Table of Contents
Best Dog Toothpaste Summary
- Best Overall Dog Toothpaste: Vets Preferred Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs
This is a natural dog enzymatic toothpaste with safe ingredients to fight plaque.
- Best Dental Kit for Dogs: Arm & Hammer for Pets Tartar Control Kit
This dental kit offers an effective baking soda-based dog toothpaste and finger brush convenient for pet owners.
- Best Natural Ingredients Dog Toothpaste: Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
Enzymatic dog toothpaste in the form of an oral care gel that keeps the dog’s mouth healthy and its breath fresh.
- Best All-Life Stages Dog Toothpaste: Petrodex Advanced Dental Care Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
A small amount goes a long way, and just a dab of the Petrodex enzymatic paste on the toothbrush cleans teeth effectively.
- Best Budget-Friendly Toothpaste Flavor: Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Toothpaste
Almost 100 percent of the reviews say dogs love the flavor of this toothpaste, and it does a great job at teeth cleaning.
Do Dogs Need Toothpaste?
Yes, dogs need toothpaste. Brushing the dog’s teeth is vital for oral health. Luckily, at-home dental care is easy – all pet owners need are high-quality dog toothbrush and toothpaste.
Neglecting the pup’s teeth results in dental disease. An article in Today’s Veterinary Practice states that 80% of dogs have periodontal disease by two years of age, and this is the number one health problem in pets.
Periodontal disease starts as gingivitis. The signs of periodontal disease range from red and inflamed gums to food pain-triggered food aversion and teeth loss.
So, yes – dogs need pet toothpaste to keep their teeth clean and prevent dental disease.
What are the Benefits of Using Dog Toothpaste?
Dog toothpaste makes the teeth cleaning process easier and more efficient. Here is a closer look at the benefits of using pet toothpaste for your dog:
- Fresh Breath. Regular brushing with a dog paste or dental gel will keep the dog’s breath fresh. The medical term for bad breath is halitosis.
- Low Dental Disease Risk. By preventing plaque and tartar buildup, brushing with a paste helps decrease the risk of gingivitis, periodontal diseases, and tooth loss.
- Overall Health Support. Bacteria from the mouth can easily spread to other parts of the body. Therefore, keeping bacteria at bay supports the dog’s overall health.
- Easy Use. Using dog toothpaste is easy. Just apply it to a dog toothbrush or finger brush, and voila – your dog’s teeth will be clean and its breath fresh without visiting the vet.
The Best Dog Toothpaste Reviewed
With so many dog toothpaste products on Amazon and Chewy, it is hard for pet owners to find the right one. To help navigate the specter of options, we have selected and reviewed the best products on the market.
Summary: The Vets Preferred Enzymatic Toothpaste for dogs is designed to eliminate bad breath and plaque. This natural enzymatic toothpaste features safe ingredients and is suited for good for dogs with kidney issues. In addition to being a 100% natural solution, the paste has strong antibacterial features.
- Natural dog enzymatic toothpaste
- Promotes periodontal health
- Helps improve bad breath
- Peanut butter flavored
- Made in the USA with safe ingredients
- Some pets dislike the flavor
- The texture is runny and leaks from the brush
Review: Many of the pet owners that reviewed the product live with picky dogs. Some dogs enjoyed the peanut butter flavor, and others turned their noses up at it. Pet owners are happy that the product is made in the U.S. The overall rating on Amazon’s reviews is 4.2 out of 5.
Summary: This dental kit includes a finger brush for pet owners, which is very convenient and easy to use. The use of baking soda as the cleaning ingredient is safe for dogs as is the brand. Many testimonials say the product helped with overall oral health, bad breath, and gum inflammation.
- Convenient all-in-one dental kit
- Made with natural ingredients
- Tasty beef flavor for easy use
- Brush designed for hard to reach areas
- Supports overall oral health
- The flavor is a bit weird
- The finger brush is soft
Review: This toothpaste and dental kit received a 4.4 rating out of 5 stars on Amazon. Most pet owners say their dog’s oral health improved after using this product. They say the paste “works amazingly at cleaning and whitening my dog’s teeth and made a difference you can see and smell.”
Summary: The Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste is a dental gel toothpaste formulated with an enzyme system for dogs and cats. Featuring enzymes with antibacterial powers, it is very efficient and recommended by vets and veterinary dentists. The toothpaste comes in poultry flavor, beef flavor, and vanilla-mint flavor.
- Vet-recommended formula
- Gel texture that spreads easily
- Dog-friendly scents and flavors
- No off-putting scent
- Can be used for cats too
- Tends to squirt if pressured too much
Review: The brand is well known in the vet industry, and the ingredients are safe for dogs. Many customers and testimonials say their dogs had noticeably healthier gums and whiter teeth. The final verdict is that this is a great dog toothpaste to use between annual dental cleanings with a vet.
Summary: A tiny quantity goes a long way. Pet owners should train puppies so they are OK with having their teeth brushed. Using a pea-sized amount of the Sentry Petrodex paste on a toothbrush is all that’s needed to make an impact. The paste features patented enzymes, special no-rinse formula, and a tasty chicken flavor.
- Non-foaming and no-rinse formula
- Reduces plaque and tartar build-up
- Freshens the dog’s breath
- Delicious poultry flavor
- Suitable for all life stages
- May cause tummy upset in sensitive dogs
Review: A testimonial on Amazon says, “The toothpaste softened and loosened the tartar that was on his back teeth, and I was able to use a tooth scaler to scrap off the tarter. The tartar came off easily in chunks. I wish I took before and after pictures because the results were fantastic.”
Summary: The Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Dog Toothpaste is made with Denta-C and is scientifically proven to reduce plaque. In addition to fighting off bacteria and dental disease, the toothpaste is delicious to dogs as it features a peanut butter flavor. The paste works by reducing tartar and plaque buildup.
- With antibacterial Denta-C
- Dog-friendly peanut butter flavor
- Keeps the dog’s breath fresh
- Excellent value for money ratio
- Made in the USA
- Messy consistency
- The foaming agent made some dogs sick.
Review: This toothpaste received a 4.6 rating on Amazon out of five stars. “It seems to be very effective at keeping their teeth clean,” according to one pet owner. Almost 100 percent of the reviews say their dog loves the taste of this toothpaste.
What is the Best Dog Toothpaste?
The best dog toothpaste is Vets Preferred Enzymatic Toothpaste for Dogs. Even dogs with kidney disease can use this toothpaste which is a huge benefit as many products aren’t safe for pets with renal disease.
We picked this product based on several features and considerations. Here are some of the things to check when choosing a dog toothpaste:
- Ingredients. The first thing to check is the ingredients. The toothpaste should be made with dog-friendly and preferably USDA ingredients. It should also be fit for all life stages (from puppies to adult dogs to seniors). Natural dog toothpaste is option number one.
- Flavor and Scent. Even the best toothpaste will be useless if your dog dislikes its taste and scent. Therefore, manufacturers add dog-friendly flavors such as peanut butter or poultry. This ensures easy use for the owners and a pleasant experience for the dog.
- Texture. The texture is important too. If the paste is too thick, it will not spread easily on the dog’s teeth. On the other hand, if too loose or liquid, the toothpaste will run from the toothbrush and make a mess while in use.
- Brand. Always do in-depth research on the brand – a reputable manufacturer will be open about its ingredients and practices. Check reviews from previous customers and if the paste is approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC).
- Contains natural ingredients, which provide a gentle and effective clean without damaging the enamel.
- The liquid texture can clean hard-to-reach dental spaces.
- It soothes and strengthens the gums, preventing gum diseases like gingivitis and periodontitis.
How Often Should You Use Dog Toothpaste?
Most vets recommend daily teeth brushing for optimal dental health. Every time you brush your dog’s teeth, use a finger brush or toothbrush designed for dogs.
Pets MD suggests “brush in small circles, getting top and bottom on each side. As you move the bristles along the gum line, some slight bleeding may occur.” However, there are various teeth brushing techniques, and your vet can demonstrate how to do this correctly.
In addition to regular teeth brushing, you can promote clean teeth and fresh breath by giving your dog dental chews, chew toys, and dog food formulated for oral health (the kibble has a specific texture and shape that helps scrape off tartar and plaque buildup).
Can I Use Human Toothpaste On My Dog?
No, you cannot use human toothpaste on your dog. On the Forever Dog site, vet experts Dr. Becker and Rodney Habib accent the fact that human toothpaste products contain xylitol – an artificial sweetener that is extremely toxic to dogs.
And it is not just xylitol that is hazardous. Namely, human paste products have fluoride which is also toxic. Plus, human toothpaste often contains gluten, GMOs, and other chemicals that can be risky to the dog’s health.
To ensure safe dog dental care, stick to pet toothpaste products.