Related Articles: Flea Shampoo for Dogs, Flea Shampoo for Puppies, Dry Shampoo for Dogs, Dog Shampoo, Oatmeal Shampoo for Dogs, Medicated Dog Shampoo, Dog Conditioner, Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin, Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs, Best Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin, Dog Shampoo for Allergies, Dog Dandruff Shampoo, Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo, Mange Shampoo for Dogs, Chlorhexidine Shampoo for Dogs, Antifungal Dog Shampoo, Natural Dog Shampoo, Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin, Dog Lice Shampoo, Best Puppy Shampoo
Best Flea and Tick Shampoos for Dogs Summary
- Best Overall Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs: Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs
A vet recommended power-packed dog shampoo with three active ingredients for a safe and quick rid flea treatment.
- Most Conditioning Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs: Hartz UltraGuard Pro Triple Action Flea & Tick Shampoo
Conditioning pet shampoo with active ingredients that kill fleas and ticks and leave your dogs fresh-smelling for 5 days.
- Best All-Natural Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs: TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo
A clean formula with naturally derived active ingredients to relieve your dog from the harms of tick and flea infestations.
- Most Potent Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs: Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo
Dog shampoo with plant extracts and essential oils that combat skin infections caused by flea and tick infestations.
- Best Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs: Scentry Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs
An effective oatmeal-based dog shampoo formula that comes in a 63.5-ounce bottle and lathers easily for simple and lasting use.
Do Flea and Tick Shampoos Work?
Yes, the flea and tick shampoo for dogs works. Flea and tick shampoos are specifically formulated with active ingredients that act against ectoparasites (ticks, fleas, and lice) that may find their way into your dog’s coat and skin surface.
Shampoos for tick and flea control feature chemical insecticides or natural ingredients (pyrethrins) that kill pests. Some pet shampoos have residual efficacy and can prevent future infestations for a certain timeframe.
Should I Use Flea and Tick Shampoo on My Dog?
Yes, you can use flea and tick shampoo on your dog.
The flea and tick shampoo for dogs is readily available on the market and are easy to use. Plus, it kill bugs on contact and feature ingredients that are soothing on the dog’s skin.
On the other hand, flea and tick shampoos can be toxic if misused and cause issues like diarrhea, vomiting, breathing issues, muscle tremors, seizures, and weakness.
Additionally, some shampoos do not have residual efficacy (they do not prevent future infestations. In such cases, they need to be paired with topical flea and tick prevention products, oral products, or flea collars/tick collars.
The Best Flea and Tick Shampoos for Dogs Reviewed
From mainstream, fresh-scent shampoos to waterless tick sprays for dogs – there are various types of flea and tick shampoos on Amazon and Chewy. Here is a review of products that will help you find the best flea and tick shampoo for dogs.
Summary: A power-packed formula for quick elimination of flea and tick infestations. It features three active ingredients that kill pests. This vet-recommended shampoo is pH-balanced for pets, supports skin and coat health, and comes at an affordable price. Plus, it is gentle on the dog’s skin and can be used on dogs with sensitive skin and puppies older than 12 weeks of age.
Scent: No added fragrance
Key Ingredients: Pyrethrum, piperonyl butoxide, N-octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide
- With three active ingredients
- Fast-acting and pH-balanced
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Fit for puppies over 12 weeks of age
- Vet-recommended and affordable
- The consistency of the shampoo is thin
Review: All across the globe, 10,710 customers have rated this shampoo an average of 4.4 / 5. Customers are raving about its quick action, ease of use, and suitability for sensitive skin.
Summary: This conditioning formula targets fleas, flea eggs, larvae, and brown dog ticks. With each use, it provides relief from associated symptoms that last for up to 4 weeks. This shampoo also deodorizes, cleanses, and conditions your dog’s coat for a fresh bathing experience. Plus, it comes from one of the most trusted brands in the USA.
Key Ingredients: Pyriproxyfen
- America’s number 1 flea and tick brand
- Works on flea eggs for up to 30 days
- Conditions and helps restore shine
- Free from harsh chemicals and additives
- Leaves the dog’s coat with a fresh scent
- Cannot be used for puppies younger than 12 weeks
Review: This shampoo has been rated an average of 4.4 / 5 based on 1,091 reviews. Pet owners vouch for its efficacy against fleas and where to buy Phentermine online ticks and the long-lasting freshness after each use.
Summary: A clean, soap-free formulation with essential oils as natural active ingredients such as – clove, lemongrass, cedarwood, and cinnamon oil that effectively kills adult fleas, ticks, larvae, and eggs by contact. Plus, the shampoo repels fleas for up to 7 days. The shampoo lathers easily, and it should stay on the dog’s coat for 5 to 7 minutes.
Scent: Clove and lemongrass
Key Ingredients: Sesame oil, clove oil, lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, cinnamon oil
- With natural active ingredients
- Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae
- Soap-free with several essential oils
- Gentle on the dog’s skin and coat
- Comes in a spill-resistant packaging
- Not free from sulfates
Review: 4,414 ratings indicate this product as a 4.5/5 star shampoo for flea and tick problems in dogs. Customers have highly recommended this product and love the fresh fragrance.
Summary: A plant-based, veterinary-grade formula with advanced strength derived from rosemary and peppermint essential oils that kill fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact. The shampoo also cleans and deodorizes the dog’s coat. It is safe to use on pups over 12 weeks of age and is fit for all seasons, offering year-round protection.
Scent: Rosemary and peppermint
Key Ingredients: Plant-based natural oils (rosemary and peppermint)
- Vet-grade product with advanced strength
- Efficient and plant-based formulation
- Cleans, hydrates, conditions, and deodorizes
- No added fragrances and colors
- USA-made with globally sourced ingredients
- Not suitable for dogs sensitive to essential oils
Review: Based on 7,578 global ratings, this shampoo has an average rating of 4.4/5. Customers are wowed by its fast action from the first use itself.
Summary: This oatmeal-based shampoo with two insecticide ingredients is excellent for managing flea and tick infestations on dogs with irritated skin or sensitive skin. The formula works against the notorious deer tick that may carry Lyme disease. Plus, the pet shampoo comes in a 63.5 fl oz bottle, which will last for several months, making this a great value-for-money product.
Scent: Hawaiian ginger scent
Key Ingredients: Permethrin, piperonyl butoxide, oatmeal
- Made with natural ingredients
- Kills fleas and ticks for up to 10 days
- Rich, conditioning, oatmeal formula
- Offers excellent value for money
- Comes in a convenient pump bottle
- Cannot be used for puppies younger than 12 weeks
Review: 2,341 global ratings have made the Sentry flea shampoo a 4.6/5 star product. Pet owners are in love with its fast action, amazing lather, and the size of the product.
What’s the Best Dog Shampoo for Fleas and Ticks?
Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs is the best flea and tick shampoo for dogs. It has a strong and efficient formula that is gentle on the dog’s skin – cleans and exfoliates. Plus, it is fast-acting and suitable for all dog breeds and skin types. Finally, the formula is free from harsh chemicals and artificial additives.
- Give your pet relief from symptoms including droppings/flea dirt in dog’s coat, allergic dermatitis, excessive scratching, licking or biting at skin, hair loss, tapeworms and pale gums.
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care premium medicated products are created with veterinary-grade ingredients, available at an affordable price.
- With up to 3x more active ingredients, this flea and tick shampoo is formulated with pyrethrum – a natural insecticide – to kill and control fleas and ticks on-contact, soothe irritated skin while cleansing & exfoliating.
What Should I Look for When Buying Flea Shampoo for Dogs?
When choosing the right flea and ticks shampoo for dogs, you need to consider factors like active ingredients, soothing effects, ease of use, brand, etc. Let’s take a close look at each factor:
- Active Ingredients. First, you need to pay attention to the active ingredient in the shampoo. Such shampoos feature either chemical or natural insecticides. When used responsibly, these ingredients are safe for the dog.
- Skin-Soothing Properties. In addition to insecticides, the shampoo must feature ingredients with skin-soothing features. Such ingredients include aloe vera, coconut oil, oatmeal, etc.
- No Harsh Chemicals. The flea and tick shampoo for dogs must be free from harsh chemicals (soaps, parabens, sulfates, lanolin, formaldehyde) and artificial additives (fragrances, dyes).
- Ease of Use. Considering you will use the shampoo on a regular basis, it is a good idea to get one that is straightforward to use – lathers easily, and comes in a convenient bottle that is easy to handle while bathing.
- Brand. Always research the brand you are considering. Ideally, it should be based in the USA and be transparent. You can learn a lot about the reputation of the brand by reading reviews from other pet parents.
How Often Can I Wash My Dog With Flea and Tick Shampoo?
The general rule of thumb is to use flea and tick shampoo for dogs once per week. However, this frequency varies depending on your dog’s health and the severity of the infection.
If you are not sure about the exact bathing frequency, we suggest talking to your trusted vet.
How Fast does Flea and Tick Shampoo Work for Dogs?
This largely varies on the type of tick treatment shampoo for dogs & puppies and the condition of infestations on your dog’s coat. However, you should see considerable improvement from the first use itself.
How Long does Dog Flea and Tick Shampoo Last?
Most flea and tick shampoos will have an effect lasting up to 7-10 days, and some can last up to 15 days and repel future infestations. Based on the dog’s size and how often you use the product, the flea and tick shampoo for dogs should last for a couple of months.