What is the Best Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo?
- Best Overall Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: Earthbath Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Featuring a natural and 100% biodegradable formula at an available price, this is the best hypoallergenic cat shampoo.
- Best Conditioning Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: TropiClean OxyMed Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Using a blend of nourishing micronutrients, this is the best hypoallergenic and conditioning formula in one.
- Best Affordable Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
Made with vet-grade ingredients, this hypoallergenic shampoo is efficient and available at an affordable price.
- Best Anti-Itch Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: Breezytail PetO’Cera Cat Shampoo
Easy-use, anti-itch shampoo for sensitive skin made by a brand that is transparent about its ingredients and manufacturing.
- Best Moisturizing Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: HYPONIC Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Cats
Premium-quality shampoo awarded by the German Dermatological Research Institute for its safety and hypoallergenic effects.
- Best Waterless Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo: TropiClean Hypoallergenic Waterless Shampoo
No-rinse, waterless cat shampoo that is easy to use on the go and comes with several skin benefits and effects.
Is There Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Cats?
Yes, there are many hypoallergenic cat shampoo options.
They are, in fact, mild shampoos made with natural ingredients that do not have an irritating effect on the cat’s sensitive skin. To prevent unwanted reactions, hypoallergenic shampoos are free from harsh chemicals (parabens, sulfates, phthalates, soaps, DEA, MEA) and artificial additives (colorants, preservatives, and dyes). They are also fragrance-free.
Does Hypoallergenic Shampoo Work for Cats?
Yes, the hypoallergenic cat shampoo works. Hypoallergenic shampoos are excellent for felines with sensitive skin. They act as gentle cleansers that nourish the cat’s skin and soften the cat’s coat.
The Best Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoos Reviewed
With so many brands offering hypoallergenic cat shampoo products, it can be hard to find the right one for your feline friend. To simplify the process, we have reviewed the best cat shampoos for skin sensitivities.
Summary: The all-natural formula of Earthbath Hypoallergenic Shampoo is made of vitamins and renewable plant-based cleansers to ensure an eco-friendly and pet-conscious bathing experience. The shampoo is suitable for both cats and dogs and features a concentrated formula. Namely, the 16 fl oz bottle is likely to last a long time making this a budget-friendly product.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Plant-derived and coconut-based cleansers, organic aloe vera, and vitamins A, B, D, and E
- Perfect for sensitive skin
- Ultra-concentrated formula
- Excellent cost to value ratio
- 100% biodegradable product
- Made in the USA
- Does not lather very quickly
Review: Reviews on Amazon are almost exclusively positive, with zero 1-star reviews. Most cat owners were happy with the results. Only a handful of customers noted the shampoo does not lather quickly (since it is sulfate-free).
Summary: Formulated for pets with sensitive skin, hot spots, and skin allergies, TropiClean OxyMed Hypoallergenic Shampoo offers an itch relief solution for pet owners looking for a conditioner and deodorizer in one hypoallergenic shampoo. Thanks to the oatmeal formula, the shampoo is gentle and efficient at the same time.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Vitamin E, aloe, and oatmeal moisturizers
- Supports gentle cleansing and itch-relief
- Moisturizes, conditions, and deodorizes
- Soap, parabens, dyes, and fragrance-free
- Spill and leak-resistant cap and seal
- Made in the USA
- Certain complaints about delayed shipping
Review: Cat owners are impressed with the results they get from this hypoallergenic shampoo noting it soothed their pet’s irritated skin. While most customers said it relieved skin symptoms, others have complained about faulty packaging.
Summary: Relying on naturally derived ingredients, this shampoo is ready to tackle your pet’s bath time. It is formulated with vitamin E, lactic acid, and allantoin for optimal skin and coat health. The shampoo features vet-grade ingredients and does not wash off topical flea and tick treatments. In addition to being suitable for dogs and cats, the shampoo is very affordable.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate, sodium alpha-olefin sulfonate, allantoin, vitamin E, lactic acid, allantoin
- Made with natural ingredients
- Features vitamin E, lactic acid, and allantoin
- Tearless formula safe for sensitive cats
- pH balanced for the cat’s skin
- Free from harsh chemicals and additives
- May cause dry skin in some cats
Review: Overall, the reviews are positive, with one customer even going as far as to describe this shampoo as “the best thing since life.” While few in numbers, the critical reviews express concerns over the dryness in the skin their cats seemed to experience after use of this product.
Summary: BreezyTail uses a tearless formula for this hypoallergenic shampoo to make it safe for cats and kittens. Using a formula of natural ingredients like allantoin and ceramide, this product offers a safe and effective bathing experience for your pet with sensitive skin. Plus, the shampoo comes in a convenient pump bottle.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented
Key Ingredients: Sodium cocoyl glutamate, lauryl betaine, sodium cocoyl isethionate
- Nourishes, moisturizes, and deodorizes
- Strengthens the natural skin barrier
- Tearless and pH-balanced formula
- Safe for cats to ingest when self-cleaning
- Full transparency in manufacturing and ingredients
- Packaging may not hold up well to transit
Review: Most reviews on Amazon are positive, with an emphasis on the condition in which it leaves their cats’ coats after use. However, the prevailing complaint is the packaging quality or, better said, the fact it can leak during shipping.
Summary: Awarded by the German Dermatological Research Institute, HYPONIC Hypoallergenic Shampoo uses 100% natural ingredients that are safe and nourishing on the cat’s skin. It comes in two different scent options and an easy-use pump bottle. The shampoo is free from harmful and harsh chemicals and can be used on cats of all life stages.
Shampoo Scent: Unscented/Cotton blossom
Key Ingredients: Babassu seed oil, coconut-based cleansers, plant-based conditioners
- Cleans and conditions cat’s fur
- Produces a rich and creamy lather
- Two fragrances (unscented and cotton blossom)
- Safe and DERMATEST rated
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- More expensive price
Review: Cat owners are overwhelmingly positive regarding how well the shampoo cleans and conditions their pet’s fur and skin. The recurring complaint revolves around the strength of the scent from the cotton-blossom option of this shampoo.
Summary: Using a no-rinse formula TropiClean Hypoallergenic is the best waterless cat shampoo for sensitive skin. The shampoo nourishes the pet’s skin with a cucumber and oatmeal extract. It also moisturizes and deodorizes. The gentle formula can be used for daily grooming.
Shampoo Scent: Light coconut
Key Ingredients: Purified water, natural cleansers, cucumber extract, oatmeal extract
- Easy-use, dry shampoo formula
- With naturally derived ingredients
- Free of parabens and dyes
- Can be used on cats and dogs
- Made by a family-owned, USA brand
- The full ingredients list is not available online
Review: Many reviewers are complimentary regarding the deodorizing effects this shampoo had on their pet, with some noting it made their pet’s fur “so fluffy,” although others were quick to note the lack of transparency in the ingredients made them uneasy.
What Should I Look for in Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoos?
Here are some of the things to consider before clicking checkout on a hypoallergenic cat shampoo:
- Ingredients. The hypoallergenic cat shampoo should contain natural ingredients with skin-soothing features like oatmeal, shea butter, buttermilk, aloe vera, etc.
- Balanced pH. It goes without saying that the shampoo needs to be pH-balanced for pets. If not pH-balanced, they lead to skin issues, dandruff, and an increased risk of infections.
- No Harsh Chemicals. To be gentle on the skin, the shampoo must be free from artificial and harsh chemicals such as parabens, soaps, sulfates, phthalates, MEA, DEA, dyes, fragrances, etc.
- Convenient Use. The shampoo should be easy-to-use. Ideally, it will lather quickly and come in a pump bottle or other bottle type that is easy to handle.
- Scent. This may not seem like the most important factor, but you must think about the scent, especially if using the shampoo often. There are scented and unscented options.
- Brand. Finally, check the brand you are considering. Ideally, it is based in the USA and makes shampoos with cruelty-free practices. Read customer reviews to learn more about the brand.
- It will leave your pet's coat soft, plush, and smelling naturally fresh.
- It cleanses thoroughly and safely, and even the most sensitive skin will not be affected because we used only mild, safe, non-irritants.
- This product contains no: parabens, phosphates, pthalates, DEA, synthetic dyes or perfumes.
What Ingredients Should Not be in a Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo?
Artificial additives and harsh chemicals should not be in a hypoallergenic cat shampoo. Here is an in-depth review of the ingredients cat owners must avoid:
- Sulfates. Sulfates are commonly found in shampoos. They act as cleansers and create lather. Most sulfates are harsh and can worsen skin symptoms and irritation.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are fragrances used to enhance the shampoo’s scent. They are known to cause severe hormonal problems.
- Parabens. Parabens are preservatives. They are used in pet shampoos to extend the shelf life. However, they absorb, accumulate in the cat’s body, and cause hormonal disorders.
- Artificial Fragrances. Artificial fragrances can be derived from different ingredients. Based on their origin, they can cause reproductive issues, developmental toxicity, and cancer.
- Artificial Colors. Artificial colors are extracted from petroleum and linked with health issues like allergic reactions, cancer, organ failure, and congenital disabilities.
How Often Should You Bathe a Cat With Hypoallergenic Shampoo?
However, the exact bathing frequency also depends on the cat’s individual needs – skin health, life stage, and lifestyle. If you are not sure about the bathing schedule, consult with your trusted vet.
How Fast does Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo Work?
The hypoallergenic cat shampoos start working as soon as it is massaged into the cat’s fur and skin. However, based on the severity of the cat’s skin problem, it may take a few baths before you can see an improvement.
How Long does Hypoallergenic Cat Shampoo Last?
It is recommended you bathe your cat every 4-6 weeks. Since most hypoallergenic shampoos come in small bottles, one purchase is likely to last a few months.
It should also be noted that hypoallergenic cat shampoo formulas tend to be more expensive than regular cat shampoos. However, they are of higher quality and lather easily, thus allowing owners to use smaller amounts of product per bathing session.