Halo Dog Food Summary
- Best Overall Halo Dog Food: Halo Garden of Vegan Adult Dry Dog Food
Using no animal products, this is a grain-inclusive vegan dog food provides complete nutrition.
- Best Halo Dog Food for Small Breeds: Halo Dry Dog Food For Small Dogs
The kibble in this food is made into smaller, easy-to-chew shapes for small-breed adult dogs.
- Best Halo Dog Food for Everyday Dogs: Halo Adult Dry Dog Food
This food provides complete nutrition suitable for dogs with basic dietary requirements.
- Best Wet Halo Dog Food: Halo Adult Wet Dog Food
Providing balanced nutrition with wholesome ingredients, this canned dog food is great.
- Best Halo Dog Food for Senior Dogs: Halo Senior Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This grain-free food is specifically formulated for senior dogs to easily chew and digest.
- Best Halo Dog Food for Healthy Weight Control: Halo Holistic Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
High in fiber and protein while low in fat, this food has limited calories for weight control.
- Highly digestible since there are no rendered meat meals, artificial ingredients, or preservatives
- With Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, plus whole meat to help adult dogs maintain their strength and energy level
- Has a crunchy texture with a taste that dogs love even picky eaters can’t help but dig in
What is Halo Dog Food?
Halo Dog Food is a reputable pet food manufacturer whose mission is to provide dog and cat food made with wholesome and non-GMO ingredients.
Where is Halo Dog Food Made?
Halo Dog Food is made in the United States. The headquarters of the brand is in Tampa, FL.
How is Halo Dog Food Made?
Halo Dog Food is made with high-quality and carefully selected ingredients sourced from the USA, Canada, and New Zealand. The pet food brand uses non-GMO ingredients and avoids fillers and artificial preservatives.
Halo Dog Food offers both grain-free and grain-inclusive recipes for dogs with different needs. It also has a vegan dog food line made with plant-based ingredients and protein sources.
Each Halo Dog Food formula includes high protein levels, health-boosting superfoods, fruits, and veggies, as well as probiotics for gut health and mineral and vitamin supplements.
Is Halo Food Good For Dogs?
Yes, Halo Dog Food is good.
Halo Dog Food uses wholesome ingredients for the bulk of its recipes and supplements only when necessary. It uses no fillers, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. The meat in the food recipes is ethically sourced and sustainably caught.
The brand offers food formulas for dogs of all life stages and different dietary requirements.
Halo Dog Food Formulas Reviewed
There are many Halo Dog Food formulas available. To help dog owners find the best food for their pets, we have reviewed some of the brand’s best-sellers.
Summary: This food features a vegan makeup with a protein profile that mimics whole meat protein. The ingredients are non-GMO and are cage-free, organic, and made in the USA. Healthy grains are included for healthy digestion in adult dogs, and there are no artificial ingredients or preservatives. It is made in two flavors and sold in a handful of sizes to fit the needs of any adult dog.
Type: Dry dog food
Best for: Adult dogs
Flavor Options: Garden of Vegan; Ocean of Vegan
- Vegan formula contains no known common allergens
- High-fiber content due to plant-based ingredients
- Made with healthy and easily digestible grains
- No GMOs, artificial preservatives, or rendered meats
- Suitable for dogs sensitive to common animal proteins
- Expensive price tag
- Vegan diet is not fit for all dogs
Ingredient Analysis: Ground peas, chickpeas, and pearled barley are the first three ingredients. Typically the first ingredients are the protein sources in dog food, so we can assume this is the basis for the protein of this food, along with pea protein. It also contributes greatly to the fiber and carbohydrate content. Blueberries, canola oil, and flaxseed are included and are a great source of fatty acids. Vitamins and minerals are largely supplemented to help make this dog food a great source of complete nutrition.
Review: Many positive reviews tell stories about their dogs being able to gain healthy weight and stop itching once being introduced to this food. Many are surprised a vegan dog food works so well for their pet, and some are happy their dog’s farts no longer smell. Critical reviews, however, were disappointed by the effects the high fiber in this food had on their dog. Numerous customers also said this food made their dogs sick.
Summary: This dry dog food is made with whole meat protein and includes no rendered meat meal or by-product. Made with whole grains for fiber and digestive support, this food is rich in vitamins and minerals for a healthy coat. It contains no GMO products and is designed specifically for small breed adult dogs. The small kibble is made to be easy to chew and swallow and rich in L-carnitine and taurine. It is available in one flavor and a 4-pound bag.
Type: Dry dog food
Best for: Small breed adult dogs
Flavor Options: Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe
- Made with non-GMO foods
- Whole grains for easy digestion
- Contains no antibiotics
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Superfoods provide antioxidants
- Many customers say they may have received counterfeit dog food when ordering this product on Amazon
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken is the first ingredient and provides this food with high-quality protein. Chicken liver is second and adds taste and a wealth of minerals. Pea protein completes the amino acid profile of this food, while probiotics are added for digestive health. Sweet potatoes, flaxseed, and pea fiber make up the carbohydrate and dietary fiber content, while vitamins and minerals are supplied mainly through superfoods like blueberries and cranberries.
Review: Consumers are widely happy about the fact this food is made in the USA. Many reviews talk about how their picky dogs and senior dogs enjoy this food while pet parents feel good about feeding them a high-quality product. Negative reviews complain about the quality of the food when ordering from Amazon. They suspect the seller on the retailer’s website is selling counterfeit goods.
Summary: This dry dog food is crafted from certified, sustainably sourced ingredients and made in the USA. None of the ingredients were grown or raised on a factory farm, and the fish is provided by Marine Stewardship Council certified sustainable fisheries. The holistic recipe is made with whole grains and uses no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. It is made in three flavors and in wet and dry varieties to fit the needs of almost any dog.
Type: Dry dog food
Best for: Adult dogs
Flavor Options: Wild Salmon & Whitefish Recipe; Garden of Vegan Recipe; Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe
- Real foods provide most of the nutrients, not supplements
- No artificial preservatives
- Real salmon is the first ingredient
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants
- The fish in these recipes is supplied from certified sustainable sources
- An unspecified natural flavor is used in this formula
Ingredient Analysis: Real meat, like salmon and chicken, is the first ingredient in this recipe, and this ensures this food is rich in protein. Dried peas and chickpeas provide most of the carbohydrates and fiber, and soy protein is added to increase the protein content. Probiotics are then added along with fruits and veggies for micronutrients. Overall, this is an excellent ingredients list, although it does include an unnamed natural flavor with no specified origin.
Review: Customers who gave this product good reviews were happy with the improvements in their dog’s energy, coat, and stool. However, even five-star reviews mentioned the high price tag with complaints that the price was raised shortly after a handful of reviews mentioned how good the price was. Complaints about fowl breath after eating, an incomplete ingredients list, and poor delivery were at the top of the critical comments section, but the reviews following those were sporadic. It seems as though the causes for a negative review were mixed.
Summary: The almost-pate texture of this wet dog food is made, so the ingredients do not have to undergo intense cooking to be made into canned food. It uses non-GMO fruits and vegetables that are sourced from the USA and made in the USA. Whole grains aid in digestion and provide moderate carbs while helping to make this food rich in fatty acids. It includes tender bits of vegetables in a high moisture formula that hydrates while a dog eats. It is available in a small selection of flavors and in the case of 12 5.5-ounce cans.
Type: Wet dog food
Best for: Adult dogs
Flavor Options: Chicken Stew; Garden of Vegan; Beef Stew
- High moisture content for hydration
- Contains real whole chicken
- Contains no antibiotics
- Rich in omega-6 fatty acids
- Antioxidants for immune system support
- An unnamed natural flavor is used in this recipe
Ingredient Analysis: Chicken broth and chicken are the first two ingredients in this recipe, and this gives this food a rich flavor and an excellent source of high-quality protein. Chicken liver and turkey are included for their rich minerals and dense protein content, while minerals such as zinc, iron, and copper are added for healthy body function. Vitamins are supplemented to help make this a well-rounded source of nutrition.
Review: Many positive reviews note their dogs love this food and will readily eat it, even their picky eaters. Even five-star reviews had complaints about the condition in which the product was delivered and the price they paid, though. Negative reviews cited things like mold, damaged products, and being charged $27.00 for one can of food as reasons for their complaints.
Summary: This dry dog food is formulated specifically for senior dogs. It offers whole meat nutrition and non-GMO fruits and vegetables for healthy skin, bones, and body functions. It includes no fillers or artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Providing 100% complete nutrition, this food is available in one flavor and two sizes.
Type: Dry dog food
Best for: Senior dogs
Flavor Options: Turkey, Turkey Liver, & Duck Recipe
- Certified cage-free turkey is the first ingredient
- Specially formulated for senior dogs
- DHA and glucosamine for brain and joint function
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- No artificial preservatives, non-GMO
- An unspecified natural flavor is added to this recipe
Ingredient Analysis: Turkey, turkey liver, and duck provide the foundation of protein in this formula, and all of these are excellent sources of protein and minerals. Dried chickpeas, lentils, and sweet potatoes offer up carbohydrates and fiber, while chicken fat is used to boost crude fat content. Minerals and vitamins are heavily supplemented and provide the necessary nutrients to make this a complete nutrition dog food.
Review: Many positive reviews praise this food for their senior dog loving it and say it helps for weight maintenance as well as providing their old dog with the nutrition they need. Negative reviews were few on this product, but they heavily cited the recent rise in controversy around grain-free dog food as reasons for their complaints.
Summary: Made for overweight dogs, this is a high-protein, low-fat food with higher fiber to make dogs feel full longer. It uses real meat as the first ingredient and is grain-free. Probiotics are included for gut health, while vitamins and minerals are supplied almost exclusively through supplements. It is only available in one flavor and in three different-sized packages.
Type: Dry dog food
Best for: Overweight dogs
Flavor Options: Holistic Turkey, Turkey Liver & Duck Recipe
- High protein, high fiber formula for weight control
- Made with certified cage-free turkey
- Source of complete nutrition
- Contains probiotics for gut health
- No preservatives, fillers, and GMO ingredients
- An unspecified natural flavor is used in this recipe
Ingredient Analysis: Turkey is the first ingredient and is an excellent source of protein. dried peas, chickpeas, and lentils provide most of the carbs, and pea protein and soy protein help to boost the crude protein content. Vitamins and minerals are heavily supplemented after the inclusion of fruits and vegetables for the bulk of the micronutrients. Overall, this is a good ingredient list, but there is an unnamed natural flavor used that has no clear origin.
Review: Reviews from satisfied customers express happiness in their dog eating the food readily and losing weight in the process. Some dog owners mention their dog is older or has few teeth and is still able to eat this dry food. Negative reviews are a little repetitive with comments on the grain-free dog food controversy and mentioning they found pests in their food when they received it.
What Dog Food Formula does Halo Recipe Make?
Halo Dog Food offers a range of products for dogs. Here is a list of the brand’s recipes:
- Halo Dry Dog Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Grain-Free Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Healthy Grains Large Breed Chicken Recipe Dry Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Healthy Grains Puppy Chicken Recipe Dry Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Healthy Grains Small Breed Red Meat Recipe Dry Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Grain Free Salmon Recipe Dry Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Healthy Grains Lamb Recipe Dry Food
- Halo Wet Dog Food
- Halo Elevate Dog Homestyle Bone-In Grain Free Chicken Stew with Carrots & Spinach
- Halo Elevate Dog Smoky BBQ Stew Grain Free Glazed Chicken Stew with White Potatoes & Carrots
- Halo Elevate Dog Kettle Cooked Chunky Healthy Grains Chicken Stew with Carrots, Green Beans & Brown Rice
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Food
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Beef Meal Bites
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Turducken Meal Bites
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Turkey Meal Bites
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Whitefish Meal Bites
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Skin & Coat Topper
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Protein Topper
- Halo Dog Treats
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Turkey Dog Treat
- Halo Bully Sticks
- Halo Venison Jerky Medallions
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Duck Treat
- Halo Freeze-Dried Raw Chicken Hearts Dog Treat
Is Halo Dog Food Good For Sensitive Stomachs?
Yes, Halo Dog Food is good for sensitive stomachs.
Halo Dog Food does not use known allergens or irritating ingredients in its foods and offers grain-free recipes for sensitive dogs. Plus, the brand includes probiotics in all of its formulas to promote gut health and digestion.
Is Halo Dog Food AAFCO approved?
Yes, Halo Dog Food is AAFCO approved.
All Halo recipes are in accordance with the nutritional requirements and safety standards set by The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
Has Halo Pet Food Been Recalled?
No, Halo Dog Food has not been recalled.
Is Halo Dog Food Worth It?
Yes, Halo Dog Food is worth it.
Halo Dog Food is in the same price bracket as brands like Royal Canin and Blue Buffalo, and it is also just as well crafted as those brands. The brand uses whole food ingredients in its formulas and sources them from farms that are certified sustainable.
Halo Dog Food only uses wild-caught fish, and non-GMO plant ingredients and each recipe offers complete nutrition for dogs. The formulas are a bit expensive, but they are worth it.