Table of Contents
What is the Best Emotional Support Animal Vest?
- Best Overall Emotional Support Animal Vest: Industrial Puppy Store Emotional Support Dog Vest Harness with Reflective Straps and Matching ESA Leash Set
The heavy-duty padding and large reflective strip make this the best overall ESA vest for most everyday applications.
- Most Reviewed Emotional Support Animal Vest: voopet Adjustable Emotional Support Pet Vest Harness
With over 17,000 positive reviews on Amazon, this dog vest is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars and is excellent for ESA owners.
- Emotional Support Animal Vest with Most Size Options: ALBCORP Emotional Support Dog Vest
With size options ranging from XXS to XL, this sturdy and high-quality vest fits dogs of all breeds and sizes.
- Most Affordable Emotional Support Animal Vest: Dogline York Step in Mesh Dog Harness with Emotional Support Patches
Available at only $15, this is the least expensive emotional support dog vest, and it classifies as an excellent cost-to-value product.
- Most Visible Emotional Support Animal Vest: Working Service Dog Store Premium Emotional Support Dog Vest
This harness includes a large metallic ESA patch that can be seen from a distance to reduce confusion in public settings.
Does an Emotional Support Animal Need to Wear a Vest?
No, the emotional support animal vest is not a mandatory pet gear.
However, an emotional support animal vest is recommended as it makes the pet easily identifiable in public places that otherwise would not allow animals.
Federal law also does not protect ESAs the same way it protects service animals, so they may not be allowed in many public places regardless of whether or not they have a vest. Therefore, it is best to check your local and state laws to see if a vest would be helpful.
What Color is an Emotional Support Animal Vest?
There is no required color for an emotional support animal vest. The ESA owner can choose a vest color of their preference. However, blue, red, and forest green are the most popular colors.
How Much Does an ESA Vest Cost?
The price of an emotional support animal vest will vary on things like the size and material the vest is made from. Typically a vest will cost $15-$35, but they can be much more expensive.
The Best Emotional Support Animal Vests Reviewed
Vests for emotional support animals come in different designs, colors, and sizes. Before you click checkout, take a look at the best options on the market.
Industrial Puppy Store Emotional Support Dog Vest Harness with Reflective Straps and Matching ESA Leash Set
Summary: This ESA vest kit comes with removable patches and a dog leash identifying the animal as an ESA and is made of durable, waterproof polyester. It features a quick-release belly strap, reflective strips, and a padded mesh chest strap for comfort and breathability.
Sizes: X-small to X-large
- Includes removable ESA patches
- Has a reflective strip for visibility
- Comes in a wide variety of sizes
- Accommodates dog backpacks
- D-ring dog leash/dog collar attachment
- The padding may be a little bulky for small dogs
Review: 90% of over 1,800 reviews on Amazon rate this product 4 and 5 stars. Consumers were pleased with the quality of the material and the padding and noted the space for removable patches helped make their dog easily identifiable in public. Critical reviews stated the emotional support animal vest was too bulky for their small dogs and numerous buyers stated they only received the vest and not the identifying patches or leash.
Summary: This service dog vest features an anti-friction pad for comfort and a rustproof D-ring for dog leash hook-up. A strong nylon handle is added for better control and training, and a series of reflective strips enhance visibility in low-light conditions to make this a safe and sturdy vest. It is made to be a no-pull harness to ensure the safety of both the dog and the owner.
Sizes: Small to XX-large
Material: Polyester, nylon, plastic, metal
- Anti-friction pad to reduce irritation
- Reflective strips for enhanced visibility
- Made of oxford mesh for breathability
- Available in a wide variety of colors
- Comes in several sizes to choose from
- The nylon straps may wear out faster than expected
Review: With over 17,000 ratings on Amazon alone, this is the most rated emotional support animal vest on this list. Most of the reviews are positive, with consumers being happy with the design, and the plastic clips holding it all together were durable enough for large breeds. One and two-star reviews mostly complained the straps seemed cheap and did not hold up to daily use and the vest would not stay centered while their dog was wearing it.
Summary: This lightweight polyester vest is made with a large D-ring dog leash attachment and nylon handle for control and training. It includes reflective strips and two removable patches, as well as space for an ID card. Adjustable straps and a large variety of sizes make this a good option for almost any dog breed.
Sizes: XXS to XL
Material: Polyester, nylon
- Available in a wide variety of sizes
- Large reflective strip in the front for high visibility
- Includes removable ESA patches
- Adjustable straps for a snug and safe fit
- Special space for dog tags
- According to reviews, the sizing may be inconsistent
Review: Almost 90% of reviews are 4 and 5 stars, with the most common point being the emotional support animal vest is as described. Owners of ESAs were happy with the vest’s durability and design and had no major complaints. Negative reviews were mostly complaints about the size of the vest. Customers often noted the vest was smaller than they expected, and the letters on the patches are not stitched, so they are prone to rubbing off.
Summary: This mesh dog vest is a minimalistic design that is made to be breathable and comfortable. The reflective strips in the front of the vest enhance visibility in low light conditions, and the dual D-ring dog leash attachment makes for a strong and reliable hook-up for your leash.
- Made of high-quality materials
- Includes removable patches
- Easy-to-use step-in design
- Dual D-ring attachment
- Very affordable price
- The sizing chart on Amazon may be a bit off
Review: Reviews on this emotional support animal vest are mixed. While most buyers were happy with the design, they were frustrated with receiving a different size than expected. Buyers who left more critical ratings didn’t leave reviews except one who stated they had received the wrong size vest.
Summary: This ESA vest is made of mesh to be breathable and lightweight while offering a large space for removable patches. It has a D-ring for leash attachment, a nylon front strap for security, and a large ESA patch that is easily visible from a distance. It is available in various sizes to fit nearly any dog and is held together with a single plastic clasp for easy use.
- Easy-to-use design
- Lightweight mesh for breathability
- With a premium oversized patch
- Comfortable and secure design
- Comes in a wide variety of sizes
- Does not feature reflective strips
Review: Most buyers were happy with this emotional support animal vest averaging 4.6 stars with over 2,000 reviews. They liked how the harness fits their ESA and the fact that the ESA patch is large and easily visible at a distance. The most common complaint from 1-star reviews is that the harness “unravels” and is not secure enough for their ESA, with some customers stating their dog had broken free in busy areas while using this harness in public.
How do I Measure My Dog for an Emotional Support Animal Vest?
To measure your dog for a vest, it is easiest to use a flexible tape measure to wrap around the girth of the widest part of the dog’s ribcage. This will be around the armpit area and wrap around them up to their shoulder blades.
If a flexible tape measure is not available, you can also use a string to wrap around the ribcage, mark the string where the end of the string meets itself on the shoulder blades and lay the string out flat on a stiff tape measure to get an accurate measurement.
What Should I Look for in an Emotional Support Animal Vest?
When shopping for the best emotional support animal vest, there are several things to consider. Here is an in-depth review of the most important factors.
- Material. The material a dog vest is made of will matter depending on the climate and size of the dog. Mesh vests are good for hot weather conditions and dogs who are more susceptible to the heat, while padded and heavy-duty dog vests might be better for colder climates as they tend to not breathe as well.
- Space for Patches. A service animal vest can be made of a variety of materials, but one thing it must have is space for removable patches. Assistance animal patches and therapy dog patches are acceptable for ESAs, but service dog patches are meant for trained service dogs only. Falsely representing an ESA as a service animal is illegal and punishable as a crime, so be sure to get the right patch for the right scenario.
- Leash Attachment. There are a handful of ways to attach a leash to a service dog vest harness. Quick-release attachments are good for dogs who are well behaved on a leash or small dogs who don’t cause much trouble when walking. Large dogs may require a high-quality dog leash attachment, like a D-ring or a no-pull harness attachment, to prevent them from pulling and potentially breaking the harness or causing harm.
- Storage. Service dog vests will often have storage pockets for things like an animal ID card, paperwork stating the animal is a service dog, or, in the case of ESAs, space for an ESA letter written by a mental health professional.
- Color. Although there are no required colors for ESA vests, it may be essential to remember that some colors are easier to see than others. If you walk your dog in darker conditions, like early morning or dusk, then it may be a good idea to get a vest with reflective strips on it for better visibility. Certain types of vests may not come in a color you like. Tactical dog harnesses, for instance, will often only come in OD green or black. Ultimately, it is up to you to choose the color you want.
- Made from the strongest materials on the market. No more frayed seams or accessories that won't hold - great for large and small breeds.
- 2 removable identification patches plus sturdy handle mean you need only 1 vest for work, play, & every day.
- The only premium service animal vests that accommodate saddle bags & backpacks (sold separately), supplying pockets for food, bowls, medications, or extra supplies while still maintaining comfort.