What are the Best Fiber Supplements for Cat Diarrhea?
- Best Overall Fiber for Cats with Diarrhea: VETNIQUE LABS Glandex Feline Anal Gland Fiber Supplement Powder for Cats
This fiber supplement provides everything a cat needs for healthy digestion and is very easy to use.
- Best Fiber for Cats with Anal Gland Issues: Glandex Cat Anal Gland Sac Fiber Supplement Powder
With the use of digestive enzymes, fiber, and probiotics, this formula helps with gut health and anal gland health.
- Best Enzyme-Rich Fiber for Cats with Diarrhea: Nature’s Pure Edge Poop Fixer Fiber Supplement
There are a half dozen digestive enzymes that assist fiber in normalizing digestion in cats, and this supplement features them.
- Best Limited Ingredient Fiber for Cats with Diarrhea: FiberVet Fiber Supplement for Dogs and Cats
There is only one ingredient in this supplement which makes it the purest form of fiber supplement on this list.
- Best Pumpkin-Based Fiber for Cats with Diarrhea: kin+kind Pumpkin Boost Organic Fiber for Cats
There are only a handful of ingredients in this fiber supplement, and each of them is made of natural and whole foods.
Can I Give My Cat Fiber for Diarrhea?
Yes, dietary fiber for cats with diarrhea are an option.
In fact, fiber is a great treatment for most acute cases of cat diarrhea. It adds bulk to a cat’s feces and absorbs water while slowing down bowel movements.
What Are the Benefits of Fiber for Cats With Diarrhea?
Fiber for cats with diarrhea have several benefits. Here are some of them:
- Boosted with Probiotics. Fiber supplements are often paired with probiotic supplements. This gives your cat everything it needs for a healthy digestive system, which promotes a healthy immune system and makes for a healthy cat.
- Firms up the Stool. Fiber helps to add bulk and consistency to a cat’s stool. This means the cat will have a better time going to the litter box and have to go less frequently. As fiber moves through the digestive tract, it collects fecal matter, adding more bulk to the stool and removing waste more efficiently.
- Weight Control. Since fiber cannot be digested, it keeps cats feeling full longer, helping prevent weight gain and health problems associated with obesity in cats.
Fiber Supplements for Cats with Diarrhea Reviewed
Here is an in-depth review of some of the best fiber for cats with diarrhea. They are available over-the-counter and can be found on Amazon and Chewy.
Summary: Using key ingredients like pumpkin seed and apple pectin, this product promotes the natural emptying of anal glands. Its formula includes all-natural ingredients so your cat’s glands are healthy and a unique fiber blend of omega fatty acids, digestive enzymes, prebiotics, and probiotics offers a cat’s diet everything it needs.
The formula is patented, and the cat supplement is guaranteed to work within 3 to 5 weeks. Plus, it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The product is made in the USA, and cats like it since it features an irresistible tuna taste.
Ingredient Analysis: Pumpkin seed powder and granulated pumpkin seed provide most of the fiber with the addition of apple pectin. Vitamin C and vitamin E are included for immune system support and red blood cell production. Quercetin dihydrate, Lactobacillus acidophilus are anti-inflammatory and probiotic, respectively, and all of this makes for a great and clean ingredients list.
- With all-natural ingredients
- Whole food sources of fiber
- Provides vitamins C and E
- Includes a probiotic
- Made in the USA
- The smell may be off-putting for some people
Review: Most of the reviews were positive, with about 10% of total reviews being critical. Happy customers say this stuff worked for their cats and prevented them from “skunking” their owners when they were happy. The two most common complaints were that their cats wouldn’t eat the food or it made their house smell bad.
Summary: This fiber powder is scientifically formulated to support healthy anal glands. It uses pumpkin seed as the base of the formula and is recommended by veterinarians to support healthy anal gland function.
The patented formula includes all-natural ingredients and a fiber blend that includes vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. It is made in the USA to ensure the highest quality and safety measures were used in manufacturing this product.
Ingredient Analysis: Pumpkin seed and granulated pumpkin seed are the first ingredients, and these offer the supplement most of its fiber content. Probiotics are included to help regulate bowel activity, and vitamins C and E help to support the immune system.
- All-natural ingredients
- Includes probiotics
- Rich in vitamins C and E
- Pectin to soothe irritated intestines
- Made in the USA
- The smell is too strong
Review: Most of the ratings were positive with this fiber supplement. Some cat owners said the powder worked well for their cats and helped to mitigate some causes of diarrhea in their cats. Other people said it had not worked for their cat, or their cat wouldn’t eat their food once this powder was added.
Summary: With a formula containing pumpkin, carrot, grass fiber, and prebiotics, this fiber supplement was made to give your pet the healthiest stool possible. It works for diarrhea and constipation in both adult cats and dogs. It helps with weight problems and reduces bloating, upset stomach, and some food allergies.
It is veterinarian recommended across the US and is widely regarded as one of the first and safest interventions for gastrointestinal tract problems. It is made in the USA and comes complete with a 100% satisfaction guarantee with no questions.
Ingredient Analysis: Pumpkin, carrot, air-dried Triticum aestivum grass, and inulin provide the fiber content for this supplement. Chicken is added for taste, while a proprietary blend of digestive enzymes helps to normalize digestion.
Review: Many cat owners praised this powder for helping to improve their pet’s health. Their dogs and cats had fewer loose stools, and their cats with sensitive stomachs could consume this without a problem. Critical reviews said their dogs threw up after eating it, or their cats wouldn’t eat it at all.
Summary: This powder fiber supplement can be easily added to food but easily dissolves in water for easy administering. It is made with only one ingredient that is gluten-free, grit-free, and will not thicken water when added.
It is formulated to be safe for both cats and dogs of all ages. The supplement is made in the USA for the best quality and safety possible.
Ingredient Analysis: The only ingredient is digestion-resistant maltodextrin. This provides fiber that can be dissolved in water and still helps to normalize bowel activity.
- Made with only one ingredient
- Dissolves in water
- Made in the USA
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Some pets might not like the taste of the single ingredient formula
Review: Reviews were sparse for this product. Happy customers said their pets couldn’t detect this supplement in their water, and they were happy with the effects. There was only one negative review and a handful of ratings. The review said they had received a bottle without a label or seal.
Summary: A balanced source of soluble and prebiotic fiber, protease, and digestive enzymes support bowel regularity and healthy digestion. A blend of organic ginger, pumpkin, and flaxseed gives this product a high level of fiber that helps to move feces through the cat’s digestive system.
Real superfoods are used instead of artificial ingredients and synthetic nutrients. Plus, there are no GMOs or grains in this vet-formulated fiber supplement. Overall, it supports cat health on several levels.
Ingredient Analysis: Pumpkin, flaxseed, coconut, and chicory root all work together to provide the high level of fiber this supplement offers, as well as vitamins and minerals. Turmeric and ginger provide anti-inflammatory properties, and banana helps to encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Antioxidant-rich superfoods
- High in vitamins & minerals
- Easy to use powder
- Certified USDA organic
- Made in the USA
- Some pickier cats might not take to it
Review: Most reviews were left by pet owners who were happy this product worked for their pets. Cat owners called this a “life saver” and claimed it helped improve their cat’s GI tract issues. A small number of pet owners said their pets would not touch the kibble when sprinkled.
What Should I Look for in Fiber Supplements for Cat Diarrhea?
There are several factors to consider when looking for fiber for cats with diarrhea:
- Fiber Levels. High-fiber foods can be helpful for younger cats or cats with certain disorders. Examples of ailments that are improved by higher fiber would be acute or chronic diarrhea, constipation, hairballs, and irritation from IBD. Lower fiber food can be helpful in active or older cats as they do not require fiber to be healthy, but it helps.
- Fiber Source. Not every source of fiber is equal. Some fibrous sources contain more soluble fiber (chicory root, inulin, pectin), while other sources are more insoluble fiber dominant (cellulose, hemicelluloses, and lignins). Generally speaking, high fiber supplements will contain a mix of both, and this is a great preventive measure that can easily be added to a cat’s food.
- Other Active Ingredients. Things like prebiotics and probiotics are great additions to a fiber supplement. These help the digestive system maintain good health, while fiber helps bowel movements become more regular.
- Supplement Form and Taste. Cat supplements come in different forms and flavors. It is advisable to choose the combination that is easy for you to use and your cat has no issue taking.
How Much Fiber Should I Give My Cat for Diarrhea?
The exact dosage of fiber for cat diarrhea depends on several factors:
- Age. Younger cats can benefit from a slightly higher fiber diet. However, older cats and healthy cats do not need an increased fiber intake. Their requirements are generally 1.4-3.5% of a cat’s daily caloric intake being from the fiber.
Fiber is a carbohydrate and equals four calories per gram, even though the cat cannot digest it. This means if you are feeding your cat 3 grams of fiber per day, it is receiving 12 calories in fiber daily. If 12 calories is less than 1.4%-3.5% of your cat’s daily calorie intake, you are adequately feeding them enough fiber.
- Health and Weight. While most cats can benefit from fiber, some cats with certain ailments will find great use in it. Fiber can be helpful in cats with inflammatory bowel disease, chronic diarrhea, and constipation. Fiber is also helpful for overweight cats.
Since fiber cannot be digested, it makes the cat feel full sooner and for longer. This makes it a good weight loss tool for overweight cats. Somewhere closer to the 3.5% mark for fiber intake will likely suit cats with these needs best.