Best Eye Supplements For Dogs At A Glance
- Best Overall Eye Supplement for Dogs: Coco and Luna Eye Support Chewable Tablets
- Best Budget-Friendly Eye Supplement: Nutrition Strength Eye Care Tablets
- Best In-Serving Eye Supplement: Dr. Mercola Eye Support Powder
- Best Eye Supplement for Medium and Large Dogs: Ocu-GLO Vision Supplement Gelcaps
- Best Eye Supplement in Tablet Form: Ocu-GLO PB Vision Supplement Capsules
Do Eye Supplements for Dogs Work?
Yes, eye supplements work for dogs. Continuous and adequate use of eye supplements in puppies and adults can lead to improved overall eye health and vision in older dogs.
However, eye supplements for dogs are not very effective in treating acute eye medical conditions. This is because they are formulated to support eye wellness and not to cure eye diseases.
As a dog owner, you should always discuss with ophthalmologists before providing eye supplements for dogs with severe retina issues. Using eye supplements for dogs with compromised eye health can make things worse.
How Can I Improve My Dog’s Eyesight?
One of the simplest yet most effective ways of improving your dog’s eye health and sight is using foods rich in beta carotene. Beta carotene can also be found in many eye supplements for dogs. Here are some other options for boosting your dog’s eyesight:
- Supplements. Another way is by providing pet eye supplements that boost their immune system. These supplements include antioxidants that help improve eye health in dogs. Eye supplements are available in different forms, including tasty soft chews and treats.
What are the Benefits of Eye Supplements for Dogs?
Eye supplements for dogs are health-boosting. In addition to supporting the dog’s eye health, they are rich in powerful ingredients, thus contributing to the dog’s overall wellness. Here are some of the benefits of eye supplements for dogs:
- Improve Eye Health and Vision. Eye supplements for dogs include antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids that boost their vision and support the different eye structures.
- Boost Retinal Response. One antioxidant widely used in eye supplements is lutein. This antioxidant helps in boosting retinal response. More often than not, poor eyesight in dogs results from the slowed retinal response.
- Neutralizes Free Radicals. Antioxidants like zeaxanthin, vitamin C, and E neutralize free radicals and improve eye health in dogs. The antioxidants provide immune support too.
- Improve Carotenoid Levels. The antioxidants like marigold flower extract and zeaxanthin present in eye supplements help improve the carotenoid levels in dogs’ eyes. They also provide relaxation due to eye strain.
The Best Eye Supplements for Dogs Review
With so many products in the market, it isn’t easy to know which one will suit your dog. To help you out, here we have reviewed some of the best eye supplements for dogs.
Summary: The eye supplement for dogs by Coco and Luna contains 120 chewable tablets that support eye health. The main ingredients in these tablets include Lutein, Zeaxanthin, cod liver oil, bilberry fruit, vitamin C and E, and astaxanthin. These help dogs with low carotenoid levels and eliminate eye strain. The tablets are bacon and liver flavored. Among the omega 3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA are the best components for maintaining eye health.
- Includes antioxidants for eye support
- FDA, NSF, and GMP certified
- Improves joint and bone health in dogs
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes, ages
- Chewy tablets
- Difficult to chew
Review: Coco and Luna Eye Dog Supplement has good customer reviews appreciating their good customer service. Many dog owners agreed that this pet supplement is beneficial beyond their expectations.
Summary: This eye supplement for dogs by Nutrition Strength Eye Care is formulated to help dogs’ eye health, maintain dogs’ eye structure and help dogs with ocular issues. The vision supplements come in tablets and include active ingredients lutein, vitamin C and E, bilberry antioxidants, and zeaxanthin. Nutrition Strength Eye Care also claims to provide a full refund if it doesn’t benefit their dog’s eye. The formula is made for dogs of all age groups.
- Tasty chewable tablets
- 120 tablets per single bottle
- Made for dogs of all sizes, shapes, and color
- Supports dog's eye problems
- Difficult serving
Review: Many dog owners found that one bottle is enough to see a visible change in their dog’s vision. Around 67% of the users gave it a 5-star rating. A very few found it difficult to serve it to their dogs (which usually happens which few dogs).
Summary: The Eye Support Powder by Dr. Mercola is for both cats and dogs. The main ingredients of the powder are lutein, bilberry fruit, zeaxanthin, vitamin C and vitamin E, and astaxanthin. The astaxanthin in this eye support powder protects the eye tissues and cells from oxidative damage. The eye support powder contains antioxidants that are valuable in healthy vision. Also, it contains 10% astaxanthin and claims that other eye supplements have it in only 5 to 7%. It is a liver-flavored powder which makes it tasty.
- Travel friendly
- Comes in powder form
- Contains antioxidant or eye and vision support
- Fruit flavor
- For both senior dogs and cats
- Non-GMO and gluten free
- Not safe to use without consultation
Review: A very good percentage of dog owners gave it a five-star rating as the medications proved beneficial for their dog’s eye health. However, about 7% of the users found it deadly. They suggest taking it to the vet before giving it to your dogs & cats.
Summary: Vision supplement by Ocu GLO contains 90 liquid gelcaps suitable for medium to large dogs. The ingredients of the gelcaps are grape seed extract, zinc, lutein, omega-3 fatty acids, other vitamins for dogs. They come with no added flavor. Depending on your pet health and weight, you can give from one to up to 4 gel caps to your dog daily. With these chewable tablets, dogs don’t require other multivitamins, including zinc, folate, coenzyme Q10, Lycopene, and other vitamins.
- Supports ocular and overall health
- Pure and effective
- Safe to administer
- Includes the right blend of nutrients
- Approved by NASC
- Suitable for dogs of all ages and size
- Difficult to swallow
Review: The Ocu Glo vision supplement has relatively good reviews, and many dog owners found it useful. Only users that received fake products complained about it. Few dog owners also found it hard for their dogs to swallow it.
Summary: If you think your dog finds it hard for the gelcaps to swallow, Ocu GLO also comes in a powder blend. This vision supplement is approved for both dogs and cats. The ingredients include astaxanthin, lutein, omega 3 fatty acids, grape seed extract, and other antioxidants suitable for eye support. Its powder form makes it easy to digest. If your dog has a sensitive stomach, any health supplement given in powder form is better.
- Includes quality ingredients
- Features zinc, Q10, folate coenzyme
- Backed by research
- Suitable for small and large dogs
- Some dogs may dislike the taste
Review: The powder blend has many positive reviews, which says their dog’s eyesight improved, while a small percentage of dog users didn’t find it helpful even after the vet’s recommendations.
What Supplement is Good for Dog’s Eyes?
Vitamins and antioxidants are among the best nutrients for eye health support. Here are some of the things you should consider when choosing high-quality eye supplements for dogs:
- Reputable Brand. It is important to buy from a reputable brand whose products are safe and effective. A reputable brand will be transparent – fund studies about its products and share information.
- Good Reviews. Always check what other dog parents say about the eye supplement you are looking for. Good brands provide insight into reviews from previous customers.
- Ease of Use. The eye supplement must be easy to use and give even to uncooperative dogs. Even the best supplement won’t work unless your dog takes it.
- Ingredients. Last but not least, you need to carefully read the ingredient list of the eye supplement. There are many eye health-boosting ingredients. You just need to find what works best for your dog.
Since the ingredients are particularly important, we should briefly go through the most important ones. Here are some of the components in eye supplements for dogs:
- Antioxidants Like Lutein or Grapeseed Extract. Some of the few antioxidants eye supplements for dogs include lutein, astaxanthin, and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants prevent the dog’s eyes from oxidative stress and damage.
- Bilberry Fruit. Bilberry is a source of vitamin C and helps in dogs with eye disorders, cataracts, and macular degeneration. The antioxidant effect in bilberry also supports eye health.
- Cod Liver Oil. Cod liver oil is an exceptional vitamin A and D source and helps reduce inflammation-related effects. Cod liver oil has other beneficial health effects and boosts the dog’s overall wellness.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids. The presence of omega 3 fatty acids like fish oil helps in macular degeneration and glaucoma in dogs. DHA is another major omega 3 fatty acid used in dog eye supplements. It is helpful in the eye development of puppies. Even EPA is a good omega 3 component for dogs’ eyes.
- Vitamins B, C, and E. Other vitamins found in eye supplements for dogs include vitamin C, B, and E. These also act as multivitamins for dogs and support their overall health.
What Dogs Need Eye Supplements?
Eye supplements for dogs are recommended in cases of sensitive eyes and a high risk of developing eye conditions. This would include:
- Dogs with grey, blue, and pale eyes
- Dogs prone to tearing and tear stains
- Dogs with compromised vision and cloudiness
- Dogs with glaucoma, cataract, and cherry eyes
- Dogs with diabetes
- Older dogs with deteriorating eye structures.
If you are unsure of your dog’s eye health, you can perform specific tests to sense the sight on your dog’s eyes. Ideally, it would help to have your dog’s eyes checked at the vet’s once or twice a year. Also, make sure you consult with the vet in terms of which eye supplements for dogs are best.