to let your dog move around freely. Cross-check the measurements to pick the perfect fit.
How do I Know if My Dog Needs a Sweater?
Well, the answer is: it depends. Whether or not your doggie needs a pet sweater depends on multiple factors, such as:
- Cold Weather. Well, every dog feels cold during the winter months. The question is, how cold does it get where you stay? Is the cold tolerable for a dog when they are both indoors and outdoors, or would they benefit from a sweater? According to research, dogs feel cold in temperatures below 0 degrees.
- Dog Breed. Small breed dogs like Chihuahuas are more vulnerable to cold than large breeds and giants. Also, like Retrievers, dogs with thicker coats can naturally trap their body heat better than medium dogs with thinner coats. This, your dog’s breed, will also determine whether your dog absolutely needs a puppy sweater or not.
- Dog Age. As dogs age, their vitality decreases, and they are more prone to feeling cold. Chances are, your older dog needs a sweater irrespective of its breed.
- Overall Health. If you find your dog shivering, being lethargic, or having cold feet and ears: it indicates that your dog is suffering from hypothermia. A dog shirt is a must if your dog is showing such symptoms.
How Long Should I Leave a Sweater on a Dog?
Although it may be cold all night or all day long, it’s important to give your dog a break from their sweaters every 4-8 hours. Never keep your dog wearing a sweater for more than 8 hours. The puppy clothing exerts pressure on your dog’s coat, and it may get uncomfortable for them after a few hours. So, every 4-8 hours, take off their sweaters and brush their coat to help their skin breathe.
Do Sweaters Make Dogs Calmer?
Are Dog Sweaters Worth It?
Yes, dog sweaters are definitely worth it. Despite a high range of normal body temperatures (101-102 degrees Celsius), dogs feel cold, which can get them sick. Thus, it is very important to provide your dog with the perfect warmth to help them stay healthy.