Which Towel is Best for Dogs?
- Best Dog Towel Overall: Bone Dry Pet Grooming Absorbent Microfiber Towel
A lightweight, durable microfiber dog towel for fast drying with an embroidered paw print.
- Best Budget-friendly Dog Towel: Dog Gone Smart Original Ultra Absorbent Microfiber Quick Drying Towel
This affordable dog towel features ultra-soft and absorbent Chenille fabric with dual hand pockets.
- Most Versatile Dog Towel: Geyecete Microfiber Dog Drying Coat – Dog Bathrobe Towel
Innovative and versatile dog drying towel with zipping, hand hooks, and loop straps to secure your wet dog when rubbing.
- Most Comfortable Dog Towel: PAWPUP Super Absorbent Dog Towel
This very comfortable pet drying towel for dogs is made using polyester and polyamide and comes in grey and brown.
- Cutest Dog Towel: Barkbox Premium Absorbent Hooded Dog Bathrobe Towel
Cute ultra-absorbent dog bathrobe with different adorable designs and easy velcro closure straps.
Do Dogs Need Special Towels?
No, the dog towel is not an essential pet grooming tool.
Dog owners can make use of regular towels or old bedsheets instead of special towels. However, it is not advisable to share your towel with your dog, because it will develop an odor and collect your dog’s shedding hair.
Also, a special towel is likely to be more absorbent and fast-drying, thus decreasing the unpleasant wet dog smell and making bath time easier.
Which Towels do Dog Groomers Use?
Dog groomers use special dog towels instead of normal ones.
Generally, there are cotton towels and microfiber dog towels. Regular human bath towels are made of cotton, but they are less effective for dogs due to the amount of water stored in the dog’s coat.
Microfiber is an ultra-absorbent synthetic material. Dog towels made of microfiber can hold up to five times their weight in water. They are lightweight and dry quicker, so they are less waterlogged and drippy after the dog groomers finish wiping off the dog.
What Are the Benefits of Dog Towels?
Dog towels are beneficial because they soak up more water, dry quickly, and make the grooming process easier.
The following are the benefits of having a separate dog towel:
- Non-Irritating. Using cotton towels to dry your dog’s fur requires friction, which causes skin irritation. Microfiber dog towels are very soft and have a relaxing effect.
- Easy to Dry. Microfiber towels for dogs are designed to dry quickly and are lightweight. Dog towels can be reused immediately after use after a squeeze.
- More Absorbent. Microfiber dog bath towels have five times more absorption power than cotton towels. They are capable of soaking up water from the base of your dog’s fur.
The Best Dog Towels Reviewed
There are quite a number of dog towels available for pet owners. Finding the right choice for your dog can be tricky. To help pet owners with this decision, we have reviewed some of the best towels and bathrobes for dogs.
Summary: This is a durable yet lightweight towel for dogs made with microfiber. It is an excellent fast-drying multipurpose towel for your wet dog after playing outside in the rain or after bath time. It not only serves as a towel, but also a cute doggy blanket on cold nights. The soft microfiber design makes it a great comfort item. It also comes in extra-large sizes for big dogs.
Sizes: X-Small, Small, Medium, X-Large
- Super absorbent design and material
- Very durable, lightweight, and portable
- Machine washable and easy to clean
- With a cute embroider dog paw design
- Comes in different colors and patterns
- Some colors wash off faster than others
Review: This product has an average review rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Dog owners found this product to be satisfactory. However, a few noted that the color washes off easily.
Summary: Made with Chenille fabric, this is a durable yet affordable microfiber dog shammy that is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. It is a super soft dog towel that dries fur up to 8 times more than an ordinary cotton towel. The quick-drying microfiber design means it can dry your dog faster than a blow-dryer. It also cleans up mud from your dirty dog’s fur. This microfiber Chenille towel is great for your dog, even if you’re on a budget.
Sizes: 13 x 31”
Material: Polyester Blend
- Highly absorbent blend of fibers
- With thick and high microfiber piles
- Dual hand pocket for easy grip
- Machine-washable and easy to dry
- Super soft and easy on the dog’s coat
- The piles can tear over prolonged use
Review: Reviewers on Amazon gave this product 4.7 of 5 stars and praised it for its efficiency, and noted that it was capable of completely drying their dogs in only a few minutes.
Summary: Innovative and easy-to-use bath towel for dogs. It comes with hand hooks and loop straps so you can secure the towel to your dog before you get rubbing. It keeps your dog cozy and warm while it dries. It’s an easy-to-wear microfiber pet bath towel capable of wrapping up your wet pooch and keeping it warm while it dries. This grooming towel will save you a lot of stress from trying to get your dog to stay still while you dry it. This towel is also suitable for machine wash.
Sizes: X-Small, Small, Large, X-Large, XX-Large
- Foldable high collar and elastic foot strap
- Bathrobe style that protects the underbelly
- Suitable for both machine and hand washing
- Available in different colors and sizes
- The small sizes robes can be used for cat baths
- Impedes the dog’s shoulder movements
Review: Most Amazon reviewers were impressed with this product. With a total rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars, this product was noted to be handy and of great quality.
Summary: This microfiber pet towel can either be used as a pet towel or a comfort item in your dog’s kennel. It is a soft and sturdy pet towel that gives optimum comfort and warmth to your dog. This dog grooming towel is perfect for small dogs because it has antibacterial properties. It can be used to clean off your pet’s muddy paws. Plus, it can serve as a comfort item.
Sizes: 60cm wide and 100cm long
Material: 80% polyester and 20% polyamide
- Super absorbent microfiber
- Loop handle for easy drying
- Ultra-soft and comforting material
- Machine washable material
- Comes in two aesthetically pleasant colors
- Not suitable for large dogs
Review: With an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon, this product is a favorite among small dog owners everywhere.
Summary: This adorable dog bathrobe is ultra-absorbent and features an easy velcro closure and adjustable waist straps for easy fitting. It comes in equally adorable rubber duck, lion, rhino, and rabbit designs. You can save your home or car seat from getting wet and be happy while doing it. Not just pet owners but dogs also adore the adorable designs. Besides this, it is ultra-absorbent and machine washable.
Sizes: Small, Medium, Large
- Ultra-absorbent hooded bathrobe
- Machine washable and lightweight
- Very easy to put on and take off
- With a convenient velcro closure
- Comes in four different themes
- The velcro strip can rip off easily
Review: This product had an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Pet parents are happy with this dog towel. However, a few found the bathrobe’s Velcro closure strap unstable.
Can I Use My Towel for My Dog?
No, you should not use the same towel as your dog.
Unless you wash the used towel after each bath, the towel will not only develop a dog smell over time but also have bits of fur stuck in that will be challenging to get out.
Pet towels can be used to clean off mud and rain from your dog’s fur, while you can’t do that with your own towel.
What Should I Look for in a Dog Towel?
There are a few things pet owners should look out for when getting a dog towel. Below are a few:
- Non-Hair Trapping Design. Some dog towels are made of densely woven fibers, which won’t trap dog hairs inside as normal cotton towels will. This prevents hair from coating your washing machine and allows the towel to be ready for use anytime.
- Machine-Washable. To prevent odors from developing, it is necessary to wash your dog’s towel fairly regularly. Having a dog towel that can be washed by simply using a washing machine will be easier than one that needs to be hand-washed.
- Absorbent Materials. Some dog towels are more absorbent than others. Although all towels for pets are made with microfiber, there are varying grades. It would be better to get a dog towel made of the highest quality microfibers (like 400 to 500gsm).
- Quick-Drying. The amount of water from your dog’s fur will eventually cause the towel to develop a bad odor, so it will be better to look for a towel that dries quickly. It will be more convenient to carry a dry towel around than a drippy one.
- PERFECT TOWEL TO DRY SMALL, MEDIUM, AND LARGE DOGS AND CATS: Bone Dry Pet Towel measures 41x23.5" and is great for drying dogs and cats of different breeds and sizes
- MATERIAL AND CARE: Towel is made of ultrasoft microfiber, machine washable, and super absorbent, making drying your pet easy; For best long lasting results, do not use fabric softener
- LIGHTWEIGHT DURABLE AND EASY TO CARRY: This towel can be stored in your car for on the go trips for your pet or at home; Provides comfort for your pet and protection for your couch, carpet, car, bed, floor, or chair
How do You Put a Dog in a Towel?
The easiest way to dry your dog with a towel is by simply wrapping the dog in the towel.
By wrapping your dog in the towel and letting it rest for a while, you speed up the grooming process and prevent the surroundings from getting unnecessarily wet.
How do You Wash Dog Towels?
Most dog towels are made from microfiber, so you’ll need to take care when you wash them. Here are a few procedures to follow when washing:
- Shake the Towel Vigorously. This is to remove any shed hair. It is advisable to do this outside, so stray hairs don’t get everywhere in your house, or you can do it in your bathroom if this is not feasible.
- Wring the Towel Out. Twist the towel and squeeze it as hard as you can to remove as much water as possible. Then, unroll it and roll it in the opposite direction before wringing it out again. This should be done as many times as possible to remove as much water as possible.
- Wash the Towel on a Soft Cycle. Using soft detergent, set wash the towel on a soft cycle. Using harsh detergent or cycles will damage microfiber materials.
- Wring out the Towel. Wring out the excess moisture from the towel after removing it from the washing machine. This reduces the amount of time it will have to spend in the dryer.
- Dry the Towel. Put the dog towel into the dryer using the manufacturer’s recommendations. Do not use fabric softener while drying because it is harmful to the fabric. Otherwise, you can airdry the towel instead.
- Roll up the Towel. After drying, roll up the towel and store it in a clean and dry place (preferably a closet or drawer), or put it in a clean bag if it is to be carried around.